Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Alacron posted:

Stick with the Gundam X line, the Satellite Cannon is a hilariously good weapon. :getin:

Recruit Gai Murakumo because his theme song is awesome :rock:

Most of what I know about Gundam X, Turn A, and SEED ASTRAY comes from Super Robot Wars.

So I'm putting my vote in for the mech with the laserbeam that makes Alpha Gaiden possible, and the mook sweeper with the best theme in W other than the Tekkaman stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Obligatory gundam video post:
IT'S A GUNDAM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

And speaking of gundam seed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLc1pkOz4jA

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2017

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Cathedral of Sprues A2: Gundamjack

In this episode: war crimes of the nuclear kind, but moreso of the Far-Off Development Tree kind.

RX-78GP01(Fb) Gundam GP01 "Zephyrantes" (Full Vernian)
A variable-use interceptor Mobile Suit created as part of the Earth Federation and Anaheim Electronics' "Gundam Development Project" in UC 0083, and the earliest Gundam we can acquire with A ratings in its dominant terrains (Gaza C and Tieren Space Type are faster still on the draw, among Actually Viable Player Units). Picking it up thanks to Over Impact may seem like a downer coming off getting Strike Gundam during A1, but don't knock its utility in teching up and down the Early-Middle Universal Century tree.

Pedigree: Core Fighter Lv8 -> Gundam Lv4
Develops Into: Gundam (Lv2), Gundam GP02 "Physalis" (Lv3), Gundam GP03S "Dendrobium Stamen" (Lv3), Gundam GP00 "Blossom" (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Rick Dias (+ Dom), Gundam Geminass 01 (+ Gundam Mk-II (AEUG)), Gundam Geminass 02 (+ Gundam Mk-II (Titans)), Gundam F90 (+ either 0 Gundam), Gundam F90 (A.D.S.) (+ Super Custom Zaku F2000), Psyco Gundam (+ Great Zeong), 2 Endgame Spoiler Mixes

RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis"
A bipedal strategic delivery system; one might say, a Metal Gear transferring motion from the nuclear engagement doctrine of pre-Mobile Suit warfare to the giant robot kabuki age brought about by Minovsky Particles fouling up all BVR combat that isn't initiated by Anime NEET Psykers. Though not technically illegal under the Antarctic Treaty, as it was binding with the Principality of Zeon and the clauses pertaining to nuclear weapons weren't re-enumerated in the Granada Treaty, which was binding on the Republic of Zeon, this is a Japanese production so the ethical objections suffice to proclaim that the Federation was Doing A Do by having it built. (Check out the designs in the Dengeki Hobby featurette "Solomon Express" for a look into a world where both sides had already thrown the Antarctic Treaty out the window after Jaburo and were partying like it's 1959 with nuclear delivery refits.)

Using the Physalis is rather tricky if you haven't got the Option Parts depth to either cut its EN consumption to acceptable levels or have it continually chug EN restoratives - on top of its prohibitive multi-lock fire cost, the base hit rate on the Atomic Bazooka is just over half that of a typical Beam Rifle. Your best use case, then, is to have your nuke guy hang back from the rest of the squad, bring home your front pointmen after they've lured the enemy into the usual counterattack routine, then light a 4-tile radius diamond on fire for 15k damage with the MAPW. For max Shenanigans, bring a Leader with Instructor and a nuke jockey with Diligent or Hard Work (depresses all pilot stats and increases EN costs in exchange for a max +60% increase in Unit/Pilot EXP and Score from kills).

Pedigree: Core Fighter Lv8 -> Gundam Lv4 -> Gundam GP01 "Zephyrantes" Lv3
Develops Into: Gundam GP01 "Zephyrantes" (Lv3), Gundam GP02A "Physalis" (Type-MLRS) (Lv3), Gundam GP03 "Dendrobium Stamen" (Lv3), Gundam GP00 "Blossom" (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Rick Dias (+ Dom), Gato's Gelgoog (+ Gelgoog), Gundam F90 (A.D.S.) (+ Super Custom Zaku F2000), Psyco Gundam (+ Great Zeong), 1 Endgame Spoiler Mix

MSC-07 Albion
The Johnny-Come-Lately of Pegasus-class warships (as opposed to Johnny-Come-Retconlies such as the Thoroughbred and Grey Phantom). Commissioned and brought into service after the One Year War, it nevertheless continues the White Base's legacy of testing new technologies for Mobile Suit deployment and support. Since Gundam 0083 is basically Space Top Gun, this means external launch decks on the forward hull tops and launch catapult elevators for improved badass sortie photography - and more importantly to prevent an entire hull's hangar from being fouled up by stray gunfire, as could have happened with White Base and her catapults operating from inside said hulls.

As a Warship for sale, it's one of the better contenders in the "Pegasus Aesthetic" category, if lacking the bells and whistles of Archangel and Dominion. Shame that it has to share a price range with Freeden II, ReH.O.M.E., and Lysithea.

MS-09F/trop Dom Tropen
The original MS-09 Dom was an Earth combat juggernaut, even if Zeon hadn't taken an extensive account of the rough environmental conditions it'd face. This further refinement boasting dustproof intakes and MMP-80 Machine Guns to cover the Dom's infamous Range 2 Blind Spot was rolled out too late in the One Year War to remedy the Principality's rapidly disintegrating foothold on Earth, but just in time for remnant fighters to snap up the surplus and basically turn Subsaharan Africa into the planetary Anti-Federation headquarters.

Pedigree: Zaku II Lv4 -> Gouf Lv3 -> Dom Lv3
Develops Into: Dom (Lv2), Rick Dom II (Lv3), Dwadge (Lv3), Dreissen (Lv5)
Design Possibilities: Efreet (+ any Gouf or GOUF Ignited)

YMS-16M Xamel
A late-war Zeon artillery brick with an unknown production run; I can't assume all that many since the Adzam and Apsalus were already competing on the "atmospheric-use Mobile Armor" front. Despite its superlative mobility for an Earth-only MS, it winds up falling in the same offensive trap as the Guntank: anything within range of its 680mm Cannon will typically be too far away to counterattack, and will thus Defend or Evade instead, depressing potential damage output.

Of particular note: Xamel got its Size bumped up to XL in G-Genesis. This is not the nerf you'd think it'd be, as the Minovsky Craft part was similarly nerfed to apply to XL and up units only...but provides S-ranks in both Space and Air. SPACE BRICK IS GO

Pedigree: Zaku I Lv2 -> Zaku I Sniper Type Lv4 -> Zaku Cannon Lv6
Develops Into: Magella Attack Tank (Lv2), Zaku Cannon (Lv2), Dom (Lv3), Hildolfr (Lv3)
Design Possibilities: GM Cannon (+ most GMs), Zaku Cannon (+ most Zakus), Gelgoog Cannon (+ most Gelgoogs), Daughtress Weapon (+ Daughtress/Daughtress Neo), Guncannon (+ Reborns Gundam)

Komusai II
An atmospheric landing and re-escape craft situated on the underside of a Musai's nosecone. This was the first of Gato's intended rides back into space with the GP02, but one of our fellow Gundams put paid to that. This is the first of about a dozen Warships in Overworld that aren't usable by the player; a proper stat page exists for it in the Gallery, only to denote that it has no weapons, superficial stats, and a MOV of 0 for its A-rank in Space.

AMX-104 Kapool
Originally brought into existence as Neo Zeon's AMX-109 Capule, it's one of the first (and somehow longest-lived) Mobile Suits unearthed and used by the Inglessa Militia alongside the White Doll. An aquatic MS with a Space ranking (even a B) is cause for awe, and it's no slouch for its weight class either.

Pedigree: Acguy Lv3 -> Gogg Lv3 -> Hy-Gogg Lv3 -> Capule Lv3
Develops Into: Gogg (Lv2), Capule (Lv3), Corin's Kapool (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Gogg (+ Dom), Zock (+ Geze), Zee Zulu (+ most Char's Neo Zeon/Sleeves MS), Ball (+ Haro/Psyco Haro)

GN-001 Gundam Exia
We needed a Beautiful Cinammon Roll for this update, and here it is. Optimized for close combat, high mobility, and punching through GN Fields in case Those Assholes At Fereshte try anything funny, the Exia is the perfect fit for an operative who cares more about results than self-preservation. Well, it's better for Setsuna's health than Wing Gundam was for Heero's, anyway.

Your typical instinct for optimizing Exia would be to throw on +Weapon Power Option Parts. They won't do you much good, as all of its ringers are either Special or Ultimate attacks and thus gain nothing from either category of Weapon Power booster (Physical or Beam). Stick to +Attack and +Melee fuzzy dice.

Pedigree: Tornado Gundam Lv3 -> Phoenix Zero Lv3 -> Phoenix Gundam Lv4 -> Gundam Exia (BASIC) Lv6
Develops Into: Gundam Exia Repair (Lv2), Gundam Avalanche Exia (Lv3), 00 Gundam (Lv4), GN Armor Type-E (Lv5)
Design Possibilities: Gundam Astraea Type F2 (+ Red units), Gundam Exia Repair (+ Leo-S or any Crossbone Gundam X-1/X-2), Gundam Sandrock (+ Nobel Gundam or any EXAM System unit), 00 Gundam (+ 0 Gundam), Sword Calamity (+ Calamity Gundam), GN Arms Type-E (+ G-Defensor/G-Falcon), GN Armor Type-E (+ GN Arms Type-E), Gundam F90 (A.D.S.) (+ Super Custom Zaku F2000), Psyco Gundam (+ Great Zeong), 2 Endgame Spoiler Mixes

AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type (PMC Color)
After-market AEU Hellions snapped up by the PMC Trust, a corporate military operating out of one of the AEU's minor states that just happens to employ "Prince" Ali al-Saachez. These guys have minor stat bumps vs. the Hellion proper, but don't offer much else outside of their Mobile Armor development potential.

