Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

And another one for the road:

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/951214867771424775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Aliexpress is a treasure trove of nice clothes with these off-center asymmetric designs that look awesome on the models.
I loved that skirt too.

The other thing I loved was Night in the Woods, which was a fantastic story to play through, so more fanart obvs.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

This made me laugh.

Tried adding a protectorant (laquer) over the mural and it ended up smearing the linework on the tanks behind the ox. Why would laquer melt ink? WTF? Sooo much repainting I have to do... ugh.
oh gosh I am sorry :gonk:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Spinster posted:

Messing around with Android Note with a picture I drew. ( is this ok to be here and not in digital?)

Far Side? :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i just pretty much picked this thread b/c its the most active (and i feel like its all p much doodles)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Spinster posted:

Messing around with Android Note with a picture I drew. ( is this ok to be here and not in digital?)

Oh don't worry, the Digital Art thread is mainly for extreme weirdos :mrgw:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You can only post robot tiddies in the digital art thread :colbert:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Neon Noodle posted:

You can only post robot tiddies in the digital art thread :colbert:

Come on, the digital art thread has moved on and matured a lot since those times, and you're allowed to post a lot more than robotits now!

For example, robot asses and vulva mounds.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
First day with wacom tablet

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Come on, the digital art thread has moved on and matured a lot since those times, and you're allowed to post a lot more than robotits now!

For example, robot asses and vulva mounds.
god drat, the idea of mecha robots with huge metal tits and ultra-plump vaginas will never not be funny to me (if you're reading this, robo guy, sorry please come back!!)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sigma 6 posted:

This IS the daily drawing thread? Right? I mean... So... I don't care if it his girlfriend or the girl on the corner. If someone is drawing daily, no matter what the content is... that should be encouraged... uhhh... right?

That's a quality octopus.

This is probably the most involved drawing I've done recently and it made me realize how bad I am with backgrounds (well, even worse than everything else at least). Working on a different pic now where I'm trying to put more effort into doing a proper background.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Michael Jackson posted:

First day with wacom tablet

Money well spent!

Internet Kraken posted:

This is probably the most involved drawing I've done recently and it made me realize how bad I am with backgrounds (well, even worse than everything else at least). Working on a different pic now where I'm trying to put more effort into doing a proper background.

I love that little flying insect ball, it is freaking adorable. In fact, this is the cutest gang of insectoid horrors I've seen :3:
I wish I could help you with the backgrounds, but I'm one of those people who has nightmares where bad backgrounds haunt my existence until the day I die.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

been thinking about Daily Drawing: I'm really slow and anal retentive about drawing a lot of the time so I've started trying to make at least one fifteen-minute doodle a day. Let's see how quickly I give this up :sweatdrop:

(in chronological order starting from Wednesday)

e: looking at the third one tells me I really need to make more textured brushes for Photoshop, that one is way more eye catching. Well. In due time (so probably the end of this year haha)

e(2): and these are digital ones but I'll do some pen stuff too probably

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 12, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
been avin' a wazz on my graphics wazzer!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

oh gosh I am sorry :gonk:

I will never laquer over a mural again. Unless paid extra for it or it is part of the initial deal. Also - don't try out new tools or materials on a job!! A job is not the time to learn new mediums unless absolutely necessary. I just wanted to protect the charcoal, not destroy the inking.

Here is some content.

It's a doodle of some girls at a party. Not to sound defensive but if the people I draw might look half drunk / stoned. It might be true vs. sloppy drawing. On the other hand - I draw as fast as I can - so it could also be that the drawing sucks. Lately I have been spending only 5-10 minutes on portraits.

Internet Kraken: Thank you. I really wish I had painted it vs. using marker. Guess I can always paint over it.

a hole-y ghost: I am trying to be more consistent in 2018. If I can't be a great artist, I can be at least consistent... with the idea that I will get better (hopefully).

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 13, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

nice gender swapped south park concept art

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hah. That took a second to register you were talking to me.

Al! posted:

here's the final version

Really liked this. Creepy and cute at the same time.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

been thinking about Daily Drawing: I'm really slow and anal retentive about drawing a lot of the time so I've started trying to make at least one fifteen-minute doodle a day. Let's see how quickly I give this up :sweatdrop:

I dunno if I've mentioned this before, but to pick up speed, I played a lot of doodle or die. http://doodleordie.com/
For me it was a great way to get varying prompts, and since your artistic options are super limited, you just focus on conveying the essence of what you need in a picture as fast as possible.
I mean, you CAN still make insane efforts for throwaway stuff like "happy carrots" or "scary pumpkin" (and people do), but that sorta defeats the point of doodling.
I tried to make every picture fun, and tried to take offensive prompts as mental exercises in delivering what's asked and not what's intended.

