Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Either australia has labeled something else avocado or ya'll are broken.

Avocados are broken. loving gross snot.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair, Haas avocados are the only good ones, and I doubt they get them in Aus.

Florida avocados are bland nothingness in comparison.

Unfortuantly Australia has a big Avocado farming industry. Any variety you want, we have them. They should plow the whole loving lot of it back into the soil and grow something worthwhile. Like spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Avocados are broken. loving gross snot.

Unfortuantly Australia has a big Avocado farming industry. Any variety you want, we have them. They should plow the whole loving lot of it back into the soil and grow something worthwhile. Like spiders.

How long have they been growing them? Avocado trees don't bear good fruit for years (all those stringy disgusing avocados).

Good avocados are like the best thing ever.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Avocados are awesome. One of the things I miss from living in FL was making awesome guac with my Dad and eating it by the pound.

They don't belong on pizza, though. Tacos yes. Burgers yes. Many other things? Yes. Pizza no.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Avacados are the devil.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

How long have they been growing them? Avocado trees don't bear good fruit for years (all those stringy disgusing avocados).

Good avocados are like the best thing ever.

For years, it's not a new industry.

The only good avocado is the one nowhere near my plate. Or in the bin

quote:

Burgers yes

Anyone puts that poo poo near my burger gets cut.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm going to stuff avocados into the intake valves on all your rotaries CT

And also replace your subaru rod bearings with avocado skins

"but rotaries don't have..."

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair, Haas avocados are the only good ones, and I doubt they get them in Aus.

Florida avocados are bland nothingness in comparison.

I don't know about Australia, but New Zealand has amazing avocados that are dirt loving cheap. Like 5 for a dollar cheap, and thats even in NZ fake money.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I am not certain there is a single native Californian who hates avocados. I didn't know hating them was even possible.
This is like hating kittens or something.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's a texture thing for me. I'm not a fan of the mushy texture. I'm not huge guacamole fan either but I'm coming around on that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

It's a texture thing for me. I'm not a fan of the mushy texture. I'm not huge guacamole fan either but I'm coming around on that.

An avocado should be creamy, not mushy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

scrubs season six posted:

Funny, my gf lived in Phoenix for ~5 years and I'm not sure she'd be as complimentary about the transportation situation there. But more funny just an hour ago we were talking about moving to SLC (from Reno) due to a job opportunity so if you have any general insights on that I'd be interested. I did a six week field course out of Park City and we went through/by SLC quite a few times so I'm somewhat familiar with the temps (about the same in the summer, cooler in the winter) and inversions that are (expectedly) far shittier than Reno.

Surprised to hear about active lane assist on a Corolla.

Late on replying but work travel and a ball busting week has kept me sidelined.

I will say a few things: I am a Salt Lake native, born and raised. I live in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley between the main city center and Provo/Utah County. It is a smaller city with a lot of individuality and cool stuff to go around. If you are the outdoorsy type then you will never bore from things to do. Park City is far different from Salt Lake proper but I do love PC and a dream I have had since I was younger was to retire filthy rich and live out the remainder of life in Park City. Traffic is kind of meh, but nothing compared to what other cities experience. It is funny when people talk about how traffic is "SOOO BAD" when it actually isn't if you lived in a place with horrible traffic. The drivers suck. The roads are maintained to a category I would say is "meh". Snow plowing has improved a lot I feel over the last decade than time gone by. If you wanted to you can probably get by with good all seasons like the majority of people do here. Dedicated snow tires is the better choice.
The state is really kicking rear end and has a strong economy, and has had a strong economy even through the mire of crap we have had for the last decade. The people are great I think. Good news is there is a lot of Mormons (myself included :toot:). Bad news is there is a lot of Mormons. There is a lot of weird cultural quirks but not everyone is LDS (Mormon) and you have a good chance of finding friends. A lot of people here are career and goal driven and generally try to be good people. Many are focused on raising families and adhere to a lot of traditional moral values. Culturally a lot of the state is Conservative/Republican leaning but if you actually talk to people and hear more about what they identify as core values and stuff they are more Libertarian but just have no idea that is what their beliefs should be classified as. There are good places to plant and call home. There are equally crap places in the valley that suck for reasons like accessibility/crime/infrastructure etc. The air quality is poor at times during the winter but if regular storms are happening it isn't too bad. Like I said living at the south end of the valley I have a bit of wind that keeps the soupy stuff more central in the valley. If you want to know more ask away.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

I am not certain there is a single native Californian who hates avocados. I didn't know hating them was even possible.

