Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
C'mon. Even a high school student could see past it.

Mission Log
To stop the launch of the new-type of nuclear
warhead, Snake must use the detonation code
emergency override key at the underground
maintenance base up north, or destroy Metal Gear
itself. Snake fights Liquid's Hind D on the roof of
Communications Tower B and defeats it and gets
to the Snowfield north of Communications Tower B.

However, there awaits Sniper Wolf. After winning
the sniping battle on the Snowfield, he heads for
the entrance to the underground maintenance base
north of the Snowfield.

Well, I didn't quite make my goal of finishing the LP in 2018. But I finished Disc 1 and a little more! That's okay, I have no intention of dropping this, even as I enter year 6 of working on it! This update felt like a filler video going into it, but actually has a lot of cool moments if nothing plot-important. I guess I'm ...hot and cold on this video.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
All this time and we're only on page 2? I guess since you put so much content in the videos, there's not much left to talk about. I'll keep thanking you for your efforts, at least.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

This would be page 4 if I hadn't let the thread fall into archives like a goofus.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The number of conversations to the size of the elevator swap room was peak metal gear.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Recorded some commentary for the next video - should see an update in this week or so!

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Thanks for the status update. As always, I look forward to it.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

VR MISSIONS: Mystery 3

Here's the last group of Mystery VR missions! None of these are really brain busters. The limitations of the game mechanics probably prevent a complex crime scene investigation. Oh well?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

The next story update is in its final editing stages, I hope to have it up soon - and the following story update is also already recorded!

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I can't imagine how long all of this takes for you to make and make look so seemless. I am glad that you are keeping up with it!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Okay, so I got distracted on another project. But now! The aforementioned update is coming this week.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Rejoice, Snake! Ours will be a glorious battle!

Mission Log
To stop the launch of the new-type of nuclear
warhead, Snake must use the detonation code
emergency override key at the underground
maintenance base up north, or destroy Metal Gear itself.

While Snake heads down on the large cargo
elevator from the blast furnace beyond the
Snowfield to get to the lower level after defeating
Sniper Wolf again, Snake hears from Master Miller
that Naomi could be a spy. Snake cannot believe it,

but all he can do now is to head for the
underground maintenance base where Metal Gear
is stored.

I am proud of us for not doing stupid Mr. Freeze puns all video. This boss fight is really only as hard as you want it to be, as long as you were bothering to fill your ammo before taking that elevator.
That being said, if you fight fair, it's one of the cooler fights in the game.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

VR MISSIONS: No Good 2, rejected ballyhoo

This may be the shortest update I'll ever post. I mistakenly thought this category had 10 missions, but it only has 8. But one of them is a Mystery Mission, and it's better than some of the non-rejected ones!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

(Don't want this to fall in archives while I edit the commentary for next story update)

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

From today, call this place... "Outer Heaven".

Mission Log

To stop the launch of the new-type nuclear
warhead, Snake rushes to the underground
maintenance base. However, Vulcan Raven is

waiting for him. While Raven is dying after
being defeated by Snake, he tells Snake that
the DARPA Chief who died in front of Snake
was actually FOX-HOUND member Decoy Octopus

in disguise. Snake, who has been told by Master
that Naomi was lying about her identity, is
confused and filled with doubt, but heads for
the underground maintenance base just beyond
the door.

Snake's been heading for this underground maintenance base for 9 straight videos - ever since we met with Meryl in the ladies' room, we've just been trying to get here. And was it worth the wait?
I want to throw some appreciation to the VAs in the ending cutscene of this video. We're get some iconic hammy lines from Liquid (Cam Clarke), and there's many more where those came from.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I forgot just how crazy the story gets here, and it really plants some seeds for MGS2's start

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It makes me doubt how much MGS1 was written with the intention of being the end of the series. It could also be a retroactive thing, where MGS1 was scoured for loose ends when it came time to write a sequel.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Hooray, I've finally caught up to this. Looking forward to the continuing adventures of Worst Soldier Snake.

You know, their plan to hang out at Shadow Moses Island and take on the world is pretty terrible. The advantage of a walking nuclear tank that can launch from anywhere is kind of defeated when you decide to stay in one small location. Then other countries can just nuke you right back.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Schwartzcough posted:

You know, their plan to hang out at Shadow Moses Island and take on the world is pretty terrible. The advantage of a walking nuclear tank that can launch from anywhere is kind of defeated when you decide to stay in one small location. Then other countries can just nuke you right back.