It comes as a surprise to no-one that I'm still doing Night in the Woods fanart, this time Palecat from the Demon Tower minigame-within-the-game:

Also Selmers the poet, who delivers an incredible slam dunk of a poem in the game like :boom:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

a hole-y ghost: I am trying to be more consistent in 2018. If I can't be a great artist, I can be at least consistent... with the idea that I will get better (hopefully).
Sorry to play devils advocate (code word for jerk of course) but whyyy??? Consistency is just a boring inevitability of art that comes with doing it a lot imo

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I dunno if I've mentioned this before, but to pick up speed, I played a lot of doodle or die. http://doodleordie.com/
For me it was a great way to get varying prompts, and since your artistic options are super limited, you just focus on conveying the essence of what you need in a picture as fast as possible.
I mean, you CAN still make insane efforts for throwaway stuff like "happy carrots" or "scary pumpkin" (and people do), but that sorta defeats the point of doodling.
I tried to make every picture fun, and tried to take offensive prompts as mental exercises in delivering what's asked and not what's intended.
that reminds me, I used to play a LOT of Drawception, back before it devolved into a dumb perpetual circlejerk of the 10 or so top drawers' OCs. Stil lhaven't tried Doodle or Die. I'll give it a shot sometime :thumbsup:

Anyways. more 15min doodles. Hopefully I'm not spamming the thread too much by posting these
I made a new brush, which I am quite enjoying using.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 13, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4hQKHIL_8

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Right hand worm (?) Very effective.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Doges

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Working on art every day, first sketch of the year

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Some random doodley oodles.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

Sorry to play devils advocate (code word for jerk of course) but whyyy??? Consistency is just a boring inevitability of art that comes with doing it a lot imo

Sorry to disagree vehemently but ... "Consistency is just a boring inevitability of art that comes with doing it a lot"... is SO wrong.

Consistency is the artist's GREATEST skillset. Consistency is where skill is born. gently caress talent. There is no such thing and I am tired of people trying to defend the idea. Sportsball players aren't born with the their sportsballs. Musicians aren't born with their instruments. There is no such thing as talent vs. consistency and focus. If you are bored by your art, you are doing something wrong. If you are bored by somebody else's art then look at yet another person's art for inspiration. If you can't find inspiration / art from life - I can't help you.

Some days it is very hard to create anything at all. This thread and daily practice is a way to overcome malaise and hopefully get better over time. Having said that, art that I am happy with usually takes more than just a few minutes or hours to create.

3d doodle because I am trying to get better at the daily 3d thing too. Consistency is king.

Totally forgot about doodle or die... hmmm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 13, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

Anyways. more 15min doodles. Hopefully I'm not spamming the thread too much by posting these
I made a new brush, which I am quite enjoying using.

Never not be postin'. :justpost:
I like the .. uh, brushiness, of the brush here.
I am not good with words.

I eagerly await my death by a tornado of giant worms.

yes YES all the dogs YES clump them all together make it a ball. Then give me the ball. Yes.

sigma 6 posted:

gently caress talent. There is no such thing and I am tired of people trying to defend the idea. Sportsball players aren't born with their sportsballs. Musicians aren't born with their instruments. There is no such thing as talent vs. consistency and focus.

I'm going to 100% disagree with you on this. There absolutely is talent, or if you'd prefer: individual differences in ability. I mean, you don't even need to find a differently abled person to find someone who's abilities differ from yours. I have friends who hear "math" and their brains flip out and run away hiding, who will look at a job that requires hand-eye co-ordination and get it wrong every single time, year after year, but sit them with a bunch of strangers and they've made 5 friends and detected who's feeling a bit down within minutes, while I'm sitting in a corner flabbergasted. I've known people who can detect the slightest off-key-ness in a note and some who can't even tell their favourite singer has never hit a note in their life.
Yes, talent means squat if you don't put in the hours to refine it, but some people can pick up anything and be good at it in way less time than others, and some people seriously just can't learn certain things no matter how hard they try.
I know it's frustrating when you spend a lifetime learning something and people put it down to talent, and not the work, but they might be people who would not be able to do what you do even if they spent the time learning it.

I used to tell people who said they could never do what I do that they totally could if they put the time in. Took me time to realize that no, some people really could not. Most people can improve with effort, and we are lucky that we're in that group.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I do prefer the term natural ability. Talent makes it sound like some kind of magical thing. Natural ability can be inherited or developed but it isn't magic.

Unless you actually "disabled", you can generally develop a skillset. Talent is defined as "natural aptitude". I am going to stand by what I said about people not being "born into" their roles in life. Michael Jackson was not born with a microphone any more than Michael Jordan was born with a basketball. They were both born with some natural ability which they developed over time ...out of love for the craft.

10,000 hours of love people. At least.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

yes YES all the dogs YES clump them all together make it a ball. Then give me the ball. Yes.

that was always my favorite castlevania boss

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
To add one note to the innate talent/work comments: You also have to have the will and dedication to stick to one thing. Any artistic thing I can do reasonably well right away, and then improve exponentially for a bit, but instead of refining that skill into a truly high level I always move on to something else, some "new" aspect of craft because the thrill of learning/doing something new is such a RUSH.

