Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I don't really know how to say this or how to be a normal person while this is happening. My Jack Russell is 16-17 years old. She's gone completely blind. She doesn't seem to hear or even smell correctly. She stopped eating hard food and only eats the disgusting wet food or people food. And this week, she sort of stopped eating even the wet food, and she just sleeps all day and doesn't move around much or do anything. You can't play with her because she can't SEE. She's still occasionally active and it's confusing because she gets hyper every 2 or 3 days. but then just runs into everything and gets freaked out and lays down.

I've had her since she was 10 weeks old and she met my dad once, who died when I was 24, so in psycho nerd terms, she's my oldest living family member. I haven't had to process a dog death since I was 7 and our Fox Terrier "died". I feel like a whiny rear end in a top hat, but I literally don't know what to do or think. I have no idea how to make her life better or do the right thing. My dad put down our Fox Terrier after a year of this - when she has lost the use of her back legs and my parents had to wash her in the bathtub twice a day because she couldn't control her bowels. Dig-dug is just old and blind. I can't believe how old she is.

I don't know how to put this.. if she could live to a thousand, sign me up, but she's sad and blind and tired and I have all these conflicting thoughts, like I can't go anywhere or do anything because I'm worried that she's not eating or getting any attention. And I feel like I'm gonna freak the hell out and go nuts when one day she just doesn't wake up? I almost want to just get it over with. Is this weird or psychotic or just normal attachment to a beloved pet? I've had her for most of my adult life. 17 years is a long loving time.

Dig-dug (diggy) and Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Thanks. I feel really vulnerable and silly sometimes. My friend's kid is in the hospital with Type 1 genetic diabetes and any comparison I very gently made freaked her out and pissed her off like I'm some kind of monster. Her daughter is only 5 and I've had Diggy for 17 years and I had her before both of my parents died. gently caress that your dumb kid is human. It doesn't make me a monster.

I wouldn't euthanize her unless she was in obvious pain. But it's kind of hard to tell if she's in pain or not. She doesn't make much noise or do anything besides sleep most of the day. She still has nightmares/dreams which are always funny when your Dogs have them. It just freaked me out this week when she has stopped eating basically. That's pretty much the end right? When they stop eating?

*edit* I didn't mean gently caress that kid, it just came out wrong like it did with my friend and it's probably why she's pissed at me. I'm crying almost every night because I'm scared my best friend is going to be dead when I wake up.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 27, 2017

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Thanks guys. I'm not an outwardly emotional person, but all these random feelings that are not always benevolent or "good". keep cropping up, and I don't feel great about it. I think everyone has these feelings occasionally and it doesn't make you a bad person because you had a thought, you know? It's how you act on those thoughts.

I will give her snuggles and cuddles every day as long as she'll put up with it. She has no patience for snuggles anymore for some reason lol. I think her old bones just hurt all the time. She went from the customary 4 turns before plopping down to about 20 spins.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Man, I've been here so long (on and off) that the overall traffic seems really low all of a sudden. I'm not talking about this particularly Emo thread, just a general thought. Any stats?

Anyways, Diggy wouldn't eat today until almost 4PM, and that was including waving green peppers (her FAVORITE food) and steak fajitas under her nose, and she wouldn't get up. I sat there and petted her for an hour but she wasn't doing the off/on shaking like she was injured. She just blew me off and wouldn't give me kisses or sit up at all.

I got really scared, but then she went upstairs and hung out by her bowl, and then ate a full tray of Nutro wet gross food at 5 pm and then at 11:40PM!! that punk went upstairs and stood by her bowl again and I gave her another wet food tray and she ate in in less than 10 minutes which is a personal best. (she is the SLOWEST eater EVER. She sidles up to her own bowl like it might attack her, and then licks every single morsel about 10 times before she actually eats it. I have to stand there and watch or even hold onto Batman or shut her in a bathroom so she doesn't get bored and steal it)

Since Dig-Dug has gone on the only-wet-food diet, I have been feeding her at 11:30-noon and 5 pm,(she usually sleeps til at least 10AM) with a little rice or other human food added and in between. How can this little dog scare me so much when she is so ridiculously healthy at 17 YEARS OLD and absolutely blind lol. Probably because I've had her for 16-17 years and she's awesome :)

You know how when your parents or other old relatives are dying and the doctors are basically like "just make them happy dude, and here's some morphine" Diggy won't even eat real bacon or green peppers and she's SO randomly energetic, it's almost more mentally exhausting than when she was a horrifyingly bitey little JRT puppy. I swear there was about 3 months where I would occasionally shut myself in the bathroom just for a 5-minute break lol. Terriers :laffo:

• Locked thread