I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them, either. I like guac with chips, but I don't like it in/on everything like everyone else seems to like. Born and raised in the bay area :shrug:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

nm posted:

Yeah for real, I eat avocado straight out of the skin with some lime/lemon juice and salt. Granted we get amazing avocado here, and when a 'cado is bad it's terrible. You have fondle a lot of them in the store to get the feeling for when they're just right.

An ex's family hated guacamole because they were all picky eaters and didn't like the texture - I made them a bowl of my custom recipe and they ate the whole drat thing in an evening. My secret was that I threw in some finely-diced celery... you can't see or taste it, but it gives enough crispy texture. I have successfully done it with other texture-averse people since then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

An avocado should be creamy, not mushy.

An Avocado should be throw out

Oddly I had a cat that was addicted to avocado. Bugger would bin raid and open cupboards / fridges to get at one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

texture-averse people
Not strictly related, but one of my weird "things" is not having gravy with a roast dinner. I like the combination of different flavours and textures, and never understand why people want to mask that with sticking gravy over the whole affair.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
This morning I woke up at 6 am to drive to Austin from Dallas to interview for a job that would pay more than double what I make now for the same job, except it's for a start up that has less than 60 employees and is growing quickly. I'm still going to school so the fact that they even approached me even though I don't have a degree yet and am qualifying solely based on my work experience is pretty awesome. The company culture is a great fit, they have fantastic benefits, and everyone that works there gets equity.

There are no downsides except Austin traffic but I'd bypass that by living close enough to bike to work, and the small matter of my girlfriend staying in Dallas for a few months if I get the gig. It's not a certain I'll get it but the interviews went extremely well and I'm just giddy at the thought of making $60k-$70k after working retail my whole life making like, 35 tops.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Not strictly related, but one of my weird "things" is not having gravy with a roast dinner. I like the combination of different flavours and textures, and never understand why people want to mask that with sticking gravy over the whole affair.

Gravy goes on the potatoes. The only things beef needs are salt and pepper.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Gravy goes on the potatoes. The only things beef needs are salt and pepper.

Sometimes the gravy is good enough that everything else on the plate just becomes a gravy delivery system. :v:

Also, good luck Biodome!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you go to Culver's you get the pork tenderloin, not the burger. Duh.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Biodome posted:

This morning I woke up at 6 am to drive to Austin from Dallas to interview for a job that would pay more than double what I make now for the same job, except it's for a start up that has less than 60 employees and is growing quickly. I'm still going to school so the fact that they even approached me even though I don't have a degree yet and am qualifying solely based on my work experience is pretty awesome. The company culture is a great fit, they have fantastic benefits, and everyone that works there gets equity.

There are no downsides except Austin traffic but I'd bypass that by living close enough to bike to work, and the small matter of my girlfriend staying in Dallas for a few months if I get the gig. It's not a certain I'll get it but the interviews went extremely well and I'm just giddy at the thought of making $60k-$70k after working retail my whole life making like, 35 tops.

Good luck man, sounds like a sweet gig

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Locator posted:

Sometimes the gravy is good enough that everything else on the plate just becomes a gravy delivery system. :v:

That's stew, and absolutely okay. I love stew, my recipe is basically "throw beef and veg in slow cooker, drown it in beer, wait 12 hours" anything goes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hello thread!
Two things:
Guns are cool, especially good ones.
Avacodos are good, but not on everything. A good fresh guacamole on something in a tortilla is pdg.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Chicago No Fun Zone,

California is an all no fun zone. Those of us in the middle have to get creative.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like how there are only 202 people in the "I hate avocado" facebook group that CT just joined.

