Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Unfortunately GW is showing its ugly head at Adepticon this year, and in force. They bought up a ridiculous amount of table space for Age of Sigmar tournaments and made it tough for other games to find tables to accommodate their players. Our guy has been fighting tooth and nail just to secure us spots for 30 players for our 9th Age tournament. but I'm worried about what might have had to have been cut just to get us those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

I see this as a good thing. They are working hard to work with the community again under their new leadership... blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

The point I was bringing up is that GW is forcing other games out of the available space, though. That's a clearly predatory move in an environment that's previously been about showcasing as many games to as many people as possible. GW is trying to turn Adepticon into a GW event, instead of an industry-wide tabletop wargaming event.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Have their own event

thank you based boneman

Exactly. Games Day had been a thing for so long and already had a significant reputation behind it. I see no reason why they couldn't' just start including tournaments at Games Day as well as the other events they hold there. The 40k and Age of Sigmar events at Adepticon have been going just fine without their involvement. Obviously the Adepticon runners could have refused GW's money if they really believed in keeping Adepticon equal-opportunity, but I'm sure GW has enough to throw around that it would have been silly for them to refuse.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

I'm mostly just angry because our events got shitcanned to the equivalent of a closet somewhere, when previously we'd been in the big, open ballroom where plenty of gamers could come by and see our game being played, ask questions, etc. I'm confident GW will have no problem filling their slots, as I'm sure they've been advertising their appearance at Adepticon more than well enough.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

What events got shunted? (Genuine question as I may come check them out.)

:unsmith:

All of the 9th Age events are being held in the Nirvana room this year. This includes the Warbands and Big Brawl events for Thursday, the Team Tournament on Friday, and the Grand Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

It's a pretty fancy hotel, so I don't know if I could describe any room as bad. It's just off to the side and fairly private, rather than the big-open space of one of the main ballrooms. While it does mean that it'll likely be a bit quieter than the ballrooms, it also means we'll receive less foot traffic, and get less exposure to encourage potential new players.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Can you go into more detail? This sounds entertaining.

In Fantasy 8th Edition, there was an expensive magic item called Fozzrick's Folding Fortress that allowed the buyer to place down a piece of terrain equivalent to a Citadel Watchtower before the game starts. The building rules were so heavily skewed toward those residing inside the building and many armies' units could be made virtually invincible by placing them in this tower on top of an objective, or if you had to kill them in order to get victory points. Ever tried to shift 50 zombies from a tower in batches limited to 10 at a time while the zombies are mechanically incapable of leaving the tower and your opponent can resurrect more than you kill each turn? This only gets more ridiculous as you put different units inside this building. Like, for instance, the Dogs of War unit Long Drong's Slayer Pirates, a unit of piratical dwarven slayers armed with braces of pistols. Shoot your pistols at your enemy as they approach. If they charge you, you get a stand and shoot reaction from any distance because you're a dwarf. Because you're a unit of dwarf slayers not only are you unbreakable from combat, but you're also highly competent and may even make your enemies flee. Even if you lose, because you're unbreakable, your opponent has to back off of the building 1". Now you get two more rounds of shooting as they try to advance on you again. Ad infinitum.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ah, I'm mixing up special rules in my old age. Braces of Pistols had Quick to fire, which would allow them to Stand and Shoot at any range. The dwarf rule to ignore the penalty for doing so is just gravy.

Show me that dwarf.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

"Right, so the objective is to hold the building in the center of the board."

"I ring a bell so loud that I blow up the building."

"What's the objective now?"

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

By comparison, the 9th Age rules team realized quickly how silly buildings could be if they tried to make them similar to their previous function. Now, they're pieces of glorified Impassible Terrain. Certain unit types that aren't too large can move through the buildings provided they're fast enough that all models can fit on the other side. And if enough of the unit moves through it, they'll gain Hard Cover. Easy peasy.

• Locked thread