Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am rather excited to see what else you will be stealing capturing and what you can derive from it. I could do a wiki look up but that is not nearly as fun and doesn't have gifs...usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Seems like I got Wing and G backwards again. I was sure G came first, though...

Either way, I'm sure Wing had nobudget for one reason or another, I just apparently can't remember what that reason was. You'd think it would have to be related to toy sales, though.

EDIT: Since I'm sick I may as well do another update so watch this space. As it stands, Gaza-C is the winner for Kawaii Uguu's ride of choice.

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 9, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ace of Aces posted:

Either way, I'm sure Wing had nobudget for one reason or another, I just apparently can't remember what that reason was. You'd think it would have to be related to toy sales, though.

EDIT: Since I'm sick I may as well do another update so watch this space. As it stands, Gaza-C is the winner for Kawaii Uguu's ride of choice.

G was first in Japan, but Wing came out first in the US. Perfectly understandable confusion.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ace of Aces posted:

It is possible that with G and Wing coming out back to back they just weren't as popular so sunrise didn't have a whole lot of money to throw at the end of wing requiring the use of stock footage.

I feel this is can be seen in the popularity of one or two model kits from this series. The Wings and the Domo gundams.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
It doesn't help that G actually never hit television here - we got Wing on a pay TV channel in 2001-2002, and that was it until they started airing SEED as well. We did get all of Zoids that was dubbed, though (including all of Fuzors, which wasn't shown on American TV).

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
We actually got at least two-thirds of Zoids Fuzors back when Toonami transitioned to Saturday-only (ditto the first half of SEED), but that's a story for when one of us goes for the LP Curse Trigger that is attempting a Zoids Legacy LP.

Herr Tog posted:

I am rather excited to see what else you will be stealing capturing and what you can derive from it. I could do a wiki look up but that is not nearly as fun and doesn't have gifs...usually

Half the reason I'm doing a unit-by-unit Design catalog is because the English-language fan wiki for Overworld doesn't have one :ssh:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ace of Aces posted:

It doesn't help that G actually never hit television here - we got Wing on a pay TV channel in 2001-2002, and that was it until they started airing SEED as well. We did get all of Zoids that was dubbed, though (including all of Fuzors, which wasn't shown on American TV).

Wait wait wait. I totally watched G as a teen-something on my toonami and I think many goons have a cultural memory of G Gundam and windmill gundam/tequila gundam.

You, friend, are Canadian.

Andy Waltfeld posted:

We actually got at least two-thirds of Zoids Fuzors back when Toonami transitioned to Saturday-only (ditto the first half of SEED), but that's a story for when one of us goes for the LP Curse Trigger that is attempting a Zoids Legacy LP.

Half the reason I'm doing a unit-by-unit Design catalog is because the English-language fan wiki for Overworld doesn't have one :ssh:

And you, friend, are a fellow yank.

Also that makes so much sense now and thank you again~

I blame licensing laws and deals.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Herr Tog posted:

You, friend, are Canadian.

Australian, but might as well be Canadian since most of the dubbed anime we got was dubbed by Canadian agencies (Zoids, the Canadian dub of Cardcaptor Sakura that wasn't roboteched to make Li the main character, etc.). To give you an idea, our starting Toonami lineup was a two-hour block that went Dragonball, Wing, DBZ, Cardcaptors. Our starting Adult Swim block was InuYasha, Tenchi Muyo! (the original, good one), and YuYuHakusho. We got Orphen eventually though. Oh, and they had a LATE NIGHT! UNCUT! rerun of Toonami for some reason, which is strange because there were only two things cut from the American run of Wing: Quatre saying "Crap, there goes an Oz aircraft!" and Heero bleeding tomato juice all over the table he's strapped to when Duo comes to rescue him in episode 3.

And only the latter was cut from the Australian mid-afternoon run. I suppose maybe DB/Z had a lot of stuff censored like blood and stuff but in neither show could they really hide that people were getting beaten to death or exploded. Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac tried but it worked a little better in that since there was less detailing on it. Although I've heard tales from American viewers that nobody was allowed to say 'kill' or 'dead' or anything like that in Wing, which (much like Heero's obsession with self-detonation) I've always chalked up to people misremembering things from their childhood, since they were pretty clear about it in the dub I watched... :iiam:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What a world of difference. I do believe there were mostly mentions of destroying people and people being destroyed. But kid memories. I am sad that you did not get G Gundam, I am not sure what would offend the Australian listener but if it wasn't popular a Canadian dub could of also fallen through.