Pedigree: AEU Hellion Lv2
Develops Into: AEU Hellion (Lv2), AEU Enact (Demo Color) (Lv4), Agrissa Type 13 (Lv8)
Design Possibilities: GM Ground Type (+ either Genoace), Saachez's AEU Enact (+ AEU Enact)

AEU-MA07013 Agrissa Type 13
A holdover Mobile Armor from the Solar Wars, refitted so that Ali al-Saachez can operate it from within the custom Enact plugged into its carapace. While this is probably not a permanent arrangement, the Agrissa sports neither the Purge nor Escape functions (or any Unit Abilities whatsoever, hence the lack of a second image). The Plasma Field MAPW deals damage to affected enemies' EN bars rather than dealing HP damage - for reasons unknown, Ali's AI during A2 will use it liberally against the Albion...after any PMC Hellions in range of it have already attacked it and depleted its EN through counter fire. Keep your fire supporters out of the edges of its cone of effect while steadily moving Exia in with Chance Steps if you want the Secret Trigger 2 for the stage.

Pedigree: AEU Hellion Lv2 -> AEU Hellion Ground Type (PMC Color) Lv8
Develops Into: AEU Hellion (Lv2), AEU Hellion Ground Type (PMC Color) (Lv2), AEU Enact (Demo Color) (Lv3), AEU Enact (Lv3)
Design Possibilities: Gundam Astraea Type F2 (+ Gundam Exia), Char's OYW Mobile Suits (+ Zaku II/Dom/Gelgoog/Z'Gok), Gunner ZAKU Warrior (+ ZAKU Warrior), Gells-Ghe (+ Strike Dagger), Adzam (+ Grand Zam, Grandeene, or Zamza-Zah), Val-Walo (+ Adzam), Muttowooo (+ Zakrello or Efreet Nacht), Defurse (+ Big Zam), Ridden's Zaku II High Mobility Type (+ Zaku II High Mobility Type)

ZMT-S12G Shokew
The Zanscare Empire's testbed for a next-generation all-theaters Mobile Suit; as they cemented their power base, they had used the Zoloat (space-only) and Zolo (Earth-only) as mainstays. Usso stole this unit during what should've been the first episode of Victory Gundam (it was pushed back to Episode 4 so Bandai could have the title machine front and center) by tearing Cronicle Asher out of the cockpit in revenge for snagging his para-glider on the machine while in hot pursuit of League Militaire forces. He then proceeded to use the stolen suit in several engagements in Woowig and Kassarelia before Cronicle finally managed to force him to eject and retrieve the Shokew chassis and combat data for future R&D.

For reference, Usso is roughly 13 years old and predates Garrod by three (real-world series production) years.

Pedigree: Tornado Gundam Lv3 -> Phoenix Zero Lv4 -> Victory Gundam (BASIC) Lv3
Develops Into: Zoloat (Lv2), Jabaco (Lv3), Memedorza (Lv4), Rig Shokew (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Recarl (+ G-Falcon, G-Defenser, or either GN Arms)

ZM-S08G Zolo
Zanscare's preliminary Earth-operations unit, which achieves considerable atmospheric mobility and low production costs with a combination of the Beam Rotor on the left gauntlet and backpack (enabling MS-mode flight by spinning multiple Beam Sabers to produce helicopter-style lift) and a torso/legs laser-connected fighter terminal transformation harkening all the way back to Neo Zeon's Bawoo.

This used to be one of the "elemental" grunts you could purchase in World to start developing Zanscare MS, but it's gotten a couple of buffs since then and later Secret Triggers are more generous with higher-end Zanscare units, so you kind of have to work to fill that particular bucket now. And it's icky work thanks to all the Earth-only suits that don't connect back to the good stuff.

Pedigree: Tornado Gundam Lv3 -> Phoenix Zero Lv4 -> Victory Gundam (BASIC) Lv3 -> Shokew Lv2 -> Zoloat Lv2
Develops Into: Tomliat (Lv3), Shokew (Lv3), Zoloat (Lv3), Godzorla (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Asshimar (+ Dom), Cronicle's Zolo (+ Char's Zaku II/Rick Dom/Z'Gok/Gelgoog), Gaplant (+ Galbaldy Beta), Baund Doc (+ any ZAFT quadruped), Recarl (+ G-Falcon, G-Defenser, or either GN Arms)

ZM-S08G Cronicle Asher's Zolo
At first I was simply gonna say "Worst Char gets Worst Char Custom" but then I noticed the extra attack its Mobile Armor form gets: launching the Bottom Terminal as a Special Shooting attack with the same range/accuracy as the non-Char Zaku II's Cracker Grenade. Then I decided "yeah, we can still say this is Worst Char Custom." Sure, Usso does the same thing with Victory Gundam's MA mode (exact same stat weapon power, EN cost, etc.), but Victory has the distinct advantage of being a Mobile Suit that players will want to continually develop.

Temporary Use Assignment: Zolo @ Cronicle Asher
Pedigree: Zolo x Char's Zaku II, Rick Dom, Z'Gok, or Gelgoog
Develops Into: Tomliat (Lv3), Shokew (Lv3), Zoloat (Lv3), Godzorla (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Asshimar (+ Dom), Gaplant (+ Galbaldy Beta), Baund Doc (+ any ZAFT quadruped), Recarl (+ G-Falcon, G-Defenser, or either GN Arms), Char's OYW Mobile Suits (+ Zaku II/Dom/Z'gok/Gelgoog), Gundam Astraea Type F2 (+ Gundam Exia), Gunner ZAKU Warrior (+ ZAKU Warrior)

OZ-07AMS Aries
An air superiority Mobile Suit developed to go wherever (in atmosphere) the Leo Ground Type couldn't. Sadly, "toe-to-toe with an Operation Meteor Gundam" is a little out of its reach too. The lack of Range 1 weaponry or real improvement in base stats may account for that.

Pedigree: Leo Lv2
Develops Into: Leo (Lv2), Leo (OZ Spec) (Lv3), Taurus (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Balient (+ any Daughtress), Noin's Aries (+ Zudah/DINN/GuAIZ/Brave/ReZEL (Commander Type))

OZ-07AMS Noin's Aries
Best Girl, Second-Worst Ace Custom. A 1/1/2 stat spread buff just isn't worth it. Moving on.

Temporary Use Assignment: Aries @ Lucrezia Noin
Pedigree: Aries x "Commander Type" MS available through Development (Zudah, DINN, GuAIZ, Brave, ReZEL "(Commander Type)" variants)
Develops Into: Leo (Lv2), Leo (OZ Spec) (Lv3), Taurus (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Balient (+ any Daughtress)

GT-9600 Gundam Leopard
A relic of the 7th Space War, this United Nations Earth bombardment Gundam is pretty much just an attempt to put the Heavyarms lightning in a bottle. It's plenty competent in its own right, though, packing a broadly Physical Ranged weapons loadout and being an immediate patch to the Gundam X BASIC's survivability issues. Showing this off is basically just revealing what we COULD have won (Gundam X is taking a 2:1 breakaway lead in the poll, and it'll probably end in its favor), but the stat pages for Develop possibilities can be previewed before pulling the trigger as long as you either have sufficient EXP to select the option in question, or have it on record in your Collection already (with "Profile" on its thumbnail).

The All Fire MAPW deals HP damage in a cone AoE similar to what we saw with Agrissa's Plasma Field. The only big difference is that Leopard's cone is only 1 tile wide at its narrowest point rather than 3 since it isn't an XL unit.

You'll note the Pedigree is a little slim for a supporting-character Gundam. This is because my math kept tweaking off when I was counting up the number of Master Select Only BASICs and forgot to count GX BASIC itself among them. Brief edit to the Chapter 00B installment forthcoming to rectify this.

Pedigree: Gundam X (BASIC) (Lv5) or Gundam X (Lv3)
Develops Into: G-Falcon (Lv2), Gundam Airmaster (Lv3), Gundam X (Lv3), Gundam Leopard Destroy (Lv4)
Design Possibilities: Gundam Heavyarms (+ Nu Gundam (Heavy Weapon System) or either GN Arms), GN Arms Type-D (+ G-Falcon/G-Defensor), Super Custom Zaku F2000 (+ Zaku II FZ), Gundam F90 (A.D.S.) (+ Super Custom Zaku F2000), Psyco Gundam (+ Great Zeong)

Vote Tallies so far posted:

Gundam Leopard: 6
Gundam X: 13

Amuro Ray (0079): 2
Gym Ghingham: 3
Graham Aker (Trailblazer): 1
Gai Murakumo: 7
Elijah Kiel: 1 (Herr Tog wanted "the cheapest" and he clocks in at 26600)
Yuu Kajima: 4
Other: 1 (South Burning)

Andy Waltfeld fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 14, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the wing love in this thread and game but man if F91 is not my jam.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
The next gameplay update should be right up your alley, then, if you mean the film.

Gundam F91 (the suit) is a bit of a ways off yet, barring Advantageous Exchange Shenanigans.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I figured I would start up and play along with the LP and then found out I had a save from when I played it untranslated.

I had around 80% unit completion by B-1 so I think I went crazy with the grind back then.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Core stages have a lot of units and are worth a crapton of money so you can really go ham on levelling there. Core 1 alone is great for farming cash.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I like how the vote tally caption makes me out to be the scumbag I am sometimes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ace of Aces posted:

Core stages have a lot of units and are worth a crapton of money so you can really go ham on levelling there. Core 1 alone is great for farming cash.

