Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Meat Wagon posted:

I knew things were bad but gently caress me, the last year+ has been loving wank for us. I hope Hughes goes at the end of the season.

Beating the teams below uis, sometimes beating the teams above, mostly getting draws against them. It kinda seems like exactly what you would expect from Stoke tbh. It would be nice to win more 'big games' I guess but at the same time not making GBS threads our pants on the way to the championship like Newcastle or Villa is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

The first ever (-1) - (-1) draw.

It can't be worse than Villa v Stoke, the game with 0 shots on target. The game that got me to call dignitas so I could die with dignity.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bea Nanner posted:

so i agree, but i dont think he should be the scapegoat. it's really an astounding collective failure.

I think the turning point for Wenger disappearing up his own rear end was a few years ago when he had Steve Bould take over defensive coaching and they started defending really well and then Wenger got mad somebody other than him got praise for tactics at arsenal and drummed Bould out of the club.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blue footed boobie posted:

This is a Byolante classic.

It was on 5 live football daily at the time, was ages back.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/05/arsene-wenger-and-steve-bould_n_2809779.html that mentions ornstein saying it on 5 live

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Tancredi Palmieri and exclusive reporting on prem affairs by a italian paper, I trust this!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Thirteenth Step posted:

Apart from this season (probably)

the number of simultaneous hilarious meltdowns required for that would be spectacular

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

If you leave your zone to stand where a player is then you're man-marking.

Proper use of zonal marking puts players in the best positions to intercept the ball. Bellerin "standing nowhere" is in a cover position for an overhit cross/backpost 2nd phase.

Complaining that players aren't being marked by a zonal defence is honestly the stupidest loving criticism you can come up with, congrats. It's not like there aren't actual flaws in Arsenal's defending there.

A place I would put a person when Zonal Marking: The far post

A place Arsene Wenger, multimillionaire football manager doesn't put a player when Zonal Marking: The far post

If you gently caress up your zonal marking so bad half the goal face is totally open and getting flooded by the other team's biggest boys you done hosed up.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

A lot of managers don't do this now. I think the argument is that it impedes the goalkeeper/they can't stop much anyway/they are more effective elsewhere or something idk. I would put someone there but I'm old school and haven't done any maths

From a corner relying on the keeper to defend the far post seems really dumb because he will also need to be competing with the initial ball into the box. If you concede that battle then no amount of statistics is going to save you from a talented header of the ball putting it into the bottom far corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

sassassin posted:

It seems dumb but a lot of teams more organised than Arsenal aren't putting men on one or both posts.

I wonder if removing players from the far post impacts football. Thats something Tony Pulis is infamous for exploiting, I wonder how his team of big strong lads are going this season. To the table guys!

• Locked thread