Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Now that Age of Sigmar has grown the beard a bit. I feel like giving it a chance.

Thinking of going Skaven cause they are cheap compared to everything else from what I can see. Spires of Dawn looks like a good deal to get started for that. (Plus I get some elves that I can use to play with some friends as well.)

What would a good AoS Skaven army look like to you guys. Kind of bad at seeing how synergy works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have played 40 and have lots of models for it.

It's not that hard. Move first few models using measuring stick. This tells you were the other models would be and you don't need to use the stick because you know the distance now. This is not breaking the rules as by the rules the measuring stick is not required just a useful tool.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 3, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razzled posted:

does this game actually suck why is there so much facetiousness around it? all the LGS' seem to be exploding with popularity for this game

The rules themselves are not bad. There was just no balance at first and now there is so the game has greatly improved. They are even going to release a redone Generals Handbook with more stuff that will likely imrpove it further. It would have been nice if the general's handbook was in from the start, but now that its here I don't have a ton to complain about. (not that there are still not problems but they tend to be little things that need to be ironed out.)

Setting is still kinda lame compared to the old world however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

You might want to still get the chaos book then. You get Chaos Allegiance for undifferentiated Skaven if you want, and some batallions that might be good. I think the only Skryre allegiance ability (every unit must have Skryre keyword) right now is getting Stormfiends as Battleline so you don't have to move/manage a billion Clanrats.

Generals handbook has all the grand alliance allegiances.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

So I'm gonna list stuff I've been buying or want to get, can anyone help me shape this into some semblance of a coherent list and tell me what easy holes to fill? I'm just getting models I like, but would like something that performs okay.

1 Skaven Warlord
1 Arch Warlock
1 Warlock Engineer
1 Packmaster
40 Clanrats
2 Rat Ogors
1 Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team
1 Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team
1 Slambo in a Lambo
16 Chaos Warriors
1 Doomwheel
1 unit of 3 Stormfiends
1 Verminlord

I know Jezzails are good for shooting but I'm still trying to figure out how I want to kitbash some.

Honestly buying another spires of dawn set for another set of skaven would be nice for you. (It's a stupidly good deal as it's only 10 dollars more then 2 units of clan rats) you should also add a unit of stormvermin. Maybe a Grey Seer and you would probbably be pretty set.

I would add one or two units of rattling guns myself as well, as I want to start a skaven army.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serotonin posted:

Against my better judgement, and much prior mockery of AoS on my part, I've started playing AoS.

My only get out is that I'm playing with a friend, my 10 year old and his 12 yr old and a few of his school friends. I'd tried Kings of War with them but it didn't engage them ( despite being a much better game). AoS seems to work for young kids who want to mash a load of action figures together, and once I'd put aside my reservations regarding a lot of the rules ( especially the shooting) it was actually quite fun.

You should still use points.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus even if you get a double turn the combat phase has input from both players. So one of them won't be doing nothing during both.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dexefiend posted:

The bits dealers on eBay forced me to start buying Khorne Bloodbound.

I got half the AoS starter, Slaughterpriest, second Bloodsecrator, second Bloodstoker, 5 more Blood Warriors.

$100 for all this! it is like it's affordable to play Age of Sigmar!

You get a starting Skaven and High Elf army for 80 dollars with Spires of Dawn.

(Like it's a stupidly good deal compared to pretty much all Games workshop products.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Somtimes you don't want a double turn so having the ability to deny your opponent it by making them go first can be good as well. (Close Combat armies don't really benefit from it as much for example)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serotonin posted:

I do wonder how AoS would play with alternating activations.

Well that is what happens with combats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

I started looking through the AoS BRB, and what the gently caress. Granted, I'm only about 20 pages in, and a lot of those are just art, but it's like I'm coming in on book two of a series. I am very familiar with the old WFB lore, as well as 40K, and this AoS book appears to be "just take what you already know about 40K and replace certain parts with this!" There doesn't appear to be any world building or attempt to explain anything.

