Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I would do weird things to get a Thema with the ferrari v8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Speaking of Ferrari:

Italian police foil plot to steal Enzo Ferrari's body

quote:

Police in Nuoro on the island of Sardinia told a news conference they suspected that a gang had planned to demand a ransom from the Ferrari family or company after spiriting away the body.

They gave no further details about the plot but said it was discovered during an investigation into arms and drug trafficking that led to a number of arrests.
:wtc:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They can rebuild him, they can make him shorter, more grumpy and shouty.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

DoLittle posted:

Edit: To continue with the subject of needlessly flamboyant Italian engineering in relatively mundane cars. This sandcast aluminum creation is the standard oil pan of a 60's 1.3 litre family sedan (Alfa Giulia):

The best part is the 15 miles of gasket surfaces that are below the oil level on a part that's designed to have a temperature gradient across it. After all it wouldn't be an Alfa if it didn't leak.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Leaking just lets you know it has oil

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Then there's AR51, 1952-54 military jeep.

It has DOHC engine, dry sump lubrication and independent double unequal length wishbone suspension with torsion bar spring. In 1954 Italian military switched a more simple FIAT made jeep. Go figure.

The first gen FIAT Campagnola was in production until 1973:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DoLittle posted:

Then there's AR51, 1952-54 military jeep.

It has DOHC engine, dry sump lubrication and independent double unequal length wishbone suspension with torsion bar spring. In 1954 Italian military switched a more simple FIAT made jeep. Go figure.

The first gen FIAT Campagnola was in production until 1973:

Someone found a scenario where changing to Fiat improved reliability lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fiat has always done cheap and simple pretty well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Car and Driver did a test of the FIAT 500X:

2017 Fiat 500X
The best modern Fiat that isn't a Mazda underneath

quote:

Overview: Introduced for 2016 as a platform-mate to the Jeep Renegadeand the largest member of the Cinquecento familythe 500X is Fiat Chryslers Italian loafer in the popular class of micro-utes. As with the adorably tiny Jeep, the Fiat crossover comes standard with front-wheel drive and is powered by a turbocharged 1.4-liter inline-four that produces 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. The base turbo engine is mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission, which means that getting the optional ZF nine-speed automatic also necessitates ordering the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter four-cylinder ($1500) that pumps out 180 horses but just 175 lb-ft of torque. Base models roll on 16-inch steel wheels, but aluminum 16-, 17-, and 18-inchers are available. An all-wheel-drive system can be had only with the 2.4, for an extra $1900.

The 500X eschews the Renegades boxy form in favor of a sculpted jellybean motif that it wears quite well. While its not the best to drive in its classthe 500X finished fourth, behind the Renegade, in a six-ute comparison test we held in 2015all versions carry EPA estimates of at least 29 mpg on the highway, and a substantial number of amenities and safety-tech features are available if youre willing to pay for them.
VIEW 76 PHOTOS

Whats New: As its still relatively fresh to the market, the 500X changes little for 2017. Trim levels have been pared down to just threePop, Trekking, and Loungewith only the Pop available with the 1.4 turbo and the stick. The Trekking employs extra satin-silver body cladding front and rear for a more rugged aesthetic, while the Lounge adds a few more chrome pieces for a polished vibe. The 500Xs standard features are accurately categorized as basic, the better to keep the starting price at a low $20,990, although you can upgrade from the base 3.0-inch central touchscreen to a 5.0-inch Uconnect system as well as add a rearview camera and a parking-assist system as part of the $895 Popular Equipment package. A 6.5-inch infotainment display, heated seats and steering wheel, automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning and assist, and other luxuries are limited to the grander trim levels. Our example for this review was a Trekking with AWD, which started at $26,245 and rocketed past $32,000 with a load of options, including power and heated front seats, leather upholstery, 18-inch wheels, a dual-pane sunroof, every available safety technology, and the top-level Uconnect system with navigation and premium Beats stereo.

What We Like: The 500Xs styling is perky and cute, standing in stark contrast to the larger Fiat 500L, which is bloated and strange-looking. FCAs Uconnect touchscreen interface is highly responsive and one of the most intuitive in the business. While the Pop models level of equipment is rather meager, the 1.4 with the manual gearbox can be fun and is highly affordable, and its also nearly a second quicker than the AWD 2.4 version both to 60 mph (7.8 seconds) and through the quarter-mile (16 ticks flat). The 500Xs 163-foot stop from 70 mph was tops in the aforementioned comparison test, and its interior noise level at 70 mph (69 decibels) tied the Kia Soul for first place. And were all for small, practical cars with lots of features and decent ergonomics, both of which the Fiat has.
VIEW 76 PHOTOS

What We Dont Like: The 500Xs initial appeal plummets as soon as you pile on the options or hit the open road. The $32,255 that our example cost would buy a pretty nice Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, both of which are larger, more powerful, and can be similarly equipped. And neither will try to dive into the pavement under braking or list onto its side mirrors around corners as the 500X does. (The Honda won a 10Best Trucks and SUVs award for 2017 as our best compact SUV.) Whats more, the Fiat has one of the tightest cabins in its class, rivaling the itty-bitty Mazda CX-3, and lacks the interior quality we expect in a vehicle at this price. Additionally, rear-seat riders must do without vents or power outlets.

