Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Hello fellow goons. Haven't posted in a while. Looking to get back.
Here's some recent stuff.

I think these could use some extra work but after a while I'm just like "gently caress it, that's enough".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Everything by Neon Noodle is really cool and well made.
Nice work also, everyone. Really high quality works in the thread.

Here's a recent drawing of mine.

Didn't really go where I wanted but it's alright.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

Thanks man! :blush:

Are your recent posts done in colored pencil? If so WOW you got really good coverage.

It's a combination markers, colored pencils, watercolor, ink, airbrush and some crayons also in that last one.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Ho hum.
Two new stuff(Xpost from trad):
Watercolor is fun, it looks great and I love it now.

Not pleased with result but OK.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Drawing frogs looked like fun so I had to draw a frog, too.
She came out a bit .. judgemental.

"You done hosed it up"

haha awesome I love it.
"I'll have your money by tomorrow I swear, frogwina"

It is fun actually to draw cartoon anthropomorphic animals. Very relaxing.

Here's one from last night. I remembered I have this watercolor sketchbook and I figured I'd try to improve my watercolor technique.
As I draw I imagine myself to be like one of those victorian era ladies drawing kittens having tea.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Weird West undead hunter.
Doing more watercolor practice.
Watercolors are cool I should really just go over some basic techniques resources but too lazy somehow to make less work for myself. Did you know you can lift pigment while it's wet with some tissue and make highlights?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'm glad you found watercolors, this is really great stuff! Honestly with your style I'd have assumed you already knew how to use them.

Ha, thanks!
You know I thought about it and the way the medium lends itself to successive transparent layers really reminded me of how I work digitally.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I've decided that I need to do more better cute things and it might help my marketability.

Here's a kitty cat.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Cyberpunk Cats, ink on cartridge paper.
xpost from trad.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Nice work all around guys.
Here's some stuff from me(most also posted in the trad thread):

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Theokotos posted:

It looks like someone is reaching in from out of frame and adjusting his hat; I kind of love it.

I can see it. Maybe it's his mom, they meet randomly on the street and he's like "geez mom I'm a grown up alien pod-lobster person I can fix my own hat".

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I can defo imagine this dude and his manservant going around dissing a vampire's disheveled garden and their peasantry decor.

haha lmao that's cool I need to draw it.
"what is this coffin, mid 1890's?" [makes puking gesture]

The manservant can be like another supernatural creature maybe?

Your comics is very nice. I'll have to check out the comic thread then.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

dog nougat posted:

Haven't posted, or hell even drawn anything in a really long drat time. Been loving around with hands and doing weird shading exercises.

Really into this style of weird, almost blocky shading, a bit contour line-esque I dunno if there's a proper name for it tbh. Apparently my phone's camera has some weird lense aberration now too, but this is just sketchy sketchbook poo poo anyway.

I like!

Really wanna figure out how to get good coverage/blending with the colored pencils because I have a lot of them from way back in the day.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

dog nougat posted:

Those colors are on point. What kind of colored pencils are you using? Higher quality colored pencils will give better coverage and be a lot more layer-able than cheaper ones. I personally really like Caran D'ache's pencils. Really highly pigmented, with minimal binder. They also make a pigmentless blending stick that helps to make the colors pop a bit more as well as blending obviously. Their products aren't cheap, but in my experience they're pretty much the highest quality colored pencils around.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FXBPQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Eu0bAb2DSCN5Y

Fake edit: looks like there are other blenders out there as well, can't speak to how well they work since I've never used them.

Thanks. I see some people's work online with colored pencils and am regularly blown away.
I used Faber Castell Polychromos and then went over that with Caran D'ache Luminance. The medium is 100% cotton bristol which really takes the abuse of my heavy handed technique well.
I tried using isopropyl alcohol for blending on the first layers but it wasn't that great.
I also tried the stick which I have a couple pieces of but I'm not sure if it helped, did nothing or made it worse.
I think I need some special blending solution my main issue is that even with isopropyl the bristol starts getting wavy.
Maybe I should glue it to some backing?
Ideas and tips welcome.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

dog nougat posted:

I mean your coverage looks really good to me, but I'm looking at it on a tiny phone screen. It's possible that you've hit the limits of what you can do with the medium really. Paint has 100% coverage, but loses that loose feel of pencil. Not sure how well it'd really work, but have you thought about doing a simple underpainting in watercolor and them covering in pencil once it's dried? You still run the risk of paper curl and some general unevenness of your drawing surface.
Bristol has a tendency to do that when introduced to wet media, and really isn't ideal for wet. You can mitigate some curling issues by stretching your paper to a surface with watercolor tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c6OWKyYNKI

What weight paper are you using? Sounds like you need a slightly sturdier/paper. Arches and Fabriano both have some very nice hot-press watercolor papers which are a bit more robust with wet media, but still susceptible to paper curl to some degree. It's been a while since I've looked at papers, but I believe you can find them in a 300 lb weight. Barring that, there's always illustration board that'll basically take whatever you throw at it.

Oh I been using Strathmore 500 plate finish with a good weight to it. I was remarking that it withstood the rough handling very well. Maybe taping it up will do the trick.

I've been wanting to try out some hot press arches watercolor paper, that's defo one of the things to get someday. In the meantime I have a block of Strathmore 400 watercolor paper I can use. I'll try stretching it and see how it goes.

A couple more(on Kraft paper)

My phone-cam doesn't take such a good pic tho.

Gotta go fast

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

That gouache is tight. Any more technical know-how sources?
Gouache looks like a great tool but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Dog Nougat - I like the logo and concept but maybe there's too much space between the L and the apostrophe.

Meanwhile...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

That kekistani fighter is great but makes me :smith:.

Here are some good resources about gouache:

Books
Painting in Opaque Watercolor by Rudy de Reyna
Gouache for Illustration by Rob Howard

Videos (on Gumroad)
Gouache in the Wild by James Gurney
The Thomas Blackshear Illustration Masters Course

YouTube Channels
Jeff Watts (Watts Atelier)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3KjQ61zNI

Fine Art Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-aFzuyGCnc

Chris Hong Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE439M8SO-o

Victoria Maderna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SxIU4bUpg

If you can do watercolor, gouache is infinitely easier because you can remove it and rework it after it dries.

Here is a watercolor painting, I touched it up a bit in Procreate:

SWEET Thanks dude those look great!
Now I have to try some of those techniques!

• Locked thread