Have you watched it since?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Nevermind this.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 10, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So, say someone wanted to go through as much of Gundam stuff as possible, sans books/manga, should one go by their release date or the Gundam chronological order?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, say someone wanted to go through as much of Gundam stuff as possible, sans books/manga, should one go by their release date or the Gundam chronological order?

Release date will probably give you the most coherent picture unless you feel like watching a million One Year War OVAs before anything else.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

tempted to post a 4chan image guide but I would recommend the actual gundam thread for this

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Herr Tog posted:

tempted to post a 4chan image guide but I would recommend the actual gundam thread for this

Think I found the right thread, I'll just watch it in the order they listed (release date)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As a note, if you really want to :spergin: about upgrades, I believe that higher level MS/chars will actually start getting more stat points (2, then 3 after a certain point) once you level them sufficiently. Doing this is obnoxious and grindy if you arn't using cheats so I don't recommend it.

I think that newly developed MS also inherit some stats from high level base units, but again, not positive on that. It's been a while.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
No such beast as stat point inheritances, but Level 7-10 (depending on how far out you go from an MS's highest-level Develop possibility, typically at least three) seems to be the breakpoint for where you start getting 6 upgrade points per level instead of 3.

The save I'm using for the tech spec updates includes an F91 that's juiced thanks to this simply because it'd shot past the Harrison Martin dev quota and I didn't want to throw away the EXP.

G-Genesis feels like it throws you against the "deep upgrading starts costing more" curve faster, but every MS level there throws you two stat points' worth of growth in every category before giving you one point's worth of pips to invest (eventually adjusted for distance from best Develop possibility). The Unit stats being decompressed (base values in Overworld x 10 = roughly the same base value in Genesis, with roughly the same performance with a green pilot) makes it more of an inconsequential extra edge than anything - you can still do things such as pump ATK for consistent hard damage or pump MOB to become an evasion/crit machine, the payoff just comes a bit slower.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Herr Tog posted:

Have you watched it since?

I actually got most interested in it after finding out that it was written by the guy who wrote Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, so I watched it then and was not disappointed. G-Gundam is easily one of the best Gundam series, not least because it manages to show, much better than most other Gundam series, the earth/space disparity, with a cute twist on the formula (spess oppressing Earth, rather than the other way around), while still being incredibly campy and over-the-top.

NOW THEN

Mission A2: Gundamjack

I actually began this by having to use my own menuing post to get back to where I was because I forgot to save after doing all of that. :negative:

So here's the Albion which promptly starts exploding.

: drat! How could this happen? Trace the firing point of those missiles!
: Captain! Report from the hangar! A Zeon operative has taken the GP02!
: Someone stole Unit 2!?

Gato's squad spawns in, riding some Dom Tropens and a Xamel.

: Good job, Commander! Admiral Delaz will be very pleased!
: Right... we have to retreat now!

: Hmph... the Feddies are sitting on the sidelines! I, Anavel Gato, have not waited 3 long years just to let you, the greedy, unprincipled fools that you are, stand in the way of our ideal!

The text I've transcribed here differs slightly from the actual text because Gato refers to himself using the archaic form "konno [name]", which is usually translated as "I, [name]", and this is not reflected in the translation at all. :eng101:

: Our dream of true freedom for all Spacenoids! We will sever the evil hold of the Earth with our sword of justice!
: Freedom? From what!?

Before this can get too deep into :words: Kou's bananaphone starts ringing.

: Ensign Uraki! This is Captain Synapse! Leave recovery of Unit 2 to the other MS and get back here!
: I'm already engaging him! I still have a chance to win!
: Hmph! He sure has guts... but the poor kid doesn't have the skills.

Now we get control. This map is basically horizontal, unlike the vertical A1, but... well, you'll see.

The uppermost of the two deployment points is where we start, for reasons that will become apparent as soon as we hit the first secret. Our objective here is slightly harder than it seems because Kou only has two more movement than Gato and Gato runs away.

