Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I played my first game of AoS yesterday. I really enjoyed it.

I had the contents of the Skeleton Horde start collecting box (Mannfred, 10 skeletons, 5 black knights) + necromancer, 20 zombies and a cairn wraith. My opponent was a more experienced local tournament player but he spun up a 1000pt Stormcast list to play against me (2 5-man archer squads, 1 squad of basic hammer stormcasts, lord celestant on dracoth, 2 dracoth-riding Monster hunters and one more Lord-something on foot).

It was the scenario with 4 objectives (2 in the deployment zones and 2 on the midline).I was able to somehow tie up the archers the whole game with the black knights and cairn wraith and the zombies and skeletons occupied everyone else long enough for Mannfred to start killing everything without getting hurt too much at once. I cleared the board on round 5 but he won on objective points.

It was one of the better first game experiences I've had. The rules are easy to grasp and I understood why I lost (failed to account for possibility of him getting two turns in a row, should have sent the zombie tarpit to camp an objective, should have kept the skeletons in Deathless Minions range, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Arkhan, Mannfred is a different big unit.

Unless you somehow got Mannfred instead.

The kit has the parts for all 3 so I built Mannfred (entirely based on Total War Warhammer recognition)

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Those chaos warriors look dope. This thread needs some good guys though. Here's the start of my warband for the local GW's Path to Glory campaign. I'm playing the generic "old elfs/dwarfs/humans" Order faction.

Drakeseer! Maybe the weakest of the dragon-riders but I like that Flames of the Phoenix spell. I finished this model before I decided to go with round bases so I'm going to rebase him on a big oval later.

White Lions

I'm currently working on a unit of Dark Riders and then there's some Empire Free Guild Guards that are going to give me some more feet on the ground.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Don't have the new GHB with me, maybe it's min size 5 in there now, and that's where I read it?

I have misplaced my GHB2017 but the Azyr app and web Warscroll Builder say its min 5 max 30.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Looking at the Firestorm stuff on Warhammer Community (a new newer way to play (tm)). I'm wondering with the city boxsets all being Order and having their extra allegiance abilities in the new rules for belonging to a city, whether there'll be stuff for none Order aligned units too? I know all the boxsets that were leaked last month were all Order, but some new themes for Destruction, Death and Chaos would be pretty cool and a nice modelling project too.

The AoS Facebook has confirmed 10 new allegiances for "the cities and those who would destroy them" so 7 Order Cities and one for each other Grand Alliance.

My growing order army is probably going to be Hammerhal themed now

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

I thought the Allies boxes were exactly the same as the components? e.g. Tris Order Allies works out at 70 quid for:
- 2 boxes of Vanguard Raptors @ 22.50 each and
- 1 Knight Azyros @ 25

The Hammerhal one has the old Empire General in it, I had that model back in the day :)

There's allies boxes in brick and mortar stores that don't seem to be on the website. All about 400 points and a decent discount.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

If you're just playing Skirmish to start you will get point values in the Skirmish book so you would only want the GHB for allegiance/faction stuff, which you can easily play without to start.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I enjoy Skirmish but mostly for the flavor of the small warbands and the ease/quickness of play. Its less balanced than AoS and not a lot of meat to it. Wizards and ranged models are very good, and warscrolls that rely on numbers for buffs (zombies, freeguilds, etc) are at a big disadvantage. Unsurprisingly the marquee factions seem to do best (Stormcast, Khorne, Ironjawz)

richyp posted:

For AoS I was going to print the Warscrolls out for a couple of units each and just demo the rules which is why I was tempted to try Skirmish and the option to build the Warbands up gradually to introduce the warscrolls in phases, but I'm thinking Path to Glory might be better as at least you're working with units rather than individuals and in the end it's probably the same number of scrolls, just larger numbers from each. Now I'm trying to think of a reason to not introduce Path to Glory instead of Skirmish?

