Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

And now he's made a big deal of shaking Wengy's hand before training. RIP Alexis it was cool when you played for Arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao Wenger benched Alexis for having the audacity to criticize his awful team mates for being awful

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao Wenger benched Alexis for having the audacity to criticize his awful team mates for being awful

Sounds like Alexis isn't a team player and was rightly dropped.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ciprian Maricon posted:

tbf if Alexis had a meltdown then I don't really mind whether Wengy dropped him. But Arsenal are bad, this sucks, and I can see why anyone with any competitive spirit would be melting down.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Wengy had balls he'd make Alexis the captain and tell everyone else they could deal with having a leader who actually wants to be competitive and win, or they can gtfo

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

tbf if Alexis had a meltdown then I don't really mind whether Wengy dropped him. But Arsenal are bad, this sucks, and I can see why anyone with any competitive spirit would be melting down.

I'm gonna side with the player who actually cares and tries instead.

It doesn't bother me that a player like Alexis got angry and hurt the precious feelings of absolute twats like Welbeck or Walcott or Monreal or whatever crybaby was upset that he actually wants to win things.

They all got used to Wenger heaping constant praise on mediocre performances and making excuses for their most shameful displays it doesn't bother me one bit that someone in the dressing room cares enough to point out how absolutely terrible they've all been.

It's not like Wenger's soft and gentle man management has been reaping rewards, his teams are constantly hounded for being weak and spineless and buckling under pressure so maybe they'll do better if someone calls them out on being awful. They could hardly do worse in the mental toughness department

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 6, 2017

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

vyelkin posted:

If Wengy had balls he'd make Alexis the captain and tell everyone else they could deal with having a leader who actually wants to be competitive and win, or they can gtfo

I would agree if that wouldn't assure him leaving in the summer.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

To a what? You stupid oval office, stop posting.

Thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hahahaha

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
My gut says he's gone already, though. And it will suck real bad when the only player that gives a poo poo leaves.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm gonna side with the player who actually cares and tries instead.

It doesn't bother me that a player like Alexis got angry and hurt the precious feelings of absolute twats like Welbeck or Walcott or Monreal or whatever crybaby was upset that he actually wants to win things.

They all got used to Wenger heaping constant praise on mediocre performances and making excuses for their most shameful displays it doesn't bother me one bit that someone in the dressing room cares enough to point out how absolutely terrible they've all been.

It's not like Wenger's soft and gentle man management has been reaping rewards, his teams are constantly hounded for being weak and spineless and buckling under pressure so maybe they'll do better if someone calls them out on being awful. They could hardly do worse in the mental toughness department

I don't disagree with you. I just think that it's the situation that the situation Arsenal is in is the problem more than the actual dropping.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

My gut says he's gone already, though. And it will suck real bad when the only player that gives a poo poo leaves.

Oh he's absolutely gone. I don't think Arsenal were ever going to give him the money needed to hang on to him in the first place, but it's definitely not happening now that they have spectacularly shat the bed once again.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Fortunately the FA are less visually challenged than ABU poopyheads like Bape Culture.

"Furthermore, the FA has submitted a claim that the standard punishment that would otherwise apply for the misconduct committed by the Bournemouth defender is 'clearly insufficient'."

Mings will get more than a 3 match ban for deliberately stamping on Zlatan's head. :toot:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

PirateBob posted:

Fortunately the FA are less visually challenged than ABU poopyheads like Bape Culture.

"Furthermore, the FA has submitted a claim that the standard punishment that would otherwise apply for the misconduct committed by the Bournemouth defender is 'clearly insufficient'."

Mings will get more than a 3 match ban for deliberately stamping on Zlatan's head. :toot:

I like you calling others visually challenged when you genuinely believed that gabbiadini's goal was offside when it was the most onside poo poo of all time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm gonna side with the player who actually cares and cries with his head under a hood in front of the dugout like a massive loving attention-seeking baby instead.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I like you calling others visually challenged when you genuinely believed that gabbiadini's goal was offside when it was the most onside poo poo of all time.

Lol. I did not believe that, I was quoting reddit as I tend to do here.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

PirateBob posted:

i hope he gets a 10 match ban and people wail and beat their chests about it

that would be ideal

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Arsenal are so bad they regularly make me weep so I'm really happy to see a player I can identify with on the pitch

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get some perspective, mate. Some of us had Bob Bradley managing our team this season.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
monreal is trash and has been trash for a long time. i didnt just sign that post

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
so i agree, but i dont think he should be the scapegoat. it's really an astounding collective failure.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bea Nanner posted:

so i agree, but i dont think he should be the scapegoat. it's really an astounding collective failure.

