Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
people power and freedom cities

and ed ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

This is amazing, Duckie! Resistance Calendar is particularly nifty because I had a thought after a local protest nearly fizzled out about why there isn't better networking between orgs to pool people power between us.

I'll try to remember to go dig my sign out of my trunk in the morning. I'm also a one-hander! I always keep my umbrella on hand in case of either inclement weather or the couple of times that protests have gone sideways and I need a pepper spray shield.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Updating the op to add https://www.flippable.org which i missed for some reason. they are focusing on state elections to try to fix this little redistricting problem we have

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

also, today I'm going to an event called "hands around the mosque" where we'll all show our support for our local mosque and next week a group of us are going to a mostly immigrant neighborhood to hand out information flyers about what a person's rights are in case they're approached by ICE agents.

you don't have to stand in the rain with a sign to make things a little bit better

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
Yes! My friend and I attended a "hands around the mosque" event at the MCC EastBay (California) last month. It was actually raining, and it was a challenge to try to hold and umbrella while holding hands. I'm kidding, of course--it was fine to get a little wet. After rousing speeches by a Christian minister, a rabbi, the imam, and a high school kid, I was in tears. So many people came up to us to thank us for coming. The fact that we have to hold these rallies to support our fellow countrymen is ridiculous.

What the hell is wrong with our country?

Oh, they also served a delicious lunch afterwards!

I have taken my elementary-school aged kids to town hall meetings, too. Of course we are in the SF Bay Area, so we are in the "bubble." Our representatives are pretty much all democrats, and the meetings have all been great.

I am taking my kids to March for Science next month. Gotta do something...

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

punchbuggy posted:

Yes! My friend and I attended a "hands around the mosque" event at the MCC EastBay (California) last month. It was actually raining, and it was a challenge to try to hold and umbrella while holding hands. I'm kidding, of course--it was fine to get a little wet. After rousing speeches by a Christian minister, a rabbi, the imam, and a high school kid, I was in tears. So many people came up to us to thank us for coming. The fact that we have to hold these rallies to support our fellow countrymen is ridiculous.

I have taken my elementary-school aged kids to town hall meetings, too. Of course we are in the SF Bay Area, so we are in the "bubble." Our representatives are pretty much all democrats, and the meetings have all been great.

thank you for teaching those kids to grow up to be responsible adults. there really isn't anything more important

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

updated the op to include this http://www.peaceisloud.org/small-victories/ for when you need a little good news for a change

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hi duckie :glomp:

Thanks for this good thread, and esp for tellng me about 5calls it's v cool

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

cross posting from the effective leftism thread:

as with every other large scale political event, there are a lot of confounding variables here: many factors contributed to the win on ahca

but among them, however small its contribution, was an active and aggressive public presence

it's something that can create, and has created, momentum, and something to take a moment to appreciate and celebrate, before turning to the next fight

kudos to everyone who made calls, sent letters, got out into meetings or protests, or otherwise contributed

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I called my representative and recommended he support HB676, Medicare for all.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Annual Prophet posted:

cross posting from the effective leftism thread:

as with every other large scale political event, there are a lot of confounding variables here: many factors contributed to the win on ahca

but among them, however small its contribution, was an active and aggressive public presence

it's something that can create, and has created, momentum, and something to take a moment to appreciate and celebrate, before turning to the next fight

kudos to everyone who made calls, sent letters, got out into meetings or protests, or otherwise contributed

well said. we're being heard

i had been getting kind of burned out but i woke up this morning re energized and wrote 6 postcards and made 3 phone calls.

ScrubLeague posted:

I called my representative and recommended he support HB676, Medicare for all.

:hf:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

punchbuggy posted:

You might wanna check my thread on the Science March in TGRS because there are problems. However, if CSPAM would also like a Science March thread here I can accommodate.

Anyway, hi I've been busy:

A pic of my favorite sign from the Women's March on Washington.

At the Muslim Ban protest I met this awesome lady who told me she'd been protesting 37 years and wasn't about to stop. #lifegoals

Linda Sarsour speaking at Busboys and Poets on Valentine's Day.

Protest of Trump's Supreme Court nominee #stolenseat

The Disability Day of Mourning vigil on 3/1

Pic from the NoDAPL protest.

https://twitter.com/GreggBeratan/status/844611565324320769
Spot the goon.

https://twitter.com/GreggBeratan/status/844612477962915840
I was there.

https://twitter.com/GreggBeratan/status/844614124516642816
Dear GOP, please stop trying to kill us.

Gonna check out these SwingLeft house parties and other such you've listed FluffieDuckie because standing in the cold and rain is loving great.