The good news is that the 2.4-liter model matched its EPA combined rating in our testing; the bad news is that, at 24 mpg, that figure was second to worst among its comparison-test peers. Along with its floppy dynamics and vague, numb steering that is managed via an overly thick wheel that doesnt tilt down far enough for some drivers, the 2.4-liter/nine-speed combo makes for tedious highway cruising; the automatic bounces among ratios at the slightest throttle provocation. While most of the 500Xs issues can seem less egregious at a more reasonable price point, if youre fine with spending close to $30K on a subcompact crossover, the 2017 Kia Soulanother 10Best Trucks and SUVs laureateis a far better investment.

Verdict: Funky and visually interesting, but ultimately there are better options in the crossover ranks.

So basically, keep it basic. Good value as a base model, options quickly move it up to competing with substantially better cars. The 2.4L Multiair really seems disappointing, which is unfortunate as the 1.4T is a very sweet little powerplant and a competent big brother would be good to have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah I have had an extensive sampling of small Euro crossovers and actually the Fiat 500X is hot spicy garbage

seriously buy literally ANY OTHER small euro crossover. The Captur, the Cactus, the EcoSport, Mokka, HR-V are all better than the 500X by a long shot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The HR-V is really slow. Like REALLY slow. I test drove one this weekend and was amazed at how wheezy and underpowered it was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sharkytm posted:

The HR-V is really slow. Like REALLY slow. I test drove one this weekend and was amazed at how wheezy and underpowered it was.

the 500x is slow, cramped, ugly and poorly made

At least with the Honda it's well made and the interior is cleverly designed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually BUY the Fiat. I've was just commenting on the HR-V. Now, the CR-V was pretty nice, and the 1.5t is quick and kinda fun to drive. I also wasn't impressed with the RAV 4, the interior was cheap, and it wasn't quick either, although the hybrid was a little better.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sharkytm posted:

Imagine a ladder rack on top and extension ladder on it. Now, imagine 300lbs of crap in the back. That is my work HR-V. Probably the only time I'm happy to have a CVT because using WOT for 20 seconds solves the slow problem mostly. Despite that, and the fact I do mostly poorly paved backroads at the high speeds, I get ~32mpg.

I love my Mexican built Honda

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I've had my Abarth 500 Cabrio "for sale" for the last 6 months, because I only drive it 5 miles or so per week and my wife thinks it's a waste of money (she has a 500 pop that she hasn't driven in 8 months). I listed it high, and usually ignore people that ask about it, but someone just confirmed that they want to buy it this week and is actually making arrangements to pick it up.

poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This is kind of a fund top gear segment where they talk a little bit about the Fulvia and a little bit about some other Lancias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1RKpdFjE4I

also prepare to stab yourself in the ear hole because british people can't loving say Lancia good God it's not difficult

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I drove my sister-in-law's Renegade and was blown away at how bad everything was. Gf's Crosstrek seems 5 years newer and somehow a LOT more powerful, despite it having a CVT vs the jeep/fiat's 6spd.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OK, ladies - here's your big chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYMAQVeH8g

https://www.hoonigan.com/hooniganswanted

Wanna see that car race, regardless of who's driving it. :swoon:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So wtf is a "Hoonigan" supposed to be anyhow? I've seen that sticker on terrible looking trash heaps of cars lately and have no clue.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

slidebite posted:

So wtf is a "Hoonigan" supposed to be anyhow? I've seen that sticker on terrible looking trash heaps of cars lately and have no clue.

An idiot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

slidebite posted:

Rally racing team. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoonigan_Racing_Division

Ed: "hoon" is an Australian slang term for a loud, obnoxious, aggressive driver.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Long-Range Bull: Driving a 250,000-Mile Lamborghini Murcielago

Great story about a Lambo that actually has 250k miles on the clock. Yes, it was expensive as hell to maintain.

quote:

The biggest single expense is fuel: Because the car averages 10 mpg overall including track use, the cost translates to about $162,000. Crash repairs cost around $115,000, 84 sets of tires have cost $97,400, servicing and engine rebuilds have cost an estimated $64,000, insurance has cost more than $19,000, and everything else, including British road taxes, adds about another $25,000. Thats a total of 498,000, or nearly $640,000.

$640,000 is roughly 3x the original selling price. Only $50,000 per year!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
50k/yr isn't bad for an exotic, especially whilst piling on that many miles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That's an expensive investment.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My wife and I decided last night to keep her 500 pop for my daughter who turns 15 next month. It's small, fairly safe, cheap to drive, and is a stick. Perfect first car!