I would have been happy with "Once, there was the Old World. It is long gone, having been destroyed by the forces of Chaos, and much has changed. Over millennia, the forces of Sigmar have been in a fighting retreat, but are now prepared to push back against the tide of darkness..."

Bam. Justification of why everything is different and why names have changed. But so far, nothing, and it is very frustrating. Does it get any better or am I wasting my time reading this book for background?

While the rules have grown on me. The setting still is not all that great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gotten any reveals here or was it just 40 k stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To expand a bit. Armies have allegiances which give them bonuses. If you have a death army you would use the death allegiance. But if your death army consists entirely of units with the flesh eater courts keyword they can instead use the Flesh Eater Court allegiance. Which gives a different set of bonuses

A quick note that no matter your composition summoned units don't count. So if wanted to summon some Skeletons and you are playing flesh eaters it, it won't break your allegiance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MCPeePants posted:

And aren't Flesh Eaters the only subfaction that's been expanded since AoS hit? So the options are either Flesh Eater Courts or generic Death?

Yeah so far Flesh Eaters are the only one for death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Need to clean up some flash and his knee some more but I like how these conversions are coming

Is that a warrior of chaos or a Stormcast with a warrior of chaos head.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elblanco posted:

So, my friend is wanting me to try AoS, but I have reservations. I mainly remember the botched release, and that the general's handbook is $40 and makes it an actually a game. I also hated that they nuked fantasy for such a weird setting.

I want to give the game a fair try though, so what are the reasons for and against playing? I loved lizardmen in fantasy. and stormcast and orruks look cool for aos.

General's handbook is not $40. But an update to the general's handbook is coming out at some point.

Other the standard Starter Set. Spires of Dawn is also a real good deal for dollar. But only if you are interested in Skaven or High Elves. (Though I guess the same could be said for the starter set, just with Chaos and Stormcast.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 1, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As for +'s and -'s

+Most of the game's rules are free.
+Game is way simpler and easier to get into then any other Warhammer edition. It's streamlining is very solid at this point.
+Warscrolls are cool.
+All the info to use a unit is on the warscroll no need for a lot flipping back and forth.
+The missions and stuff involving narrative campaigns are pretty fun.
+Game is pretty well balanced in most cases.

-Not all factions in the game have gotten the same amount of attention so you have to use the default in lots of cases.
-Some poo poo is expensive.
-Setting is weird and not nearly as good as the old world.
-Weird names for a lot of things. I will call an Orruk an Orc the change was unneeded.
-Tomb Kings and Brettonia seem to be gone. (Though there are reports of the Kings coming back.)

Subjective, some like this, some don't.
=Game turns have a factor of randomness to them. As the person who goes first is determined randomly each round. Depending on Army having two turns can be good or bad for you.
=No initiative so the game has alternating activations. The player whose turn it is decides which of his units is attacking first in the combat phase, then his opponent picks one of his units to fight. This does allow
the other player to have more input on the combat phase. After not getting to do anything during the move and shooting phases.
=Units can shoot in and out of combat.

I can't really think of anything else right now. But feel free to ask any questions to jog my memory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

That's alot of unexpected pluses. I haven't followed the game rules since release, has it really improved that much since then?

Yeah the generals handbook pretty much saved the game.

A new generals handbook is coming out at some point that will apparently make it even more robust.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Where can I find a decent overview of it?

I looked up a review and this is the first one on the list. http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2016/08/review-generals-handbook.html

It has a pretty good overview of the book. Books also pretty cheap if you want to get it and I think you can get it in pdf form as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mechanically it's still a bad game even if it is fast to play and streamlined. Most of the target values are arbitrary and unnecessary and can be simplified into a single roll, but because of cargo cult game design there's still a to hit and to wound roll made before the to save. The D6 isn't granular enough to represent the range of power levels in the game, so they had to create a two tiered system not totally unlike Palladium's SDC and MDC weapons, and if you are adjacent to the same design space as Kevin Siembieda, you're doing something wrong.