With the small model count you can play out a campaign of Skirmish in a week, where PtG is a hefty commitment if you are both upgrading your forces over time and adding new stuff. If you already got a lot of models then give PtG a try. The first couple games of PtG are basically 500 point regular games of AoS which is the ideal level for introduction I think.

I'd recommend against the PtG book missions for beginning though, they've got weird/complicated stuff going on. I like using the Open War cards.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 28, 2017

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Thanks for the advice luckily I grabbed the deck of cards when the GHB 2017 came out. When I say Path to Glory I think I really just mean a small scale standard game of AoS with 2/3 of units and a hero each, which would be just enough to get the hang of the rules and not worry about missing an ability every other go because I forgot to look at the scroll in detail etc.. Then add in another unit of X next game (if the models haven't been banished after the first one).

Ah, yeah. If y'all get into the flavor f your heroes and making your own story you could implement the progression stuff in the PtG book but it does sound like you want to just start off with those small armies, an Open War scenario (without Ruse/Twist/SD) and the core rules.

also the Grundstok Thunderers are cool but their warscroll got updated in the GHB 17 and its kind of complicated and wordy for just 5 dudes now, unless you just play them without special weapons.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

richyp posted:

Or choose your favourite units from both as they're both Grand Alliance Order you can mix and match entirely or have a majority from one with the others as allies to keep the faction specific rules from your majority faction.

The Sylvaneth don't ally with anyone except Stormcast and the Wanderers I think. Playing generic Order is fun if you like having a variety of models and options, but Kharadron and Sylvaneth get a lot better with their allegiance abilities.

Both are cool factions. The angry trees teleport around forests, have an inexpensive resilient battle line unit and the Kurnoth Hunters seem like one of the better units in the game.

The Overlords can zoom around the board on their ships and try to just pound the enemy with broadsides and firing lines.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/06/firestorm-matched-play-rules-update/

They've issued an update for matched play that says you can't take take both faction allegiance and City allegiance at the same time, you have to choose between Faction or City+Grand Alliance. It seems pretty sensible.

Also removed the painting restrictions with a weird caveat.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

It does seem like it would interrupt the procedure and just immediately kill the model and end it. But if you had made all your rolls at once because they have the same hit/wound/rend then you'd get away with it, because warhammer

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really? I think that's one of the things they did right. The models especially are really dynamic (for the most part) or properly menacing.

The only part I'm not a fan of is the (lack of) background.

I gave the new book Spear of Shadows by Josh Reynolds a shot and founnd it pretty decent. It does a lot for the background, in the same ways that Firestorm does. Feels like they're finally making good on the setting.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 13, 2017

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

With the new allegiance abilities and allies rules you can certainly do Darkling Covens and Freeguild armies that can resemble that old stuff.

Also the goofy Empire outfits have been worked into the recent writing fairly well, though all the Karl Franz insignia on models is an issue

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Midig posted:

I regret not buying the old dwarf models when I could. I had to buy Bretonnia models on ebay a couple of days ago. If you want to get/expand an Empire army, now is the time to buy it in panic.

The old dwarf models are still available? Also taking the release of new boxes and rules for models as cue for panic about squatting seems kinda wild.

As someone who is still fairly new in Warhammer stuff all the speculation/anticipation of GW doing bad things is fun to watch though

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Edit: Actually, I have a question too. I'm thinking about picking up an old WHF rulebook and a Dwarf army book for lore and fun pictures. Is there any edition that's particularly good for that, or should I just grab 8th edition if I can find it cheap?

I just bought a skaven army and it came with the 6th edition Skaven book, and it's full of good stuff. It looks like the 6th Ed books are fairly inexpensive on eBay too.

also the best source for disposessed models is also going to be eBay unless you want that big Tempests Eye box

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

just don't be rude and consider buying something if you're going to use the space a lot. Unless your GW's manager is weird I doubt discussion of local area shops is completely verboten, just don't walk in telling everyone how much GW sucks

My local GW is smaller than the LGSes around (1 painting table, 4-6 playing tables depending on setup) but the manager is easily way more helpful and nice than the local shops' employees.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

moths posted:

I'm mostly interested since there have (apparently) been substantial improvements since that 4 page book.

