Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

TrixRabbi posted:

come on everybody, America is pretty great aside from all the war crimes.

is trump's strategy just to own america's terribleness and war mongering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

imagine how shocked i am to learn that America is the only nation to have ever committed war crimes. that's as woke as my kids middle school history teacher telling them that American slavery was unique and nobody else practiced generational slavery, and cited howard zinn as a source

Shut up dumbass

and i must meme posted:

is trump's strategy just to own america's terribleness and war mongering?

Yes.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Shut up dumbass

drat, rekt by edgy teenaged marxist. when you're done here you can go 360noscope yourself

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gobbagool posted:

imagine how shocked i am to learn that America is the only nation to have ever committed war crimes. that's as woke as my kids middle school history teacher telling them that American slavery was unique and nobody else practiced generational slavery, and cited howard zinn as a source

american slavery was a particularly cruel version of slavery, its true. maybe pick up a loving book in your goddamn life you moron

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

gobbagool posted:

drat, rekt by edgy teenaged marxist. when you're done here you can go 360noscope yourself

LOL! GBS for the mother loving win

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

babypolis posted:

american slavery was a particularly cruel version of slavery, its true. maybe pick up a loving book in your goddamn life you moron

huh, how was american slavery uniquely cuel? I mean I dont know why I'm asking a famously retarded leftist a question like that, but genuinely curious what you imagine to be the unique aspect of American slavery that made it worse than other chattel slavery over the last, say, 5000 years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

huh, how was american slavery uniquely cuel? I mean I dont know why I'm asking a famously retarded leftist a question like that, but genuinely curious what you imagine to be the unique aspect of American slavery that made it worse than other chattel slavery over the last, say, 5000 years

Do you really not get what "generational slavery" means?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Do you really not get what "generational slavery" means?

is your contention that no other civilization practiced generational slavery? Or do your history books only start in the 1770s? because you can't seriously be that retarded. Wait, you're a soviet fanboy, I guess you can be that retarded.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

is your contention that no other civilization practiced generational slavery? Or do your history books only start in the 1770s? because you can't seriously be that retarded. Wait, you're a soviet fanboy, I guess you can be that retarded.

You're so learned then, educate me.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're so learned then, educate me.

You're the one who made the extraordinary claim, that there was something unique and uniquely terrible about slavery in America. Let's you go ahead and support your ahistorical assertion, something beyond "but it was terrible I saw a movie about it"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gobbagool posted:

generational slavery, no way out of the system other than running awya, a deliberate lack of education, control over reproduction, the whole racism angle which wasnt present in many other forms of slavery and in general a complete lack of rights for slaves. something like say, roman slavery wasnt nowhere as bad. i wouldnt say it was uniquely cruel, thats a stupid claim and only your stupid rear end brain interpreted my post that way. in other words ur a loving moron mate

babypolis has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Mar 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

You're the one who made the extraordinary claim, that there was something unique and uniquely terrible about slavery in America.

No I wasn't lmao.

You really don't get what generational slavery means, or otherwise you would've explained it already.

Even now you can hear the sound of gobbagool furiously typing entries into the Wikipedia search bar.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No I wasn't lmao.

You really don't get what generational slavery means, or otherwise you would've explained it already.

Even now you can hear the sound of gobbagool furiously typing entries into the Wikipedia search bar.

I don't have to copy wiki articles so you can learn something. I'll give you a hint though, Black slaves in the Americas were not the first to be generational, not by many thousands of years. You do realize that there was a time before you, dont you?

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
America is, without a doubt, the worst country to ever exist in the history of our retard planet

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

America is, without a doubt, the worst country to ever exist in the history of our retard planet

You're in real good company with fellow retards pener and babypolis.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I'm so loving woke that even retards understand and agree with me

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

gobbagool posted:

You're in real good company with fellow retards pener and babypolis.

I know you're being willfully retarded so correcting this is pointless, but on this page (I didn't read anything not on this page) you quoted babypolis saying American slavery was "particularly" cruel, with particular meaning 'to a higher degree than average,' and not "uniquely cruel" as you have been claiming he meant for some reason.

While there have been other forms of slavery that equaled that of the Americas in cruelty, in the broad sweep of history this system does stand out for just how few rights or ways out there were for the slaves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

I don't have to copy wiki articles so you can learn something. I'll give you a hint though, Black slaves in the Americas were not the first to be generational, not by many thousands of years. You do realize that there was a time before you, dont you?

Buddy all I ever asked you to do is clarify that you actually know what generational slavery means, and all you've done is posture from a superior position without ever defining the term or even providing an example. It's obvious to anyone that you don't actually know what you're talking about, and that even if you could provide some kind of counter-example it'd take more than a cursory google search, because otherwise you would have produced one.