I don't mind there being multiple rolls to kill somthing. If there was only a hit and save roll everything would die too easily.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Leperflesh posted:

But the thing that most people complain about here is not just the completely unnecessary "roll against one target and then roll successes again against another target" - it's the fact both of those target numbers are determined by the attacker. In other words, whatever the likelihood a given unit has of causing wounds, is the same regardless of who they're attacking. The only thing the target affects is the save roll (plus any special abilities tacked on).

This is different from how it was in warhammer fantasy, where attacker and defender compared stats to find the target numbers needed.

Though the former is easier. Less checking for stuff. But I can understand liking it better the other way.

40k 8th ed seems to be going for to hit is determined by attacker, wound is determined by difference between attackers strength and defenders toughness.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Easier" is such a weird thing to say here because it's literally, "What's your defense value?" and your opponent either knows it because he knows the stats of the units he brought or checks his warscrolls. Either way, there has to be communication between the two of you. It's the difference between saying, "These are my target values," after you check and him saying, "Here is your target value," after he checks.

In fact, you're actually saving time and making things easier because you're just eliminating the to wound roll and combining it with the save roll.

Whenever I read these supposed "pluses" of AoS, things like "you only have to know the stats of your units", it sounds to me like what they're actually saying is, "We know you don't want to interact with another human being any more than is absolutely necessary, so we'll make sure that you can basically play your half of the game without ever speaking to your opponent."

It's not like other games require you to know the stats of your units and your opponent's units. That's why people have printed sheets and we have mouths and ears.

That's a dark way to look at it.

Also previously you would have to look at a chart unless you memorized it while confirming stuff with your opponent, now you just need to look at one number. So yes it's easier now. Yes things could be changed to make it even simpler but I don't think thats really needed. And as I said I don't think wound and save rolls should be combined. I prefer three chances to two.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Leperflesh posted:

I hope we don't have to belabor the point. It's a clear flaw in the game, but it's not a huge deal in play. To me, it's more interesting as a point of evidence on the heap that age of sigmar was designed by someone who didn't really understand game design, or at least, wasn't familiar with non-gw game designs.

More novel, and to me more ugly, are all the weird measurement and piling in rules.

This is not a flaw. This is subjective. As shown by people arguing against you and saying its not a flaw.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 1, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

But the bigger problem was that the game's granularity cannot actually be supported by D6 rolls even with the system as presented. They had to implement mortal wounds to have an entirely different scale of D6 rolls within those constraints.

Mortal wounds a different thing. Pretty much stuff coming from more powerful attacks. They don't even roll to hit in most cases. Lots don't even use d6's. So I don't get why this is a complaint.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

People disagreeing is not evidence of subjectivity.

Then what is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sure you can enroll in the local community college and they'll have an introduction to philosophy class that will cover it. I'm not trying to be glib, it's just a fairly complicated topic and a derail that is far outside the scope of this thread.

But what you're unfortunately saying is that if one scientist presents evidence of climate change and another rejects it, then climate change must be subjective. The evidence collected may have been good, the rejection may or may not have been valid, but these are beside the point. The disagreement does not make the topic subjective.

Likewise, you may dislike or disagree with our analysis of the mechanics of Age of Sigmar, but in doing so you do not make the quality or efficiency of those mechanics subjective.

The mechanics are merely a tool and all tools can be evaluated by the metric of how good they are at doing what they are intended to do and the fact that it isn't difficult at all to offer improvements to the system demonstrates that they are not particularly good tools.

That also isn't to say that they don't work or that you can't personally like them, just that they could objectively be better.

But we disagreed they were improvements and Games tend to be subjective by nature. And they could objectively be simpler not better.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 1, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Atlas Hugged posted:

I should also point out the origin of this derail. I wasn't making a weekly reminder that Age of Sigmar is bad. I was specifically replying to an inquiry into the current state of the game and if things had really been improved. My response to that was no because it's still fundamentally a bad game.

Which is subjective.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serotonin posted:

Here's a couple of WIP shots of some models for me and my sons armies .

Those are really awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GreenMarine posted:

20 grots is 100 points so bringing 1 grot requires you to pay that full unit cost.

10 orruks is 100 points also.

