Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
folder
Oct 9, 2016
some gesture and cross contour studies!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

These are some really nice drawings. Excellent communication of the forms. :thumbsup:

Thank you! It was a bit of a different method for me, but definitely fun to do

folder
Oct 9, 2016
I can't remember if I posted this......

folder
Oct 9, 2016
motion studies...

and life drawing!

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

These are terrific.

:agreed:

The second is especially nice, very confident contours

folder
Oct 9, 2016
life drawing for the first time in ages!!

pen

conte

folder
Oct 9, 2016

this is by far the best thing you have posted in the thread. the biggest/most obvious criticism i have of your landscapes is that they are pretty flat and the elements vary from extremely basic to overly detailed/complicated. i think you will improve if you're much more strict with your palette - especially by paying close attention to change and variations in values - and keep it simple. the reason this piece works is because there are very obvious, clear, solid objects with form and depth. is it from a photograph?

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

I have returned to this Hell Site. Here are some arts:

:eyepop:

what do you use for these (the last 4?)

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

They're all iPad Pro/Procreate except for the black and white ink one, which is a Pentel Pocket Brush on rough paper.

they are absolutely gorgeous. welcome back

Al! posted:

thanks for the advice, and yes it came from a photograph. do you have any recommendations for some resources on working with colors? im basically just making it up as i go along and don't really know anything except the strict basics about color theory

well! there is of course THE tutorial which is a reliable, all-rounder starting resource - i'd recommend the "focus points" and "studies" sections in particular. but if you're familiar with that and feel like stretching out i'd recommend Color and Light, A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney.

frustratingly i can't remember the exact title of another helpful book just now but the best advice i got from it is to get into the habit of colour inventories. take a picture that you like or would like to emulate and identify its constituent colours and map their relative proportions like this. there are some good twitter/ig accounts that do this for movie stills like this which can give you some inspiration for your sci-fi stuff

e: the point of colour inventories is to just be mindful of how you can portray a sense of light harmoniously and economically. after a few you get a feel for how things go together and what combinations work etc. a nice exercise is to take the inventory of a piece and then make your own, following the same colours and proportions

folder fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 2, 2017

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Al! posted:

thank you for the reccomendations and again thank you for the frank advice, i didnt get any formal training and most of the people i show my artwork to just say its cool or they like it (which is a great ego boost dont get me wrong)

no worries dude. looking forward to your new stuff :hfive:

from last night:

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Neon Noodle posted:

Crosspost from trad thread, gouache and acrylic on illustration board:

beautiful!

folder
Oct 9, 2016
sumi ink for inkovember :downsgun:

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Some recent life drawings

really love these :nsa:

folder
Oct 9, 2016
v e r y s l o w w o r k d a y

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Spinster posted:

The Goone's deliver presents to their neighbors.

You should do the inside of the house :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Radio du Cambodge posted:

This is my ex-girlfriend's pussy

lmao

• Locked thread