I just spent the past 3 days using Warship Grinding on B-1 to get to 97% unit completion and get most of my pilots into their 40's. I should probably start on doing the D's soon. I'm just trying to think of good suits for all my pilots.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

I like how the vote tally caption makes me out to be the scumbag I am sometimes.

I could turn it into a Gym or Yuu vote if that's the meaning of "cheapest" you were after, but it's not going to change the end result.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Andy Waltfeld posted:

I could turn it into a Gym or Yuu vote if that's the meaning of "cheapest" you were after, but it's not going to change the end result.

No you were right, I meant inexpensive :P

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Well, first of all, it looks like there'll be a loving riot if I don't recruit Gai, so I did that; the Gundam X is also remaining in its BASIC configuration for now until it levels up enough to become the standard GX. Actually, depending on what happens, we may find another use for it...

Mission A3: Those Who Call for War

If you've never seen SEED Destiny (half your luck), these guys are basically the druggies mkII, working for Earth, and they steal ZAFT's Gundams in the literal reverse of what happens in SEED. Sadly, the episodes covering this are actually the best part of SEED Destiny.

: Alright! Quantum Catalyst started! Power flow: good! Let's retreat!
Sting's sprite is very diagonal so I didn't get a good shot of it. :v: Anyway, they accelerate down to the south, and Shinn spawns at the hole.

: What does it mean...? There's no data about this unit!
: Then what is it? Aren't there only 3 new models?
: I don't know!
: What should we do? That's not part of the plan! Tch... damnit, Neo!
: But we can't ignore it! It's too dangerous!
: Hah! Are you gonna take its head as a souvenir? I gotta say, I like that idea!
: drat it! They stole Chaos, Gaia, and Abyss... how did this happen!? Do you guys seriously want another war!?
I've taken some liberties with the translation to better fit Shinn's actual line, which is "Mada sensou shitai wa yo!? Anatatachi wa!?". This transpatch is pretty good but it often really misses the character's voice. The actual translation for this is "Are you seriously planning to start another war!?", which misses the emotion in Shinn's voice and doesn't really convey the 'are you loving kidding me' way he's talking to them. (He also calls them "anatatachi" which is like the rudest way you can refer to a group of people short of being outright insulting but that's besides the point). :eng101:

The Minerva spawns in North of Shinn's position. Basically, it's like the Archangel but moreso, although it uses one bow-mounted Tannhauser in favor of the double setup on the Archangel (in part because of the Minerva having an actually sane design instead of the bizarre double-hull hydroplane thing the Archangel has going on).

Personally, I would have checked if the ship was airtight before I launched it into loving space.

: Shinn! You heard our orders! You understand, right!? That's our army's...
: I know that! But I don't know if I can do this! How did this happen, anyway!?
: This isn't the time for idle chatter! Stay focused! This is not a drill! Their retrieval force should be close to the mothership! Still, I wonder who those pilots are. This is a bold mission...

Talia is actually a legit captain, unlike Murrue, but unlike Murrue, she's about half as attractive and 1/4 as bouncy, which makes her by and large forgettable in the scheme of things. Also unlike Murrue she manages to commit suicide along with her husbando and surrogate son in an exploding space fortress, so there's that.

At this point an alarm goes off and the extremely swag Phantom Pain theme, "A Phantom Pain", begins playing. Good luck finding it on YouTube though! It only played twice in the show.

: Unknown vessel! Indigo 53, mark 22 Bravo! Distance 150!

I didn't notice it until I was doing the resizing on this but the angle for Meyrin's "shouting" sprite does not look good. She looks like she belongs in Akagi. Seriously you could kill someone with that nose. She could compete with Cleopatra.

: I see it! That's their mothership. Enter it into the database. We'll call it Bogey One. Ready anti-ship MS! We'll strike Bogey One now!

The Girty Lue uncloaks south of the psycho rangers, indicating its massive violation of the Treaty of Jachin Due by using a Mirage Colloid system to hide itself from sight. I actually really like the design of this ship; it's space-use only so it's basically a double-sided Archangel, using both its "top" and "bottom" surfaces to house MS.

I wonder who this mysterious masked man could be!? :iiam:

: Well, ZAFT does love to surprise us, don't they?
: Establishing contact. Did it work? If this drags on, we can't hold out.
: I know. I wouldn't have put them on this mission if I thought they'd fail. Now... let's begin. Things are finally getting interesting.
: Yes sir! Launch the Dagger squadron! Buy us more time!

Daggers are basically SEED's equivalent of GMs. Since Destiny is basically Zeta, these are more like Nemos.

: Sting! We're late!
: Is it time for the pick-up?
: The bus is leaving...
: I know that, damnit! Let's retreat!

Sting falls back to the Girty Lue, behind the Dagger screen.

: Stella! Lose them!
: I can sink it!
: Stop, Stella! Retreat!
: This guy won't defeat me!

Auru falls back as well, but not without a parting shot.

: Then you'll die. Neo says goodbye.

Unfortunately, Auru's assumption of the patriarchy oppresses Stella and triggers her.

: Huh!? ... die? Am I... going to die? No... I don't want to die! I'm scared! I... noooo!
: Auru! You...!
: I stopped Stella, didn't I? I had no choice!
: Shut up, idiot! You go too far! Tch!

To clarify, all of the psycho rangers have a trigger phrase. For some reason Stella's is being told that she's going to die, which is something you would expect to hear a lot over open comm in Gundam, and instead of doing anything useful, it makes her flip her poo poo and go into a berserk state, followed by PTSD-coma.

: drat! The mothership is escaping! I won't let you have it your way!

Jeez there are a lot of :words: at the start of this. I finally get to deploy though.

This break trigger can go gently caress itself. It's not astonishingly awful but Sting and Auru massively out-range Shinn and will shoot at him if he comes near, so you need to chance step to them and then defeat them in the same turn, and the psycho ranger Gundams all have VPS Armor which makes damaging them a pain in the rear end.

I was going to record this but my tool hosed up so you don't get a clip of Shinn losing half his health on return fire from Stella due to a critical hit. :suicide: I move the Minerva north instead of south because there's a break coming up that is awful if you don't already have stuff there and it will do for stuff. I move Carry Base as well and sortie Garrod to fire on the left-most Dagger L...

Garrod please. The rest of the squad in Carry Base stays there for now; I don't want to expose them to fire until I can start a murderball.

On the enemy phase...

By the way, it turns out halving the resolution of a .gif really brings the size down and I am loving moron.

: Gurh... I can't afford to lose here!

Garrod gets DPed by Daggers so on my turn I move him back to Carry Base and send out Abram to go forth and kill Daggers with Carry Base cover, the reason for which is quite simply that his squad is full of things that are better in space, and also because I want to conserve the A-Team for after the break.

You should know by now, Dagger L! Victory goes to the one with courage! :kamina:
Now I just have to weaken the other nearby one so Shinn can chance step off it, while also weakening Sting so that Shinn can oneshot him...

More like Leo BASED Type :smug:

... oh. :negative:

Abrams does a bit better against Sting bt he still gets nicked for 4k. Phase Shift Armor doesn't help very much against beams. I don't really know why the new gundams even have it since beam weapons appear to have become standard issue by the middle of CE73.

OK Gai, don't gently caress this up.

:siren:Video for great justice but mostly Gai's amazing theme song:siren:

Alright Shinn, don't gently caress this up.

:siren:More video of Shinn making sweet love to Stella's chest:siren:

Stella retreats, and Shinn enters super critical tension. :getin:

HI.

BYE.

Ok Shinn you can do this, he only has five and a half thousand HP.

: poo poo! This new model...!
: What the hell's wrong with you!? Quit screwing around!

Shinn I think you need to slow down.

Now look what you've done Shinn.

: Multiple heat sources detected! Closing fast!
: Missiles?
: No! It moves like a mobile suit, but... it's impossible! The leading unit's 3 times faster than the units behind it!

:suspense:

: Three... times!?
: What in the world is it!? Attacking us at a time like this...

:stare:

: But it has nothing to do with Laplace's Box, as far as we know.

The Unicorn appears literally one panel north of the Minerva. Your movement is blocked off from there largely to prevent you from putting a unit where Unicorn (or Full Frontal) would spawn. In this case it also means that I can completely bullshit what's coming next.

: The Red Comet...!? Are the guys who attacked this colony from the alleged Neo Zeon group?
: So, you really came, Unicorn! That unit's the key to Laplace's Box! Interesting...
: Gurh! I don't know what this box is, but it can't be worth sacrificing so many people for it!

Banana's not wrong about that. The mystical Laplace's Box in fact contains the original copy of the treaty that declared independence for Spacenoids, which might have been relevant before the One-Year War, but Unicorn takes place about thirty years later and at this point the contents of the box are no longer relevant or useful. Actually, they're more likely to spark another genocide war than anything else.

: The world must change if Spacenoids are to achieve independence! Would you help us by handing over the Unicorn?

You know, considering that they gave Banana Newtypejin Level 3 magic pixie dust bullshit and decided that Full Frontal was literally Char's spirit inhabiting a suitable body (nevermind that Frontal and Char don't have even remotely the same goals) it wouldn't have really been a stretch for the contents of Laplace's Box to be literally (or functionally) magical. It would have made the ending a lot better.

: Those ideals... a world like that would be terrible!

At least the designs are good. Speaking of which, the hilariously-named Full Frontal calls in some flunkies.

: Angelo? We'll face ZAFT's new ship. You handle the Phantom Pain. We'll seize the Unicorn before NT-D activates!
: Yes!

Angelo is 80% helmet by volume.

: Don't hold back. You can't beat the Gundam if you're scared!
: Yes! We, the elite guard, are honored to bear the risk!
: What!? Isn't this too much for an attack here? Grr... do you intend to turn this place into a battlefield!?