Garrod goes out first so that he can set up a chance step opportunity by receiving cover fire from Carry Base. By the way, Doms don't suck; this was how much HP Garrod had left after the counter.

Phase Shift Armor :c00l: Unlike most defensive systems, Phase Shift Armor simply deducts 10 EN at the start of each turn, not each time it's used, and it cuts all physical damage in half. Half. Now then Kawaii Uguu, show me what you got!

:siren:Kawaii Uguu Debut View:siren:

Aw yeah. Oh yeah, custom BGM doesn't loop. Normally that won't matter but it's noticeable when you stop to upload things and write an LP.

Oh, and the next Dom Tropen did so much damage that it reduced her to Alert levels. :gonk:

This is as far as Kou can chase Gato, so he has to actually catch up. Also, the Albion starts off parked, so on its first turn it can only move one panel as it taxis and lifts off, which is a really cute idea that is literally never used again. Andy assures me you can actually lift it off to get its full range of movement which you could probably use to juggle Kou in and out of it like I did with Kira on A1 but oh well.

On the enemy phase, the Dom Tropen that tried to murder Kawaii Uguu (who is Gaily, which I didn't realise because he has no cut-ins or voiced dialogue) suicides on Abram and Claire. He had 7115 HP and their counter did 7118 damage.

: Im... impossible! *explodes*

So this is the catch for turn 2: Kou can only move this far, and he can't attack Gato with his beam rifle or we'll miss the secret, so we have to beat up this Xamel first. 'Conveniently', it's also the toughest enemy in this batch, with 13800 HP. Abram! Go! Do!

Yes this is a problem, my other units can't get far enough down to actually fire on it properly and I'm pretty sure it will kill Kawaii Uguu if she attacks it.

It didn't. :woop: Unfortunately that didn't do enough damage and if I shoot with the Albion it's gonna kill the Xamel so I don't think I'm going to nab Gato in two turns like I usually do. Speaking of the Albion it's really important that it moves as far East as possible during this first wave. Nothing of merit really happens on the enemy phase, so on my third turn, Kou catches up with Gato.

:siren:Click for GATOOOOOOOOOO!:siren:

Yeah, this happens if you attack Gato with Kou with the Beam Saber. There are a few other unique animations, although not as many as OVERWorld; you can check out this page and read down for a listing of combination attacks, special animations, and so on. Note that while I say "combination attacks" these aren't like SRW combination attacks; it's just a special animation (technically Love-Love Tenkyoken is an exception, as it only hits once, but the damage is the combined damage of the two attacks, not the combined power vs the enemy's defense).

And that hits the Break Trigger...

: Ensign Uraki! Who do you think you are!? You're an amateur!
: Amateur!?

Gato's ride shows up just East of him.
: The retrieval ship? Great!
: Commander! I just picked up MS readings and they're definitely enemies!
: Pursuers!? At this rate, they'll attack the Komusai while it's landing!

I remember when I was hopeful that 00 wouldn't be garbage. That hope lasted about 1/4 of the way through season 1.

: Proceeding to second phase now.
: drat you! The Komusai has been destroyed! Mark my words! I will destroy anyone who stands in the way of Zeon's resurrection!
Gato somehow teleports out despite the fact that his ride was just destroyed.
: Hey, wait! Gato!!

Then, west of the Albion's starting position, Prince Ali and his 4 thieves spawn in. This is why it's important to move the Albion - if you don't, it will probably die before you can get support to it.
: The Federation's new prototype and nuclear warhead were stolen by Zeon remnants! And by the Nightmare of Solomon, no less! This is going to start a war! And the scale will be unthinkable!
: Wh... what!?
: Now, which one should I cut to pieces? I've got a bonus riding on this!
: That voice... it... it can't be... it has to be... Ali Al-Sachez!?
: Hm? That Gundam...
: Ali Al-Sachez! Aren't you tired of fighting!?
: So, the pilot is from Krugis... I never thought that one of those brats would grow up to be a Gundam pilot!
: Krugis was... ruined! Why are you here!? Where is your God!? Answer me!
: I don't have to answer to you! So, shut up and give me that Gundam of yours, Krugis punk!

