Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Age of Sigmar is cool and good, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What would be the plural of SLAMBO.

Slambi? Slambles? Slambronies?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've been using the bare heads from the Deathwatch kit alongside a mix of Statuesque's lady heads for my Stormcast. There's a tiny bionic bit over the ear of the Deathwatch guys, but that's easily cut away and sculpted over. Makes them look so much less homogenious.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

thats pretty absurd if youve already bought a bunch of overpriced gw crap and decided to use third party bits to make them look less dumb that it would disqualify you from playing in a gw tourney

Official line is still about 75% of the model has to be Citadel in GW events, so a headswap or pre-sculpted base is fine.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Booyah- posted:

Is there anything in the rumor mill about undead and specifically skeletons and tomb kings?

Nothing so far. The rumour engine thing on Warham Community the other week was a tombstone, though that could be anything in Warhams.

Lore-wise, Nagash is hiding at home after striking a deal with Archaon to backstab Sigmar (again) while Neferata's doing all the busy work of keeping the Realm of Death from being completely over-run with Chaos Warbands and Flesh Eaters. Stab in the dark, we could see a expanded Vampire faction with Neferata (And Manfred, maybe, if he can keep his betrayal boner in his pants) as head honcho.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They're definitely an interesting faction. I've only played against them a few times, but their replenishment abilities their heroes throw out make them surprisingly resilient. Their lore seems pretty neat as well.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Preview for the AoS app is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/06/your-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-app-updated/

Seems to be an optional side-grade; adds the Match Play points, lets you make customizable/printable army lists.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone know how often "temporarily out of stock" webstore stuff gets restocked?

I've got some Skaven dudes I want to buy.

About a fortnight or so. What did you have your mind on?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Injuryprone posted:

So the FW daemon prince of nurgle is never coming back?

With FW it's a bit weird, as they'll slap the No Longer Available sticker onto products that are just getting a mould fixed or some new gating. They generally announce when they're discontinuing something nowerdays.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

drat the Arch Warlock is a character they've apparently properly discontinued (Ikit Claw) and I can only find it on one website for $60. :negative:

Only Jezzail listing I see on ebay is really old models, which are ugly and have their novelty, but look like good value even with shipping from Europe. Still think I want to try my hand and making better looking ones.

You mean this one?

'coz he's listed as being available on the English store, Jezzails to.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yarr harr fiddle de de,

Being a Sky Dorf is alright with me,

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/347176822343969/

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I'm the drill-beak parrot robot thing on the front guy's shoulder.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just sounds like the standard chapter tactic-y rules tbh.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
No, you just need to declare that you're using whatever chapter tactics you're using before the game and have a legal army if it has any restrictions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Like Marines on 28mm, they just don't quite fit if they're in the usual wide-stance.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Grab some Empire guys and give them the ol' Cotton Hill.

They stitched glued mah feet to mah knees!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

That's totally a elf.

No other faction has arms that twiggy.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New shots of that Shadespire thing. Looks like an expanded version of Gorechosen.

https://www.facebook.com/warhammerunderworlds/videos/1282403365171824/

Also jfc I'm glad they pulled the trigger on finally doing a lady Stormcast, but were the slimmed down armour and tit-bump really necessary.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Stormcast already have majestically sculpted titties on their armour though :colbert:

Agreed it's less egregious, but still, a headswap or something would've been much less work surely.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Saw that last night, seems like a super cool gesture.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Looks like Elves of some sort are up next however. Probably Dark Elves from the little serpent dragon and the albinism.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Leperflesh posted:

Don't play a horde army in a game where you have to move each individual model with a tape measure.

I've literally only seen like two people max do this ever. Do people not just move one model and then move everyone else behind them?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Xlorp posted:

Ok, then what's the best comedy option for Tree things in the new rules?
This guy with the Disciples of Tzeentch takes his hamming seriously. This army is supposed to be magic, shooting standoff?
It's easy to wrassle up and run 7 Big Lumber Trees at 2,040 points. 4 of them are wizards and I have no idea what that means against his list. I'd plan to gung ho in a Schlieffen, except with no left flank or center at all :black101:

Grab as many Wyldwoods as you can cram in. They'll protect your dudes, gently caress with the enemy if he tries to do magic too close to them and let you get across the board instantly.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's a hansome bug right there.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yes to the former, nope to the latter. They're even releasing a new armybook for Khorne stuff this weekend that'll help you mix Daemons/Mortals/Bloodbound even easier.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Thing that always hamstrung the Skele kits (and let's face it, a lot of the Fantasy kits in general) was their need to be able to rank up. Daemonettes are a prime example of this, their poses look so awkward as if the sculpter got half way through and went "poo poo, they don't rank up".

Mr.Booger posted:

Hmm, knew they were going to be shooty as basically every model has a gun, but is it weird if I think they might be too shooty? Not seeing alot of melee anything really. Maybe more will come out when the flying ball guys drop, but I think they use alot of the same weapons, so hard to see them being too much different. The self repairing ships and repairing dudes is a nice touch, but worried the games vs armies like choas might not be that engaging, as you just float around and shoot them....

I am torn, I want the ships, but not sure it would be a style of play I would enjoy.

I wasn't quite expecting AoS to get a Tau-esque shooty-manueverable army, I especially wasn't expecting it to be Dorfs of all factions to get said archetype. Reading the latest battle report in WD has soothed my balance concerns however, pinning them down with quick/expendable units so your hard hitters can catch up seems to be the best strat with dealing with them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just noticed the little skele-hand propping up the tombstone that dude's resting his foot on. :allears:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

That's a rat.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gotten any reveals here or was it just 40 k stuff.

40k new edition, looks to be taking some stuff from Sigmar.