I think the turning point for Wenger disappearing up his own rear end was a few years ago when he had Steve Bould take over defensive coaching and they started defending really well and then Wenger got mad somebody other than him got praise for tactics at arsenal and drummed Bould out of the club.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Byolante posted:

I think the turning point for Wenger disappearing up his own rear end was a few years ago when he had Steve Bould take over defensive coaching and they started defending really well and then Wenger got mad somebody other than him got praise for tactics at arsenal and drummed Bould out of the club.

This is a Byolante classic.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Byolante posted:

He's still there. I think he does the cones now.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blue footed boobie posted:

This is a Byolante classic.

It was on 5 live football daily at the time, was ages back.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/05/arsene-wenger-and-steve-bould_n_2809779.html that mentions ornstein saying it on 5 live

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Byolante posted:

It was on 5 live football daily at the time, was ages back.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/05/arsene-wenger-and-steve-bould_n_2809779.html that mentions ornstein saying it on 5 live

I'm aware of the rumor about Wenger taking defensive responsibilities away from Bould, but Bould was never drummed out of the club and in fact remains the assistant manager to this very day.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Bea Nanner posted:

imagine watching Monreal fail to defend consistently for three seasons and then seeing him start every match he's fit to play.

you, too, might think you could skate into the starting XI without worrying about your zone/mark.

this is Arsenal writ large.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
can you remember Gibbs making a critical defensive error? yet he sits on the bench.

Wenger has no idea how to build a team's spine. if he hadn't lucked into Petr Cech wanting to stay in London after he was replaced by Courtois, Arsenal would be a 7th place squad.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Reprisal posted:

can you remember Gibbs making a critical defensive error? yet he sits on the bench.

Yeah in that CL game when they got knocked out. Sorry I can't narrow it down more than that but I think he slipped over and Ronaldo scored?

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Dont know why its a surprise that wengy benched Alexis if he did what is said. He's done these things before when a player thinks he's bigger than the club or some poo poo.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Reprisal posted:

imagine watching Monreal fail to defend consistently for three seasons and then seeing him start every match he's fit to play.

you, too, might think you could skate into the starting XI without worrying about your zone/mark.

this is Arsenal writ large.

How often do you watch Arsenal play? Monreal hasn't had a good season this time around, but he's been consistently good over the past couple seasons. He's had a couple dodgy penalty calls against him (Vardy at the Emirates last season springs to mind) but those are more a product of bad luck than anything. Arsenal's problems run much deeper than him.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Monreal and Bellerin both are consistent liabilities defensively.

They look great when Arsenal control the ball all match long and they can make runs and put crosses in and involve themselves in the attack but when it comes to actually defending, stopping or impeding the opposition attacks they are consistently dog poo poo.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Shoren posted:

How often do you watch Arsenal play? Monreal hasn't had a good season this time around, but he's been consistently good over the past couple seasons. He's had a couple dodgy penalty calls against him (Vardy at the Emirates last season springs to mind) but those are more a product of bad luck than anything. Arsenal's problems run much deeper than him.

He's any easy target, but if you are looking at defensive line problems, he is the weak spot. The real problem is that he's good but not exceptional. There are a number of Arsenal players that fit this bill. And good players can do a job in a team, in the right circumstances, with the right instructions. Unfortunately, 'go out and express yourself' doesn't work great when you play a team of world class players like Bayern. In conclusion, I think ultimately the reason Arsenal don't have at team of winners is because winners are expensive.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Leicester are champions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arsenal's full backs are fine, it's the midfield that's a disaster. There's no quality in there at all

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Vegetable posted:

Arsenal's full backs are fine, it's the midfield that's a disaster. There's no quality in there at all

It's not just one failing. We could also talk about Iwobi being undroppable for some nebulous reason.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Bea Nanner posted:

It's not just one failing. We could also talk about Iwobi being undroppable for some nebulous reason.

But, but, but what about his ~development~

Wouldn't want to hurt the boy's confidence or feelings now.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Arsenal just had a solution to their problems, but it seem that these fools beat them to it:
http://www.teamtalk.com/news/nicklas-bendtner-leaves-forest-for-shock-move-to-norway

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Monreal and Bellerin both are consistent liabilities defensively.

They look great when Arsenal control the ball all match long and they can make runs and put crosses in and involve themselves in the attack but when it comes to actually defending, stopping or impeding the opposition attacks they are consistently dog poo poo.

I don't think this is so much their fault, though. They're expected to carry a lot of water going forward and get little help from the other wide players. And this is all compounded by the fact that Arsenal play a very wide game with a high line and little pressing. There's very little plan to actually stop the opposition from scoring. Generally I think arsenal's defensive problems aren't about the personnel.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Ibra got three matches for his elbow. Watch Mings win his appeal lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Daktari posted:

Arsenal just had a solution to their problems, but it seem that these fools beat them to it:
http://www.teamtalk.com/news/nicklas-bendtner-leaves-forest-for-shock-move-to-norway

3 loving year contract for Bentdner lol

• Locked thread