You'll notice that some of my translations are a bit different from the transpatch's again due to their too-homogenous tone of voice at points. By the way, the reason the thing with the nuke is a huge deal is because in UC Gundam there exists the Antarctic Treaty which bans the use of nuclear weapons. Even though both sides only really pay lip service to it, it would be huge if it leaked to the global populace that the Feds were making a specialized nuke-delivery system in the form of a Gundam.

This trigger is the first part of why this stage is such a pain. Prince Ali will gun for Setsuna given the opportunity, but if Setsuna engages Ali (even if Ali snipes at him from outside of his range) and doesn't defeat him in the same fight, no secrets for you!

This wave's secret is Sochie Helm, from Turn A, along with her Kapool, which is basically a SUPER Z'GOK. They're actually pretty decent units, and conveniently, she summons two more.

Claire engages and defeats the Xamel so that the B-Team can get back in position.

Her Leo levels! :toot: I put the points in ATK since the ground version of the Leo is seriously lacking in power; the space version has a more-powerful beam rifle. Kawaii Uguu and Abram team up to kill the last Dom Tropen, which means that after Carry Base moves to intercept the Secret units, the entire B-Team can get onboard it to refuel and repair.

They'll be able to launch again next turn; for now, it's the A-Team's turn. There's essentially no merit in fighting the secret units that will freeze down, so Mark spearheads a charge against Sochie.

Have I mentioned that the Phoenix Zero's megacannons do a lot of damage if they hit?

Ellis tries to finish up, but she comes up a little short...

... but she evades the Kapool's retaliation where it reveals that what is under its chest missiles is more missiles.

So Ranalow finishes up with a cherry-tap.

The unfortunate side effect of this is that now half the team can move, half the team can't, and all of them are out of position. Oh, and Ranalow's Tornado Gundam levelled so I buy Defense for it since that's his thing at the moment.

The reason Garrod moved up here was so that I could hopefully fight the Hellions one at a time. The Albion turns around and begins backing up, so that it's facing west but moving east, so that it can defend itself when Ali pounces on it. As for Setsuna, I start moving him across to try and reach Ali. The problem here is basically doing enough damage to Ali by the time Setsuna is in range.

Prince Ali's Agrissa Type-13 is a real monster of a Mobile Armor, although he foolishly insists on flying. In addition to its powerful standard attacks, its Plasma Field MAPW will drain 120 EN from all units in its (surprisingly wide) area of effect. See its Plasma Cannon attack? That icon is "Penetrating Ranged", and unlike Penetreating BEAM, a Penetrating Ranged weapon just ignores any and all defensive abilities that would apply. Using a shield will still reduce damage, but I-Fields, Phase Shift Armor, and so on are totally ignored. On top of that, its 30 ATK is very high for this point in the game, and it has a lot of HP.

Seriously, that was against a guest capital ship. If it was against one of my units that wasn't the Strike Gundam it probably would have killed them in one hit.

Speaking of things that tilt me on this map, the Hellions here are Ground-custom versions. They can't fly, but they have the extremely frustrating Defense Rod special ability (translated in animations as "Defense Slots" for some reason...), which works like a shield in that it reduces all incoming damage by 40%, but it also reduces physical ranged, shock/flame, and special ranged by a further 10%, so they're frustratingly tanky. The custom FLAGs that Graham and his Flag Fighters ride around in on A-6 are even worse, as they have anti-beam coating as well, and the two stack together.

Garrod isn't taking any of that poo poo. That said, I have him engage the next Hellion from the limit of his range, so that he doesn't stray too close to Prince Ali and get me a game over by getting blown up. By the way, Kou is at the very limit of how far East the map goes for now, because he's not too useful here but the next wave is a complete pain in the rear end. On the enemy phase, the Hellions all move North, but Ali thankfully has target lock on the Albion and isn't interested in anything else, so I move the Carry Base South on my turn and let the A-Team whittle him down.

Ow. This was from Ali's melee. Ranalow swings in as well and gets his HP halved for his trouble, but that reduces Ali to a fraction of his HP. I turn the Albion to face East again, having it move as far as it can to try and support Kou, while Setsuna finally gets an opportunity to move in on Ali... next turn.

The A-Team gets arranged like this, to give Ali incentive to use his MAPW instead of firing on Setsuna (who won't be able to shoot back from there).

