Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am thinking about buying Sylvaneth mostly for hobby aspect. I would like to end up with a viable army.

Working slowly towards:
2 x Starters
5 x Kurnoth boxes
2 x Tree Revenants boxes

This mirrors a list I found, and contains the models i liked.

Does this look reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mango sentinel posted:

You need Trees

Syvaneth Wyldwoods?

Thanks. Now i recall they can teleport and slide around in those forests.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have some goon-made Worldsmith Industries forest bases i was planning on using. Is there a certain size they must be?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I ordered 2 Sylvaneth Starters, 4 Kurnoth Hunter boxes, and 1 Tree Revenant box. I will order forests when my wallet heals.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Should I feel bad for buying a 130 dollar dung beetle?

... cuz I sure as hell don't. :fap:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Still a long way to go, but it is starting to look like a beetle!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I already broke off the right rear soul-scrotum. Horrible placement for such a fiddly bit.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Made more progress!

I base coated the moss and the trees.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I did see that Litko makes MDF tree templates that are the same size as Citadel Woods. They cost 9.99.

http://www.litko.net/products/Forest-Tray-Base-%281%29.html

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 5, 2017

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The bits dealers on eBay forced me to start buying Khorne Bloodbound.

I got half the AoS starter, Slaughterpriest, second Bloodsecrator, second Bloodstoker, 5 more Blood Warriors.

$100 for all this! it is like it's affordable to play Age of Sigmar!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I need to buy bases, like $70 dollars worth at GW prices. Anyone have a good source for them? (Plastic or MDF as long as they look pretty close.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Ebay is working well so far. I just got 29 dollars worth of gw bases for 20 bucks.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

so like 10 25mm rounds?

I got 35 32mm rounds, 13 40mm rounds, and 2 60mm. I bought the choas half of a Sigmar starter, and it didnt come with bases.

I just got violated buying the base for the Khorgorath.

10 of the 40mm are so I can make 2 boxes of Wrathmongers + 10 Blood Warrior legs, into 10 Wrathmongers and 10 Skullreapers. The 30 32mm are for some Marauders I bought 20 years ago.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Alternating activations is a cool and good idea. It generally makes games more interactive and engaging.

They should have implemented it in AoS. However, since GW has the best models currently, with a decent rules set ... here I am.

Game question: are Khorgoraths worth fielding now that their claws do 2 damage? I like the model, so I bought two. I see myself ending up with Skulltake and 6 of them if I am not careful. (Skulltake gives their claws 8 attacks while within 6" of their Skullreaper buddies.)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Age of 40k is all i have heard.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Brettonia isnt gone... they just now eat Flesh.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
We could also get rid of all dice, and just have them inflict wounds.

I think one reason play GW games is buckets of dice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I would love to see someone saw a Brettonian army in half lengthwise, and do the same with an army of flesh eaters.

Then glue them together with mirrors in between, the length of the base.

So from one side of the table yoj have Brettonians, and the other you have ghouls.

It is an impossible dream.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think I am going to do a headswap on my second Mighty Lord of Khorne. Thanks for the inspiration. I am going to have to search my bits box for some 20 year old Chaos heads though.

That one looks great.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The sum of 2d6 starts to create a bell curve, but that doesn't mean it is somehow better than rolling N D6 and evaluating them individually.

N d6 is a binomial distribution with parameters N for the number of dice, and P for the probability of success. The binomial is approximately normal when N x P >10 and N x P x (1 - P) > 10.

Neither of these things is replicated by choosing a larger dice. 2D6 doesn't look like 2 D6 doesn't look like a d12.

None of these approaches is better than the others.

Warmachine is based off the 2D6, and it's great to pull out a clutch 11 to hit to win a game. However, this approach takes a lot more time than rolling a units worth of attacks at once. For a while there was a strategy of just bringing so many guys that your opponent would burn his clock time having to roll attacks. GWs approach doesn't have this issue.

Buckets of dice to hit; a smaller bucket of dice to wound; a still smaller bucket of dice for armor saves is quintessential GW.

I wish they had made alternating activations, but they didnt. I can tell that some people wish they had changed the dice system.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Serotonin posted:

Here's a couple of WIP shots of some models for me and my sons armies .

gently caress yeah! Dinosaurs!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
It is a trademarked spelling of Orc. Just like they changed Imperial Guard to whatever the gently caress they are now.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Huh. I stand corrected. I figured it was all a big play to control brand identity.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Well that looks amazing. Never stop painting ... or posting.

