Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bombogenesis posted:

I really want a Man-Eater wearing dumb steampunk dorf armor now. Bonus points if it has an ogre sized beardgun mask.

And like three of those balloon pack things to keep him in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So I dug out my old Ogre army.

Holy hell Ogres are fun in AoS. Ironguts are obscenely strong.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've been playing a lot of Moonclan Grots (the former Night Goblins).

They have a really interesting archetype, that they're sort of a "glass cannon horde" army. Thanks to the battleshock stuff, they lose a lot of models when it comes to morale stuff, but the Moonclan Boss' leader ability is giving all of them double damage for that turn. So the idea is to get the alpha strike with them before they start fleeing en masse.

Also the shaman can start tripping out mid-game after eating bad mushrooms :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Chaos has an artefact that lets you throw out Inspiring Presence in addition to another command ability. Can you get anything like that to stem the morale bleeding?

Sadly not. Bad leadership is Destruction's cross to bear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

So my initial thought was to get a start collecting box of slaves to darkness and nurgle daemons, and maybe a unit of blightkings. Should I wait until the summer to see if there's more nurgle releases then? I know that AoS tends to have bigger squads of stuff so the 5 blightkings and 10 plaguebearers probably wouldn't get me very far.

Unless you're playing a horde army, squads are actually smaller than usual! For example, 5 blight kings and 10 plaguebearers are already 280pts.

As for waiting, I promise plaguebearers and blight kings will still be pretty foremost in most Nurgle armies, and I doubt that's gonna change.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

chutche2 posted:

I see. Plague bearers get harder to hit when 20 strong, but so they're not usually fielded like that?

I've not looked at Nurgle stuff at all, so it's up to you, really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NORTH-HALL posted:

Can night gobbos bring any fight to these new armies?

Oh hey, I play night gobbos (we're called Moonclan now) and can answer this!

Yes we can. Fanatics still hit terrifyingly hard, and our heroes are still great value for points.

The troops are also surprisingly good for what they do. Yes, their bravery is dismal and they will flee at any provocation, but they have a great synergy: The boss' command ability. 20" range, can only be cast on Moonclan units. The target unit, until the next turn, every to wound roll of 6 does double damage. If you put that on a 40 man spear unit, it does HORRIFIC amounts of damage.

This makes them a weird niche: A glass cannon horde army. You want to smash a big block of goblins into the opponent ASAP, wipe as many out as quickly as you can, then pray enough of the cowardly little bastards hang around to mop up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NORTH-HALL posted:

Haha cool, thanks, glass cannon horde sounds rad. I'll give me gobbos a go in AoS at some point then.

Will my Giant duo be any good? I cannot tell from these stats. Can I even run them with Moonclan?

Yup, Giants are Destruction, so you can run them alongside Moonclan. Moonclan don't have a book or any bonuses for staying in their allegiance, so you can mix in any other Destruction units without losing any benefits, beyond "Not being able to use the boss' ability on non-moonclan."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Urgh, I wanna make a Chaos army centered around (but not exclusively) Slaves to Darkness, but I dunno which god, if any, I wanna dedicate them to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Bought my first box of Chaos Warriors for my Slaves to Darkness.

For a sculpt older than the concept of time, they're still fantastic models.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The sprues of the current ones say 2003. Still pretty bloody old.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

richyp posted:

They mix really well with the bits from the Khorne Bloodwarriors, and with some cutting spares from the Nurgle Blightkings too. I'll hopefully have finished my box of Warriors tomorrow then I really should move on to the Seraphon stuff, but I may have bought some more Chaos stuff "by accident".

I'm aiming for like, modular StD. Able to slot different gods in, so it's basically 4 armies in one, depending on my mood. Just gonna do gunmetal and tarnished gold armour.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

The 2003 Chaos Warriors was the first time I started to realize that GW may not have been making models intended for use in their own game.

Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous kit. But I had a hell of a time getting them to rank. The Marauders lined up nice and easy though.

I'll say those metal bloodletters were my favorite incarnation of that unit. Nice and bestial look.

