Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Not to interrupt the shitposting but is there any overview/meta rundown for the various factions(battleforces?(armies?(wad of cash?)))? I'm interested to see where everything stands in that "can't look away from a train wreck" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So how is the Disciples of Tzeentch Battletome holding up in the wild? It seems cool from a distance and reading it makes Age of Sigmar sound like its going in a direction I like.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are the Bloodbound guys any good? I was thinking about buying one of those cheap "babby's first model" kits to paint up for fun (and to potentially use for an rpg mini) and wanted to know what I was in for if I woke up one day with an army.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So looks like a few things are aligning for AoS. I've started my job and a path of glory campaign is starting up at a local store.

I was looking to start either Beastclaw Raiders or Blades of Khorne since they both look like two of the cheaper factions thanks to either a low model count (Raiders) or a decent amount of discounted bundles (Khorne). I like the idea of blendering my way through close combat so both armies appeal to me, but wanted to ask the thread to weigh in a little bit since i'm unfamiliar with what state the game is in right now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

GW is a corporation beholden to the interests of its investors and assigning a moral attribute to it, whether it be good or bad, only empowers the capitalists.

This but unironically

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Shadin posted:

What's an example of a good company then? I only started getting into GW stuff last summer (outside of SH/WHQ) and so far I'd rate them at the top of the industry.

Atlas Hugged posted:

GW is a corporation beholden to the interests of its investors and assigning a moral attribute to it, whether it be good or bad, only empowers the capitalists.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Any word on that Nurgle book for AoS like Tzeentch and Khorne had? I thought they would have combined it with the Death Guard release but that kind of came and went with only the blightwar box coming around the same time for the AoS side.

I want my plastic Great Unclean One

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So do people think pestilens will eventually be folded into the combined nurgle battletome? The Tzeentch book was made up of daemons, beastmen (tzaangors), and mortals (kairic acolytes). Nurgle would have the same split with Daemons, beastmen (skaven), and mortals (rotbringers).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Osric posted:

Like the paint on the models? How could they possibly tell?

I think they mean for the people who paint in the store.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes, it would be rude to do something like that at your LGS. However, GW is not a small business.

Exactly, GW is mcdonald's in this situation

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thundercloud posted:

Ghost pirates would get me to buy AoS minis if they didn't suck.

I think I've got a Nurgle Demon army for AoS on the basis of having Nurgle Demons to support my Deathguard.

I will join you soon on the basis of building death guard and thinking the new nurgle daemons own bones

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It'd probably be fine if all the God specific stuff for chaos was in their factions (blades of Khorne, disciples of tzeentch, maggotkin of nurgle, and hosts of slaanesh) and then everything else was consolidated into larger armies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If AoS just becomes a Norse Mythology and Conan mashup by way of Power Metal cover art i'm super ok with that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Age of Sigmar really is best thought of as 70s heavy metal album cover fantasy. Much begins to make sense when thought of like that.

True

I will say though that I do hope that a decent writer sits down turns AoS into something more than just a vehicle for Sigmarines and legacy WHFB stuff. It has potential but currently lacks a sense of scale, stakes or corners of the universe that exist outside of the "Sigmar vs Chaos" dichotomy.

Luckily they've been expanding the setting with Kharadron Overlords and the subtle implications that Nagash is turning into the Norse goddess Hel creating another point of conflict besides "gold dude vs spiky dude"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I find it interesting that I could buy and paint up some daemons for 40k and still be completing the AoS goals

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just ordered a Start Collecting Khorne set so yeah I could do that too.

It works particularly well for the new Nurgle Daemons I want to add to my Death Guard (that are admittedly still a WIP) since a Great Unclean One and Blight-tree for Horticulus Slimux take care of the "centrepiece and scenery" requirement for the last bit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want there to be a real spooky ghost army for Death mostly because the knight of shrouds looks boss and needs a spooky ghost army to go with him.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought there was one.

sorry I should have bolded and capitalized "REAL"

edit: Amusingly enough the Mortis engine that is made of spooky ghosts and comes in the spooky ghost start collecting box is not actually part of the spooky ghost faction

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 6, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

News from Warammer World,

Next battle tome(after Maggotkin) will be Legions of Nagash. Nagash and each Mortarch will get faction rules, artifacts and allegiance abilities.

Apparently my Fire like to autocorrect Nagash to Hahaha

I'm wondering if this will be consolidating several of the death factions into these legions, being the personal soldiers of a Mortarch or Nagash is a stronger reason to be in a faction than having them in the Ghost faction because they're a Ghost or in the Skeleton faction because they're a Skeleton.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

To be honest, dividing legion/faction abilities by Mortarch is probably a better way of doing it than by ghouls/ghosts/skeletons/vampire. It's a story/theme divide rather than a "this army is skelebobs, this army is vampires" divide, which has the potential to be more interesting. (Though if so I hope they release the Carrion King as a Mortarch/faction cause it would be a shame to lose all the awesome Flesh Eater Courts work.)

