Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

more 15min doodles. Got a dip pen today (been wanting to try out dip pens for a while) so will be trying it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
DIP PEN
DIP PEN
DIP PEN

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

DIP PEN
DIP PEN
DIP PEN
god drat does this feel smooth and natural to draw with :swoon:

only thing is now I'm mad at myself for not getting one earlier

e: also I need to stop being a clumsy fucker and smearing ink :geno: hopefully I don't knock over the ink well

e2: and sorry for the blurry pics, drat pages wouldnt stay flat

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 14, 2018

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Fine liners and markers

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

im not taking any drink from this bird i didnt see him open

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Life drawing

Shouldn't there be a new thread for the new year

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Spinster posted:

It's SUPER cute.

Thank you! I finished the rest of the foods. I'd appreciate any critique always, but just excited to learn new tools.

Also animated the ramen today. :kimchi:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

a hole-y ghost posted:

those cards are EXTREMELY :krad:
I guess I'd agree—there are people that can improve and people that can't, and I think a lot of it is down to personality and behavior traits (this would exclude how fast each person improves in motor skills, since I don't really think that's part of personality)
The time spent trying to improve varies from person to person, but also the way that this amount of time is spent; for example, some people are better at evaluating their own work (and thus can see where they need to improve) and some people reallly struggle with it.
This reminds me of what my Spanish teacher called the "pyramid effect," which applies to learning just about anything: the amount you have to learn to get better basically starts at the top of the pyramid and keeps growing and growing exponentially as you go on (in this case, she used it as an example of how it's relatively easy to get a very basic grasp of any language, but it gets harder and harder and harder as you go on, until at the end there are only very few people who really master a language).
Hmm. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I was talking about consistency in style, which I would insist is definitely an inevitability in art if you keep doing it (see every syndicated comic strip artist ever), but as I understand it, you're talking about consistency in practice regularity/time investment?

You are correct. I wasn't talking about consistency in style but rather consistency in general. As in - PRACTICE. It is interesting to me that you are referring to style.... since that is something I think only really develops with enough practice / consistency. As in... artists are recognizable by their idioscyncracies / style after enough time. I am not sure that is a bad thing. Especially if you enjoy the style... ie. I really love Moebius.

However I also understand you mean it is a struggle to break out of a stylistic rut (?). I would say switch mediums if that is the case!

7 min portrait.

Radio du Cambodge: Are we still doing monthly threads? I kind of liked the themes.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 15, 2018

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

It is interesting to me that you are referring to style.... since that is something I think only really develops with enough practice / consistency. As in... artists are recognizable by their idioscyncracies / style after enough time.
Yep. All I meant was what you said here—settling into a recognizable style is inevitable as long as you keep doing art. Style consistency is the first thing I think of when I hear consistency in relation to art. Sorry for the crossed wires!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Particularly interesting because it can be both good and bad. Good because many beginning artists try to develop their style through practice. Bad because some stylistic choices may become bad habits which are hard to break out of. A stylistic rut in other words.

Also - though somewhat unrelated... I was in a marketing panel today where a writer said ideally one should publish a novel every two - three weeks. That way the writing consistency will propel the author. I don't know how feasible it is to write that fast but as a visual artist I think I can finish a piece to my liking in that time. That ox mural took 3 weeks TBH.

Sooo... start setting personal time limits on my work. If it takes more than 3 weeks to get something to sellable quality maybe it just isn't worth it (?)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 15, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

dogball mk 2

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Particularly interesting because it can be both good and bad. Good because many beginning artists try to develop their style through practice. Bad because some stylistic choices may become bad habits which are hard to break out of.
exactly, that's why I usually tell people not to actively try to develop a style since if you put it off you'll settle into something that's particularly appropriate/conducive to the way you work rather than something that might just be causing undue frustration

sigma 6 posted:

Sooo... start setting personal time limits on my work. If it takes more than 3 weeks to get something to sellable quality maybe it just isn't worth it (?)
it's tuff at first but you'll get a better and better idea of how long everything takes you and then be able to plan and charge for things based on a reasonable compromise between good hourly rate + good value for what the customer wants. and then add time because poo poo ALWAYS happens

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

exactly, that's why I usually tell people not to actively try to develop a style since if you put it off you'll settle into something that's particularly appropriate/conducive to the way you work rather than something that might just be causing undue frustration
it's tuff at first but you'll get a better and better idea of how long everything takes you and then be able to plan and charge for things based on a reasonable compromise between good hourly rate + good value for what the customer wants. and then add time because poo poo ALWAYS happens

Always felt that style should develop in the pursuit of realism but that's me. Rates and determining how much time something takes are two of my weakest skills.

