Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao Wenger benched Alexis for having the audacity to criticize his awful team mates for being awful

Sounds like Alexis isn't a team player and was rightly dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm gonna side with the player who actually cares and cries with his head under a hood in front of the dugout like a massive loving attention-seeking baby instead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Get some perspective, mate. Some of us had Bob Bradley managing our team this season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hadji murad posted:

If you know how to properly decipher the Tanc this means he's getting a raise and an extension.

Enough about his dressing room situation, is he leaving the job or not?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

He is more like 27 imo. He's been playing professionally for like 8 years or something

He was 6' when he was "10" playing in Belgium.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's zonal marking.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is the strategy to mark the zones where nobody is standing

If you leave your zone to stand where a player is then you're man-marking.

Proper use of zonal marking puts players in the best positions to intercept the ball. Bellerin "standing nowhere" is in a cover position for an overhit cross/backpost 2nd phase.

Complaining that players aren't being marked by a zonal defence is honestly the stupidest loving criticism you can come up with, congrats. It's not like there aren't actual flaws in Arsenal's defending there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

A place I would put a person when Zonal Marking: The far post

A lot of managers don't do this now. I think the argument is that it impedes the goalkeeper/they can't stop much anyway/they are more effective elsewhere or something idk. I would put someone there but I'm old school and haven't done any maths or analysis.

Xabi posted:

Zonal marking isn't very smart if you only have one zone where you stick all the players IMO.

Agreed.

The problem with the picture isn't that West Brom players are unmarked, it's that 3 or 4 Arsenal players aren't doing their jobs properly, and the West Brom players did their jobs really well (Fletcher did great work disrupting the goalkeeper even when Cech was on the field. Ospina got shut down completely).

If Arsenal had tried man-marking you'd see a few of them lying on the floor or trying to pull back players because they're too small and weak to compete that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

From a corner relying on the keeper to defend the far post seems really dumb because he will also need to be competing with the initial ball into the box. If you concede that battle then no amount of statistics is going to save you from a talented header of the ball putting it into the bottom far corner.

It seems dumb but a lot of teams more organised than Arsenal aren't putting men on one or both posts.

• Locked thread