I think flesh-eater courts is safe, they're much better fleshed(heh) out than any other Death faction. I see no reason GW would feel the need to do anything with them.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Why is a Stormcast merking random farmers?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

I quote again:

Scorched earth policy. The Stormcasts aren't really "good" good-guys, especially once they've ridden the lightning a few times too many.

Oh I know that they aren't pure white good guys, this is Warhammer we're talking about, I just thought it seemed like a waste of time for a warrior-hero chosen by a living god to fight monsters, daemons, and worse to go around blowing up random farmers.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can’t wait for the introduction of chaos storm cast

AoS hasn't really explored the "corruption" aspect of Chaos nearly as much as 40k or even WHFB did, I don't know if thats an intentional decision or a function of the setting being so you but its always felt weird in its absence. So yeah I wouldn't mind the idea of a few Chaos Stormcast here and there. It should probably be used sparingly though, a few here and there rather than full on CSM style legions.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know if it will happen, if only because AoS doesn't need to do it like 40k had to in order to justify the Epic game. There is no need for chaos stormcasts because chaos warriors are already a well defined thing.

Also, there seems to be less of a risk of corruption, and more a risk of them getting fried and losing any connection to humanity that they may have had in the beginning. At that point, they become machines with no regard for human life.

Finally, do we really need more stormcasts?

I was more thinking of them as one off models similar to the Malign portents heralds, like one guy who is the "Arch-traitor fallen Stormcast" and then no one else

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Keldrek was never a Stormcast. He was a Warrior Priest of Sigmar that died and rejected becoming a Stormcast and went to Nagash's realm instead becoming one of his champions.

I wasn't talking about an existing guy, more the idea of a (living) traitorous Stormcast who fell under the influence of Chaos. I compared it to the malign portents heralds because it would be similar to them in that its a model that is more of a generic Grand Alliance Chaos model rather than one attached to a specific battletome faction.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twhmKjfp6Mk

I'm guessing the voice is probably Neferatta, but I hope its Slaanesh

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So given modern GW's propensity for big dumb hero models how long do we think it will be before we see a Sigmar model?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

Strongly doubt we'll see the Chaos Gods outside of avatars/their Greater Daemons. They're on a completely different level to the other gods, if they form a physical presence that's it, game over. Slaanesh only got taken out 'coz they were too busy chowing down on Elf souls and Tzeentch threw a spanner in the works, and even then they're just missing.

Agreed, plus I think quantifying the Chaos Gods with actual rules would be a net negative for Warhammer as a whole. They're more effective as ephemeral beings who act through proxies and the vagaries of fate, more similar to forces of nature than actual individuals. Turning them into models that get murked by lascannons or stormcast hammers diminishes them a lot.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TKIY posted:

One of my buddies realized he didn't feel like base painting 30 skinks.

The solution? White primer, a bottle of Shade and a Ziploc bag:

Stealing this but with Poxwalkers and Plaguebearers

Edit: Also why isn't there a poxwalker type chaff unit for Maggotkin? Seems like a weird thing to exclude.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://malignportents.com/story/story-three/

The adventures of Horticulous Slimux continue, looks like the Maggotkin are going to play a big time role in the story.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably because Nurgle has been the one attacking Shyish lately plus they got lots of releases. I have a feeling the Nurgle focus will die down a bit later.

I'm quite happy about their involvement, one of the things i've always like about warhammer is the stories about one set of bad guys fighting another set of bad guys, mostly because its interesting to see the clashing values and desires instead of the "and then the good guys were good and the bad guys were bad". Nagash vs. Nurgle is way more interesting to me than Nagash vs. Stormcast for example.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

Whatever, it’s a boob monster

Not to be confused with monster boobs

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://malignportents.com/story/grim-deliverance/

Next story is up, looks like Nagash is recruiting.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

Life's weird that way, huh?

I'm looking forward to the RPG coming out so this stuff gets really fleshed out - it might actually become understandable to the point where people are actually interested in the background and start playing AoS.

I thought the RPG was confirmed for being old-fashioned Warhammer Fantasy?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So after reading some of the Malign Portents stories and being impressed I decided to borrow the Realmgate Wars off of a friend and try to read it.

Holy poo poo is it boring :suicide:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm really trying to like it but goddamn. The Stormcast vs Chaos stuff is aggressively boring and since Chaos is my favorite part of Warhammer thats notable. Especially since everything that makes Chaos interesting has been sandblasted away in favor of making them faceless mooks for the supremely boring Stormcasts to cut down. gently caress it i'm just gonna skip ahead to Nagash's poo poo since he's my second favorite part of AoS/Fantasy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Have people been exploring mixing Pestilens and Maggotkin? I'm kind of interested how well they play together.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should be able to. They both have the Nurgle Keyword which is what matters.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I was asking if anyone out there was experimenting with mixing them and had found any interesting combinations or gaps in one that can be filled with the other.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Krell better come back

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread