Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ChrisBTY posted:

This thread has taught me that 3 1/2 years is plenty of time to get un-bored with something.

Does Salty make custom tournaments anymore? Or even do anything? I remember one week he had a world wrestling competition, all the fighters were professional wrestlers, the background was a wrestling arena, the music was all wrestler introductions, it was fun. And after the tournament he would take requests for fights.

I honestly figured that he would shut the system down once it lost its initial popularity, I'm shocked that there have been over three years of DBZ vs Anime_character_43980 fights since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCobaiiiiiiiiin
Oct 19, 2011

SaltyBet is infinitely better when you invite a couple of friends over and make a drinking game out of it. The salt is real.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

Does Salty make custom tournaments anymore? Or even do anything? I remember one week he had a world wrestling competition, all the fighters were professional wrestlers, the background was a wrestling arena, the music was all wrestler introductions, it was fun. And after the tournament he would take requests for fights.

I honestly figured that he would shut the system down once it lost its initial popularity, I'm shocked that there have been over three years of DBZ vs Anime_character_43980 fights since.

I don't think Salty does much, but illum members can do custom tourney brackets now, and instead of taking requests and doing it himself, exhibs are handled by illum members putting requests in the match queue.

Judging by the number of gold names I see, dude is pulling in several hundred bucks a month, so I can't really fault him for not taking it down.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Thank you so much for writing that OP. I never watched enough to notice the recurring characters (in my view it's been this kaleidoscope like experience) so I died laughing reading that.

Is the rule still "Always bet on small"?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

mycot posted:

Thank you so much for writing that OP. I never watched enough to notice the recurring characters (in my view it's been this kaleidoscope like experience) so I died laughing reading that.

Is the rule still "Always bet on small"?

Hitbox is a crapshoot; a lot of well-made characters will actually either consciously aim for the opponent's hitbox or just have hurtboxes large enough to hit tiny characters. Against anything without good AI or thorough hurtboxes, they can potentially be AI-breakers, but a lot of them don't have very sturdy AI of their own, leaving them kind of lacking overall.

That said: Always bet on Live-A-Live sprites.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This might just be a fever dream, but I vaguely remember one fighter who was just a giant duck. It had no frames of animation and took up most of the screen, but it was pretty amazing.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This might just be a fever dream, but I vaguely remember one fighter who was just a giant duck. It had no frames of animation and took up most of the screen, but it was pretty amazing.

Hato Sabure? Its a giant dove cookie.

I occasionally try to get back into saltybet as a thing to do when I'm bored but really dislike the tier system they implemented a while back. I can kinda see why they did it, but half of the fun for me was just the total despair or elation you would get from watching totally one-sided matches. X-tier is a thing but comes up way too infrequently.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I think the tier system saved my interest in it, otherwise it's 90% one-sided stomps, 9% actual close fights, and 1% ridiculous upsets like Killer Whale losing to that trash version of Dio.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad SaltyBet is still around.

this owns

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

KataraniSword posted:

Hitbox is a crapshoot; a lot of well-made characters will actually either consciously aim for the opponent's hitbox or just have hurtboxes large enough to hit tiny characters. Against anything without good AI or thorough hurtboxes, they can potentially be AI-breakers, but a lot of them don't have very sturdy AI of their own, leaving them kind of lacking overall.
As far as I know you can't get the opponent's hitbox size in scripts, so it's impossible to make an AI that consciously aims for the opponent's hitbox. The ones that seem to are just acting randomly or cover wide areas with their attacks. I'd love to be proved wrong though, just to know what way was used to size up the enemy.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

The Mexican Saint Seiya charachter, epitomized by Yuri di AAAAAAAA are my favorite Salty Bet fighters ever.

Other than maybe the little trumpet girl that play Amazing Grace for like 5mins if she ever manages to win a round.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hortism posted:

The Mexican Saint Seiya charachter, epitomized by Yuri di AAAAAAAA are my favorite Salty Bet fighters ever.

Other than maybe the little trumpet girl that play Amazing Grace for like 5mins if she ever manages to win a round.

Yuri di AAAAAAAA and Dutch 'OOOOOOOO' from the AvP beat-em-up is the best and loudest team in exhibs.

Sadly, I don't see a lot of Blue Eyes White Karin / Master Sakura anymore, which is a shame. Bada boom, realest girls in the room.

How you doin' ?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Popeye uppercutting a small anime girl as the Star-Spangled Banner waves in the background will always bring a tear to my eye.

Did they ever tone down the number of obscure, ultra-powerful anime characters, or do I still have to sit through five rounds of Jojos versus Tohous to see a single match of Captain Caveman versus Ash Williams?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Does anyone know where I can download Yuri di AAAAAAA?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Hortism posted:

Haha I forgot about the trumpet girl, god drat. I love Saltybet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Omega tom hanks still op?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I forgot about Classic cyrax and his fatalities that could go on for over two minutes. Even when he blows up the earth he is still fatalizing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHKM6B0OqRw

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
my favourite saltybet moment was the first(?) time ronald faced off with aleti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9FinDQGxEg

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChickenHeart posted:

Did they ever tone down the number of obscure, ultra-powerful anime characters, or do I still have to sit through five rounds of Jojos versus Tohous to see a single match of Captain Caveman versus Ash Williams?