I think it's more that the US isn't meant to have the Metal Gear, and revealing that would severely harm it's reputation. The Metal Gear, the nuke, the genome soldiers - everything on the island is a big list of things it has told the UN it doesn't have.

"Give us Big Boss' body, and ONE MEEL-LON DOLLARS *Dr. Evil finger pose* or we tell on you!"

It may make more sense in-universe, where there are less nukes in 2005 than in real-life's 2005.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I think it's more that the US isn't meant to have the Metal Gear, and revealing that would severely harm it's reputation. The Metal Gear, the nuke, the genome soldiers - everything on the island is a big list of things it has told the UN it doesn't have.

"Give us Big Boss' body, and ONE MEEL-LON DOLLARS *Dr. Evil finger pose* or we tell on you!"

It may make more sense in-universe, where there are less nukes in 2005 than in real-life's 2005.

Oh sure, the screwing over the US part is fine. I'm talking about his plan starting about here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdsplYASCk&t=1630s

"We'll get some extra Russian soldiers and just dig in right here to take on the world! We've got a cool weapon and spare warheads, what could go wrong!" Well, the fact that if you ever decide to actually ATTACK anyone with nuclear weapons, they knew exactly where you are on your tiny island and could wipe you out in retaliation.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Being that the nukes are stealth weapons (the big advantage of Metal Gear Rex), would anyone but the U.S. know where they came from, if they launched a nuke?
Liquid might be banking on the U.S. not admitting it because the blame will fall on the U.S. for developing it and allowing terrorists to use it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Right. If Liquid launches a nuke at Russia, (regardless of what specific weapon fired the nuke), Russia will be able to trace trajectory* and see "Hey, that thing came at us from Alaska, which is part of America. WTF, America?"

Now America could go, "Ah, ah, ah, terrorists took over our nuclear weapons disposal facility and fired that, not us." But then they still have to explain 1) How did the terrorists build a launch platform for a nuclear warhead that has Intercontinental capabilities? 2) Why did America not let their allies know that terrorists had taken over said site? 3) How long have they been there? 4) What have you been doing all this time to stop them?

*Yes, Metal Gear is capable of "stealth launch", but I think that is referring more to "it doesn't use rocket propulsion which is how traditional nuclear bombs/rockets get picket up by counter measures" and less "It materializes a bomb from the shadows, completely unseen until detonation"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Their "taking on the world" language made me think they're planning to have a more public presence than just "punching countries in the dark" to screw over the U.S. They're talking about having money, more soldiers, Big Boss' DNA, and Metal Gear Rex to allow them to become a military power in their own right, to initiate conflicts/make demands on other countries. And going "public" like that means, once countries get past being mad at the U.S., Outer Heaven becomes an international target for retaliation. They're not really equipped to handle that, even with Russian military backing.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I don't have an update to post, but I do have an post update - I powered through my holiday break and recorded the rest of the game! I recorded the calls themselves in 2011, and the last of the game in 2020. I plan on getting these edited and commentated soon (enough).

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I didn't realize the last update was in October! Here's possibly the best VR Missions while I prepare the next story video:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oh wow, I had no idea you could do that last mission that way. That's pretty awesome.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

A Youtube comment has informed me that Genolla was actually voiced by Hideo Kojima (per the MGS: VR Missions credits).

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

The story videos are still in the works! Have my absolute favorite VR Mission to help the wait go easier.

VR Mission: Mystery 4

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I could be wrong, but I think those scratches on the fireplace are a Japanese romance thing, kinda similar to Western couples carving their initials in a tree.

So it's probably a joke or something

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yes! I got the right solution.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Recorded commentary again, videos coming soon!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Snake, you've got to get that key!

Mission Log

Master repeatedly warns Snake that Naomi is an
enemy spy. While filled with doubt, Snake arrives
at the underground maintenance base. From
Otacon's call, Snake finds out that the new-type
nuclear warhead equipped on Metal Gear is a
stealth ballistic missile utilizing a rail gun.

Snake doubts Campbell who kept that fact a secret, but
he heads for the control room on the 3rd floor of
the underground maintenance base to stop the
launch of this new-type of nuclear warhead.
Snake finally arrived at the control room on the
3rd floor of the underground maintenance base,
but the detonation code has already been entered.