Bit late for that.

: Making a fool of me... that attitude won't help you now! Now... hurry up and show me what you can do, Gundam!

This one isn't so bad. The main issue is actually building up Banana's tension so that he can use the NT-X attack without getting fired on by Full Frontal in the meantime.

Kai appears south of the Girty Lue which makes him not much of a threat. He calls two other Guncannons with him, though, which is kind of nice.
Up north, Banana engages Angelo...

: I don't know about this war... but the world won't change if we don't fight!
: I won't allow such childish behavior to taint this battlefield!

Remember how the Unicorn has an I-Field? Yeah it does not care about ranged beam attacks, at all. It even gets a cute little cut-in when it activates. I take the opportunity and have the Minerva turn around and set up anti-beam depth charges as well, making its immediate vicinity a no-beams zone. At this point, the A-Team in Carry Base start heading northwards to join the Unicorn; they'll arrive fairly late, but late enough to make an impact and help Banana take out Full Frontal.

On the enemy phase, Kawaii Uguu nearly loving dies thanks to the Girty Lue getting in a lucky hit, but something else magical happens: the Girty Lue releases its units. This is the first stage we've had enemy capital ships on, properly; they often carry three or so enemy units and will deploy them if you begin moving too close for comfort. Shoot down the ship, and you can capture the enemy units.

Meanwhile, Angelo closes the gap with the Unicorn so that he can get past its I-Field.

How's that working out for you, buddy?

On my turn I send Garrod out to help pound the Girty Lue... big mistake; its return fire cuts him down to about 1500 HP, from full. It hits really hard. Gai manages a good roll on his damage and just barely takes out the Girty Lue after I've exhausted all my combat options down there... now I need to figure out how Garrod is going to survive.

: Colonel... we can't...!
: Tch... we got too greedy and lost what we had... let's withdraw! Lee!

The Girty Lue withdraws and the GP01 levels up! I'm putting the points in its ATK, since that's the stat its two forms don't prioritize. I was going to have Gai pick a fight with Kai but since the Guncannon's main guns are a hefty 4700 and I don't want to lose my GP01 I had him take a shot at Auru instead.

Ow. Auru's mech may be loving weird but it's solid on both offense and defense, which can't be said for Chaos or Gaia.

Then I remember that Banana has HP/EN+20% and cast it on Garrod to get him out of the danger zone. Speaking of Banana's area of the battlefield...

MAPWs in this game are so good. I've mentioned this before, but they never miss and always deal their power as damage, ignoring special abilities. This is part of why I moved the Minerva up here last time: I knew the enemies would move in like that, and it gave me an opportunity to pummel Full Frontal. Banana cleans up the two weakened Geara Zulus and attacks a third, getting him enough MP to enter NT-D. This is a good thing because now, even if Full Frontal moves and attacks him, Banana can return fire with NT-X and fulfill the secret trigger.

On the enemy phase, Auru attacks Gai with his... vulcans. So I support defend with Abrams, but Auru criticals, leading to...

The Secret units take shots at Garrod but between their naturally-low accuracy and the distance their main cannons have to be used at it's kind of... irrelevant. Now then, let's gently caress up Full Frontal!

:siren:Banana goes Totally Full Frontal:siren:

: Hmm... not bad! You managed to corner me!

He retreats...

... and the A-LAWS spawn in. By the way, the "Ahead" is so named because it stands "a head" taller than the GN-X. That aside it's actually a favorite 00 design of mine and that's saying something since 00 has FLAGs.

: So, that's ZAFT's new ship and MS. Warrant Officer Halvey, do you copy? This is your first battle. Just feel the flow for now.

: We're launching a surprise attack on the new Gundam! We can't ignore anything calling itself 'Gundam', no matter what it is!

: What!?

: That silhouette... and those GN particles!
: ... that's...

I should mention that the entire time this is happening since the Exia Repair appeared, the extremely amazing "00 Gundam" theme has been playing. Gundam 00 has a lot of flaws but the soundtrack is not one of them. Actually, you can say that for basically every Gundam series since about 1994.

: Gundam Exia!? Why did Celestial Being have to appear now!?
: I'll destroy... and only destroy! Just like you! I will exterminate you all!

THIS is the Break Trigger that sucks. The TerminExia may look amazing but it's not a great unit. It has passable stats, but it's largely outmatched by the ace-driven Aheads it's pitted against here.

Also this happens and she calls in two Jupiter Empire mooks, Ebirhu-Ses, just north of the Aheads. This only makes Setsuna's situation worse, of course.

But you know, if Setsuna is no longer on my side, it doesn't really matter how bad his situation is, does it?

:siren:ORE GA MIRAI WO KIRIHIRAKU:siren:

By the way, Setsuna is glowing because I used his Master skill to give him 130% damage for a turn, and he still barely killed Obama.

: Grr... looks like this is it! Retreat!

He falls back, but despite the general call, Louise and Andrei don't. By the way, Andrei is SERGEI SMIRNOV's son and is a total prick.

Oh, and that triggered the OVER Impact.

: If you want war so badly, I'll kill you!
: They'll escape pursuit at this rate! Stay sharp!
: I have to stop you guys!
: We didn't... wish for this to happen...!

At this point I did something extremely stupid and cleaned up Shinn, forgetting that he's the OVER Impact capture on this map. Fortunately I took a savestate from before taking out Obama in case Setsuna somehow failed to kill him off, but even so, that was incredibly dumb.

That being the case, Garrod brutalizes Kai, and then rounds on Auru.

Bye~

: It's already over!?

Then I have all my units very manfully run away to the Carry Base since they don't want to fight Shinn. On the enemy phase, all the enemy units that are left have to move down to engage the A-Team, although none of them get far enough to make any impact, while on the OVER phase, Banana engages MARK GILDER.

: The battlefield... I know all too well how frightening it is!

He hit with his Beam Magnum and did just under half Mark's health.

:rolldice:

: Don't gently caress with me! You...!

:toot:

On my turn Timp proves his worth by killing a Geara Zulu with a mech thirty years its senior. Now to take care of the Minerva... I thought it had Laminate Armor but apparently not.

I did originally record a gif for this but I forgot to downsize it before conversion and destroyed gooncam. :suicide:

Unfortunately I come up slightly short and it nearly kills Mark with its CIWS counter. :negative: Never underestimate how much damage battleships can do when they actually hit. The Carry Base is very underpowered in its weapons and it can lead to you seriously screwing up your damage calc for the enemy battleships. Fortunately, Timp saves the day.

: Critical damage! We're losing control!
: The enemy did their job well! The Minerva has to retreat!

This is the main problem with this stage. Banana is a great pilot in a great unit with amazingly powerful weapons, and if you let him start building up tension and he gets into NTD it's possible for him to sweep your entire team at this point in the game.

So, instead of engaging, I create a buffer zone with the A-Team so that they can defend one another and counter-attack on the enemy turn.

Fortunately, as we already know, Banana is an idiot, and moves into melee range, where he's less powerful and his I-Field doesn't work. :hurr: At that range he doesn't even do much damage to Ellis, even though she's basically made of paper (about a third of her HP). My turn comes around again and Mark leads his team in making a Banana Split.

: The Unicorn won't hold out... if this keeps up...

I move all my units up again, but I'm not engaging on my turn in order to avoid getting killed dead on the enemy turn. Rather, it's better to let the enemy attack first so that I can soak up their attack as I please. Louise comes in first; she actually has special dialogue for fighting Setsuna on this stage but I didn't get it because I was busy not having Setsuna getting destroyed by Jupiter units, and she loses 2/3 of her health on the counter anyway. I'll probably let Timp finish her. Sergei comes in second and nearly dies due to Tornado Gundam scattering mega chest beam thingies; the Jupiter guys move down, and Setsuna engages Mark and is shielded by Ranalow.

: I will... destroy! Of my own free will!

The attack does a mere 1580 damage - the TerminExia is really not a high-performance unit, as befits its status as a taped-together pile of prayers.

Finally, on my turn, Carry Base comes in range and Garrod leeroys out and pounds Louise with the entire A-Team supporting him for a massive overkill. How massive? It did one and a half times her maximum HP and I was so surprised I forgot to screenshot it. :suicide:

: I can't do anything... I... haven't done anything...

I was intending on having the B-Team come out by using Andrei as a stepping stone (all he's good for) but Abrams blew it and missed an 87% shot so it's up to Kawaii Uguu to save the day.

Atta girl.

Next Gai comes out and rolls on the Jupiter boss with Kawaii Uguu's support and magically manages to avoid her high-accuracy Tornado Gundam-style chest blaster because Gai is a boss. Then I do something I probably shouldn't and have Garrod melee her.

OW. It's all up to you now, Kawaii Uguu!

Oh Kawaii Uguu you are my favorite.

Look at that :smug:

So, on the enemy phase Garrod casts Free Capture, picking up every single capturable unit on the map, and then...

:siren:High Impact Robosexual Violence:siren:

The item we got is an Instant Repair Kit II which is just what it sounds like: consumable healing.

We also get Flit's waifu whom he killed, Yurin L'Ciel, from filling out the catalogue! Her stats aren't spectacular - 12 or lower (and most are in single digits), but her Reaction is an incredible 33 and her Awakening is 37 before applying her X-Rounder buffs. She's a pretty common choice for me to put in the helmsman slot in a second warship, since it won't take long to get enough Ace Points on her to buy up the helmsman-specific skills. In a pinch she can also be surprisingly useful in "psycho loli" Mobile Armors, unsurprisingly.

Design spoils. The ZAKU Warrior can transform into the Blaze ZAKU Warrior and I have no idea why you wouldn't do that since the Blaze has 2 more Mobility and an extra attack.

