Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard to compare them because all the factions are mashed up and the lines between armies are super fuzzy.

The newer armies tend to get more love because GW likes money so they generally get more options for mortal wounds/formations of deepstrike and movement tricks.

Ogres are big and hit hard and are multiwound. This makes them harder to knock down for battleshock, but if they do fail battleshock tests they really feel it (since battleshock is purely based on model count).
Lizardmen have good bravery but are pretty average all around, with the saurus warriors themselves being fairly weak unless you mass them up. But why do that when you have other options available that can dish it out?

EDIT: Old fantasy was about working with your blocks of infantry and trying to foil your enemies plans. AoS is more about... dumping as many buff on models since they took out half the stats (S, T, I, Ws) that made armies different.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

Adepticon has a pretty concrete idea of the demand for different games, and we do not. GW money will likely tip the scales of triage at the edges but I doubt they're effectively cancelling 9th Age so GW can have empty tables with Sigmar banners dangling from them.

I'm protesting by not playing any of their games. In fact, I'm playing Aetherium! Everyone should join me on Saturday.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that is what happens with combats.

And it is literally the worse mechanic in any wargame I've played.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Texmo posted:

It's incorrect to imply that, since rolling D6x2 could be represented by a D12 or whatever, a D6 based system is a Flawed Design.
Whether you prefer rolling lots of D6 or a single D213 is Your Opinion, not An Objective Flaw.

Dude, 2D6 is SUCH not the same thing as a D12. Dude. Just dude.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I quite like Wrath of Kings. It's kind of a Warmahordes/Guild Ball-lite style game. It's D10 based, and pretty quick and fun. The art direction leaves a bit to be desired with some of the female models, though I play Hadross (fish people) and avoid most of that mess.

It's a pretty darn great game. Though I mostly play Goritsi for the same issues you have.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That base is awesome. Anvil Industries has some jack o lanterns.

I think Secret Weapon does as well.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, did the mold for the Daughter of Dark Aelvis blood bowl thingie break? They've been out of stock for a long time now and none of the stores I'm around has it in.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

It was reboxed into a DE allies package, which i think depleted supplies of the a la cart Cauldron.

That hasn't been on sale for a very while now. Why can't they just make more? It's been a couple months. Shouldn't be hard.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

witch elves/sisters of slaughter are a more recent dual kit that also happened to be an elite unit for dark elves pre-aos tho? and youre getting double the models compared to the medusas and harpies. a better comparison would be the warlocks, a 5 cav box for 35, compared to 5 snake women for 50

you can try to pretend that their kit prices arent going up, but youre only fooling yourself

"Elite" infantry that was able to be taken as basic troops, that were still fragile so you practically needed to take them in units of 15-20, and I believe they could be taken as troops with the right HQ?
Granted they were obscene when they came out, and still kinda obscene now.

Though who could forget the blood knight vampires that are 5 for 100.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe someone else made the "Guillermo del Toro" reference, but I second it. Look good!

EDIT: Though I dunno about stabbing books. I've just been reading them. Maybe I'm wrong.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

New Mortarch model unveiled.

I can't decide if it's a masterpiece of model design that will be deceptively stable, or if it's going to be an absolute nightmare to store/carry.

A female ghost whose life was filled with scheming and false victimization to get what she wants. Is that you Sarkeesian?

I couldn't not take that shot

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

I'm so glad that poo poo does not fly here.

gently caress, that's a sweet ghost bride. It's probably the first big AoS model I've been excited about, and I love that this and the new ghosts aren't just repurposed WHFB sculpts - this clearly has its own identity.

I'm still a bit :rolleyes: on the fluff, and can't help but think this stuff should be part of a goddamn fantastic Von Carstein army.

Weren't the other Mortarch's on giant skeleton monsters? I'm guessing Mortarch is just a title for their elite generals. Haven't looked at the undead fluff in a while (at least not since the end times).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actully other then Arkhan is is considered First amoung them, the Mortarchs are all supposed to be equal in rank. (Vlad was a member as well lets not forget and was not a puppet or enthralled.)

There are also supposed to be Nine Mortarchs.

I'll have to check if Vlad's wife is still duel faction with Nurgle. That was an... interest part of the end times, even if it did come out of nowhere (like much of endtimes).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^ It might be worth waiting a bit before picking everything up. I'm sure they will get a book once 2nd ed hits.

JBP posted:

Direct your next shot into your own brain.

10-4 good buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bombogenesis posted:

Sigmar fun, maybe good in future?

Double turns still a thing.

• Locked thread