Blessedly, it works, so while none of them have any EN anymore, Setsuna can now swing in and kill Ali.

:siren:Everybody is Gundam:siren:

: Tch... I let my bonus get away!

Ali teleports out, Ranalow levels up (gaining 2 Shooting and 1 Defense), Setsuna gets a chance step, and I trigger the next Break.

Notice how Kou is right there? Yeah if you're doing this blind you're going to have a bad time trying to trigger the OVER Impact because Usso is massively outgunned, but he has to defeat the enemy ace within a few turns.

: What should I do? Does it have an autopilot!? There should have been a manual of some kind.
*laugh track*
He flies around for a bit to try and get the hang of it, and some Jovian Lizards Jupiter dudes spawn in.

Seriously the worst Char. Also, I know Gundam has some pretty zany names but who the gently caress names their kid 'Chronicle'? Actually there's a pretty fair argument that Katejina is the Char of Victory but she doesn't wear a mask so.

: I'll aim for the cockpit next, boy!
He tries to blow Usso up again.
: H... how did it end up like this!? I'm going to be shot down! Not even this BESPA Mobile Suit can take this!
Usso flies around a bit more.
: It's moving around like crazy! I have to test my aim... with live ammo!
: I'll stop you! There's too much at stake!
: What about you? You're going to fight BESPA's Yellow Jacket!?
: What arrogance! This is Earth! Spacenoids should stay in space! BESPA should just stick to the colonies!
: You've no right to ruin Earth!
: I don't get it! You guys came to Earth from space! It's not like you have to stay here!

:words:

Anyway since this is 3-on-1 and Usso doesn't have a technological advantage if you don't already have someone in position (usually Kou) this is going to get really messy, since odds are you won't be able to join up with Usso and still be able to claim the OVER Impact.

For our secret, Best Girl Lucrezia Noin, from Gundam Wing, arrives in an Aries, and calls two more as backup. Technically, her unit (Noin's Aries) is actually a standard Aries, but because Noin is the pilot, it spontaneously mutates into her ace custom variation, which has 4 more ATK, 4 more DEF, and 2 more MOB, the equivalent of being 10 levels higher, which is pretty significant. Since everyone there got beaten up pretty badly (Garrod was getting rekt, the A-Team ran out of EN due to Ali, the B-Team was in the middle of repairing), I have everyone fall back to Carry Base to get their poo poo together while Setsuna moves in on the Hellions, who basically stand no chance against him. I can also pretty much leave him to fight Noin.

Meanwhile, on the East side, Kou and Usso move in on Chronicle.

You can't see it too well in the shot but bascially Chronicle's Zolo (which is also an ace custom, by the way) looks pretty cool but it's basically just as crappy the Shokew Usso is in. Actually, Usso has the advantage if you move into melee range, but both units suffer from being made of paper. Oh, and Chronicle missed his return shot on Kou. Usso moves to engage Chronicle...

: You can't stop me like that!
: BESPA shouldn't be on Earth at all!

Yeah... even their pre-battle dialogue isn't great, especially compared to GATOOOOOOOOOOO or the Ali/Setsuna throwdown. This is really why I loathe this stage; in addition to being annoying, the last break just has no oomph in it.

Oh, I missed it, but Usso sucks so on the enemy phase Chronicle's backup dancers managed to reduce him to Alert levels of HP. :rant: Fortunately, given the opportunity, Chronicle would rather halve Kou's HP than kill Usso.

On the secret phase, Noin manages to crit Setsuna for about half of his health (seriously), so on my turn, the B-Team blobs all over the last Hellion and into Noin's formation to set up on her. Oh, and the Gaza-C levels! It has high mobility in its plane form (i.e. the only form I am liable to use unless I'm looking for accuracy over power) so I give it more ATK. This will be a common theme. Garrod moves in to weaken Noin...

Good job there buddy. :shepface:

Uguu proves that she's better than Garrod by hitting Noin for a quarter of her HP, although she takes half in the process. Ouch. I have Setsuna try and hit Noin from point blank range as well with his GN Sword but he misses too. What is it with the second wave Secret units and dodging? First Mashmyre and now this poo poo.