Timp upgrades into the Borjannon. :clint: Its HP is 500 points lower than the Zaku II Kai, but it has identical stats and a much better array of weapons.

Kawaii Uguu turns her Gaza into a Ga-Zown, which is basically like a Gaza but more. Much like the Gaza she was using, it will make up for its bad land terrain by transforming into an MA form which can fly just fine in atmosphere and has attacks that use Kawaii Uguu's superior Shooting stat.

Claire upgrades to the Leo (Oz Spec), which is essentially a Tiny Tallgeese. Its stats are overall better, but it also allows her to provide fire support from further away, which is something of a problem on team B (she and Gai are the longest shooters with a range of 5, unless Abram is using the Launcher Strike).

Borjannon + Guncannon = Zaku Cannon. I had a sick fetish for these in MSG Crossfire but that game is garbage so let's not talk about it.

On the character front, since there's no point in improving Garrod's Junk Dealer at the moment, I buy him Release (which adds 10 to Awakening and lets you buy the stat up) and dump some more points into Awakening so that he doesn't get smashed so hard by Newtypes. I buy up Mark's Team Work as well, so all units from the A-Team within his Group Area will get +2 to their mech stats except Movement; Gai gets Hot Blooded because it's an amazing skill, and I buy it for Kawaii Uguu as well.

So now, we have the Impulse Gundam.

Like the Strike Gundam, it has three PACKs - balanced/mobility, melee, and ranged combat, although it's much better-balanced than the Strike, keeping its beam rifle in its Sword form and having a variety of weapons in Blast form, as well as a Hissatsu attack on the Force Impulse form. So, bearing in mind that one wants to keep using the Tornado Gundams and the Phoenix Zero, as well as the Strike and GP01 we've already picked up, who gets to use the Impulse?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You referred to Auel as Auru though the whole update, as well as Louise as Halvey rather than Halevy once.

Does the Minerva always appear when Sword Impulse uses Excalibur or did it appear because it was part of the squad attacking?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

After the shitshow which was Cross Ange I don't think I can take that animation style seriously again.

Who are our options for the Impulse?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
In the future, I'd recommend splitting updates into two posts since there's a limit on how many emoticons you can use per post.

And man you really blitz through these stages. I'm more partial to playing it super safe and maximizing the amount of experience I can get for my units, usually for me these timed Breaks come right down to the wire because I'm setting up all of my guys either into support positions, or to easily wreck the battleship once it turns on me.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, can we put Kawaii into Impulse?

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

You referred to Auel as Auru though the whole update, as well as Louise as Halvey rather than Halevy once.

Does the Minerva always appear when Sword Impulse uses Excalibur or did it appear because it was part of the squad attacking?

I told him about the Halevy thing in IRC before going to press, but he just wouldn't listen. And I was even less convincing about Auel because I didn't have anything Banrise-made that could justify it (i.e. model kit box Engrish - the SEED Destiny HG boxes are surprisingly spartan for random English compared to lines before or since).

As for the Minerva cut-in on Force Impulse's Excalibur Dropoff attack, IIRC that always happens but you only get the Meyrin lead-in VO if she's present.

SSNeoman posted:

With a hundred grand in our pocket, presumably any pilot we wanted to buy. Right now our only slots not filled with "ace" units are Timp/Borjarnon, Kawaii/Ga-Zowmn, Claire/Leo (OZ), and Yurin if you want to rotate her in for some reason.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Blaze Dragon posted:

Because "Halevy" is retarded. "Auel" makes no sense coming from the kana and I have no idea where the hell they got it from. The Minerva always appears and you do always get Meyrin's VO, which is kind of hilarious.

SSNeoman posted:

After the shitshow which was Cross Ange I don't think I can take that animation style seriously again.

I'm completely convinced that Cross Ange is some kind of tax scam considering the ridiculously prolific voice cast involved. Either that or the director was going 'I bet I can get away with ANYTHING' and proceeded to do so.

Anyway, assuming we don't mind shuffling units between pilots...

Perfectly balanced and comes with Team Work, although his Awakening stat will go to waste in the Impulse.

Will also waste her Awakening stat, but she has balanced offensive stats that gel with the Impulse.

On that score, Ranalow is probably a wiser choice, as his balanced offensive stats are higher and his higher defense works well with VPS.

Timp continues to exist while being tilted towards shooting, but his stats are largely balanced at this point. His Command keeps going up too. Kawaii Uguu by contrast is all about that Reaction.

Claire kind of falls into the same trap as Ellis and Mark; her Awakening stat would be a total waste on the Impulse, since it never gets any Awakening weapons (unless you evolve it into Regenerate but why would you do that when Destiny Impulse and Destiny exist?). Same for Yuri, since she's entirely wrapped up in her Awakening.

Abram is already using the Strike, but if we wanted to shuffle units around, he would still make a good fit in the Impulse for all the same reasons I gave him the Strike. In that case I'd probably give the Strike to Claire so that when it becomes the Strike Freedom she can use its Awakening stat.

Alternate: buy whoever we want. I recommend Haro.

Haro is completely ridiculous, with perfectly balanced stats and the astonishingly overpowered Haro Genki! skill, which restores 1% HP and EN to his unit at the start of each turn, to a maximum of 20% restored at max level.

I mean if you want to make suggestions for people I haven't listed feel free, I'm just not taking a couple-hundred screencaps of the scout menu. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I realize stat-wise, the Destiny is the clear pick over the Destiny Impulse... but I loving love the latters design so much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I say give it to Kawaii Uguu

She earned ot after that performance.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Will any of the G Gundam crew show up soon?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Onmi posted:

I realize stat-wise, the Destiny is the clear pick over the Destiny Impulse... but I loving love the latters design so much.

The differences aren't all that minor, but I'd argue that the lower stats and lack of Ultimate weapons on the Destiny Impulse make it a better Team unit than the Destiny. But then, I'm also using a Magella Attack Tank (currently level 63) as a sniper, so I'm clearly insane.

I'm still recommending a new ship, but considering the terrain of the next three missions, maybe just a Booster part for Carry Base instead?

Ranalow for the Impulse, and give it a RADAR part. Not many EWACs units made it into Overworld, and most (all?) of them aren't great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jegan posted:

The differences aren't all that minor, but I'd argue that the lower stats and lack of Ultimate weapons on the Destiny Impulse make it a better Team unit than the Destiny. But then, I'm also using a Magella Attack Tank (currently level 63) as a sniper, so I'm clearly insane.

I'm still recommending a new ship, but considering the terrain of the next three missions, maybe just a Booster part for Carry Base instead?

Ranalow for the Impulse, and give it a RADAR part. Not many EWACs units made it into Overworld, and most (all?) of them aren't great.

Wait, the Lack of ultimate weapons? Why would a lack be desirable?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Onmi posted:

Having all your weapons upgrade using the same item can be a good thing. Useful some times, crippling overspecialization at others.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

We put Hazardous AI into the means of offense and prolonged locomotion next time.
Still, for Kawaii.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Put Kawaii in the Impulse, Timp needs to be saved for something befitting of a cowboy, like the Maxter maybe, or Heavyarms

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ace of Aces posted:

I'm completely convinced that Cross Ange is some kind of tax scam considering the ridiculously prolific voice cast involved. Either that or the director was going 'I bet I can get away with ANYTHING' and proceeded to do so.

The only good thing to come out of that anime is the discovery that Nana Mizuki is an FYAD level troll. She apparently read the script for the first several episodes, decided they were apparently loving hilarious, convinced her fellow voice actresses to join in on that endeavor and managed to move BDs by attaching concert tickets to them. She apparently had a great time and left everyone in the industry very, very confused.

Or in other words

"What's the most profitable poo poo anime coming this season?"
"I dunno, Terra Formars?"
"You are like a little baby! Watch this!"
*cross ange happens here*

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 26, 2017

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Onmi posted:

Finishers also guzzle EN like pepsi and Masters have intrinsic EN regen, making them better suited for units with a lot of flash.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm playing Genesis right now, it's.. definitely different.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Katz Kobayashi for the Impulse

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Herr Tog posted:

Katz Kobayashi for the Impulse

Y'know, I don't really have any strong opinions on SEED Destiny and I still feel insulted by this. I'm actually kind of impressed by that. Although to be fair suggesting him for piloting anything would be an insult to the series in question...barring anything from AGE :v:

Meanwhile in the real world, we should have Kawaii get the Impulse.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Snark posted:

Y'know, I don't really have any strong opinions on SEED Destiny and I still feel insulted by this. I'm actually kind of impressed by that. Although to be fair suggesting him for piloting anything would be an insult to the series in question...barring anything from AGE :v:

Meanwhile in the real world, we should have Kawaii get the Impulse.

Ryu Jose for the Impulse

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Hathaway's Flash Edge: idgaf who gets the Impulse but as soon as you fast-track it to Destiny, buy one for Mafty

New Cathedral of Sprues on a day I don't have to burn myself out doing ad hoc landscaping. So probably as late as when the A5 or A6 update happens.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Once there's a spare master slot, I'd like to request that it be used for a mobile armor.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Yeah that's mostly what Master slots get used for, either EN hog units or MAs (since most good MAs are XL or bigger and you can't put them in your hangar except by taking slots away from a team if they're in a Master slot).

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Sorry for the huge delay on the update; in addition to Persona 5 coming out, I've had a lot of uni work on my plate and been pretty much constantly sick on and off, so I've spent most of the last fortnight asleep.

ANYWAY

Kawaii Uguu got the Impulse since there were like five times as many votes for her as for anyone else and now we're off to my second-favorite map in the A-tier...

Mission A4: The East is Burning Red

: Then, it's probably the Devil Gundam...
: Quiet!
: Huh!?
: Looks like we're surrounded!

: Grr! If that's the case...!

