Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bea Nanner posted:

Schweinsteiger is going to Chicago. :rip:

Don't cry for him. He's already dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NJCUK/status/843102783318441985

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's zonal marking.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the strategy to mark the zones where nobody is standing

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is the strategy to mark the zones where nobody is standing

If you leave your zone to stand where a player is then you're man-marking.

Proper use of zonal marking puts players in the best positions to intercept the ball. Bellerin "standing nowhere" is in a cover position for an overhit cross/backpost 2nd phase.

Complaining that players aren't being marked by a zonal defence is honestly the stupidest loving criticism you can come up with, congrats. It's not like there aren't actual flaws in Arsenal's defending there.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Zonal marking isn't very smart if you only have one zone where you stick all the players IMO.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

If you leave your zone to stand where a player is then you're man-marking.

Proper use of zonal marking puts players in the best positions to intercept the ball. Bellerin "standing nowhere" is in a cover position for an overhit cross/backpost 2nd phase.

Complaining that players aren't being marked by a zonal defence is honestly the stupidest loving criticism you can come up with, congrats. It's not like there aren't actual flaws in Arsenal's defending there.

A place I would put a person when Zonal Marking: The far post

A place Arsene Wenger, multimillionaire football manager doesn't put a player when Zonal Marking: The far post

If you gently caress up your zonal marking so bad half the goal face is totally open and getting flooded by the other team's biggest boys you done hosed up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

A place I would put a person when Zonal Marking: The far post

A lot of managers don't do this now. I think the argument is that it impedes the goalkeeper/they can't stop much anyway/they are more effective elsewhere or something idk. I would put someone there but I'm old school and haven't done any maths or analysis.

Xabi posted:

Zonal marking isn't very smart if you only have one zone where you stick all the players IMO.

Agreed.

The problem with the picture isn't that West Brom players are unmarked, it's that 3 or 4 Arsenal players aren't doing their jobs properly, and the West Brom players did their jobs really well (Fletcher did great work disrupting the goalkeeper even when Cech was on the field. Ospina got shut down completely).

If Arsenal had tried man-marking you'd see a few of them lying on the floor or trying to pull back players because they're too small and weak to compete that way.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

A lot of managers don't do this now. I think the argument is that it impedes the goalkeeper/they can't stop much anyway/they are more effective elsewhere or something idk. I would put someone there but I'm old school and haven't done any maths

From a corner relying on the keeper to defend the far post seems really dumb because he will also need to be competing with the initial ball into the box. If you concede that battle then no amount of statistics is going to save you from a talented header of the ball putting it into the bottom far corner.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

From a corner relying on the keeper to defend the far post seems really dumb because he will also need to be competing with the initial ball into the box. If you concede that battle then no amount of statistics is going to save you from a talented header of the ball putting it into the bottom far corner.

It seems dumb but a lot of teams more organised than Arsenal aren't putting men on one or both posts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The difference I guess is that those teams are a lot more organized

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Zonal marking only works in Football Manager

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Boro are crap but have a top 5 defence. What is their strategy at coerners?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
“I told the boys before the session [on Tuesday] that last year, Ovie Ejaria came onto my plate, if you want,” Klopp told Liverpool’s official website.

odd way of getting noticed

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
lol

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

It seems dumb but a lot of teams more organised than Arsenal aren't putting men on one or both posts.

I wonder if removing players from the far post impacts football. Thats something Tony Pulis is infamous for exploiting, I wonder how his team of big strong lads are going this season. To the table guys!

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Breath Ray posted:

Boro are crap but have a top 5 defence. What is their strategy at coerners?

we man mark and have negredo attack the ball

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spurs are probably going to play all their home matches at Wembley next season.

That's them relegated.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/23/tottenham-granted-permission-to-play-27-home-games-wembley-next-season

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Shrapnig posted:

Spurs are probably going to play all their home matches at Wembley next season.

That's them relegated.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/23/tottenham-granted-permission-to-play-27-home-games-wembley-next-season

Selfishly, I'm glad this probably means that general sale tickets will be far easier to come by.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Isn't Tottenham pretty far North London and Wembley pretty far West? Bastard to get to if you don't have a car.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Hoops posted:

Isn't Tottenham pretty far North London and Wembley pretty far West? Bastard to get to if you don't have a car.

No good can come from a discussion concerning mass transit of Spurs fans.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What they can all take the train together. Oh.....

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Sozzled by mid-morning: what a life!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

ozmunkeh posted:

lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ozmunkeh posted:

:D

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Hoops posted:

It isn't like trying to get out to Milton Keynes would have been much better. It will make general sale very easy though, I wonder if they will take a hit next season on seasonal memberships.

I did like the idea of trying to promote earlier kickoffs as much as possible though, because it is hard to get away from Wembley and it probably does impact the local area.

gtkor fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 24, 2017

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Looking at the amount of Arsenal and Chelsea fans travelling from all over the city it'll probably not affect memberships much

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Surrey will turn into a ghost town.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FromTStands/status/845564328237502464

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lmao at this

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

i'm remembering hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98vLWzdP9A

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Incredible.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ahahaha

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ray Parlour tells a good story.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Lots of stuff going around today about Sanchez leaving Arsenal and Chelsea being in for him. It would be pretty amazing if Arsenal went back to selling their best players to their rivals five years after RVP left.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Lallana injured of course. Please nuke international football.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Xabi posted:

Lallana injured of course. Please nuke international football.

gently caress England and gently caress international football forever.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EvilHawk posted:

gently caress England and gently caress international football forever.

You'll be fine, United will lose to West Brom because Faillaini Smalling and Jones died, Pogba is dying, and Zlatan is suspended. Also they have 9 games in April. With Rojo and Bailly hoping to stay in one piece

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'd take Alexis in a heartbeat. I'd love to see what happens to the banner of his dogs from the Arsenal faithful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Sanchez opposite of Hazard would be insane.

• Locked thread