20 min for a friend's pug.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 15, 2018

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Always felt that style should develop in the pursuit of realism but that's me. Rates and determining how much time something takes are two of my weakest skills.
yeah same here. personally I've mostly just gone to regular ongoing smaller illustration and graphic design stuff instead of bigger projects because even though I could prob be making more money, I don't like negotiating. just causes me too much stress. and yeah, I guess that's sort of what I mean—style developing as an abstraction based on a distillation of how you, personally, perceive reality

Anyways here are some more of those 15min digital drawings so I'm not only yapping in the drawings thread without posting stuff.

I should probably do some more body focused practice things bec ause I am bad/slow at that and keep just going to the hands and faces

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

This one is really great. I would abstract the figure even more into the background. The hand really pops even as it is.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good book on graphic design or design principles? I have a few great anatomy books but nothing on design principles.

Content:

Inked a sketch that a married couple made in my sketchbook. Liked it enough to make it a collab.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 15, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Self portrait

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how i imagine cranberries are harvested from a cranberry bog (by a cranberry witch)

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Androids are pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/953040998040522752

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

dogball mk 2

Approaching Dog Singularity, adjusting...

sigma 6 posted:

20 min for a friend's pug.

Singularity achieved. DOG complete.

BTW I would not feel like my toes were being stepped on if someone else decided to do a Daily Drawings thread, monthly or just this year.
I probably will eventually get around to doing another thread if no-one else can be arsed, either.
:effort:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good book on graphic design or design principles? I have a few great anatomy books but nothing on design principles.
I don't know too many but for composition in particular I like Henry Rankin Poore's Composition in Art.

oh and thanks :sun:

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I don't get lips

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

if I ever find a time machine I'm gonna find and kidnap you and then send you back in time to the 90s to make adventure games. sorry but it would be too rad

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

I don't know too many but for composition in particular I like Henry Rankin Poore's Composition in Art.

oh and thanks :sun:

This looks cool but I guess I was thinking along the lines of graphic design principles. Dynamic graphic design vs. illustration.

Al!: Your stuff reminds me of *so* many games I used to play. Notably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMf_bEfqIc

Neon Noodle posted:

DIP PEN
DIP PEN
DIP PEN

https://boingboing.net/2018/01/16/glass-pens-and-glowing-ink-mak.html

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 16, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

20 min portrait with mechanical pencil.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 16, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

if I ever find a time machine I'm gonna find and kidnap you and then send you back in time to the 90s to make adventure games. sorry but it would be too rad

uhhhhhh please do

i definately get the another world/out of this world comparison alot which i take as a big compliment

Arbor
Jun 9, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

Self portrait

looking at this just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and content inside

i dont know anything about anything about anything (about anything) with storyboards or animatics or whatever, but I thought maybe it would be fun to try and learn via osmosis, and watch some scenes and try and draw them out? I started with the other fathers song from coraline

belatedly occurs to me to wonder if this is too sketchy for the sketch thread but my desire for any knowledge dropping or the chance on being told what to do better next time outweighs the internet forum anxiety

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont really do animation that requires a storyboard but my stepdad worked 4 will vintons for a bit and the storyboards they did had a space for notes under or by each frame, helpful to keep you organized and super helpful if youre working with/for anyone

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al! posted:

i dont really do animation that requires a storyboard but my stepdad worked 4 will vintons for a bit
whoa can you elaborate :stare:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

tvgm2 posted:

I don't get lips

Lips are for the WEAK. I love the colours here!

I made a Lynxman.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

whoa can you elaborate :stare:

there isn't really a lot to say there, it was kind of towards the tail end of the studio when they were working on that eddie murphy stop motion show, the PJs. he did some character palette design stuff and some scene painting. i dont have a lot of stories about that except through meeting his coworkers i've realized that animators are probably the biggest group of weirdos out there. one guy was like a tintin obsessive and i went over to his house and it was absolutely full of tintin memorobelia.

its funny, b/c my stepfather was an artist (a scene painter by trade) yet we never actually talk much about fine art stuff, but now that my craft is actually developing im realizing that i was way more influenced by his style and tastes than i thought.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

some more 15 min doodles.

tvgm2 posted:

I don't get lips

here, how 2 draw lipz

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I Labo Nintendo

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010