Probably hear some stuff about the Handbook in a week or so, heard through the grapevine they'll be looking at the results and feedback from this weekend's tourny.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So, two friends of mine are getting back into Age of Sigmar as something to do on weekends and once summer comes around I'll have some free time so I figure I'll join in. They're going for Stormcast Eternals and Chaos as they're basically planning to buy the bigass box set and build out from there.

Because I'm a fluff nerd I'm intrigued by the Flesh Eater Courts, I figure I'll go full-tilt on the whole delusional monarch thing and build an army of shambling undead Brettonians, seeking the Grail in between smashing in the skulls of their enemies to feast upon the gooey brains within. Thing is I don't actually know anything about Flesh Eater Courts, the Death alliance, or really the game in general at this point. I've been told the Start Collecting box is about the most cost-effective way to start with basically any faction, but is there any consensus as to how to build a decent Flesh Eaters army beyond that?

Ghoul King generals and your Courtier heroes are the lynchpin of a Flesh Eater's army, even more-so than Vamps were back in Fantasy. Your troops will crumble fast without a hero nearby to buff and support them. Best way to take a Ghoul King is on a mount, as sticking one on a Zombie Dragon or a Terrorgeist improves both units immensely. I prefer the Zombie Dragon mount, as it gives your King a bubble of re-rolls and lets you summon Courtiers (which in turn summon more units).

Courtiers are cheap beatstick heroes with extra summoning abilities. You'll want at least one Vargulf as they blend most things in combat and can summon any infantry option Flesh Eaters can take. Haunters are best after that, as they're proper killy and can summon your best infantry. Ghasts are pitiful, but cheap and they summon more Ghouls to keep enemy units locked in place for cheap. Infernals are meh, just like their corresponding unit.

Crypt Horrors are the boyos and you want as many of them as you can handle alongside some Ghouls as tar-pits. Flayers aren't particularly good, but they can lend your army some maneuverability.

As said before, put the points into sticking a Ghoul King on top of a Terrorgeist or Dragon, they're incredibly better with him there. Terrorgeists less so, but they're practically required for Dragons.

The SC box is really good for Flesh Eaters, but you'll want to get two if you can. It'll give you enough stuff for around 1500pts, which is the sweet-spot for AoS I find.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Flesh-Eaters got updated before the General's Handbook and the newer design ethos behind Age of Sigmar started, so they don't have bonuses for running pure Flesh-Eater armies at the moment. You've nothing really to lose by chucking in a Mortis Engine or a Necromancer (or Nagash if you want to lose all your friends).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Munchables posted:

Howdy, I figured I'd ask this here. I'm using some Stormcasts for 40k, and I grabbed the Storm of Sigmar box because it was cheap for the amount of minis in it. However, I was wondering if there's a way to go about putting the Stormcast upgrade bits on the snapfit models. Any tips or links would be appreciated.

You can, but it's gonna take a lot of heavy cutting and filing. Not worth the effort imo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's a good ratte right there.

I'd maybe give the warpstone one last highlight at the tips to make it look a little sharper, but it looks pretty clean and crisp all around.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
WarhammerTV's showing off a pair of linked AoS Skirmish games on Twitch right now.

Some snippets I caught:

-Skirmish is more akin to Kill Team than Shadow War, more of a side mode than a full game in itself. Uses the same Warscrolls main AoS uses.
-Book is super cheap, £6 for the rules.
-Book comes with a list of points for every available unit. Base starting Warband is around 50 Renown points.
-No Behemoths, only units that have Plastic Kits are represented.
-Six scenarios in the book, super objective based.
-Warbands are persistent in campaigns ala Mordheim, Necromunda etc. No levelling up and units can't permanently die, but you do win points to spent on new dudes and gear/relics.
-Storywise game takes place in the ruins of Shadespire, apparently takes place after the events of the upcoming game Shadespire.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 17, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The Skirmish book has its own points listings?

Yup, each compatible unit gets a new points cost just for Skirmish.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pawl posted:

Are the point values just chopped up from the GHB or did they actually go through the trouble to rebalance the game just for skirmish battles?

Looks like a full rebalance. Apparently Ghoul Kings are among the most expensive units at 22pts.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's amazing just how much better AoS is when you're playing any battle plan other than the bog-standard deathmatch, it's not even funny how much of an improvement it makes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pawl posted:

Do some people really play without battleplans? :confused:

Oh god, do they ever.

It kills me inside when I see regulars to my store play dull rear end deathmatch games of AoS or 40k and then bitch about how bland the game was... but then when you suggest they play a different scenario or battleplan they balk at the very idea.

C'mon my dudes, you're actively making either game worse for yourself.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Blightkings, I've seen them mince through squad after squad at that 10 man threshold.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The guys that are doing the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay are also doing a Age of Sigmar Roleplay game.

http://cubicle7.co.uk/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-roleplaying-game-announced/

Apparently they're going to be completely different systems? Rather curious to see how it turns out, and if it'll solidify some of the Sigmar lore like it desperately needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

I read the Flesh -Eater Courts and am currently reading the Ironjawz Battletomes, and, I have to say they are not bad. I'm still lost as far as the actual setting goes, and think it very poorly defined, but GW is doing a good job with the fluff of the inhabitants. I'm cool with the Ghouls thinking they are some sort of royalty (I don't see them as strictly Bretonnians, like some people do, but whatever,) and I'm finding the Orruk (ugh) stuff funny and very Orc/Ork like:

:orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks:

The Khradron and Sylvaneth books are great for the same reason. Say what you will for the wider setting but the individual factions are full of character, cutting ties from the admittably more tradtional fantasy trappings has let the studio go crazy with concepts that probably would have clashed with WHFB.

• Locked thread