Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Getting a Wild Wild West vibe off that floaty top hat dwarf, which I kinda dig. Its absolutely ridiculous, in a charming way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
where would one find allegiance bonuses? I have heard people refer to them, but didnt see any for skaven, is there such a thing?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ah, okay. I have the GH, but didn't see much about it other than it was a thing. I will wait til there is a better skaven book, as pestilence was my Jam back in the day, but I am more partial to hordes of dudes and skyre atm.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So, if a unit can take multiple weapon options, can you have half n half? Like 10 clanrats with swords and 10 with spears in the same unit (so the back guys can poke over the front guys) or do they need to be in separate units? Makes sense but the army builder thing I am using is one or the other so wasn;'t sure.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Hmm, knew they were going to be shooty as basically every model has a gun, but is it weird if I think they might be too shooty? Not seeing alot of melee anything really. Maybe more will come out when the flying ball guys drop, but I think they use alot of the same weapons, so hard to see them being too much different. The self repairing ships and repairing dudes is a nice touch, but worried the games vs armies like choas might not be that engaging, as you just float around and shoot them....

I am torn, I want the ships, but not sure it would be a style of play I would enjoy.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
anyone know of a source of slotted 60x35 mm oval bases (2 slots, like old cav bases) I am looking to re-base some painted skaven weapon teams, and cutting off the metal tabs on painted models, and the fact that they are two models not one big one, is making my head hurt.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
sarissa perceision and war-bases.co.uk have cut custom stuff for me before, but they don't have that slight bevel like a gw base, was hoping to match. Maybe I am being too anal, they will all end up painted and flocked anyway.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Both of those systems have some "your unit may not activate" mechanics, even with options (SP2's kind of "basic activation" for a unit) it is not for everyone, younger folk (I can say that, I am old) find these types of not playing mechanics to be detrimental. I agree they make for good tension, and harder/more impactful choices, but that is again, not as popular as every 100$ toy you bought getting to walk and pew pew.

Different strokes for different folks. I mean, you can play SP2 with fantasy armies, its not hard to make your own unit profiles, so let GW do something else so there are more options out there. GW is the gateway to better rules, but you gotta have a starting point before you jump into painting 2500 10mm prussians the proper shade of blue, and I am okay with it.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
how about, everything you have alive activates. You know what I mean, nothing "technically" sits there doing nothing for the turn, even though in practice it may be the same, it doesn't "feel" the same to alot of people.

I There are a ton of great games out there, and alot of the people here discussing it have tried or play them. But GW thinks it is making a game for people who do not have alot of experience in tabletop gaming. I don't think it is so much about keeping it simple, but keeping it stable. The less they "shake it up" the more turnover they can get from the older gen to the new without splitting the it up. I only know 1 person under 20 who plays GW games in my area, people I play with/see playing at the shop, and he does it because his dad got him into it. Keeping some things the same, even if they seem stale to more veteran players allows easier transitions on change. Maybe 2-3 editions down the road they will have alternating activations, as they have alternating combat now it means it could be on their radar or at least are aware of it, its a slow process, an evolution instead of a revolution as it were.

There are people out there who have tons of options as well, and i admit I am pretty spoiled for variety myself, I have a group that will play all kinds of games and have the income to try new things. We play Frostgrave, Batman, Bloodbowl, Dead Man's Hand, Saga, Arena Rex...really anything that one of the group wants to try someone is game to give it a go and learn (helps if you can have an all female team/army/warband, the lady in our group will go all in on it if so). But alot of people are restricted to playing what the local pick up game is, and keeping it from drastically changing benefits those without as adaptable of groups. Mileage may vary, this is from a US midwest point of view, I am sure it is different in the UK, or larger population centers where more like minded people can be found easier.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 19, 2017

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I really do believe it will emerge over time though. GW just got out of their time machine from the early 90's, there will be an adjustment period while they catch up with the world of tomorrow.

Not saying what they are doing rules wise is good/bad or whatever. Just that it makes some semblance of sense from their standpoint, there is a reasoning behind it, it's mot just so they can start arguments on the internet.

I do hear younger people buy GW products, but I work at the largest games store in the state and the age range for GW sales is not remotely "kids", 95% of it is purchased by people over 20 for themselves. Pretty much the same from our friends that run stores in other states around us to that we travel to for events and such. This is anecdotal, but it is informed.

I also work on pokemon night, and ya, young people know poo poo all about chess, checkers, and the more traditional board games, they just were not raised with them. Ya its not all kids, but it is the ones who are in a place that would have any visibility of a GW game. If you have children that never go to a game store, or have someone in their life that is already into wargaming, where are they going to get exposed to such things.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

That's a rat.

Now we are talking, I am currently rebasing 300 skaven.....it is not a fun process. But man it would be nice for a reward at the end of it all :)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Eh, I'll take it, sure I could make it into something

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I have a bunch of the old and new ones, so haven't had to, but if I did I would look for maybe pike and shotte era minis, they would have long/large arquebus style guns that would probably work.

I know some companies make weapon packs, like so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freebooter-ZUB009-Imperial-Arquebus-8-Conversion-Bits-Handgun-Firearm-Weapon-/380893427178

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
true, unless you want to use the old monkey arms....ugh. Maybe the stormvermin kit would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Shat is a good call on the Skitarii guns, they literally have jezzails, and a mechanical arm isn't out of place really (I have conversion with the old pit fighter arms from necromunda in my army and they look right at home.)

• Locked thread