I really should do something with my Chaos fantasy army. It probably wouldn't take me long to paint up the last few units.

But the 03 warriors are the ones that rank up really easily because their arms are at perfect right angles at their sides.. It was the ones before that were famously hard to rank up.

The worst unit to rank up will forever be Black Orcs, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Now I'm just dying to see your Slaaneshi addition.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

God bless online deals. I got the Ironjawz SC box for £37.50. So I managed to get a warchanter, 10 ardboys and 3 goregruntas for less than JUST the 3 goregruntas.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, it was Darksphere. I find their delivery is usually great too, even the cheapest tier is normally only two days before it arrives.

Once I get that and get it assembled and painted etc, I'll grab the skirmish box. That'd mean I'd have:

A Warchanter
A Weirdnob
15 Ardboys
5 Brutes
3 Gore Gruntas

So that's the best part of a 1k list. These new bundle boxes are so good.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Surprisingly, apparently the middle-ground all-rounder faction are the orcs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Percelus posted:

i'm glad they're focusing on the city lore with the new box releases

Yeah, doing some worldbuilding is a really good idea, since it's the thing most people complain about in regards to AoS' fluff.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I have some Dragon Princes coming in the mail and I am excited to build some fancy Elf boys. In AoS are they still on calvary bases or on like a 40mm round or something?

Also, changing the name to Dragon Blades is dumb. :colbert:

Cavalry is 35x60mm ovals, I think?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nifara posted:

I'm thinking about starting up a sigmar force, and I'm on edge between kharadron overlords and sylvaneth.

Anyone who plays either able to fill me in on any quirks, pitfalls, etc of these factions before I commit?

They're both solid armies that are more or less guaranteed future support.

Toss a coin, really.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hey, what colour did you put on those baserims? Because my main colour for my ironjawz is silver too, and I'm also gonna do grey bases, and that brown totally works.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

JcDent posted:

They're not steam, they're gold gas dorfs. Don't know why both Hardon Overloads and naked streakers had to have gooooold as the main driver of civilisation.

Now, if the updated Empire went all "just buy Perry WoatR/100yw stuff," I'd be game.

"Dwarves love gold" is a trope that goes back as far as Tolkien.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

DiHK posted:

Beards, big noses... :aaaaa:

Yeah, Tolkien was...not particularly enlightened when it comes to racial stereotypes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I got the Stormcast battletome because I am a man of bad decisions, and the way the lore is written is weird. It's like Games Workshop assumed that someone who bought the book somehow wouldn't be sold on playing an army of ten-foot-tall golden supermen powered by lightning and stars. Every bit of the lore is desperately trying to sell you on how cool the Stormcast are and how awesome it is when they fight, which comes across as incredibly flat. By contrast, what little I've read of the Ironjawz and the Skydorfs seems way more into details of how they're organized and their cultural stuff (like the gag of orcs being able to count past ten being a myth nobody believes). It's weird.

My favourite part of the fluff so far is that the Ironjawz have pulled down a massive statue of Archaeon on three seperate occasions.

"There can be no mistaking the handiwork of the Ironjawz. One of their most famous acts of vandalism was the defacement of the monolithic statue of Archaon which stood over the Manticore Realmgate that leads to the Allpoints. Three times have different Ironjaw warclans brought it down. The first time, the Everchosen’s helm was recarved into the grinning face of Gork, so Archaon sent a legion to guard over its repair. The second time, the head was taken off entirely and replaced with a huge wooden grot head. Incensed, Archaon ordered the expansion of the Manticore Dreadhold. The third time, the Ironjawz brought down the walls and raised a crude idol to Gork over the fallen statue of Archaon. Now, a new Lord of Chaos commands the rebuilt Manticore Dreadhold, peering into the wastes as orruk drums rumble in the distance."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

Sanguinary Guard death masks?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So looks like I'm starting Pestilens/eventually Nurgle Mash because apparently I just hate having money.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Or basically rolling a 6 at any time with Pestilens. Basically everything in the faction deals mortal wounds somehow. Hell, plague monks even deal mortal wounds by DYING.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

No, Skaven are their own distinct thing. If there is a combined Nurgle book it'll be Daemons, Rotbringers and maybe marked regular Beastmen.