Sadly due to technical limitations Master Asia shows up in the Kowloon Gundam instead of on foot. Note that this was not the case in G-Generation Advance where Master Asia on foot is arguably the best unit in the game.

: Amazing...
: That... that technique!?
: You can't afford to make any mistakes here, Domon Kasshu!
: I knew it! That man's the Undefeated of the East... Master Asia!
: What? Your martial arts master... and the former King of Hearts?
: Master!
: Answer me, Domon!

: The Winds of the King!
: Zenshin!
: Keiretsu!

: How have you been, Domon? Or rather, the man I acknowledge as the King of Hearts?
: Master! It's great to see you! But... why are you here?
: I can see that as master and pupil, our destinies have always been tied together.
: Huh?
: You see, the reason I'm here is related to the Devil Gundam. Look! This is Tokyo now! This city, once known as a great economic centre, is now reduced to ruins! It's all the Death Army's fault... and the giant Gundam that controls them!
: I knew the Devil Gundam was behind this!
: I wonder how this happened...

At this moment, Master Asia's radar goes off.

: Huh?

: drat... there's so many!
: Domon! We can't afford to deal with them one at a time! Get ready!
: Right, Master! It'll be my honor! Shining Gundam!

I feel like I should mention that not only is this not the most ridiculous thing that happens in G Gundam, it's not the most ridiculous thing that happens in this episode of G Gundam.

More dudes spawn in on rubble either side of the road.

: drat that rowdy bunch!
: They just keep coming!
: Domon! Let's show these weaklings the power of Master and Student!
: Right, Master! It's been a while since my blood boiled! This has to be the work of Kyouji! I'll destroy them myself! Every single one of them!

At this point I finally get to deploy, although I do some quick shuffling in the war room first: for this stage, Timp rides the Dagger L we stole last map, Claire gets the Ge-Zowmn, and Gai gets the Ebirhu-S.

This is a super easy break trigger. The only catch is that the rubble either side of the highway is very difficult to move through and provides some fairly significant bonuses (15%, and even 5% to units in the air), which is why everyone I can deploy on this map now has a unit that can fly.

Since we deployed on the west side (this map is symmetrical so there's no benefit to starting on either side), Domon and Master Asia head to deal with the group over on the East first of all.

: Bwahaha! Fool! You won't get the upper hand so easily!

This did 7.5k on a crit. This is the Kowloon Gundam's bnb attack, Kowloon Cloth (called 'Cross' in the menu because the translators are almost as good at English as Sunrise are). It has 28s across the board, can fly, its weakest attack is 4000 points (which is stronger than the strongest attacks on several of my units) and has a 1~3 finisher and a 7000-power movement-type MAPW. Master Asia himself has an incredible 45 in melee and avoid and doesn't care about any of his other stats because he doesn't need to.
Like most G Gundam units, the Kowloon Gundam is very vulnerable to being sniped - its longest-range attack is its finisher, which is only range 3, and it costs 30 MP to use. However, Death Armies have a maximum range of 4, bearing the standard grunt unit loadout of a 1~1 melee and a 2~4 rifle attack, and they prefer to close into melee.

Domon suffers the same problem, which is why the weakened Death Army is being hit by Shining Finger Sword.
: I'll show you the results of my training!
Now take this! My love! My anger! And all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGER! GO, GO, GOOOOO!!

It always kind of bugged me that after the second quarter of the show was largely spent mastering the TRUE SUPER MODE and the Shining Finger Sword, it became kind of irrelevant after Domon received the God Gundam. Admittedly the God Gundam's design is loving fantastic, and G Gundam doesn't completely drop the ball on characterization due to the midseason upgrade (see: SEED) due to Domon having a lot more to learn about both himself and the God Gundam at that point, but it's still irritating.

The Shining Gundam has something of an obvious flaw in the sense that it doesn't even have a range 1~2 attack that doesn't cost MP, and its Shining Shot ranged attack, at 2~3, is also quite weak. It's better than nothing, though, and the God Gundam doesn't even have that, making it even more cripplingly overspecialized. That said, it's astonishingly powerful in its preferred range. Basically all of the G Gundam units (except the mobile armor and the Devil Gundam Jr.) fall into this category.

Oh yes, and Shining Shot isn't very accurate and Domon's ranged stat is pretty garbage, so he missed his shot and ate 1/3 of his life on the Death Army's counter. FOOLISH PUPIL.

Elsewhere, Garrod and Carry Base soften up a Death Army so I can start a murderball. One way or another, we'll be doing something about the poor performance of his unit by the start of the next map.

I didn't get a cap of it because I forgot that the Phoenix Zero doesn't have the combined beam rifle of the Phoenix Gundam, but Mark Gilder rolled up and finished the Death Army which caused some of the Carry Base members to level off the EXP bonus on assist attacks.

OK Timp, I gave you a new mech, so don't gently caress up.

Yes good

I'm really good at picking frames between when it calculates the damage and the total damage to take screenshots. Ellis gets nicked in response, but it's nothing she can't handle. I follow up with Ranalow in melee, then take a chance and try to feed Timp a kill on the last weakened Death Army.

To make it clear in comparison to the Kowloon Gundam, this is the Dark Dagger's most powerful and extremely inaccurate bazooka attack, at 4000 power. This was a coinflip to hit, although if I'd gotten a lucky crit it would have finished the Death Army off.

On this map in particular, I do something that I don't usually do, which is to deploy both squads at the same time from turn one. I wouldn't have done this if Timp had finished the Death Army off, but this gives me the chance to have a second murderball. Abrams comes out and vulcans that Death Army to death, and then it's time for Kawaii Uguu's new ride.

She took 2000 damage back. The Force Impulse may be the most fragile of the Impulse's schemes but it's still a CE73 unit and a Gundam at that.

MISSILES GO. I actually quite like the Ge-Zowmn, but it's less valuable on the tech tree than the Leo is.

Gai demonstrates the merits of the Ebirhu-S by sniping at a Death Army from range 5, thanks to Mercenary. The Ebirhu-S and its related units tend to be pretty average (apart from their extremely unusual funnel-type long range attacks that aren't awakening weapons), but they also come with built-in EWACs, buffing all friendly units within 4 panels for +10 accuracy.

There wasn't much special about this but Claire preceded it by yelling UNIVEEEEEEEERSE so I'm not mad.

ENEMY PHASE! I'm starting to field units that aren't complete garbage, so enemy phases are becoming somewhat less butt-clenching that they have been. The worst thing that can happen on this map is that you get unlucky rolls with Domon, who is surprisingly fragile despite his naturally-high defense score.

Which is exactly what happens. By the way, I killed eight Death Armies on turn one alone. When my turn comes along, Garrod takes down the last weakened one on the west side, making number 9, which also causes his BASIC to level. On the other side, I have Master Asia move along to finish one of the Death Armies, for reasons that will shortly become apparent.

Or that was the plan but this did about 300 less damage than the Death Army had health. This is actually a good thing since it means Domon can score the kill instead, which is important.

: As expected of you, Domon! Let's drive them away in one go!
: It's all thanks to you, Master!
: Ha ha ha ha ha! What are you saying!? You were always this talented! Now, for the finishing touch! Don't get careless, Domon!
: Yes, Master!

I have no idea how that text got cut off but they're saying generic mook things like the Fist of the North Star rejects they are.

: Guh! Doesn't this feel awfully dangerous!? But I won't hand over this Gundam so easily!
: A Gundam is under attack!? Who is that fighter!? Master! Could they be one of the Devil Gundam's...!?
: Hmm.. don't you feel it, Domon? The pilot's unusual presence?
: Unusual...?
: Huh... so that's a Gundam too!? And there's two of them...!? Alright, in that case... hey, you!
: Huh...!?
: Things'll get ugly if you keep attacking! Listen up! This Gundam has a terrifying secret weapon!

: I asked if the moon's out!
: Listen! If you get hit by that attack...!
: As if we'd fall for a bluff like that!
: drat... I figured it was too obvious... Sorry... Tifa, I'll protect you, no matter what!
: Garrod...
: Huh? What's the matter, Tifa!?
: Garrod... not good! That is... not good!

It may be hard to tell but this cast of Bio3 is centered on the Kowloon Gundam.

: That is... it can't be! No! Tifa! Please listen to me!
: Aaaaaaahh...!

Come on guys, you had one job.

: Oh... good perception there, young lady! *Chuckle* What a waste... truly a waste...
: M... Master!? What are you doing!?
: Ha ha ha ha ha! Soon, you'll join your friends...
: W... what is going on!?
: Fool! You still haven't figured out my true identity!

Super Asia calls in four Death Army derivatives, two on each side of the Hypnos building from Digimon Tamers (seriously, what is that building? It's in everything).

: I-Impossible! Master is... the former King of Hearts is a follower of the Devil Gundam...
: Mwahahaha! I do not blame you for being surprised. I am also aware you can't believe it. But this is reality, Domon! Are you saddened by this? Is the truth terrifying? I understand what's going through your mind. So believe in me, and you will be saved. Now come, take my hand. I will always be with you.
: Gurh... Master is with me...
: No... you can't... no! Open your eyes... realize what's going on...!
: Gurh! That's right... I am... I am...
: Tch! Nosy insect... there's no other way! Be a good girl and enjoy your final moments!

I took the screenshot on the one frame in which the King of Hearts logo is not visible. :negative:

: Shut up! My hand glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you!
: What a fool, defying your master to the bitter end. In that case, I'll crush your right arm!

gently caress this break trigger in particular. I realise I say this about once per stage but the game is like that. This one is an rear end because the Shining Gundam has to fly to get in Shining Finger range and its flying movement is uh, garbage.

