Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm not quite over the faces on the sigmarines either, but I think they look a lot better in person. I haven't played the game yet so I won't comment on how it plays, but I really love the box set. It gives you a ton of really nice looking models for not much money. I've easily had more fun painting these so far than any of the previous 40k boxes I've bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there anything in the rumor mill about undead and specifically skeletons and tomb kings?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Nothing so far. The rumour engine thing on Warham Community the other week was a tombstone, though that could be anything in Warhams.

Lore-wise, Nagash is hiding at home after striking a deal with Archaon to backstab Sigmar (again) while Neferata's doing all the busy work of keeping the Realm of Death from being completely over-run with Chaos Warbands and Flesh Eaters. Stab in the dark, we could see a expanded Vampire faction with Neferata (And Manfred, maybe, if he can keep his betrayal boner in his pants) as head honcho.

ah, I aee. the nagash model kind of sucks imo. it would be great to see a revamp of undead, similar to how ghouls got that

did anyone love pure ghouls anyway? just play undead

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

GreenMarine posted:

I could res the old OP. It did have good content in it. I won't suicide thread this time, promise.

Please do, even if people hate the game/fluff, I still got really into painting last year and your OP helped with that :black101:

To avoid confusion you could put Shadespire in the title too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is the shadespire rulebook out anywhere? I'd like to read the multiplayer rules specifically.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just don't understand why the designers chose spheres for everything instead of a more familiar balloon shape .

The spheres are really confusing both visually and just from a physical perspective. Like what is meant to be happening here?

For what it's worth, I really like how the stormcast minis look in person after changing up the color scheme on my own models

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I love the old codexes. They used to be a lot more comprehensive in terms of talking about painting and collecting too, super fun reads if you can find in paper or scanned.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have a good idea for stormcast head swaps that won't break the bank, preferably masks of some kind? I'm painting a second set of the shadespire guys and would prefer to give them some visual distinction.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but if anyone is interested in buying just the Shadespire skeleton minis and not the cards, PM me because I would like to sell an extra set of models.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

I have a question for those of you who have played already: Is the core Shadespire box, even with expansions, really a two-player game?

If you're just starting out and use the two pre-constructed decks, I would say the answer is yes. However, once you crack open the additional cards and start building, doesn't it kind of break down? There aren't any duplicate cards, right? So once I build a deck using a certain group of faction-neutral cards, the second player no longer has access to them, and in limiting the second player like that, it's really not a two-player game anymore, because they don't have the same access to cards as you.

A dumb analogy would be like playing Monopoly with two decks of properties where you've stacked your deck with the high-value places, leaving your opponent with the crap.

Am I wrong?

There are duplicate cards. Each side has one copy of their faction specific cards and one copy of the generic cards, so they can deck-build independently. It is VERY GOOD that they did this for exactly the reason you described.

It would be amazing if the expansions came with duplicate generic cards but unfortunately that is not the case.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 8, 2017

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

From looking on the site Ironjaws are quite cheap to get started as lots of their things come in large groups that are fairly cheap among everything else. Not to mention the start collecting box which gives you three boar riders which cost 95 dollars on their own, but you get them and like 15 extra orcs for 5 dollars more if you buy the box.

I've got my eye on the Weirdnob Warband too. $15 bucks more than the brutes box and you get ardboyz and a pretty expensive shaman. I have no idea how Ironjaws play or how I'd like them though, so it's the perfect recipe for me to wind up with a bunch of unpainted plastic

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Oh my god that new Knight is extremely my poo poo

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm pretty disappointed that all four of those new malign portents heroes are $35 each. I really wanted to paint a couple of them but it tough to justify that cost.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

JBP posted:

So is the new starter NIghthaunt v Sigmar or something? I haven't seen anything like that.

I thought they said that explicitly but maybe not. I hope so though because I'd like an assortment of the new models without paying for individual kits.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I definitely recommend Scale 75 paints in general. I have finally bit the bullet and switched over fully to them for the most part. There are a few things I use like the GW washes, but overall I am extremely happy. The colored metals are nice in particular.

Are those the Alchemy paints? I'm not sure if they're meant to be mixed or are just colored metallics to stand on their own.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

Am I the only one who sees an angry magic pac-man?

this is what i saw

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If anyone is thinking about buying all the shadespire warbands for $5 without cards, please buy them with cards and sell the cards to me for $10

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

For God's sake, they are only giving a $5 discount if you don't buy the cards? That's nuts.

If they were a little less, like $22 retail, I would buy multiple packs of skeletons

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The new nighthaunt look so cool, but I also don't like painting cloaks. But if they are in the new starter set I'll buy the hell out of that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I've really been enjoying painting stormcast recently. There's very little edge highlighting required to get nice contrast on the armor. I just finished this shadespire warband and I think I'm going to finally get to the rest of the starter set that I've had for like 2 years now.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

All gold could work, the problem is that the GW golds are very bright and yellowy which doesn't work so well all over. If they had more contrast it'd work better.

I painted by Stormcasts with gunmetal armour shaded with purple, and black shoulders and shields. Gold was used on the face masks as a contrast. Seemed to work out alright.

(square bases because I use them in KOW as large infantry)

that's fantastic

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Metal as gently caress

where are people finding these pics? the article doesn't seem to be up on warhammer community yet

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks, I guess I skipped over that one. That axe looks more like nighthaunt to me!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

sigmarines look dumb because of their stupid helmets and pauldrons, not because of their official paint scheme

nah, I think it really is the paint and GW photos. A lot of the sculpts are really well done.

For example: the same model by GW and someone else:

The GW gold with bright silver highlights and photos make everything look blown out and overexposed, and the details look really noisy. The composition of that mini is really good and comes out really well with better blocking on the colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

Just need to work out a good scheme for my ghosts.

I'm trying to think of one too. I don't really enjoy painting cloaks so an easy scheme for them would be a lifesaver.

• Locked thread