The 4 pages of rules haven't changed. The GHB will give you points, matches play rules, missions and allegiance abilities/artifacts. The Khorne Battletome will give you some army-specific abilities and artifacts.

The 4 page book and your warscrolls are all you need to mechanically play a game of AoS, the rest is just more structure and army depth.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is the 2016 GHB null and void at this time? Or is everything other than points values still valid?

The stuff in the Open Play and Narrative sections is still fine, and the Matched Play battleplans are still usable, but the Matched Play rules, points and allegiances are obsolete and replaced by the GHB 2017 and any tournaments will use the new battleplans.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I've recently started playing Bloodbound and they are a lot of fun. However I came up against a Tzeenetch army last week dull of ranged attacks and ofc lots of mortal wound dealing spells. It was a catastrophe and I felt I had literally no answers. By the time I closed he tar pitted me with pink/blue/brimstone horrors, while shooting and spelling me to death. It was my first totally unfun AoS game. Most upsetting was losing Skaarac turn one without him even moving.

Not sure how to counter other than add a hit more speed to the force maybe with Skullcrushers. I was also debating running the Gore Pilgrims battalion for the increased totem ranges and rerolls for the priests but it seems expensive at 180 points.

Skyfires are pretty fragile if you can catch them and get the first attack in combat. I don't know what kind of ranged capabilities KBB has but I'm guessing "not much", so you may want to use the battalion for the better chance of going first if you can get your boys fast enough to cross the table in a turn.

alternatively put the biggest LOS blocking terrain piece you got in the middle of the board

Tzeentch can be a really crap army to play against in casual games if they aren't taking it easy in list building

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

moths posted:

I just got the Bloodbound book, it really reminds me of the 7e 40k Daemonkin in a lot of good ways.

Weren't there a bunch of fixes to the core game, like ditching the every turn go-first roll and stuff? I have the 2017 general companion but not the other one.

nope, the 6 page core rules haven't changed. Still got the turn roll-offs. Its accessible at in the AoS app if you got that, for some reason they didn't print it in this year's GHB.

I think the core is pretty solid still. Random turn order and no shooting restrictions are hard to get used to, but you just account for them the same as any other rules (and I think the potential double turn makes the first turn weaker than it is in other games like 40k, which is good). There are rumors that a rules update is coming next year though, and I would welcome some kind of Hero shooting-at restriction similar to 40k 8th edition.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Those are some good lookin mans. especially love the boarhead banner.

I have a question regarding battalions. Mainly I wanna know if this list is legal.

I'm planning on taking Gore Pilgrims, which is 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, 1 unit of Blood Warriors and 1 unit of Bloodreavers mandatory. You can take an additional Slaughterpriest and 1 more unit of Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers.

If you're making an army list at say 2,000 points, are you allowed to take units outside of the battalion?

Some other questions - Can I take 2 x Banners of Rage? Also, only the Bloodsecrator in the battalion benefits from the boost, correct?

Thanks!

You can take units outside the battalion. The battalion grants extra rules to only the units in the battalion, and those units are counted as one drop in deployment. I didn't add up the points on your list but make sure you are paying points for that battalion (180).

The banner artifacts would be subject to the new Rule of One that limits artifacts to one per army, unless there is something special in the KBB book that might get around that.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

SRM posted:

- Since Gunmasters don't grant rerolls to cannons anymore, my Greatcannon never hits a drat thing

It's actually in the rules for the Cannon for Ironweld Arsenal. It gets rerolls if an engineer is nearby, and the gun master is one. Might want to try that warscroll out instead next time, that cannon can be brutal.