So 200 points to field just those two models. :D

I will never call them Orruks or Grots. They are Orcs and goblins and will be so forever to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The only somewhat ok name change is the Lizardmen to Seraphon. But it's still a incompetent change because they already called something else Seraphon. Seraphon is the name of the Black Dragon that Malekith rides.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

:laffo:

No, Seraphon was dumb too. They did zero research and when they re-released them, the top google search results were all pokemon/furry tickle fetish stuff off of one dude's deviantart. It's still there if you scroll down a bit on an image search.

Oh I agree it's unneeded and dumb. (Particularly since they named something else Seraphon already.) But it still seems to be the name change that people complain about the least. And it can at least work as a race name like Skaven does. But it is unnecessary and stupid to do in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

How good are Seraphon? A friend of mine had a huge Lizardmen WFB army that he gave to me to paint and play with.

I have:

Engine of the Gods
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur
5 Kroxigor
2 Salamanders
2 Saurus Lords
2 Skink Priests
3 Terradon Riders
7 Saurus Knights
30 Saurus Warriors
21 Skinks with blowguns
25 Skinks with shields and spears.

I'm mostly just unclear on how to build an army around this. I definitely want to pick up a Slaan priest and a Bastiladon.

They seem to be from what I heard a pretty solid army that likes doing morale damage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can you not run the same hero more than once?

Certain ones I think. But more to the point but having more then one Stardrakes is kind of superfluous as they are expensive and you should only be able to field one. (Plus you could easily sell one and get a ton of other models.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Assuming they did any market research (lol) they may have decided people didn't have room at home for 6x4 tables and 4x4 mats were more likely to sell to people shopping in GW stores.

Market research is something they have improved on.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 21, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Now is a hot time to get into Nurgle. Tzeench and Khorne stuff recently got big rules releases that made them into much more synergistic forces for people who want to mix mortal and daemonkin. With Death Guard being a big thing in the next 40k release, this summer is likely to feature a similar Nurgle supplement for AoS fleshing them out as a faction and you can get in on the ground floor.

In my own personal misadventures, I played my Spire of Dawn box Skaven against a Blades of Khorne army and later a Sylvaneth army. That box is not very good on its own y'all :) I poo poo the bed in deployment vs the Khorne army, and the Treelord and Kurnoth just tore me apart in the Sylvaneth match. Coming from fighting games and Magic, it's a little frustrating having to learn nuance in so many aspects when you can't quickly iterate games, but I'm still having fun.

Getting some Stormvermin and maybe another spire of dawn set would probably help your forces. (Also Rattling Guns)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah I'm trying to get what I have painted before I start buying more stuff, but I definitely want some more shooting and to shift away from the contents of that box, especially because I constantly forget the extra combat part of the Batallion and have goofed up the reserve deployment both times. That box is still great value for what it is, it's just severely lacking in synergy and doesn't have much raw power or a consistent gameplan to compensate.

Long term plan is to move to a Skryre force with Stormfiends so I'm not keen on buying a second box.

That is fair.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The skeleton getting started set contains Arkhan the Black who is a pretty nice centerpiece model.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zuul the Cat posted:

So if a unit has multiple weapons in it's warscroll (for example, the Drakesworn Templar has a Tempest Axe, an Arc Hammer, a Stormlance and the Stardrake's Great Claw) - you get to attack with whatever you equipped him with, correct? As well as the Stardrake getting to attack as well?

Yep you get to attack with all weapons you are equipped with the number of times they can attack with them.

Most infantry has a choice of weapons though so they don't get to attack with weapons they don't have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In news Age of Sigmar is getting a role playing game alongside Fantasy getting a new role playing game. (Though the lines will be seperate) Hopefully this allows them to work on the setting a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

They could really do some cool stuff with AoS as the Old World's afterlife or its shadow in the Warp - somehow letting both settings coexist in some way would be to everyone's benefit.

Yeah it being something like Warhammer's planescape to the Old Worlds material plane could work well.

They are making a new Warhammer Fantasy game alongside the Age of Sigmar one, and with the popularity of stuff like Total Warhammer and Vermintide maybe they will bring the Old World back as a setting.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread