Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Anyone else trying out the new .244" health spiles? Word is the spile scar heals over in a single growing season, but they can block with ice more easily. I'm curious to see how they compare to the 5/16s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I've never heard of those but I just got everything switched to 5/16 so I'll roll with that for a while.

.244 left. 5/16 right.

The 244 walls are thin. The drill is 6mm while the interior diameter of the spile is only 5.6mm.

For comparison, the 5/16 spile measures 7.9mm.

This is important because when you drill a hole in a tree you're drawing the base of an isosceles triangle extending above and below the spile hole - which will fill in with the tree equivalent of scar tissue. A smaller spile leaves a smaller scar.

I plan to weigh my buckets as I gather them. If there is a significant difference in performance of 5/16s vs .244s, I will hopefully discover it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
:v:

Does anyone know what temperature sap ought to boil at when it's at 20%?
https://www.amazon.com/Liquor-Super-Yeast-X-Press-Makes/dp/B00CWEAPQQ

http://vius.ca/hobbies/brewing/maple-wine/ posted:

The first time I tapped my maple trees, I began to think about the sugar water I was gathering. Every time I think about sugar water, I think wine!

It began to occur to me that every recipe I have seen is basically “water down maple syrup”, but my maple syrup instructions always read “take maple sap and remove water”. Wait a minute… why waste all the time and fuel. Why not just evaporate less water in the first place?
Procedure
Standard wine making procedures apply

Heat your concentrate to ~80°C
Peel lemon, and mash it up
Mix ingredients in primary
Let stand 12 hours (or until 30°C)
Add yeast and mix well
Siphon to carboy after one week, put in air trap
Rack monthly for several months

e:

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Interested to hear how your experiment goes, go team 5/16!

I need to re-evaluate my experiment. Having the 5/16ths on bucket spiles and the .244 on tubing invalidates data collected during or after windy conditions.

Also the .244s have a disadvantage compared to the 5/16ths in terms of drill bit strength.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 23, 2017

• Locked thread