PS, All of those disabled people got arrested and fined. #FreeSpeech

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
https://twitter.com/UmamiBomby/status/846560127809347584

Be like this dog.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dead?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Greek

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

I've been writing postcards all day today to voters in Georgia who have a special election coming up. Registered Democrats are getting handwritten cards to remind them to vote that day. If you're an introvert this is a great way to make an impact.

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice

eonwe posted:

fluffieduckie owns really hard

Fuck My Ass
Mar 24, 2010
College Slice
Sadly, I am forced to remain a-political in regards to my current profession.

However.

I think its really awesome goons are out doing stuff to try and better our nation and exercising their political freedoms and powers. More power to ya'll the 5 calls seems really cool.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

If you're talking about Hatch Act limitations on you can still get involved with 501(c)(4) organizations (like the DSA!) [source]

Ruzihm has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Apr 19, 2017

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

science march is this weekend https://www.marchforscience.com/

and the climate march is next weekend https://peoplesclimate.org/

get your signs ready!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

FluffieDuckie posted:

science march is this weekend https://www.marchforscience.com/

and the climate march is next weekend https://peoplesclimate.org/

get your signs ready!

This thread is very cool and good. We're going to have sunny warm weather in Michigan tomorrow, can we still hold signs if there's no rain? :ohdear:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've never been to a protest before, can I just mill around and be a warm body without a sign?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I've never been to a protest before, can I just mill around and be a warm body without a sign?

Yeah probably less than a third of ppl have an actual sign at a typical protest, a lot of it is just being a big crowd and shouting catchy slogans

Malah
May 18, 2015

There are usually periodic waves of people who dip out as they get tired/bored/run out of time/etc. If you don't arrive with a sign and regret this, it doesn't hurt to ask someone leaving if you can use their's.

Depending on the size of the event and whether there are people who can be bothered to care, there may also be dumping grounds for signs that new arrivals are free to loot.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

D.C. march turnout was great, the weather sucks but John Baptiste was awesome

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Albany, NY march was pretty good. 1000+ people, not as much as the Women's March, but still.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
was up in SF for the march

good times were had all around

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

whoa sorry i clicked post for the wrong thread you folks are dong good things, thanks all of you

Squizzle has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Squizzle posted:

dong good

same

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Hurry and call your reps and tell them that a vote for trumpcare is the end of their political career. Call tomorrow. We're running out of time

Also tomorrow are May Day marches. Dust off your signs and get out there.

So many issues so little time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo I actually made contact with a human being at senator Toomey's office. He's been notorious for basically leaving left his phone off the hook since inauguration.

I called my two senators, who are D and R, against the repeal of the rule against methane flaring on BLM land (thanks 5call). I know from working in research in the energy field that you have a better chance of convincing both sides to care about your issue if you change the way you talk about it. When I talk to a D it's all about the environment, when I talk to an R it's all about "energy independence." Whether this works on senators and their office staff idk but it helps in grant writing and talking to lower level government officials!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey folks if you work for a company that operates in more than one state chances are you'll get hosed hard by the healthcare bill today. You need to call your dudes. Mine's got the time-honored tradition of shutting the phones off anytime there's something controversial happening, but I'm smashing that redial button.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

anyone planning on standing in the rain over the healthcare situation?

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Ruzihm posted:

anyone planning on standing in the rain over the healthcare situation?

This coming weekend there's a protest at a congressman's office near me. I'm going to that one because my congresswoman is badass and voted correctly. I guess that makes me an outside agitator but believe me I'm agitated.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

FluffieDuckie posted:

This coming weekend there's a protest at a congressman's office near me. I'm going to that one because my congresswoman is badass and voted correctly. I guess that makes me an outside agitator but believe me I'm agitated.
and youre gonna be outside right

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
agitators gonna agitate

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

just get tto the part where everyone owns you and you get mad!

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Excellent sign holding opportunities this weekend and next (rain optional)

June 3: the march for truth https://www.marchfortruth.info/

June 11: the equality march http://www.equalitymarch2017.org/

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

some awful people are holding anti muslim demonstrations in cities around the country this month. if there's one in your town please consider attending the counter demonstration being planned nearby.

edit: i'm sorry for calling someone awful but jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I went to the local Equality/Pride March today, and marched in it for half the time - it was very empowering!

Unfortunately, I couldn't go to the local anti-Sharia counter demos; I have a hurt foot, and if things go sideways, I wouldn't be in a position to run. And unfortunately, at the end, a bunch of counterprotesters got into a brawl with some Proud Boys, the cops came in and pepper sprayed everyone, and three people were arrested. (This was in Seattle.) So I would have been screwed here.

• Locked thread