I've played against that kind of Freeguild army a lot. Handgunners are amazing and the infantry are all great on the defense, but I think it really needs something that can cover ground to catch objectives. Maybe Demigryph Knights but they seem probably bad.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

SRM posted:

There's an AoS tourney coming up and I'm thinking of attending with my Empire mans. How's this look for a list?

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Indomitable
- Pistol & Sigmarite Weapon
- Artefact : Relic Blade
Gunmaster (80)
- Allies
Battlemage (100)
- Allies
Units
30 x Freeguild Handgunners (300)
30 x Freeguild Guard (240) (spears and shields)
20 x Freeguild Guard (160) (swords and shields)
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)
5 x Freeguild Pistoliers (130)
War Machines
Cannon (180)
- Allies
Total: 1490 /1500
Allies: 360 / 400
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 1/4
Wounds: 129

I'm planning on using the Free Peoples allegiance bonuses and having a big ol' block of dudes holding ground while my general does Hold the Line every turn. The wizard will either Mystic Shield or Wildform a unit every round to make my shooting even stronger or my blocks of troops even tougher. The Pistoliers are in there because I have the models and they'd be the quickest way to fill out my remaining points while still giving me a cheap harassment/objective grabbing unit.

It looks solid for 1500 points. Freeguild allegiance and a big block of hangunners make it so hard for anyone except the beefiest monsters to charge you if you position them right. The key will be knowing when to hold your ground and when to push the block forward.

Do you have any greatswords? they're expensive but great at murdering things in combat, maybe look into them if you go up to 2k points.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

the warscroll for pink horrors doesn't mention anything rules wise about pink horrors splitting into blue horrors is that just a fluff thing now?

It's on the warscroll for Blue Horrors, and the rules for splitting blues is on the Brimstone scroll.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does the allies system in AoS basically work the same way as the 40k one?

I really like the blightkings models and wanted to paint a few up. Could I ally them with my Blades of Khorne stuff?

If you are running a Khorne allegiance army you can bring up to 20% of your points as allies and still maintain the allegiance and use allegiance abilities. So in a 2K Khorne army you can fit 10 blightkings for 360 points and be fine.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I doubt this. They seem to be downplaying them as shown by the fact that many of them are not legal in matched play anymore. We may be going the route of Stratagems soon enough.

I think they just wanted to ditch the compendium battalions as part of trying to bury compendium stuff in general.

Every battalion that has been printed in a Grand Alliance or Battletome book is still valid and the GHB 2017 even added some battalions for a couple factions with older battletomes.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I played a good game today, my Spiderfang Grot army against a Soulblight army. I forgot to take pictures but here's one my opponent took.

We played the Starstrike mission from the GHB17, as I'd gotten a bit tired of the randomness of the Open War cards (still a cool way to play though). I won the game. 720 points of my opponent's army is dedicated to an allied Arkhan and 400 summoning points for Mourngul (so as to keep Soulblight allegiance), and my Spear Chukka allies got hot and killed Arkhan before he could successfully summon the Mourngul.

I need to really get going on these spiders and finish them so I can post the army itself.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

I bought a start collecting set at the beginning of this month and it’s still shrink wrapped. Apparently it’s ineligible because you have to buy a new one.

My local GW is being pretty lenient and let folks start a week or two ago.

I bought the Malignants box yesterday and I also went ahead and got the stuff for month three for them (more Spirit Hosts, Morghasts and Arkhan). Should be fun to paint.

The prizes are :effort: but idk, I just like having motivation to paint

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Please say you just bought Start Collecting Skeleton Hordes rather then Arkhan on his own. I just can't help but see it as a waste if you do.

The Neferata-themed Battleforce Box, actually. It has the Morghasts in it too. It helps that I always want more skeletons.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

here thread have some spooky spirits.

I hope the Nighthaunt ghost boys get good rules in the new book.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

How did you get that look?

I did a lot of messing around with inks/shades/drybrushing but it was essentially: prime white, wash with blue-green ink/shade (I mixed my own color but its pretty close to Nihilakh Oxide with a drop or two of Biel-tan Green), then drybrushing of Skink Blue, Hellion Green and thinned white.