If it's anything like the Khorne and Tzeentch books, Pestilens will still feel the benefit since they'll just run as Nurgle Mortals. Like how StD can just take MoK/MoT and gain access to the stuff from those books.

Anyway, I spent a bit putzing about in photoshop to decide the scheme for my Stormcast. What do you guys think of this?

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 12, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Milotic posted:

These are all terrible answers. The correct behaviour when going into a GW store is to stare at boxes from armies you’ve yet to start collecting, go “Hmmm tempting”, waver, think about the backlog, the potential for raised spousal eyebrows, if the box is small enough to sneak home.

And then you put it back and buy some more Orks, because if 60 Boyz is good, imagine what 90 will be like.

It’s like some of you don’t even have a plastic crack addiction.

Don't forget the old routine of going in for one pot of paint and coming out with at least triple that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

moths posted:

Ok I keep trying (and failing) to get started with this. I have a bunch of Khorne Daemons on round bases, and a pile of the Bloodborne Bloodbros from the boxed set. Do I need the Blades of Khorne book to use them? Or the reference cards? Or neither? And I have this year's General's Handbook but not the 2016 one. I also downloaded the Chaos Daemons PDF. There's a lot going on and it's confusing.

Strictly speaking, all you need to play is the 4-page main rules and the datacards found on each unit's page on GW's site.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is also no reason to ever buy a Mortarch on their own when you can get ether the battleforce box or the start collecting box. As the Mortarch more or less costs the the entire price (Or half the price in the upcoming battleforce box.

There's a few boxes like this. The Ironjawz SC (Everything but the Gore Gruntaz are free) and the Seraphon SC (everything but the Carnosaur)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

I ended up getting a pretty good haul of Khorne Blood Bound. I've never played them, and I'm not sure what's good, but they look awesome as hell and I've always wanted a Khorne army.

Here's what I got:

Bloodthirster (with giant 2 handed axe)
3 Bloodsecrators
1 Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 Slaughter Priest
6 Khorgorath
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
1 Aspiring Deathbringer (Goreaxe & Skullhammer)
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
5 Wrathmongers (that aren't built. I could build them as the other option - skull takers?)
10 Blood Warriors
20 Blood Reavers

And of course, I have Garrek Gorebeards Warband from Underworlds.

What Can I do with this list? Any tips for tactics?

Well, you RIP AND TEAR of course.

KBB is a very buff-focused army, all about using those heroes to make your battlelines unstoppable range monsters. 3 Bloodsecrators will go a long, long way.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

2k games take way too long. 1k forever.

1k is the sweet spot between quick games and having a decent selection of lists. Plus it limits the ability of Battalion Buff Bullshit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Attack of the forehead gaps!

Edit: On a more serious note I like the vibrancy of the lava on your bases and the rest of your paintjob is decent, but I think leaving the very obvious seams in the forehead unfilled really detracts from the appearance.

That particular seam is INCREDIBLY difficult to fix on Bloodletters.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

AoS becoming Frank Frazetta: The Wargame would own.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Would chaos warriors painted green with rusted weapons look Nurgle enough? Like, without any conversion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SRM posted:

Totally. If you had extra Blightking bits to mix in that could enhance the look of the unit but it'd be completely fine and look super good.

Would the scale look alright? Aren't Blightkings bigger than warriors?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

They also don't make sense from a gameplay perspective, seeing as how Chaos Warriors are already chaos stormcast. Exact same statline as Liberators.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Battleline Nurglings

Even Plaguebearers are pretty cheap for what you get.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Urgh, I know I wanna play a Destruction army, but I really can't decide on which one.

Ironjawz are cool, but they basically have a single list at 1k.
Bonesplitters have fun fluff, but they're expensive and will probably never be expanded.
Gutbusters were my first choice, but kits are getting hard to come by, will probably never be expanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Decided to go with fluff over gameplay, and bought into Bonesplitterz.

Time to kill the biggest monster I can find.

• Locked thread