Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Possibly relevant: http://newsthump.com/2016/03/01/isis-declares-fatwa-against-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If it's for a general forest being used as terrain it's fine to use whatever.

If it's for a bonus super special forest you get as pert of your formation rules, you really should use something which has the same footprint as the official woods otherwise you end up with the Folding Fortress problem from 8th ed (where assholes deliberately misinterpreted the 'place an extra Watchtower' as 'bring along a loving 20 story skyscraper and fill it with dudes').

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mr.Booger posted:

So, if a unit can take multiple weapon options, can you have half n half? Like 10 clanrats with swords and 10 with spears in the same unit (so the back guys can poke over the front guys) or do they need to be in separate units? Makes sense but the army builder thing I am using is one or the other so wasn;'t sure.

Depends on the exact wording of the unit entry. In the case of clanrats their entry says the unit is armed with those weapons so they all have to be armed the same (rules wise anyway, modelling wise you can use a mix so long as you inform your oppoennt what they have)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I kind of wish they'd rolled with that more when modelling the ghouls though; the basic Abhorrent Ghoul King model looks a little meh, and I think giving them tattered capes, scraps of armour, heraldry of flayed corpses etc would have made em look a whole lot cooler.

That would have involved too much forward planning. The Ghouls were produced a long time before the current fluff of them being Brettonians.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

The easiest roll is of course the 1+ 1+ sequence, which wounds 100% of the time. But the next easiest roll is 1+ 2+ or 2+ 1+, which wounds about 83.3% of the time. And the next easiest after that is 2+ 2+, which wounds about 69.4% of the time.

This is some surprisingly huge gaps. By comparison, Age of Sigmar provides very tightly arranged options for really difficult attacks at the opposite end of the scale.

Don't forget rerolls. 'Reroll 1s' is a fairly common mechanic in AOS. Not saying it makes it any better but it does give a little more control over the propability gaps.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wow those box sets have some random rear end selections of figures.

I kind of get the Empire plus Sigmarines one but the others are just weird. Why are Sigmarines allying with Dark Elf Corsairs and painting their armour black?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sometimes that's dudes, sometimes that's women.

And sometimes it's three skaven standing on each other's shoulders :D

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

News from NOVA, AoS is having a major event next year: Malign Portents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP02MihLGgA

Looks like Naggy's up to something.

Also, the fourth Shadespire faction got revealed, Ironjawz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8v7UOmDEkQ

Plus there's a new spooky ghostman:

Apparently all 4 grand alliances are getting a new hero.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/make-your-own-free-city-the-easy-way-sep26gw-homepage-post-4

I for one bid thee welcome to Hammeroplolis

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That looks like it would break if I touched it too hard.

It'll break if you look at it too hard. I should know, I've just finished painting mine.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Don't forget those floaty balls are full of gaseous gold, that's how they stay afloat. They make no sense from a model and fluff reason!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hey you AOS guys, enjoy your new logo - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

And also the Warqueen (a good figure) and some rattymen for Shadespire.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

moths posted:

Dumb question, but what are "the mortal realms?"

The world that AOS is set in.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW just previewed a new NG Shaman as part of the Malign Portents thing. Looks pretty neat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GW released an Xmas video with some new figures in it - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/25/on-the-first-day-of-christmas-nurgle-gave-to-megw-homepage-post-3/

Blight Tree, Plaguebearer characters, Beasts of Nurgle, Drone Riders, GUO.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 25, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

More pics of the new GUO from Warhammer Community

Last one is a new special character called Rotigus. I guess he's a replacement for Kugath who will be getting removed from the rules at some point.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New Nurgle dude's up

Apparently tomorrow introduces the Pusgoyle Blightlords which I'm assuming are those Blight King like fellas on giant flies.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New floaty bloatmans:

Ghost pirates would be cool, maybe they can recycle the old Sartosan fluff into AOS.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Today's Nurgle preview, a Nurgling in a blight tree:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/31/the-seventh-day-of-nurgle-the-feculent-gnarlmawgw-homepage-post-3/

Apparently Nurgle is the new Wood Elves, who knew?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TKIY posted:

That's the best terrain kit ever. I'm so stoked to be able to get it.

