Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a photo of the undead-themed battlemat anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's an awesome mat, but I can't see spending $80 usd on it.

It's definitely overpriced, but I preordered one anyway since there's probably never going to be a better Frostgrave mat, and when it sells out I don't want to pay double that for one on eBay.

...and I preordered the Skirmish rules, which was a big surprise to me. The rules team seems to be knocking it out of the park with 8th ed 40k, enough that I was willing to give AoS a second look. Huh. Not a place I expected to find myself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only thing I'd recommend for the next one is to not line up the tiles exactly, instead lay them like bricks.

Looks surprisingly effective though!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I ordered the Skirmish book but what else do I need to use it? I'm guessingthe General's HB and core rules?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok cool, that's good to know. Thanks!

Now I just need for them to mail my book. And mat. And a different order I made that weekend that's still pending, wtf.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Cubical Seven AoS book might flesh it out into something interesting, but man that's going to take a miracle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They could really do some cool stuff with AoS as the Old World's afterlife or its shadow in the Warp - somehow letting both settings coexist in some way would be to everyone's benefit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If there isn't, you just got two boxes of Snakebite Boyz.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's impossible to officially confirm, but all signs point to exactly yes.

The nice thing is that also makes them the easiest to proxy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I still think an End Times Bretonnian revolution list would have been amazing.

The Perry brothers are still making some incredible figures, btw. They're definitely a reasonable alternative to paying eBay prices for Brets, and I suspect that their love of historical figures kept the faction around while they were at GW.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So I was totally turned off of Path of Glory because I didn't want to roll a D6 and add twenty models I don't own to my warband.

Then I looked at it closer in the shop yesterday, and you have the option of just choosing? This is weird.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah it's just kind of weird that you can either pick or roll. And then there's some confusing stuff about picking one that's greater than one, but I was in a hurry and didn't really have time to understand.

That said, I'll probably pick it up next time I'm there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I would seriously love an Old World expansion. I'm building my first AoS round-based force, and I just can't get into this fluff at all. It's almost too familiar, but then wrong.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nearly all the AoS weirdness could co-exist in the Warp Realms of Chaos alongside the Old World. A lot of the Daemon stuff people made fun of was straight out of the last Daemon Army Book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did you wash the bases first? That sounds like you might have had release agent on them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Stormcasts would easily fit into the Old World as "Daemons" of Order. Although it does add some optimism into the setting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nothing I've read about Sigmar would suggests he shares our modern sensibilities about boob-plate. It's kind of a weird line between "a company is designing this" and "this is the aesthetic of an ancient god's culture." They're idealized human forms, as idealized by Sigmar.

That said, sports-bra plate seems to be a baby step in the right direction.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm ok with adding sexism to the long list of the Emperor of Mankind's wrongdoings.

It is the same point, though. But I'll maintain that a progressive, inclusive "Emperor of Humanity" would be a good guy. But he'd be one cut from a different cloth than the archaic, morally problematic stand-in for patriarchy and tradition who's sat on the Golden Throne for 30 years.

Bobby G and Cawl should absolutely handcraft some women marines. It seems like a good workaround.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I feel like the big "NO GIRLS ALLOWED - The Emperor" sign does more to prompt good real world discussion than simply retconning it would.

Adding lady marines would be dismissed as an artificial change to the fluff. Shitlords would attribute to more "pc gone mad" or "SJW" whatever.

When 40k was conceptualized, women in the military was still a hot, controversial subject. I don't feel like paving over that contributes more than it eases.

I would like to see that changed, but think it would be best to do it organically within the setting. Chapters already recruit werewolves and vampires FFS. A cannon chapter that figured out a workaround and recruits women warriors to be marines would be the best way IMO.

Wow this got off topic fast. Sorry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think they're supposed to evoke statues from antiquity. Which is a neat idea, but it's pretty weird for the setting when humanity never had a classical period.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

These new compendiums are missing a lot of units. In some cases, most of them.

E: the Skaven one is now two units. Chief with standard and Skavenslaves. This has to be a mistake.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 26, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Many of the old Warscrolls are still individually downloadable from the store - But that sort of defeats the purpose of an omnibus.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think they're compatible with the current plastic ones' arms and claws. At least I'm hoping they are...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a handful of Chaos Warrior stuff I'm hunting for, looking forward to the thread!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, it is kind of silly, but they don't really explain it well either. Essentially, the leaders (Ghoul King, etc) have some sort of passive ability to enchant other ghouls, causing them to believe they aren't really monsters. Why does it happen? We don't know - they kind of need to flesh (heh heh) this out a bit.

This looks like a straight-up version of Lovecraft's "The Outsider," which is definitely a cool take on ghouls but doesn't really jive with much else in the old continuity.

It's cool, but the range would make more sense dressed in tattered finery and formal wear than in cannibal leftovers and loincloths.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm guessing that's it's because a sphere is traditional way to hold natural gas.

It's defeated by the depiction of the gas being used to lift the dwarves, though. Gas floats because it's less dense than surrounding air, but it's stored under pressurized conditions, which is why you don't see helium tanks floating around.

It's really janky imagery.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

We don't know that the gas is under pressure in those mysterious spheres. :shrug:

It's more that the imagery used to evoke "lighter than air" flight is severely flawed.

It's like if a fantasy fortress were designed with all the aesthetics and trappings of an aquarium because "it's where creatures live for their own safety."

It makes sense from a certain perspective, but standing anywhere else it's just dumb.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

GW is well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

gripping beast is my platonic ideal of wargame company that i like to give money to

I had just that day bought the Arthur expansion for Saga when I read about second edition. Then I got to the part where it had been written with an eye to 2e and would be compatible, and completely reversed on being irritated.

They do a good job there, that was classy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh God, yeah I had forgotten all about that.

They seem to be learning at least!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok I keep trying (and failing) to get started with this. I have a bunch of Khorne Daemons on round bases, and a pile of the Bloodborne Bloodbros from the boxed set. Do I need the Blades of Khorne book to use them? Or the reference cards? Or neither? And I have this year's General's Handbook but not the 2016 one. I also downloaded the Chaos Daemons PDF. There's a lot going on and it's confusing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm mostly interested since there have (apparently) been substantial improvements since that 4 page book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok, cool thanks guys. I'll look for the Khorne book!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just got the Bloodbound book, it really reminds me of the 7e 40k Daemonkin in a lot of good ways.

Weren't there a bunch of fixes to the core game, like ditching the every turn go-first roll and stuff? I have the 2017 general companion but not the other one.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The description says they're 2" tall.

Which sucks because they look for the world like recasts, even down to that one awful flail.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dumb question, but what are "the mortal realms?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, ok. I had the impression AOS took place in the Warp / Realms of Magic, with Mortal Realms being ... something outside of that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

GUO looks really good!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If it's going to happen, it'll be soon - this malign portents thing is the best opportunity.

And the Skullvane Manse wants to be the centerpiece of every Mordheim table, It so completely needs to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Or another $60 boxed campaign.

• Locked thread