On the East side since Usso is trying to loving die I have him run away to the West a bit to regenerate some HP. The result, on the enemy phase, comes down to a series of coinflip evasions I abuse save states to get through without having to redo the entire chapter get extremely lucky with. :cripes: On the secret phase Noin tries to murder Kawaii Uguu but Abram saves her with his Phase Shift Armor and Shield because I moved him into the Aile Strike.

Yes, those damage numbers have fully loaded.

Anyway, on my turn, since Garrod is right there now, I have him go ham on Noin with backup from Claire and Setsuna.

GET SOME. Jeez. Anyway, that means it's time to trigger OVER Impact, now that Garrod is right on top of Setsuna in Super Critical Tension. :getin:

Seriously, I hate this stage. At least the bad part is over now; OVER Impact is trivial compared to everything else.

: Gurh... to taste such humiliation...
He teleports out and we break the world again.

Oh, Setsuna, you haven't even realised you're already dead. :allears:

Usso, king of the earth, asserts his stake.

:siren:RIP in Piece Setsuna:siren:

: Gurh... I've concluded that I can no longer fight... I'm withdrawing!

The Gundam X levelled off this, and so did Claire, getting 2 points of Defense. Kawaii Uguu got her first level too! She gained 1 point of Reaction and 2 points of Command. At this point, several turns of nothing happening pass as all the units at the far east, and all my units at the west, try to move to engage one another, which takes a while.

:siren:Garrod getting things done:siren:
By the way, Resolution isn't actually in this game, so this is more custom BGM.

: Catastrophic hull damage!
: Looks like this is it! All hands, evacuate!

The Gundam X levelled up again so I put some points into ATK so it can kill things more easily and level up again. :black101: Also, because Garrod gets a chance step, I immediately get to use his Free Capture spell to grab every unit on the board, including the GP01. Now it's just a matter of cleaning up.

The A-Team moves up on Usso, who rattles this off. I'm sure this makes sense if you've seen Victory Gundam. Remember how Usso is made of paper? It works in your favor here. Timp moves in to finish it off...

Aw yiss. :clint:

: I don't want this... dying!? Here!?

For some reason even though he said that he retreats rather than exploding. Oh, and Timp got his first level!

:hellyeah:

When my turn rolls around again I feed Abram the last two kills to try and level up the Strike. Not only does it work but he gets covering fire from the Carry Base, giving them a huge chunk of experience. Since I'm trying to not get Abram and the Strike killed and his Defense isn't great, I raise the Strike's DEF instead. Because it carries a shield in Aile form it's actually very tanky (nobody uses Sword form).

:woop:

The OP we get is the same as the one from the first stage clear but it applies to the unit, not the pilot.

It's actually very tempting to me to do this; the Gundam Leopard is not a bad unit by any stretch of the imagination, it works in space, and most of its attacks benefit from Garrod's Junk Dealer skill, which the Gundam X (which I would have to gain another 3 levels to get to!) can't claim. What do you think?

Also, we're adding the GP01 to Team B, which means we need to scout a pilot for it. Here are some suggestions:

One-Year War Amuro Ray

OYW Amuro has solid stats all around, with tuning towards ranged, evasive combat. His White Devil skill increases his unit's Mobility and Attack by 5 (25 at max level) as long as that unit is a Gundam, which is the GP01 and everything it can turn into. Note, though, that he's available as a Master, things will go sideways if we try and buy OYW Amuro as a Master later on.

Gym Gingham

An offensive character with high stats everywhere except his Awakening. More importantly, his unique God of War skill increases his own Melee, Shooting, and Awaken stats by 5 (max 15), and his unit's Attack stat by 5 (max 15), which makes him absolutely devastating. He can take a lot of damage on defense but if everything is dead before it can shoot back who cares?

Trailblazer Graham Acre

Trailblazer Graham is focused on melee combat, but his stats are pretty balanced. More importantly, he has access to Breakthrough, a skill that's in the Level 40 tier of buyable skills; it completely ignores all enemy defensive abilities and causes all of his attacks to deal an extra 10% damage, which helps make up for the GP01's relatively low damage output.