You can just go prime->green wash->white drybrush for a decent spectral look real fast but I had time to waste and wanted to to see if I could get a better look with multiple drybrush colors.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

With Arkhan as one of the build options for the Nighthaunt in the Malign Portents painting contest I’m guessing he gets the ghosts.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I think it’s a great way that AoS is different from most other skirmish tabletop games. It makes you plan ahead about combat positioning and makes retreating a more interesting decision. It also makes the shooting rules pretty simple.

It makes sense when treemen with big spiky bow are shooting spectral arrows into bounding Khorne bloodthings but does look dumb when a handgunner is firing point blank into an orc.

There’s room for improvement but like the turn roll-offs it makes you play the game different in a way I think is good.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

the double turn is my least favorite part of AOS. will I get used to it as I get good? do most people play with that rule?

yes and yep. You just start accounting for it and playing the objectives in the mission. If you are going first and your opponent is setup for the possible double turn, then you maybe just play defense or the objectives and wait for your upcoming possible double turn. Also if you are going second and win the roll for round 2 its sometimes the best idea to give them the top of the round so that its just alternating unless they decide to let you have a double turn later.

S.J. posted:

holy poo poo

in other news, is there any reason for me to get into ironjawz/greenskins/whatever? or are they just awful. it's really weird to me seeing that the entire ironjawz 'faction' consists of like 6 options

gitmob grots artillery is pretty good and those factions can ally them. but its finecast web order only.

My destruction army is Spiderfang Grots. They're fun. Sometimes I get lucky with the Grand Alliance allegiance ability and send 30 spider riders screaming across the table but I'm not going to tell anyone they're actually competitive.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

S.J. posted:

Okay I think really I'm just looking for a faction where I can play a couple monsters in a 2k game and be cool with that. Ironjawz I could do the Maw Krusha and I guess a giant but I have no clue if giants are worth it. Death seems like it's got plenty of good monster sized stuff though.

Can you ally with more than one other faction or just one?

each Grand Alliance has a decent selection of big things but most of Destruction's are forgeworld I think. The Rogue Idol, Troggoth Hag and Colossal Squig can ally into Ironjaws but are Forgeworld. I think the Gargants (giants) are okay but very random. Fun to play with but very unreliable and squishy with a 5+ save.

Allies are just whoever you can fit in the point allotment. You can mix grots and a gargant or whatever.

edit: they really should have made Spiderfang Grots an Ironjawz ally.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 28, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

If AoS is going to get character shooting restrictions it would be in the GHB, or they would reprint the small rules handouts. But I don’t really think it’s going to happen.

Hopefully Nagash comes up with a way of protecting his necromancers and wight kings.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

SRM posted:

So at the end of the day I went 3-0 and I got first place! I'd never won a tournament before, and I felt kinda bad for mopping the floor so badly with my dudes. What would counter my army? I imagine a lot of wizard fuckery or other shooting would give it trouble but I don't really know AoS super well outside of my little bubble of people playing with Old World armies.

Pretty much. Your guns are great but threat range is short compared to some other shooting armies. And your heaviest hitting units are slow. Your opponents need to force you to move with long range shooting, or be able to charge their whole army at you (or over you with flying) from outside of your shooting range. Or deep strike some ranged units near you and try to snipe your general or take out gunners.

A number of armies can do those things but turtling like that is uncommon in AoS and freeguild do it better than anyone probably.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

How the hell am I going to make a 1k list for Soulblight. I need to take the Lord on Zombie Dragon (escalation league and your general must be static), and the points for Vargheists and Blood Knights just don't line up :/

One unit of each and then 140 summoning/ally points (Cairn wraith + any 80 point unit, or some Spirit Hosts). Or just 2 units of blood knights. Blood knights are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

New summoning sounds rad if only because I will get to paint up some graveyard terrain

• Locked thread