Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Against my better judgement, and much prior mockery of AoS on my part, I've started playing AoS.

My only get out is that I'm playing with a friend, my 10 year old and his 12 yr old and a few of his school friends. I'd tried Kings of War with them but it didn't engage them ( despite being a much better game). AoS seems to work for young kids who want to mash a load of action figures together, and once I'd put aside my reservations regarding a lot of the rules ( especially the shooting) it was actually quite fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should still use points.

We do. 1000points seems to be a sweet spot for big monsters on table vs time it takes for kids to lose concentration

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is it still just mashing poo poo together? I was hoping that things would have advanced a bit by this stage...

Also, does anyone play with their square based models, or is that frowned upon? If I dip my toe in this (and, like Serotonin, I disliked AoS on launch) I do not want to have to rebase anything, and want to continue to be able to use my dudes in rank and file games as well.

We play scenarios but these are young kids playing so yeah mostly it's mashing poo poo together. Im not asserting that mashing is the sum tactical worth of AoS.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Milotic posted:

Skeletons! Very nice Skeletons!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/13/warhammer-underworlds-shadespire-new-faction-revealed/

The video shows more skeletons. They have quite a classic feel to them. If people don't like them, you have bad taste. Fact.

In before someone says Overdesigned nonsense.

Those are nice skeletons. Ive got a 1000point Flesh Eaters force but I've been tempted to branch out into more Death stuff, especially skellingtons

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I do wonder how AoS would play with alternating activations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that is what happens with combats.

Indeed but that's the part that makes least sense to me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Tbh I think it's over complicating it to work in a initiative system for activation order.

Just a basic, you choose a unit to move, now I choose one to move. Right all moved, now it's shooting phase, you choose a unit to shoot etc. Melee combat could then be done the same way, or just done on who charged gets to roll attacks first.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'd be interested in info on that too. I've built 1000 points so far and played 6 games. My list is the start collecting set., twenty extra ghouls and a Varghulf.
It's been fun. A unit of twenty ghouls rolls a ridiculous amount of attacks and the whole force is reasonably resilient with the Dark Minion and Ruler of the Night abilities. The king on terrorgheist is a total beast and its shriek mulches low Moral troops.

I haven't played into a shooty force and fear it would be vulnerable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

This thread has got loving boring fast. Can't you take it to the death thread. We get it, you don't like GW games, and you don't like it that others like them. Woohoo

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Here's a couple of WIP shots of some models for me and my sons armies .

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think one of the fundamental problems is though that the game is trying to be a mass battle game that is also a skirmish game. I agree that having models move and act individually is better for a skirmish game, but it's not great for a mass battle game where your fundamental unit is a 'fire team' or 'squad' or whatever.

I'm not hugely sure if AoS is trying to do. Vanguard games kinda make sense with the smaller table, but a Warhost game is probably not a skirmish game any more.

40k has long had the same problem.

We've had a lot more fun at Vanguard level than Warhost, but that's as much about reigning in young players attention spans as anything tbf.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Funny you mentioning Sharp Practice, I was intrigued at the introduction in new 40k of command points that can be spent in a variety of ways to influence the game. Seemed quite similar to the command flags in SP.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I often play 1000 point games on a 4x4 board. Works well.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I just got 25 Blood Warriors, Exalted Death Bringer, Aspiring Death Bringer, Skullgrinder, Khorgorath, and Blades of Khorne book on ebay for £60. Happy with that

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Has my first game with them yesterday just the starter set contents versus my sons 1400 points of Seraphon. We used the new Open War cards and it was great fun. Squeezed out a Sudden Death Assassination victory. Seraphon are super tricky now with their teleport ability and sneaky chameleon skinks.
Really likes the Blood Tithe mechanic. Blood Rain saved my bacon in the last turn. Also Blood Reavers with no support die super quickly.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Tree lords are terrifying

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

My guess is it would just be updating the rules to reflect stuff that worked in 40k8e

Yeah this is what I want. Mainly the combat mechanics and charge rules. That would do me. I’d be happy if they bought in stratagems too but I can’t see them doing that .

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

I had just that day bought the Arthur expansion for Saga when I read about second edition. Then I got to the part where it had been written with an eye to 2e and would be compatible, and completely reversed on being irritated.

They do a good job there, that was classy.

Sure but let's not forget the cluster gently caress that was Sagas release, with the over priced dice being out of stock for months.

No game company is immune from cock ups and bad decisions.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

Oh God, yeah I had forgotten all about that.

They seem to be learning at least!