Gai Murakumo or Elijah Kiel

Normally pilot of the Astray Blue Frame, Gai has perfectly balanced 28s for stats and access to Mercenary, which adds 1 to the maximum range of all attacks - so the GP01 goes from having a 1~1 beam saber and 2~4 beam rifle, to a 1~2 beam saber and a 2~5 beam rifle, which is a huge advantage. Elijah Kiel is also an option; his stats aren't as good, but he costs less than half of what Gai costs. Prince Ali also comes with Mercenary but he costs as much as OYW Amuro or Gym and Mercenary is good but it's not that good.

Yuu Kajima

The protagonist of Blue Destiny is perfectly balanced, albeit not a Newtype, but that's fine, because his signature skill, Blue Reaper, got a massive buff in this game from World. In World, it only effected special melee weapons. In OVERWorld, it increases the damage of any attack he performs against a character with Newtype or equivalent abilities (X-Rounder, Innovade/Innovator, Cyber/Artificial Newtype, Spatial Awareness, etc.) by 20%, or 40% at its max level. It goes without saying that almost all bosses have abilities like that, which makes Yuu a dedicated boss killer.

So, to sum up, tell me if I should evolve the Gundam X BASIC into the Gundam Leopard, and also which pilot I should scout to pilot the GP01. Next time, we'll do that menuing and then swear at A-3 for having sniper units on it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Save the basic for a proper Gundam X and Purchase Yuu, because he's You

Also, slight correction at the end of the OYW the Antarctic Treaty is succeeded by the Granada Accords, which do not forbid the use and production of Nuclear Weapons. This is essentially a case where the Delaz Fleet do not accept that the war is over and the rules of said war aren't applicable anymore.

In short they're massive loving hypocrites, which is obvious because it's Zeon.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Get the Leopard because that thing is my favorite Gundam X design and it's also available right now. The major issue is that Gundam Leopard Destroy is going to be very beam-laden, and you're right back to "doesn't work with Garrod's skills," but you should have more options available by then. I'm not sure how many high end Gundams use solid weapons, though. But that assumes you don't bench the goober.

Scout Gym Gyngham because he's a giant nerd and would dig a chance to drive one of the old school Gundams while kicking everyone's rear end with it. How come scouting Amuro now will cause problems with getting him as a Master later? Can you only get one iteration of a character or something?

Victory Gundam actually has its first three episodes out of chronological order: what was supposed to be the third episode was moved up to the first, and the first and second became the second and third, told via flashback. This was an order from above, because a Gundam show should have the Gundam in the first episode, or so the thought went.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are later evolutions of the Gundam X more compatible with Garrod's skills?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Gundam X and get the cheapest dude!

Also glad that you did see G and even more importantly get it :D

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Stick with the Gundam X line, the Satellite Cannon is a hilariously good weapon. :getin:

Recruit Gai Murakumo because his theme song is awesome :rock:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

MechaCrash posted:

How come scouting Amuro now will cause problems with getting him as a Master later? Can you only get one iteration of a character or something?

You can only have one iteration of a character. You could have OYW Amuro, Zeta Amuro, and CCA Amuro, but not two OYW Amuros. You can actually field a four-man team consisting of nothing but Char if you field OYW Char, Quattro, CCA Char, and Full Frontal!

SSNeoman posted:

No; they're even more covered in beams. They do dovetail well with Rider of the Blazing Mobile Suit but that's level 30 tech. Something about this game is that a character's default skills are usually isolated from their actual MS, unless the MS itself is a part of their legend (i.e. White Devil, Red Comet, Crimson Lightning). Garrod literally is a junk dealer before he ends up in the cockpit of the Gundam X ("Tifa! I believe in God!"), so it makes sense if you buy him directly, but getting him as a Master kind of doesn't work so well with his default skill. It's not a big deal, but this is a somewhat rare example of the character's skills and the development line coming together in a way where they actually matter beyond just "grab the thing that shoots more".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

:3:

But ah drat, you gotta make me choose between that list?

Well stick with the Gundam X and recruit... Gai. Astray was one of the few good parts of SEED and Gai's skill seems neat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Go with the Leopard, recruit Gym Gingham. He's an rear end, but drat if I don't love his name.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Gundam Leopard and Trailblazer Graham Acre

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Gundam X line
Amuro Ray, Accept no substitutes.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Hold out for the Gundam X. Pick up Amuro.

Going through the proper Gundam X evolution line is worth it for the Satellite Cannon, and the Twin Satellite Cannon is even more bullshit than that.