For the secret, Char ga kuru, and he brings two bog-standard Zaku IIs with him. The irritating part of this is that he appears immediately behind the Freeden, but at least the enemies targeting the capital ship aren't much of an issue; the real problem is Char's amazing stats and that he's piloting a unit that gets the full benefit of his Red Comet personal skill.

In flight, Garrod can't actually reach Master Asia with anything but the Satellite Cannon, so I have him start moving right to fight the vultures on that side, while Domon begins to come back to the middle. For my squad, I pull Team A back, while Team B begins moving southeast to engage Char and the remaining Death Armies from the initial wave. Speaking of Death Armies...

These ones are a fair bit tougher, serving as fairly-mobile artillery. They can hit surprisingly hard, so you have to be pretty careful about them, but there are only four of them on this map. There are actually two more types of 'Death' unit - Death Birdy, which flies, and Death Navy, which swims.

As for our Garrod, he's doing ok, so I let him commence engagement with the Vultures over on the west side, using the Carry Base for cover fire.

Garrod please. I have the Carry Base scatter Minovsky Particles; I have to hope that will be sufficient.

On the enemy phase the Death Armies get kind of distracted by the Freeden, which is a bit of a problem since it doesn't have an AA/CIWS setup, but it is very evasive, thankfully, and it keeps the heat off Garrod and Domon. Similarly, the vultures tend to be distracted by Carry Base, who can take many more hits than our Garrod can. Except for the ones that aren't and try to kill Garrod with critical hits.

Note the 261 HP. :rolldice:

Incidentally I used a rewind to grab this screenshot and in the process discovered that there is actually some randomness to the AI: the vulture ship attacked Garrod the first time through, then the Carry Base the second time. On their phase, Char and co just move up because Zaku IIs are pretty slow.

Surprisingly, this actually hit Char and I was so surprised that I dropped the screencap of him losing half his health to coinflip battleship fire. Up top, I move Domon into position to begin his fight and nudge Garrod slightly east, then use the Satellite Cannon to spread some damage and kill a Death Army. Heading north, I leave him to engage the Death Beasts on that side - which will also put him in range to shoot at Master Asia in order to back Domon up.

Not you too! :negative:

Elsewhere, Team B engages Char, with Kawaii Uguu locking in the kill.

- I really need to be more on the ball. I moved Uguu back up to start picking at the Death Armies harassing the Freeden and instead she crit one for 6.5k and killed it outright. I had animations off because I thought she'd just nudge it.

Shotlancers do chew up a lot of EN but they have huge range and do a lot of damage. This was a pretty poor damage roll, but normally I would have expected this to kill the Death Army.

Meanwhile, I have Garrod fall back, while Team A comes out and starts shredding the Vultures hanging around the Carry Base. The Phoenix Zero levelled off the first attack, and so did Zenon (the captain) and Niki (the XO). Since there are no more enemies in the Carry Base's range at this point, I have it disperse instead, which helps provide some defense on my turn.

Ranalow is really pretty great if you can get him into melee - he consistently deals about 4000 with his melee attack. And hey, Mark levelled! Ellis comes out and the three of them take out the remaining vulture, but I don't move on the capital ship yet - it has a payload of Jenice units (basically Gundam X's version of a Zaku). The other one is the same. Instead, everyone moves up to coerce it into releasing its units, except Ellis because I fatfingered her menu. :negative:

On enemy phase, the Death Beast that the other Garrod attacked hits him back, dying in the process, but I discovered that the other Garrod has a different low-health quote to our own.

Down south, Team B crash into the remaining Death Army lineup and Kawaii Uguu continues to score fluke crits that kill things I'm trying to just nudge, so I bump up the mobility on her Impulse when it levels up. Unfortunately, at this point, Team B are running critically low on energy, so I'll have to bring them back over slowly and meet up with the Carry Base in the center of the map - after it's done helping pound the first Vulture ship into oblivion.

Unbelievable. You know what missed here? One of the scattering beams that are high-accuracy. I'll let Carry Base finish it off since it's desperately in need of EXP.

This did tiwce as much damage as the target had HP. :black101:

Since our Garrod is now repaired, I have him go and fight the Death Beasts over on this side.

How did you take half as much damage from the same attack!?

This is as close as Domon can get. Thankfully, Master Asia does not have any long-range attacks (his furthest is range 4, like Domon), but he has A ranks on air and land and his Master Gundam has very high stats (27 everywhere except his 28 mobility), plus it has DG Cells (5% HP and EN regen every turn) and he himself has his Undefeated of the East skill, which increases melee and finisher weapon damage by 5%, so he's seriously vicious.
With that in mind, the other Garrod moves up a little bit further so that he can snipe at Master Asia next turn, while still being close enough that he can shoot back at the enemies near him - I just have to remember to leave enough EN for the Satellite Cannon.

Forgetting, of course, that Master Asia does in fact move.

: Take a good look at my power! I'll show you the difference between us!
: I'll settle this, on the name of the King of Hearts!

So yeah Domon is slightly outmatched. Elsewhere our Garrod tries to get the poo poo kicked out of him again but pulls through somehow. The rent-a-garrod tries to get himself killed as well but fortunately it goes a bit better for him.

Did I mention DG Cells goes off at the start of my turn? Since our Garrod is busy getting wrecked, I have him fall back to the Carry Base as well; the Death Beasts can pound on it basically ad infinitum without getting anywhere, which is pretty much the best use of it.

Elsewhere, the Rent-a-Garrod takes his shot at Master Asia...

: You son of a bitch! Don't underestimate the GX!
: Oh... you have pretty good senses, brat!

Did I mention that the Master Gundam has a shield? Rather than having Domon engage immediately, I have him back up and use Shining Finger Sword, so that he can land next turn.

Alright!

Yeah this reduced Domon to about 2000 HP, which is a huge problem. I'm going to be really rolling dice on the enemy phase since his master regen won't kick in until my turn.

I always forget how strong Master Asia is. This is with domon evading and he still has a 76% to-hit chance. Defend wouldn't reduce the damage by enough for Domon to live.

... to my amazement, Domon dodges it right away, no savestate fuckery required. Someone up there still likes me.

On my turn, after everyone survives, it's time for Master Asia to get finished off. This one is for all the marbles!

:siren:Check the video!

Like with Banana's melee combo with special dialogue, the PSP hardware lags during the Shining Finger cut-ins, and it also lags when a unit is exploding, so none of the dialogue gets cut off or jumbled together on an actual PSP. Dissidia sometimes has a similar problem.

: Urgh... me, of all people... what a blunder!
: Master! Please withdraw! There must be a reason for your behavior! Yes... I believe it's possible that you're being controlled by my brother... or rather, the Devil Gundam! Please, for the time being...
: Hmph... very well. I'll honor your request and withdraw. However, Domon, as of today, you are no longer any disciple of mine! Next time, I intend to destroy you, Domon!
: Grrr... Master!

And now for something completely different: a WADOM and six Turn-A lizard runners spawn in down south.

: There aren't supposed to be any! I even checked my radar, just in case! Was the Diana Counter's intelligence totally wrong?

Poe opens fire, sending the Japanese twin towers to join their American bretheren. :911: incensed by this destruction, Loran arrives in the Turn A Gundam...

... and proves that he hasn't spent much time on Earth.

: What!? That mobile suit has a moustache...!? Quit messing around! All units! Capture every Mobile Suit on Earth and inspect them! Take them alive, for now!
: That's a long-range beam... it's a battleship-class weapon, too! I've seen the Diana Counter force training... if there's air, even a megaparticle cannon can...
: How barbaric! These Earthlings can only be called savages! The best weapons they have still use gunpowder! But no matter how I look at these Mobile Suits... they're practically new!
: Stop it! I don't intend to fight!
: You wouldn't be piloting an MS if you didn't intend to fight! If that's a militia MS, we will take it!
: Then I'll just have to fight!

This whole mess is just really tacked on to the stage. As I've complained about on other stages, there's no interaction between the Turn A characters and the rest, which is particularly damning considering that there was a lot of it five minutes ago when you hit the first generation break.

Graham calls in two Union Realdos, as his dialogue implies. He himself, however, is in his brutally-powerful Graham's Union FLAG Custom, which, although it lacks exceptional weaponary, is very difficult to hit and has both a defense rod and anti-beam coating, giving it significantly more staying power than its 20 DEF and 12860 HP would indicate.

I have the Rent-a-Garrod and Domon move up to where Loran spawned, with Garrod hitting the Daughtresses off to the right with his satellite cannon Lock3, killing two and maiming another. The real reason for this, however, is that Loran's skill is Area HP Recovery, restoring 6000 HP to the other masters as they're within 4 panels. With that done, he starts moving south at speed in order to reach Poe in time; I'll be leaving the other two guest masters to fight Graham. The Freeden is instead repositioned to trade fire with the Vulture capital ship - with Jamail at it's helm, this is a slugging match it's not going to lose.

I leave our Garrod up here to fight the two remaining Death Beasts (this is after he's killed one of them); he has more than enough time to get clear before the OVER Impact makes hanging around near the other masters a Bad Decision.

... is what I was going to do but he got a crit on the second Death Beast so I loaded him back into the Carry Base before I moved it; it's heading SW to pick up Team B while also intercepting the Turn A squad. On the enemy phase, it's baiscally just movement since everyone is miles out of position.

When my turn comes around again, Domon throws down with Graham.

Ow. Domon hit him for just shy of 10k but Graham hits back very hard. Fortunately, this version of him has Graham Special, which makes him gain 2 MP every time it is modified and increases his critical rate; his Mister Bushido and Movie versions have very powerful personal skills. Rent-a-Garrod came in to save the day and I didn't think to take the screenshot since I was expecting it to be over with that but the anti-beam coating on Graham's FLAG caused it to just barely not die.

