Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Old guy stock photos from the GBS "Show me something funny in deviant art thread" were my warm up today; x100 better than quickpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
ink stage of vector art. next up: scanning.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Learning how to use brush pens.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
It's a little rough going with the brush pens, probably because I do legit love working with ball point pens, but I might get a set with various sizes-I foresee them being good for finishing pencil sketches, and as a swooshier complement to felt tips I've been learning to use the past year.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

sharpest crayon posted:

Don't stop posting but I screamed internally when I read this.

I'm not insulted, but curious as to why?

I can qualify why I like ball point pen, beyond familiarity and comfort, and can equally understand why someone would prefer a brush pen-I've seen amazing work produced with them, that's why I'm experimenting with them now.

Anyway, (ball point pen 😈)doodles from watching tv and work respectively:

And fresh brush pen lines over an old pencil sketch:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Ha, the reason I like ballpoint seems to be the reason the previous two posts don't (and that's totally fine!)-I prefer building up the lines, and like the similarities to graphite (the other medium I tend to work in); I like that I can get different effects with different pressure, as well as the lack of line fidelity.

The etching comparison is apt, and not one I'd realized, but makes total sense.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I really like the stuff you've posted, Al!, out of curiosity, what program are you using?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Nice, I'll check it out; any other software recs for a total sprite art newbie?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Went to watch an open mic with my friends, got drunk and sketched for the first time in awhile. Been feeling a bit creatively dry; anxious for school to start up so I have more outside directed projects

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Omg, space shrew :3:

You reminded me that I got a great picture book about sea life last holiday, gonna go look at it!

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
That's a fine jelly fire.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
The blood coming out of the eyes is recognizable, but a little weird looking as solid lines-I think everything else reads okay

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Yeah, although I know what it's supposed to be the continuous line looks like a solid form instead of a stream-you could prob solve it by making it a flowing dashed line (pretty easy with tweens if you're doing it in flash)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Revisiting/repurposing and vectoring an old, hand drawn design.

"Otterboros"

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Had a spare 90 seconds at work just now; small iced decaf americano

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Work scribble

(e: forgot to timg)

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 23, 2017

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I don't like how pixel-y everything ends up looking photoshop, but I'm at least forcing myself to practice with it and my new tablet, seeing how much of my traditional art habits I can transition to a digital workflow.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Oh no, that pin cushion has the plague! :ohdear:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Drawing on trains and transit: short sketchy strokes, get the basic forms, fill in detail in a calmer environment.

Like the park:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

working on a project for a friend

I love this

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Al!, please tell me your making an old school point and click, because I'd play the poo poo out of it.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

gmc9987 posted:

I love it.

Seconded :3:

E: content

Sketching before work:

Finally finished one of a set of holiday cards:

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 15, 2017

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Jellyfish and ice cream and squid and rocket ship and PIIIIIIIIIIIIINKKKKKKKK:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Illustrator sketches for the vector God (school work)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

a hole-y ghost posted:

. Maybe make the left side of that tree more rough or irregular or varied somehow.

+ AI!:

Left side of the tree needs thin band of illumination (moon is a light source)-that would fix the framing/depth issue (keep in mind tree trunk is a cylinder and how two light sources would reflect off that).

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I drew eye capsules. I love eye capsules.

This is cute, even though the concept of eye capsules grosses me out if I think about it for too long.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Picked up an old project-beginning of a new part of it (game show host)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
For once I don't feel like primal screaming while using photoshop. Progress!

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

PortalFreak posted:

What brushes are you using my man?

Basic round brush with softness, opacity and flow all the way down; original image was scanned, so line work was ball point pen. Photoshop's "multiply" feature handily is recreating my gimp process of layering the line work to improve contrast. Dress is a velvet texture swatch.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

sigma 6 posted:

Inktober from yesterday. Now with more coffee.

Coffee painting always looks good

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Contestant #3 colored

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Also, AI! prompted me to learn about photoshop's animation capabilities:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

:tipshat:

i actually use a program called aseprite, its way way way easier to use for the kind of stuff I like doing than Photoshop. every once in a while i will mess around with photoshop and i go running back to aseprite.

however, one day i wanna get into aftereffects, it sounds like thats where the real crazy poo poo happens

Same wrt to after effects; I'll check out aseprite, PS seems reasonable for throwing a quick gif together if you've already got the frames set up, but there's a definite lack of after the fact control. Most of my animation exp is with flash and some open source alts, but I'm looking for better options to just throw stuff together in a shorter time frame.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Highlights on the eyelids look a little too bright, but otherwise I prefer the second version.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Finished school project:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
At least personally I've never felt outside motivation to create; but as mentioned above, you can bolster your definitive skill set and thus confidence by taking classes with set learning goals, and doing other activities that have a clear path from start to an improved state.

Learning how to realistically critique your own work is also helpful-being in classes that require critiques can teach you this.

One of the most helpful things I ever figured out what how to determine when one of my pieces is "finished". It kept me from never doing anything with my work, which would have been fine if I hadn't vaguely wanted a career based on my creative skill set.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
It's hoodie season. Quick sketch:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Tenterhooks posted:

Some halloween things for my Instagram.

Nice

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

It looks like someone is reaching in from out of frame and adjusting his hat; I kind of love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Wrestled with HTML and CSS all day in school, got drunk and drew people in my phone for wind down this eve.

(Bad self portrait, bf, friend)

E: also broke out the paint markers for the first time in months:

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 7, 2017

• Locked thread