Well, actually dont post too many amazing dinosaurs like that, because I don't need a third army for a game I have yet to play.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That Chariot with Gorebeast seems like a strong choice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
They figured out that free wargear added up a lot over 2000 points.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just got 5 Wyldwood bases for 50 bucks. Winning.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have 4000 points of Bloodbound in a Box of Shame in my office. I am hoping to get to them this year.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
code:

FINISHED:

ON SPRUE:
2 x Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 x Exalted Deathbringer
1 x Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear
1 x Aspiring Deathbringer
2 x Bloodsecrator
2 x Bloodstoker
1 x Skullgrinder
3 x Slaughterpriest

25x Blood Warriors
60x Bloodreavers
20x Warmongers
20x Skullreapers (using Blood warrior legs from ebay)
6 x Khorgoraths

I will get to them this year, right?

If you want heroes get the Gorechosen game.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can't go wrong with a Bloodthirster or Skarbrand.

Being able to summon Demons is pretty rad for not having them get shot to pieces.

(Can you summon Skarbrand?)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Blood for the Blood God!

Check out Slaved to Darkness with Khorne Bloodbound. Get that sweet buffed Gorebeast Chariot with a Bloodstoker and a Bloodsecrator.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have a lot of Khorne Bloodbound to assemble, and there is a 1000pt event coming up.

What would a good 1000 point starter army look like?
I came up with:
Bloodsecrator
Skullgrinder
Wrathmongers x 5 x 2
Blood Warriors x 5 x 3
Bloodforged Battallion or Bloodreavers x 20

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Serotonin posted:

Tree lords are terrifying

Any suggestions for armies? I have 4 Treelords to assemble.

2 Treelord Ancients
1 Spirit of Durthu
1 Treelord

Does that seem right?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Milotic posted:

It lets those of us who are more narrative driven have reasons why our army keeps on clashing with our friends’ armies.

"Sorry, bro. We can't play a game tonight. I only brought my Sigmarines. Everyone knows Sigmarines and Sylvaneth are friends."

Is this seriously how people play the game? I always viewed it that I have to have some reason to like my army and how my army plays. However, i dont care about what my opponent plays.

That being said half the fun is goofing around about the interactions of your forces. Sound effects, terrible screams of death and so on.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
110 minus 15%.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Are Sylvaneth in a lovely place currently? I have been trying to find battle reports from them post-Kurnoth-Hunter nerf, and not having much luck.

I keep reading that Tzeentch/Kharadron are basically unbeatable (for Sylvaneth).

Most of the lists I see from the last 6 months are this crazy Spite Revevant list, or tons of Dryads and a Luminark of Hysh.

Disclaimer: I never get to actually play games, but the thought of a good army helps me stay motivated while painting.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have Alarielle, 4 treelords, 4 Branchwyches, 64 Dryads, 5 Tree Revenants, 12 Kurnoth Hunters, and 5 Citadel Woods. The only things assembled are Alarielle, 2 Branchwyches, and 40 Dryads.

Are there any powerful builds for Sylvaneth currently? It seems the dramatic point cost increases for batallions and Kurnoth Hunters really hurt them.

I am going to have about a month to work on this stuff. Any suggestions of what to build out or thing I need? I was thinking 2 Ancients, Durthu, and a Treelord for my big boys.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 15, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Fi'shmen(tm)(r)(patent pending)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I took a Khorne census of my miniature closet. Here is what I have.:

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140) x 3
Bloodsecrator (120) x 3
Bloodstoker (80) x 2
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
Exalted Deathbringer with Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger (80)
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Skullgrinder (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100) x 2

Units
30 x Blood Warriors (520)
80 x Bloodreavers (480)
7 x Khorgoraths (560)
20 x Wrathmongers (720)
20 x Skullreapers (720)

Nearly 4700 points of Khorne to assemble and paint.

I need help. I found myself thinking about starting Fyreslayers this afternoon, because they are strong.

Given that I already have more miniatures than anyone needs, I want to build Khorne as soon as I get my Sylvaneth done.

What would be the strongest 2000pt list I could make with what I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am more looking for "build this poo poo first" kind of help. I bought so much stuff that it is kind of daunting!

A little friendly guidance would help get me started on this sizeable project.

Edit: I was reading Sylvaneth lists and came across a good strat. He included two Knight Heraldors. Set up forests, and blow them horns!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 17, 2018

• Locked thread