It's a problem.(I have so much art stuff I may be found dead someday, suffocated by supplies.)

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

DOGBALL

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010
DOG BALLS. more spheres of dogs please

this is a cluster of excellence and wonder and happy

Al! posted:

that was always my favorite castlevania boss

is approaching the right number of dog but i think a few more could be squeezed in there dang please

on talent and consistency and whatever, not that its anywhere nearly as fascinating as the Dog Orb but I've always preferred the word passion to talent. I've felt like saying that "oh youre so incredibly talented" is diminishing to the work people put into their craft - be it singing or drawing or whatever, and is also sort of a closed door in the face of beginners. Like you might as well not keep going if you don't start out as a savant. I have an innate talent for spacial thinking - but it was passion that got me through the years and years of drawing animals with lemon heads and feet bigger than the entire body.

i prefer to compliment skill, and attribute passion over talent but that could be splitting hairs.

And i think consistency is something to be worked for and something that comes with time. Drawing a subject i'm weak at, getting it right was more luck than intention. It was work and time that got me to get it to look right every time.

Though not 10,000 hours. An interesting talk about 20 hours, instead of 10,000.

anyway some art. the ink thing is my gw2 charr done in place of the "justice" tarot card and i thought quite a bit too much about the changes to imagery or character but i dont think it would really matter to anyone but me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i fuckin love making tarot cards, and in fact have done a bunch 4 forums friendos

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
more dogs more dogs dog dog dog DOG DOG DOG

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

those cards are EXTREMELY :krad:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm going to 100% disagree with you on this. There absolutely is talent, or if you'd prefer: individual differences in ability. I mean, you don't even need to find a differently abled person to find someone who's abilities differ from yours. I have friends who hear "math" and their brains flip out and run away hiding, who will look at a job that requires hand-eye co-ordination and get it wrong every single time, year after year, but sit them with a bunch of strangers and they've made 5
I guess I'd agree—there are people that can improve and people that can't, and I think a lot of it is down to personality and behavior traits (this would exclude how fast each person improves in motor skills, since I don't really think that's part of personality)
The time spent trying to improve varies from person to person, but also the way that this amount of time is spent; for example, some people are better at evaluating their own work (and thus can see where they need to improve) and some people reallly struggle with it.

Spinster posted:

To add one note to the innate talent/work comments: You also have to have the will and dedication to stick to one thing. Any artistic thing I can do reasonably well right away, and then improve exponentially for a bit, but instead of refining that skill into a truly high level I always move on to something else, some "new" aspect of craft because the thrill of learning/doing something new is such a RUSH.

It's a problem.(I have so much art stuff I may be found dead someday, suffocated by supplies.)
This reminds me of what my Spanish teacher called the "pyramid effect," which applies to learning just about anything: the amount you have to learn to get better basically starts at the top of the pyramid and keeps growing and growing exponentially as you go on (in this case, she used it as an example of how it's relatively easy to get a very basic grasp of any language, but it gets harder and harder and harder as you go on, until at the end there are only very few people who really master a language).

sigma 6 posted:

Sorry to disagree vehemently but ... "Consistency is just a boring inevitability of art that comes with doing it a lot"... is SO wrong.

Consistency is the artist's GREATEST skillset. Consistency is where skill is born. gently caress talent. There is no such thing and I am tired of people trying to defend the idea. Sportsball players aren't born with the their sportsballs. Musicians aren't born with their instruments. There is no such thing as talent vs. consistency and focus. If you are bored by your art, you are doing something wrong. If you are bored by somebody else's art then look at yet another person's art for inspiration. If you can't find inspiration / art from life - I can't help you.

Some days it is very hard to create anything at all. This thread and daily practice is a way to overcome malaise and hopefully get better over time. Having said that, art that I am happy with usually takes more than just a few minutes or hours to create.
Hmm. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I was talking about consistency in style, which I would insist is definitely an inevitability in art if you keep doing it (see every syndicated comic strip artist ever), but as I understand it, you're talking about consistency in practice regularity/time investment?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Today I made my first digital drawing! Some ramen, part of a series of happy dancing street foods for a small mural. I was given a hand-me-down Intuos and I never thought I would get the hang of drawing indirectly, but it isn't that bad and it's really nice to not have to wash brushes! Obviously needs some work, but it was a fun start.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Today I made my first digital drawing! Some ramen, part of a series of happy dancing street foods for a small mural. I was given a hand-me-down Intuos and I never thought I would get the hang of drawing indirectly, but it isn't that bad and it's really nice to not have to wash brushes! Obviously needs some work, but it was a fun start.

It's SUPER cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"Pencil Pushups". I wanna get back to discussion but I have a sci fi con to get back to. :)

Spinster: "You also have to have the will and dedication to stick to one thing."

Yes. More and more.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 14, 2018

• Locked thread