Yeah that caused a massive salt overdose in the historical community. Looking forward to 2nd edition. Trouble is AoS and 40k are taking all my time. That's a sentence that up until this year I would never have believed I would ever have written.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

moths posted:

Ok I keep trying (and failing) to get started with this. I have a bunch of Khorne Daemons on round bases, and a pile of the Bloodborne Bloodbros from the boxed set. Do I need the Blades of Khorne book to use them? Or the reference cards? Or neither? And I have this year's General's Handbook but not the 2016 one. I also downloaded the Chaos Daemons PDF. There's a lot going on and it's confusing.

The Blades of Khorne book would be perfect for you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Zuul the Cat posted:

I ended up getting a pretty good haul of Khorne Blood Bound. I've never played them, and I'm not sure what's good, but they look awesome as hell and I've always wanted a Khorne army.

Here's what I got:

Bloodthirster (with giant 2 handed axe)
3 Bloodsecrators
1 Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 Slaughter Priest
6 Khorgorath
1 Skarr Bloodwrath
1 Aspiring Deathbringer (Goreaxe & Skullhammer)
3 Mighty Skullcrushers
5 Wrathmongers (that aren't built. I could build them as the other option - skull takers?)
10 Blood Warriors
20 Blood Reavers

And of course, I have Garrek Gorebeards Warband from Underworlds.

What Can I do with this list? Any tips for tactics?

Wip

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've recently started playing Bloodbound and they are a lot of fun. However I came up against a Tzeenetch army last week dull of ranged attacks and ofc lots of mortal wound dealing spells. It was a catastrophe and I felt I had literally no answers. By the time I closed he tar pitted me with pink/blue/brimstone horrors, while shooting and spelling me to death. It was my first totally unfun AoS game. Most upsetting was losing Skaarac turn one without him even moving.

Not sure how to counter other than add a hit more speed to the force maybe with Skullcrushers. I was also debating running the Gore Pilgrims battalion for the increased totem ranges and rerolls for the priests but it seems expensive at 180 points.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Trying hard not to buy into my third faction right now.

OK not trying that hard. My 8 yr old daughter had her first game this weekend using her big brothers Seraphon. She was rather taken by the Sylvaneth as they had 'lots of girls'. Doubly so when she saw some painted in a cherry blossom style.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just bought a job lot of Sylvaneth. My excuse is they are for my daughter. She wanted an army with 'girls' in it. She's 8, it's excusable.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah agreed. Can't see why it wouldn't apply other than it being terminally unfun to play against!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Interestingly that faq mentions special rules that allow unitd to move as if it were the movement phase don't allow those units to use special abilities that happen in the movement phase.

Sorry SRM I reckon your shooting abilities wouldn't trigger based on that logic

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

WIP on some test models for my daughter's Sylvaneth army. She's 8, and wanted a army with 'girls' in it. I think she should be able to handle washing and dry brushing duties on the bark, and I do the detailing. Exciting project and exciting to see her so enthused.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

You are dooming yourself for birthdays and Christmases for years to come. Love it.

That's fine by me!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah my 11 year old son was interested for a bit and plays occasionally but the draw of console games and YouTube streamers seems much greater sadly.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ive come over to AoS from Warmachine. To be perfectly honest I just find it much more relaxing and dare I say fun.it doesn’t make my brain hurt in the same way

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Played Seraphon against a friends Slaanesh demon force.

Jesus, Seraphon almost feel unfair against chaos demons; so many buffs. A unit of Chameleon Skinks pretty much one rounded an Exalted Greater Demon.

Fun game though, pretty close.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Just lost narrowly to a Death army playing for the first time with 'my daughters' new Sylvaneth army. So fun to use but I'm going to bankrupt myself buying citadel woods

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

So a bit like stratagems in 40k?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I'd rather pay double than put some of those Malifaux plastics together. The few I did were nuts. Pieces a couple of mm's in size.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Yeah for sure they are lovely sculpts, it was more a comment on the construction

The McMourning crew chihuahua tail. Or Yan Los beard. Never again

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 4, 2018

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Some wip on my daughter and I's joint sylvaneth project

https://twitter.com/amrypooins/status/960134268340068352?s=09

She's just washed another ten dryads then I'm going to teach her dry brushing

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Cheers for the compliments.

They are finished bar the basing.

https://twitter.com/amrypooins/status/960262579233968129

Pleased with them and super fast to paint

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've always used KR for my Warmachine minis but there's so many large and weird sized models with AoS that I've started magnetising Really Useful storage boxes. Working great so far

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Some more Sylvaneth WIP

https://twitter.com/amrypooins/status/963477580610490369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Played a couple of games with the new Portents today. We randomly rolled for decks because we didn't have time to look at them all to decide which would work best for our factions, but they were still a lot of fun and added a real interesting dynamic. Knowing my opponent had a Portent that could force me to only roll one d6 for a charge made me have to really consider positioning and movement super carefully

• Locked thread