However, Snake hears from Otacon that he
discovered how to use the detonation code
emergency override key. The key is made of shape
memory alloy and changes into 3 shapes according
to temperature, each shape matching to the
corresponding terminal in the control room.

But Snake gets shot by Ocelot and drops the
key into the drainage ditch on the first floor
of the underground maintenance base.

This was a long but fun one to do. I remember from the planning stages of this LP being amazed at just how many calls there were during this sequence. When I was making this video I spent a while trying to research how the PAL key temperature changing is actually designed and as far as I can tell, no one bothered to explain the correct answer online - until now!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

This part of the game felt so horribly padded, what with having to go through the hall of cameras and climb ALLLL the way up and down Metal Gear so many drat times.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Snake! Did you like my sunglasses?

Mission Log
The detonation code of the new-type of nuclear
warhead has already been entered. Master tells
Snake, who is trying to use the detonation code
emergency override key to prevent the launch, of
the existence of the assassination virus weapon
FoxDie and that Naomi might have used it.
While heading to input the 3rd PAL code to stop
the launch of the new-type of nuclear warhead,
Snake receives a call from Naomi who has been
arrested as a spy. Naomi confesses that she is the
sister of Gray Fox, and that she betrayed Snake
as revenge, since Snake caused her brother to be
what he is now.

When the conversation got to the
subject of whom FoxDie has been used against,
the transmission was cut off. Campbell orders the
furious Snake to head to the control room after
changing the key to the warm temperature shape
in order to stop the launch of the new-type of
nuclear warhead.

Snake finally entered the 3rd PAL code. However,
the system announced that the nuclear warhead
has been activated. Laughing at the confused
Snake, Master Miller removes his sunglasses, and
reveals himself as Liquid Snake. Liquid used Snake
all this time to have Snake perform the emergency
input of the detonation code to activate the new-
type of nuclear warhead. Liquid runs to the cockpit
of Metal Gear as it starts to move. Snake goes
after him.

We're officially in the endgame! This is a fun fight even though it doesn't have many unique quirks like the other boss fights before. We also get some top-tier Cam Clarke Liquid lines in this video.
As for the LP, there are shockingly few codec calls after this point in the game, so it's downhill from here in terms of effort and quality! Strap in.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2020

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I had no idea you could hide at the edges of the arena. Guess I never thought to try since the fight isn't exactly hard.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Let's get tautological.

This is the longest VR Mission video because I finally thought it was time to show the introductory video and main menu of the game (8 years later?) It's also the penultimate mission, we're so close to that sweet 100%!!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

On closer inspection, this may not be the year I finish this.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Well on a positive note, I had enough time to go through the old thread and get caught up! It's amazing to me just how much I would miss if I played this again because I wouldn't being doing nearly this many codec calls.

Also, forced myself to watch the Metal Gear 1 and 2 videos first. It's surprising just how much from 2 was reused in Solid.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

2020! It's not over yet!

Here's the final set of VR Missions! We get to play as the Cyborg Ninja and massacre everyone! With this, we have 1st place rank in 100% of the missions and unlock a secret...

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Okay 2020 is over but it doesn't feel like it. We recorded the next update, it should be up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I won't die... as long as you still live.

Mission Log

Snake has been used by Liquid and entered the
detonation code. Snake, mad at the fact that he
was used, is told by Liquid of an even more
shocking fact. The Pentagon's goal from the
beginning was to assassinate the terrorists, and
others involved with FoxDie, carried by Snake, to
hide the facts about the development of Metal
Gear. Liquid also tells Snake that they are twins.

While Snake is shocked from what he has been
told Liquid finally starts controlling Metal Gear.

With Gray Fox giving his life to assist him, Snake
successfully destroys Metal Gear but loses
consciousness in the explosion.

It's been a long journey but we finally get to punch Liquid in the face, which I think was one of our 2 goals going in to this.
We get cut off from so many people on the codec by this point in the game, there actually aren't any codec calls beyond this point. If you've watched every Codec Versions up til now, you have heard 100% of the codecs in the game!

(Not really. There are a couple of Mei Ling proverbs as well as a couple of stragglers I could never get to "trigger" in-game. I know they exist because I followed the data off the disk as a checklist. I'll add all the missing ones to my bonus postgame video for completionism's sake.).