Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I had calmed down after last night until I saw that the March thread had begun in February instead of ten days in as is tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

PirateBob posted:

Liverpool's wages rose from £166m (2015) to £208m (2016)

69% of turnover

How did it rise that much in one year? What shitlords are getting all that money? :confused:

Not sure on the exact details but that summer we trimmed a lot of deadweight and replaced them with (also terrible) first teams. The only notable leavers were Gerrard and Sterling, we added Milner (free but fairly high wages), Ings, Firmino, Clyne, and Benteke. I'm fairly sure there were some contract extensions in that time as well.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

They'll ban the both of them (probably for four matches each), but had Zlatan not retaliated Mings probably could have argued that it was accidental.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

lotta games in hand surrounding fourth place pool

There are but IIRC most of the top six have to play each other on multiple occasions (isn't Arsenal's game in had v United?) whereas we only have to play City.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

gtkor posted:

Yeah but the top six are basically the only teams Liverpool play well against. More of a negative than a positive at this point.

More the fact that they are going to take points off each other.

Spurs: Chelsea, Arsenal, United
City: Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea
United, Chelsea, Arsenal, United
Arsenal: Chelsea, City, United

So that's a decent number of points that each of our rivals are guaranteed to drop in the run in (and importantly, apart from City at least two games against the others), so games in hand don't really mean as much.

Like you said we're fairly poo poo against the other teams but the games in hand really aren't as much as a bonus as people are saying.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

webmeister posted:

United are also playing Everton, away to Burnley, and three relegation-desperate teams (Sunderland, Palace and Swansea) as well as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs in the run-in. Wouldn't be surprised to see another seventh-placed finish

Don't United face some serious financial penalties from sponsorship deals if they miss out on CL football in consecutive seasons? I seem to remember it being a big part of the Chevrolet deal.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Cuban Chowder Factory posted:

Spurs do not play Chelsea in the league again this season...

Oh my bad that's the Fa cup of course, I just looked at the fixture list

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Every team that goes deep into the European competitions complains about fixture scheduling (myself included), and fans of all their rivals laugh at them (myself included). Especially if you're competing on 3+ fronts. I think there was a point last season when if we went further in the FA cup there wouldn't have been enough weeks to fit in all the fixtures without moving a bunch of stuff around.

Yes other leagues (particularly La Liga) do a lot to assist the likes of Real and Barca, but also those teams basically run the league so can dictate terms.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It obviously doesn't work all the time, but IIRC La Liga are a lot more flexible around kick off times etc. giving teams in Europe the maximum time between fixtures (usually)

Dunban posted:

No, other leagues just don't have a retarded cup system like England

That's true and it'd be nice if the League Cup was wrapped up by the New Year (around the same time as a winter break) so you're not playing two-three months in four competitions.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

trem_two posted:

The Mirror have a story (with no legitimate quotes backing up the info) tomorrow claiming that Wenger is announcing a contract extension this coming week.

Looking forward to the Arsenal Fan TV videos.

Called it weeks ago. Allegedly he's already been looking at transfer targets in the summer. He's far too proud to walk and the board too weak to sack him.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

blue footed boobie posted:

How this is being reported is kind of interesting. The Mirror is saying he's staying, but the gist of the article is that Wenger wants to stay. The telegraph is saying that Wenger will tell Arsenal that he wants to stay. The Guardian is saying that Arsenal are already looking for a new manager, in spite of the fact that Wenger wants to stay. So I guess what I'm saying here is that it looks like Wengy wants to stay.

From what I've read the ball is very much in Wenger's court. Kroenke doesn't seem to have any real desire to replace him (because he consistently gets top four) so if Arsene says he wants to stay that's what will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Xabi posted:

Lallana injured of course. Please nuke international football.

gently caress England and gently caress international football forever.

• Locked thread