I have to dispute this. It may look great, but it's from the era of GW outsourcing terrain to other casters so there's some problems with bits not quite fitting properly and needing a bunch of filling etc.

The fortified manor was a much better set for ease of building.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That actually sounds interesting, though I doubt in the grand scheme of things that Felix was even a blip on Sigmar's radar when he was recreating things.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Reminds me a lot of the Heldenhammer from Dreadfleet, albeit wrecked up and sunken.

Could be a new unit for undead pirates, some sort of big ghost boat? It's painted up in a single highlighted colour in a manner very reminiscent of GW's style for spirits. If it were simply terrain I'm sure they'd have picked out the details in different colours etc.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It'd also be cool to see a race of 'Good' Undead in Death, something like holy zealots and crusaders whose faith keeps them going even after their bodies have died. Possibly the spirits of Brettonia, come up with something about how the Grail Knights from the old world somehow preserved their spirits but went into hiding / were bound by Nagash, but something has set them free again.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

From Warhammer Community also:

Reminds me of the squid helmet from the Dark Elf Corsairs. Could some of those units be shifting into the new faction?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Murder Elfs and Water Elfs really have no place in order given their descriptions, Destruction would be more appropriate, or possibly a fifth 'nonaligned' faction. Possibly with some special rules allowing them to ally with Order in a limited capacity with certain other subfactions like Dark Elves.

Destruction really needs some love, the only new things they've had are the Orruks and the Fungi Shaman. Death is at least getting some stuff in Portents but so far every 'new' subfaction has been in Order who are basically the Imperium of AOS.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If they weren't already tied up with Chaos I'd say Skaven or Beastmen would be a good fit for Destruction.

Possibly they could add some sort of Barbarian faction that isn't tied up with Chaos too (like how old Norsca used to be a separate army from Chaos Marauders).

They could add something really out there along the lines of the Enslavers from 40k, e.g. a bunch of magical floating brain things that mind control a bunch of monsters and use them to try and destroy the world.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, GW tend not to raise prices on existing kits, they just make newer kits absurdly more expensive than previous ones, particularly characters and monsters.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TKIY posted:

Oddly these guys are $10 cheaper than the Witch Elves box for your generic 10-man battleline unit.

Yeah but Witch Elves were originally released as an elite unit during the dark days of Goldswords. GW was hardly likely to drop their price now they're a mainstay unit for a new army.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They were troops in the army book they were released alongside. They had an alternate elite build, so you were effectively paying a $15 tax for the build option hardly anyone ever took.

That's what I mean, the Sisters of Slaughter (or whatever the alternate build was) were Elite troops, so you got to pay the Elite tax.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

"I want to play in Ulgu!"
"I want to play in Shyish!"

Be interesting to see how GW circumvents that argument.

Roll for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm liking the new living spells as a replacement for the old WHFB Vortexes. I'm tempted to pick them up just to paint as they look neat.

That Purple Sun may make a neat 'Warbeast' in my KOW Undead army or something.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Three special characters for Nighthaunt.

drat GW is really tempting me to pick up these fuckers. This guy looks great!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even all Metal works. All Gold is just strangely enough one of the worst color schemes for them in my opinion.

All gold could work, the problem is that the GW golds are very bright and yellowy which doesn't work so well all over. If they had more contrast it'd work better.

I painted by Stormcasts with gunmetal armour shaded with purple, and black shoulders and shields. Gold was used on the face masks as a contrast. Seemed to work out alright.

(square bases because I use them in KOW as large infantry)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pendent posted:

This is incredibly rad and I think I may actually use a modification of this for my own scheme assuming you aren't bothered by me doing so.

Cheers! Feel free to copy the scheme, just post pics when you're done :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think you meant this thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3660745&perpage=40&pagenumber=304#pti19

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ElNarez posted:

base to base measuring is official

'that thing everyone did anyway, we're making it official'

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

Metal as gently caress

Penumbral Pendulum? (or whatever the new nounverb bloodname they come up with)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm loving the spell effects and the ghosts.

Kinda meh on the new Sigmarines though that may be the lovely yellow paint scheme. The bolt thrower looks neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I really hope that the endless spells get separate releases as having to buy the rules multiple times if you want extra minis (or rely on eBay scalpers) doesn't sound like a fun time.

• Locked thread