If anything it's worse now. Jojos, Touhous, and DBZs as far as the eye can see. To say nothing of the more anime-minded fighting games like Guilty Gear, Blazblue, or poo poo like Arcana Heart.

The oldies and goodies are still there, though, and come up pretty frequently in post-tournament exhibitions, assuming that some dumbass didn't frontload the entire queue with his dickwaving trash fights that are just the same two characters against literally every other character in the roster.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Omega tom hanks still op?

Not as much as you'd think. Or rather, he's just as OP as before but the spectrum of loving broken has expanded far beyond his horizons.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, honest question here.

Does OrochiGoku9000 have an SA account?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Always bet on Goku-hell

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

If y'all like SaltyBet (and you should, it's fun), you might also want to check out a site called SpriteClub, a new site created by some SaltyBet veterans. I'm enjoying my time on it. Basic idea of betting on Mugen matches is the same, but lots of positive differences after that. The only real negative currently is it's very small in terms of number of bettors (seriously, more than 10 people betting at once is "busy" right now) and viewers due to the site being very new and a lack of promotion. Just about every other aspect is like SaltyBet on steroids. The basic description can be found here, but the biggest things to note IMO would be the following:

- All features, including requesting exhibs, are free
- You can specify the stage and song for your exhib requests
- Large variety of match types (1v1, 2v1, 2v2 standard tag, and up to 4v4 King of Fighters-style tag, usually same division but not always)
- Much more frequent roster updates (usually on weekends, and the placement matches are always 1v1)
- More frequent betting on live FGC events
- Way fewer potato characters (I suppose that could be a positive or negative, depending on your point of view)

Mason Dixon fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 4, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm terrible at placing bets because I'll always vote for whoever the coolest looking character is when in reality it's always the lovingly detailed creepy little girl that will win every time

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

InnercityGriot posted:

Killer Whale losing to that trash version of Dio.

i made well over a million on that match and have been coasting on the leftover winnings from that for like 3 years rofl

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

InnercityGriot posted:

I think the tier system saved my interest in it, otherwise it's 90% one-sided stomps, 9% actual close fights, and 1% ridiculous upsets like Killer Whale losing to that trash version of Dio.

That single fight saved me from a life in the salt mines.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Songbearer posted:

I'm terrible at placing bets because I'll always vote for whoever the coolest looking character is when in reality it's always the lovingly detailed creepy little girl that will win every time

This is the biggest thing that killed my hype for SB. Somewhere along the line it went from "Haha look at these goofy-rear end Mugen characters duking it out, what a hoot" to "here come two more identical anime children, strap in for an exciting 5 minutes of seizure flashing and particle effect diarrhea." 80% of all matches now it's just pair of bugeyed touhous filling the screen with projectiles until one outpaces the other's regen or burns through all their bonus lifebars.

It used to be fun because there was no way of knowing whether the goku you bet on was a lemon, the salt didn't mean anything, and it was more or less just a fun place to chill with other losers and watch that broke-necked bike kid do nothing for 2 rounds before busting out a clutch win against South American Vegeta.

Now people are takimg it super seriously like it's fantasy football, there's statistics, people can pay to buff or nerf characters, and the noble potato has all but gone extinct. Meanwhile chat is baldfacedly cranking it to children and shouting down anyone who brings up the fact it's creepy as poo poo. The inmates are running the asylum and it's really shameful and embarrassing to watch happen.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Youtube Poop Robotnik's one and only match was the highest point of Saltybet.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cicadas! posted:

Now people are takimg it super seriously like it's fantasy football, there's statistics, people can pay to buff or nerf characters, and the noble potato has all but gone extinct. Meanwhile chat is baldfacedly cranking it to children and shouting down anyone who brings up the fact it's creepy as poo poo. The inmates are running the asylum and it's really shameful and embarrassing to watch happen.

Are you on SaltyBet After Dark or something, because the worst I've seen it get are ironic(?) "always/never bet on mai waifu11" jokes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well this Pokita vs Borddin match froze the game. RIP

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordja posted:

Are you on SaltyBet After Dark or something, because the worst I've seen it get are ironic(?) "always/never bet on mai waifu11" jokes.
hint: he's exaggerating 'cause he's mad anime exists

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

yeah uh I'm seriously confused by this, I have literally never seen any of the "unironically cranking it to children" poo poo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So this is kind of like pro wrestling for arcade demo screens?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Vile another example of "get in the robot, idiot", as he seem very weak until he summoned his power armor and just wasted the girl from Puyo Puyo.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite saltybet thing is that there's like five or six dudes who have the same name and they're all trash except for one, who is impossibly, unbelievably broken, and there's no way to tell them apart from each other until the match starts.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

So this is kind of like pro wrestling for arcade demo screens?

More like cockfighting for arcade demo screens.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grapplejack posted:

My favorite saltybet thing is that there's like five or six dudes who have the same name and they're all trash except for one, who is impossibly, unbelievably broken, and there's no way to tell them apart from each other until the match starts.

Tier is a pretty clear clue outside of exhibitions; a S-tier Goku is going to suck a lot less than a B-tier one.

Many people hate this fact because it makes the shameless curbstomps less frequent.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does the Goon Saltybet IRC room still exist?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I still pop in every now and again. I enjoyed it back before stats were kept. The character roster also feels way too large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Esroc posted:

Does the Goon Saltybet IRC room still exist?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new and hip discord room now

• Locked thread