Meanwhile, Loran continues moving south, Team B gets mostly onboard the Carry Base, and I send Garrod out to snipe at my favorite mook suit in the franchise.

Seriously, just look at it. :3:

On the enemy phase, Poe moves up, the Walking Dumplings break themselves against our Garrod and Graham commits a lover's suicide via Domon's brutal fisting technique.

Because I'm planning on triggering the OVER Impact very shortly, I have the Rent-a-Garrod move as far north as possible, while bringing Domon down so that it will be quicker to shoot him down later. The enemy ship is being persistent about not releasing its units so I have the Freeden come over to be in arms' reach as well. Meanwhile, our Garrod ploughs through the Walking Dumplings, levels up his GX, enters Super Critical Tension, and gains a level of the gods:

Why can't Kawaii Uguu and Timp get levels like that!?

Despite my better judgment, I had him take a potshot at Poe's WADOM. This is a mistake, as you can see, since it eats up most of his HP. Fortunately on her turn she almost always targets Loran, and Team A can still move.

At this point, Poe is down to almost no health, but as you can see, I've had Timp make sure her path is clear - she can roll up on Loran if she feels like it, which she probably will.

She didn't! Despite Loran being in striking distance, she focuses on Timp instead, getting a critical with her battleship-class anti-air guns.

Now that it's my turn and Loran is in range, there's only one thing left to do: engage!

: Pilot of the moustachioed MS! Abandon your unit!
: Don't you sound just like a pirate or bandit?
: WhaCHA!

: Just how pathetic am I!?

And then the OVER Impact happens.

: I swear on this fist, I will defeat you!
: I, Garrod Ran, will be your opponent!
: Still want to fight? How foolish of you!
: Stay out of my way or die!

I've never seen Turn A but that line seems really out of character for Loran. I wasn't under the impression he followed the Kamille Bidan school of heroism.

Anyway it's still my turn so Garrod rolls in and support attacks with Team A and beats seven colors of poo poo out of Loran.

: Think about where you are before you start a fight!

The Turn A also sometimes does a ninja run when it's being targeted on the enemy's turn. More amusingly, the WADOM and FLAT sometimes do it as well.

: No... one more hit and...!

Team A moves through to finish up the rest of the Walking Dumplings (WADUMs?), and I have the Carry Base move up, deploying Team B to shoot down the remaining capital ships. Domon is the guy I'm going to leave alive until I can safely do a Free Capture!

Speaking of the Freeden, Jamil demonstrates his Max Jenius-like powers by dodging an entire team's worth of pinpoint attacks. On the enemy turn, Domon engages Team B, although his damage output is stymied by their cooperative support defending.

: I don't have time to play around with you!

Case in point, his Shining Finger Sword hits Kawaii Uguu, who was defending, for a little over 1000 damage. Since Team B are having trouble, after a couple of lucky hits, I bring Garrod out to finish it off, so that I can Free Capture on his Chance Step.

: End of the line. All hands, evacuate!

The BASIC reached level 8, too, which will give us some options in the Intermission. As for the remaining vulture ship, Kawaii Uguu finishes it off...

... is what I'd like to say but it wasn't in range so she hits Domon in the face instead.

Haha, we really need to put Timp in something this good so that he stops looking terrible when I do updates.

Fortunately on the enemy phase the Daughtress units are kind enough to get out of my way and Kawaii uguu continues to no-sell Domon, and then on my turn she moves up to finish the Vulture ship.

She levelled up, too!

Then, Garrod drops a free capture and it's finally time to get up close and personal with Domon. :siren:Video because why not?

: poo poo! I'm still naive...

That Basic OS part is stupidly good. It gives +5 to the pilot's combat stats. Timp and Kawaii Uguu will both be getting one of these to make up for their bad starting stats and growths.

Design spoils. None of these are very good (except the Balient which is a great little squad-filler) but I wanted to show off that their idea for the Juracg Cold Climate Type was to literally just put it on an MS-sized surfboard.

OK so at this point, the Gundam X BASIC is a high-enough level that we can actually turn it into the regular Gundam X. However, we just got a Gundam X. So we have a couple of options. One is turning it into the Gundam Leopard as discussed and handing it off to someone else, allowing Garrod to use the Gundam X we just captured. Another is keeping the Gundam X around so that it can turn into a Haro MA at level 15, in which case I'd hand it off to Timp so that he had something a little more useful to pilot.

Elsewhere, Mark Gilder's Phoenix Zero becomes a Phoenix Gundam, giving it access to its signature Feather Funnels and just generally making it a significantly better unit.

One of the Tornado Gundams becomes the Turn A BASIC because you cannot get a Turn A for a long loving time.

Abrams' Strike becomes the Duel, so that I can move it up into the Assault Shroud and Blu Duel, which suit Abrams' stats better.

The Ga-Zowmn levelled up, and since I'm not attached to it, it becomes a Gaza-D to help fill out the catalogue.

For the same reason, the Dark Dagger L becomes the 105 Dagger (Jet Strike), which in addition to looking cool is something I don't think I've ever had in my catalogue in this game or World.

In exchange for improving my catalogue, we get access to this walking pile of homophobic characterization. Brand is a glass-cannon type character (17 offensive stats, 9 defense stats, 12 Leadership for some reason) with Fearsome, which reduces the MP of enemy pilots by 20 (to a max of 40). Get it, because he's camp gay and creeps them out. He's kind of terrible so I won't ever be fielding him.

Anyway, that's all for this one, except for decision time: What do we do with the Gundam X BASIC? Wait for it to become a Haro, or turn it into a Gundam Leopard?

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Ace of Aces posted:

Super Asia calls in four Death Army derivatives, two on each side of the Hypnos building from Digimon Tamers (seriously, what is that building? It's in everything).

It's the National Diet Building and it's in everything because it's Tokyo's answer to the US's Capitol Building - a giant legislative complex where politicians take votes, lobbying money, and the occasional precocious intern.

If you sent me the rough copy like normal, I'd have briefed you on this.

Anyway, votes, solicited and otherwise:
- Go the distance with the GX Basic, get us a Haro. Swapping Garrod into the true GX is basically 5k more HP and a Basic OS's worth of buffs, on top of finally getting to use the Satellite Cannon. And when it develops into stuff, we can devolve back, buy more copies for sidegrading, etc.
- Have Timp keep piloting Blackalleys (or Brackaries, as your subs indicate; in any case these being Strike Dagger derivatives). Sadly we don't get the Nuclear Strike Windam so there's no Walker Gallier capstone, but ehh.
- Buy a second Duel and have it U-turn toward Strike and Strike Rouge. Alternatively, have it gun for Buster so we can make a very good Pun Design down the road.

Andy Waltfeld fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 12, 2017

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I want to see more mechas, Leopard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ace of Aces posted:

: Grr! If that's the case...!

Sadly due to technical limitations Master Asia shows up in the Kowloon Gundam instead of on foot. Note that this was not the case in G-Generation Advance where Master Asia on foot is arguably the best unit in the game.

: Amazing...
: That... that technique!?
: You can't afford to make any mistakes here, Domon Kasshu!
: I knew it! That man's the Undefeated of the East... Master Asia!
: What? Your martial arts master... and the former King of Hearts?
: Master!
: Answer me, Domon!

: The Winds of the King!
: Zenshin!
: Keiretsu!

: How have you been, Domon? Or rather, the man I acknowledge as the King of Hearts?

EHEM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AwV3o0nAYk

Proceed.

quote:

It always kind of bugged me that after the second quarter of the show was largely spent mastering the TRUE SUPER MODE and the Shining Finger Sword, it became kind of irrelevant after Domon received the God Gundam. Admittedly the God Gundam's design is loving fantastic, and G Gundam doesn't completely drop the ball on characterization due to the midseason upgrade (see: SEED) due to Domon having a lot more to learn about both himself and the God Gundam at that point, but it's still irritating.

I don't get this complaint. Hyper Mode remains relevant throughout the entire series, to the point that the other Gundam Fighters get it to match up to Domon and, later on, even Master Asia is shown to have it. Shining Finger Sword disappears, sure, but that's because it isn't a weapon on the God Gundam and it wasn't that important to begin with, what mattered was Domon letting go of his anger and understanding that inner peace was a much greater power.

quote:

Shotlancers do chew up a lot of EN but they have huge range and do a lot of damage. This was a pretty poor damage roll, but normally I would have expected this to kill the Death Army.

Oh wow, that really was an awful damage roll. I don't think I've ever seen an attack do 5 damage before!

quote:

: Stay out of my way or die!

I've never seen Turn A but that line seems really out of character for Loran. I wasn't under the impression he followed the Kamille Bidan school of heroism.

Anyway it's still my turn so Garrod rolls in and support attacks with Team A and beats century colours, million colours of poo poo out of Loran.

I watched the entirety of Turn A and:
1) watch Turn A dammit
2) Yes, that's horribly OOC for Loran. Considering the amount of unneccesary swearing I'm seeing though, I don't doubt this is the translation wanting to be edgy.

Also I improved upon your lack of references. Shameful.

quote:

Team A moves through to finish up the rest of the Walking Dumplings (WADUMs?), and I have the Carry Base move up, deploying Team B to shoot down the remaining capital ships. Domon is the guy I'm going to leave alive until I can safely do a Free Capture!

WaD.

quote:

Anyway, that's all for this one, except for decision time: What do we do with the Gundam X BASIC? Wait for it to become a Haro, or turn it into a Gundam Leopard?

Haro is genki and you should not ungenki him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Haro-Haro!
Haro-Haro!

Haro-Haro-Haro-Haro-Haro-Haro-Haro-Haro!.....
Let's go the way of crimes against sanity.

• Locked thread