If you try hard enough, you can find people who agree with you about anything on the internet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

I like how there are only 202 people in the "I hate avocado" facebook group that CT just joined.

If you try hard enough, you can find people who agree with you about anything on the internet.

202 broken people.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Avocado is the loving best.

Finally got my washing machine fixed (under warranty, 3 week wait :rolleyes:) only to find the probable cause of the issue is the ridiculous water pressure at this new house. The guy had no problem fixing it all under warranty but then advised me to go get some pressure reducing valves. Two hardware stores and $145 later I can finally wash clothes. I hope.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

jamal posted:

there's probably more otakukin on there internet than people who joined avocado hate groups on facebook.

just think about that for a bit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

202 broken people.

202 people who are right in thinking avocado tastes like rear end you mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

there's probably more otakukin on there internet

What in the Lord's name is that?

Wait, I dont think I want to know. Not googling

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nm posted:

202 broken people.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

InitialDave posted:

This is because roast dinners are bland as hell

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I have now seen two of the four Bugatti Atlantics produced - happened to be in Paris when Ralph Lauren's collection was at the Louvre, and Petersen has one as part of their Bugatti exhibit right now.

Since nobody knows where the fourth is (it is presumed destroyed), I feel like I should track down the third and see it so I'll have seen all of the surviving Atlantics. What an odd quest. The third car is owned by a private collector so it may not be easy to find.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So last week I had a neighbor directly behind my townhouse move in, and my cable went out at the exact same time. First problem I've had of any kind in literally 10 years. So I called it in, sure enough - my cable has been installed and working for so long that there was no current label on the wire, just a really old one that fell down in the dirt. So the installer assumed it was unused, cut it and installed my neighbor's cable where mine was. So my tech installed a splitter and got me back up and running.

Just looked at my bill, and they're trying to charge me $70 for the service call. In what universe does that make any sense of any kind? Now I realize why everyone else complains about them, I've been so lucky till now. All I've had is fast internet speeds and continuous uptime for a decade.

Oh well, I'm laughing more than complaining, I'm sure they'll erase it off my bill. But just the fact that I have to call in to argue about it at all is annoying.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

slothrop posted:

Avocado is the loving best.

Finally got my washing machine fixed (under warranty, 3 week wait :rolleyes:) only to find the probable cause of the issue is the ridiculous water pressure at this new house. The guy had no problem fixing it all under warranty but then advised me to go get some pressure reducing valves. Two hardware stores and $145 later I can finally wash clothes. I hope.

That's annoying but I'm glad it's fixed. I'd love some better water pressure in our apartment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This is because roast dinners are bland as hell

We can argue about pineapple on a pizza. We can argue about how poo poo avocado is. But you do NOT diss roast dinners mate - Roast dinners are loving awesome and that's the bottom line... even lovely roast dinners are full of flavour and goodness!

Roast lamb and veggies is basic as gently caress but it's drat good poo poo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Quit enjoying something the way you like it because it's not the way i like it :argh:

Be gone, beef snobs, BE GONE!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The only time i'll eat avocado is when its in sushi because it goes really nicely with smoked salmon. Otherwise i cant stand the poo poo.

As for texture averse, I cant stomach cucumber or zucchini. they're nothing more than watery lovely flavoured impoverished ladies sex toys.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
what about avocado and smoked salmon on a bagel

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Quit enjoying something the way you like it because it's not the way i like it :argh:

Be gone, beef snobs, BE GONE!

I NEED THIS.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goes great with a little bit of ketchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
I've never been a fan of Avocado. Kinda bland with an odd texture, I mean I'll eat it but won't go out of my way for it. On that principle I avoided guacamole. Finally had some, wow it's a totally different food.

In other news just finished booking everything for our Gold Coast trip next month. Can't wait!

• Locked thread