I'm going to try to pick up a set of the 1957 edition wheels and wrap it in a similar powder blue to give it a bit more character than just the "red 500" look it has now. It did have an Abarth spoiler on it when we bought it, which seems like an odd thing to have as your only modification.

I guess we're staying a two fiat family.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

A word made from the terms "hooligan" and "hoon"

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Is the 500 actually a bad car? I've seen them locally for $4-5k with like 60k miles and clean. It's stick, it's tiny, perfect to park in city. What am I missing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blaise posted:

Is the 500 actually a bad car? I've seen them locally for $4-5k with like 60k miles and clean. It's stick, it's tiny, perfect to park in city. What am I missing?

No, it's not bad at all. People just like to make fun of it because of FIAT's reputation from 30 years ago and Consumer Reports routinely hates all things associated with Chrysler.

Its repair record is below average, but not by a lot. If you like the car, the repairs mean nothing. It also tends to be small, cheap stuff that breaks.

Basically, it's a car with a distinct personality. If that personality fits you, it will be a great car you'll love. If it doesn't fit, though, you'll hate everything about it.

Based on Consumer Reports' own numbers, the TCO for a FIAT 500 is about $6000 per year for the first five years. A Toyota Prius is among the best at $5000, a Mazda3 Hatchback is about $7000. So it's right in there with other small cars. If you like it, buy it and have fun.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I think it's fun. I drive a miata, so small is good. I just need something with a hard top that's quiet enough to drive places and not a bright yellow miata with a roll bar and race tires when I meet clients.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A used 500 is a great buy.

A new 500 is a terrible buy.

I decided on a whim to drive my Abarth to work today, which I only do a couple of times per month. Still smiling.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's not bad at all. People just like to make fun of it because of FIAT's reputation from 30 years ago and Consumer Reports routinely hates all things associated with Chrysler.

Its repair record is below average, but not by a lot. If you like the car, the repairs mean nothing. It also tends to be small, cheap stuff that breaks.

Basically, it's a car with a distinct personality. If that personality fits you, it will be a great car you'll love. If it doesn't fit, though, you'll hate everything about it.

Based on Consumer Reports' own numbers, the TCO for a FIAT 500 is about $6000 per year for the first five years. A Toyota Prius is among the best at $5000, a Mazda3 Hatchback is about $7000. So it's right in there with other small cars. If you like it, buy it and have fun.
Just to add something to compare the Consumer Reports verdict with:
Reliability Index in UK has the Fiat 500 at a rating of 71 (which places it at number 78 in the top 100 most reliable cars they have records on), where the average car is at 100 when it comes to reliability. The lower the better. The average 5 year repair cost total (including labor) is 285.62. The company behind reliability index is Warranty Direct, and they use the same data to calculate the cost of buying car warranty from them so they have no interest whatsoever in making a car out to be more reliable than it is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As soon as my wife doesn't need a big car/people carrier I'm getting her a sage green 500. She absolutely loves them both to look at and drive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Italians have always done small cars well.

Still say the original Panda is one of the best.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's an Appia on BaT right now, and there's a hell of a lot of old Lancia expertise in the comment thread if you want to learn about bizarre poo poo that nobody cares about. I am curious to see how it ends up price-wise.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Deteriorata posted:

Rally racing team. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoonigan_Racing_Division

Ed: "hoon" is an Australian slang term for a loud, obnoxious, aggressive driver.

That crossed with the word "hooligan"

E: V
I didn't read the whole thread

You Am I posted:

A word made from the terms "hooligan" and "hoon"
Oh well, that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.
Anyone mentioned a maserati biturbo yet?

I was thinking about a 2010 alfa romeo 147 which I could probably get for $5k before deciding on a more vintage bmw instead

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 8, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

50k/yr isn't bad for an exotic, especially whilst piling on that many miles.

Not to mention it spent most of the time on the track, hence all the tires

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Decisions, decisions. Rosso, or Stromboli, AWD, or RWD.

I've been waiting a long time for a new Alfa.

I went into town today with the intention of trading in my Volvo C30 for a new V60 Cross Country, but then I saw that old familiar logo...

gently caress it, you only go around once.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
^ Good decision. All the owners I now have seemed happy with their Giulias. Some have considered "Veloce" seats mandatory, but they can be ordered also for non-Veloce models. Are you in Europe or US?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Easily a red one. If you haven't already, look up the Monza Red one as well, it's a really good looking colour if you'd like something a bit deeper. The Veloce seats are really nice as well, so be sure you try them out.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I'm in the US. Upon further review, I'm going for the Rosso. The Veloce seats are nice, and I love the 5 hole wheels, but this one is priced right, and I just sort of bonded with it.

• Locked thread