Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Problem description: I bought a new rig to build over the weekend. With everything together, the SSD, the fans, and the graphics cards are all running, but there is no display. Also, the attached Chassis Speaker isn't beeping.

Attempted fixes: I tried to test each component individually, but most aren't compatible with my old build. The SSD, PSU, and the graphics card attached to the old one did allow a display (though they wouldn't allow the computer to start). I then took off the processor chip and looked at the motherboard's processor port. I linked the images below:

Zoomed in motherboard processor port

Motherboard processor port

Processor

3 of the pins on the processor port on the motherboard are bent near the upper right corner. I'm not sure if I did it or if it came that way.

I looked around google and someone said to try to use tweezers to bend them back, but I was unsuccessful in doing that. Could this be the cause of my problem? If so, is there any way I can fix it, short of eating the cost? If not, is there anything else that could be causing this?

Recent changes: It is a new graphics card, SSD, motherboard, memory, processor, and PSU. The case is the same.

--

Operating system: None yet, though I have Windows 10 ready

System specs: Motherboard: ASRock Super Alloy H110M-ITX; Processor: i5-Core 6600 LGA1151; PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 GS, Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 PC4-24000, 8192MB x 2; Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070; Storage: Samsung 500 GB SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Was it your GPU or the motherboard that your monitor was connected to? Try connecting to your motherboard's video port without the GPU installed, see if you get video (after you put the CPU back in of course).

It's possible that your pins are causing this problem, but it's hard to tell just how bent they are from your picture (it's hard to get a good phone picture of them, I know). I've had some success with using a plastic card (like a credit card) and a toothpick (soft wood) to get the pins back into position. Use the card to act as a guide and the toothpick to move the pin. Just be gentle! Is your picture pre or post tweezers?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Was it your GPU or the motherboard that your monitor was connected to? Try connecting to your motherboard's video port without the GPU installed, see if you get video (after you put the CPU back in of course).

It's possible that your pins are causing this problem, but it's hard to tell just how bent they are from your picture (it's hard to get a good phone picture of them, I know). I've had some success with using a plastic card (like a credit card) and a toothpick (soft wood) to get the pins back into position. Use the card to act as a guide and the toothpick to move the pin. Just be gentle! Is your picture pre or post tweezers?

Disconnecting the GPU didn't work. Picture was post tweezers. I retried with the card and toothpick to no avail. I'm gonna see if they'll exchange it. Thanks so much for your help!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Update: I received the new motherboard in the mail and installed everything tonight. Still no display. I'm not sure why it is doing this, since my old system works just fine with the display. The only thing I can think of is the processor or the memory.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try connecting only the essential parts and use only one stick of RAM at a time. See if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Think I've finally gotten it, though I'm still not sure why. For those who care: Last night I was able to finally get a display by only connecting one stick of memory, no graphics card, and only the new SSD (not the old HDD). After installing Windows, I was able to add in the other stick of memory and the drive, but not the graphics card. So I tried my old graphics card, and it didn't work either (though I'm not sure if they're actually compatible or not). This morning, I changed the power cord to the graphics card (and plugged it into a different port, though I doubt that's why, since the fans were already working) and plugged in my HDMI to the graphics card's port instead of the motherboard's (though I had tried that already). For some reason it worked.

Thanks so much to you guys who helped me!

• Locked thread