SSNeoman posted:

I'll offer a counterargument of "kinda." While it is true that the X line is pretty beam-happy, the Satellite Cannon/Twin Satellite Cannon (for the DX) is classed as a "Special Shooting" weapon and not a beam weapon. So you do get a discount on that and its melee attacks, but nothing else.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Gundam Leopard

For the GP01, there's only one choice, South Burning. If that's not an option, then save the money for a proper ship. A Magellan perhaps, or maybe a Gaw.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Stick with the Gundam X line, the Satellite Cannon is a hilariously good weapon. :getin:

Works for me

The Satellite Cannon is hilariously good, it saved my rear end so many times in World, why would you say no to that?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Gundam X line
and Yuu because bosses need killing, too.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ace of Aces posted:

You can only have one iteration of a character. You could have OYW Amuro, Zeta Amuro, and CCA Amuro, but not two OYW Amuros. You can actually field a four-man team consisting of nothing but Char if you field OYW Char, Quattro, CCA Char, and Full Frontal!

I'm familiar with the "one version of a character" thing, I'm just fuzzy on how the "recruit a master" thing works. I guess you're just given a free canonical ace with all their skills and a trial version of their signature unit, and if you scout them via the usual channels you can't get the free and awesome version later?

As for the "different iterations of a character" thing, I was disappointed that you can't get the Shining Hathaway version of Bright in G Generation Genesis, because I wanted to have a Mega Rider (which is a carrier for some reason) staffed entirely by Brights, with all the pilots being Purus (Original, Two, and Twelve) in Big Rangs. And yes, the scale is preserved: the Megarider is 1x2 tiles, Big Rangs are 3x4. And if you buy the Hangar upgrade, you can stuff three of them in there for maximum clown car.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Gundam Moargunz-- I mean Gundam Leopard and Gai

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gundam X line cause I wanna see this Satellite Cannon business.

Yuu had me at "boss killer"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 11, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Alacron posted:

This man has the right idea. This gets my vote too.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

As for the "different iterations of a character" thing, I was disappointed that you can't get the Shining Hathaway version of Bright in G Generation Genesis, because I wanted to have a Mega Rider (which is a carrier for some reason) staffed entirely by Brights, with all the pilots being Purus (Original, Two, and Twelve) in Big Rangs. And yes, the scale is preserved: the Megarider is 1x2 tiles, Big Rangs are 3x4. And if you buy the Hangar upgrade, you can stuff three of them in there for maximum clown car.

Are you one of those "run Warships without XOs" madmen? You only get four Brights in G-Genesis (0079, Zeta, CCA, Unicorn), so even with Hathaway's Flash "stick an 80s 'stache on 0079" Bright you'd be undermanned.

As for your second point, we can demonstrate that here with either the White Ark or Gorbi II. Don't even have to throw a Hangar Expansion on the latter, even.

Cut to Gundam Leopard, and use that Leopard to develop X. We can always buy a spare or two after doing so and devote it/them to Leopard Destroy/Airmaster sidegrading, or Exchange fodder.

Recruit Yuu NarukamiKajima, and his Newtype Wetware Waifu too. Marion Whelch is kind of, uhh, not balanced for no longer being a Collection completion reward. In World, she was awarded at the 70% mark and had absurdly good early stat growths as a result.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Dr. Snark posted:

I'll offer a counterargument of "kinda." While it is true that the X line is pretty beam-happy, the Satellite Cannon/Twin Satellite Cannon (for the DX) is classed as a "Special Shooting" weapon and not a beam weapon. So you do get a discount on that and its melee attacks, but nothing else.

It's actually Penetrating Ranged which is even better, but yeah I totally forgot that. Good call.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Going with this as my vote.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

StrifeHira posted:

Well stick with the Gundam X and recruit... Gai. Astray was one of the few good parts of SEED and Gai's skill seems neat.

Really? Gai over Gym? And you claim you're my friend.

Lets Save the Gundam X and recruit Gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Lynkericious posted:

Really? Gai over Gym? And you claim you're my friend.

Lets Save the Gundam X and recruit Gym.

Gym's cool. But Gai's ability sounds just so cheesy.

Besides, we need to wait and put Gym in something more appropriate. Like the God Gundam.

• Locked thread