So, shut up dumbass.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Buddy all I ever asked you to do is clarify that you actually know what generational slavery means, and all you've done is posture from a superior position without ever defining the term or even providing an example. It's obvious to anyone that you don't actually know what you're talking about, and that even if you could provide some kind of counter-example it'd take more than a cursory google search, because otherwise you would have produced one.

So, shut up dumbass.

not that i'm looking to do your 11th grade homework for you, but a simple, early example would be the jews in egypt, unless you think that kids of slaves there got to leave when they felt like it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

not that i'm looking to do your 11th grade homework for you, but a simple, early example would be the jews in egypt, unless you think that kids of slaves there got to leave when they felt like it

There has never been any historical evidence that the Jews were a chattel race in Egypt.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There has never been any historical evidence that the Jews were a chattel race in Egypt.

I suspect you're going to say that about any historical situation where generational slavery occurred, so you can continue to convince yourself that american slavery was uniquely horrible. I guess you enjoy being that guy!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

I suspect you're going to say that about any historical situation where generational slavery occurred, so you can continue to convince yourself that american slavery was uniquely horrible. I guess you enjoy being that guy!

No, I just have a history degree is all.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

gobbagool posted:

Yes, all 300 million american citizens, dying of simple colds, wandering around with broken bones, with no way to have them set, it is surely terrible. oh wait, it's actually not like that at all, but goons gonna parrot howard zinn

I don't know what your obsession is with Howard Zinn, but what I do know is that my mom can't afford a procedure she needs and you should go gently caress yourself.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, I just have a history degree is all.

OK, so you're the expert. Explain why, without emotional pandering, what made slavery in north america worse than that in Africa, Asia, and Europe.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know what your obsession is with Howard Zinn, but what I do know is that my mom can't afford a procedure she needs and you should go gently caress yourself.

you're bad at reading

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

gobbagool posted:

you're bad at reading

I'm not the one who read "we aren't providing healthcare as a right" and took away "all 300 million US citizens are sick and injured"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

gobbagool posted:

OK, so you're the expert. Explain why, without emotional pandering, what made slavery in north america worse

Slavery in the Americas included relatively few rights which were often granted in other times and places, including the right to buy ones own freedom, accumulate wealth independently, emancipation for the children of slaves, the right to preserve the family or work ones own land. It was also characterized by high death rates especially on sugar cane plantations.

Squalid has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Mar 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squalid posted:

Slavery in the Americas included relatively few rights which were often granted in other times and places, including the right to buy ones own freedom, accumulate wealth independently, emancipation for the children of slaves, the right to preserve the family or work ones own land. It was also characterized by high death rates especially on sugar cane plantations.

There's a key point here that gobbagool is gonna misread, but before that I'd also add that slaves in the United States were forbidden the right to even read or write as a reaction to slave revolts.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Squalid posted:

Of course, these generalizations prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that American slavery was uniquely terrible. Very helpful.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

gobbagool posted:

OK, so you're the expert. Explain why, without emotional pandering, what made slavery in north america worse than that in Africa, Asia, and Europe.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

History will find that it was this thread that led to the downfall of America.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

gobbagool posted:

Of course, these generalizations prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that American slavery was uniquely terrible. Very helpful.

You're being willfully dense. Nobody besides you has used the word 'unique' so when you keep refuting this claim that American slavery was uniquely terrible it looks like you are arguing in bad faith.

Colonial slavery in the Americas lies somewhere on the terribleness spectrum between Ottoman Janissary and a NAZI Jewish labor camp. It's not the worst circumstance ever but it doesn't have much further to fall, and of course there is a lot of diversity within circumstances in the Americas as well.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 237 days!

gobbagool posted:

No, it's just that there's no evidence that the Jewish people were ever enslaved in Egypt. The historical accuracy of the Bible is a subject of study, and that is a part for which there is a notable absence of evidence.

I'd love to continue debating against your assumption that a vaguely recalled statement heard second hand is absurd, but a friend of a friend said doing that could give me aids :ohdear:

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Mar 20, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gobbagool posted:

you are a remarkably stupid person

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Was American 'generational' slavery worse than Spanish-style 'death camp' slavery? I've never thought hard about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Depends on if you think a short & brutish life is better than a lifetime of rape and/or domination.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lamebot posted:

For eight years you've been asking "Who is Paul Blart?" Well uhh if you went to movies you'd know he's a mall cop.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Depends on if you think a short & brutish life is better than a lifetime of rape and/or domination.

No other slaves except those in America had a lifetime of rape and/or domination, so I guess you must be right about this whole thing. I should know better than to argue with anime marxists on the internet!

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

babypolis posted:

you are a remarkably stupid person

and you're angry at your dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

No other slaves except those in America had a lifetime of rape and/or domination, so I guess you must be right about this whole thing. I should know better than to argue with anime marxists on the internet!

Maybe if we were talking about slavery in general as opposed to two specific systems you may have said something relevant. You wouldn't have had a point because you're too loving stupid, but it would've been topical.

• Locked thread