Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

rdb posted:

Living in the present, let's see... my 15 month old son died a month ago and it still feels like I stood in front of a cannon, my employment contract expires tomorrow so I will be officially unemployed, car was in an accident and still not fixed so my wife and I only have one vehicle, and I had been riding my motorcycle but the rear tire corded and the tire changer/balancer I ordered a month ago hasn't come in.

Oddly enough I do have money but for all the wrong reasons. Retention bonuses and life insurance. Would give it all back in a second just to hug my kid :(

I'm done won't bitch again.

Wow, condolences brother. PM if you need anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh my god I'm so so sorry for your loss :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every paycheck is a struggle and I'm one random $200 bill away from total collapse.

That is why I work a boring stable computer janitor job now. I loved being a baker, would do it until I died, but I now make triple what I did working in front of an oven six days a week, and no longer have to worry about a busted ankle or a busted windshield ending in eviction.

rdb posted:

Thanks, and don't try to imagine it. And don't worry about what to say because there are no words.

Jesus, man. I'm sorry to hear you and your family are going through such a hard time. No words is right.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus christ rbd thats rough.

This was work today.

They're Pine cones. They can weigh up to 18kg (40lb) and they grow at the top of a 30-45m tree, and then drop without any warning.

Australia: Where even the pine trees want to kill you.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God damnit rdb... vent as much as you want.

Ferremit posted:

At first I was like: "Why would you put a pineapple on top of a gas tank?"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Condolences rbd, it hurts just to read that. As little as it means we're here for you.

"Consider debt" means finance and credit cards right? Not house? I need to find a new deal on the mortgage but there's only 5k in debt in the rest of the household and I'm hoping to pay that off by Christmas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was going to bitch about being in a minor fender-bender, in the parking lot at work this morning, and that my car needs a new rear bumper again, and that it's my third incident within three years, so my rates are going to go up.

Then I read your post, rdb. I've got absolutely nothing legitimate to bitch over, all of my problems are incredibly minor. My condolences, man.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

rdb posted:

Living in the present, let's see... my 15 month old son died a month ago and it still feels like I stood in front of a cannon, my employment contract expires tomorrow so I will be officially unemployed, car was in an accident and still not fixed so my wife and I only have one vehicle, and I had been riding my motorcycle but the rear tire corded and the tire changer/balancer I ordered a month ago hasn't come in.

Oddly enough I do have money but for all the wrong reasons. Retention bonuses and life insurance. Would give it all back in a second just to hug my kid :(

In the grand scheme of things you have every right to bitch as much as you want to, that's a truly heartbreaking thing to have happened man. So sorry.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

drat, rdb, my condolences that sounds terrible.

blk posted:

Dang, I identify a lot with this.......

IANAT but it's if your home problems and work problems sound super correlated. I became better at compartmentalising home and work life when I moved in with my now wife, and I was very lucky she has always tried to be supportive and understanding, but work still greatly affected my home life.

If you and your wife don't rearrange your lifestyle to allow you to find work you can enjoy, the chances of saving your marriage are much lower. If your job is one of the things driving a wedge into your marriage then staying in that job for the sake of your marriage seems counter productive.

I used to constantly fret that I was going to grenade my career, and doing that was going to be a catalyst is destroying my relationship, when in reality it was my stress about work which was a far greater pressure on our relationship.

Good luck man.

Edit: FWIW, being poor as a kid never affected me, but my dad was a much less pleasant person to live with when he was stressed out of his mind trying to keep a struggling company afloat. Your kids will appreciate having a happy dad.

stump fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 30, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Goddamn rdb that's rough as gently caress. Condolances and please vent as much as you want.

bolind posted:

At first I was like: "Why would you put a pineapple on top of a gas tank?"

Stop the spiders from stealing it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rdb posted:

Holy poo poo dude. :glomp:

I can't even imagine what it's like to lose a kid. I fall apart for a couple of weeks anytime a friend dies, I'm pretty sure losing a kid would land me in a mental hospital for a few months.

everdave posted:

The only thing keeping me alive is my kids

Kinda the opposite for me. I know my mom would off herself if something happened to me.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Me and my wife had saved 6 months of expenses and then my mum died and suddenly our consumer debt was gone so all I can say is I'm extremely blessed otherwise I would be in the same boat as a lot of people

Apparently only 5% of Americans have that much in savings though they which makes me feel a lot better

Dave Ramsey listener spotted. Dude usually gives out some pretty solid advice.

... I have $5 in savings. And only because that's the minimum balance.

Sadly, I'm also paying a $5/mo fee for my account, when many banks and CUs give you a free account if you have direct deposit. But between sadbrains and taking much of Jan + Feb off, I'm now on Chexsystems, which will prevent me from opening an account anywhere that does a decent background check (another bank account got closed thanks to being overdrawn for so long). I'm stuck unless I want to go to to a bank that specializes on focusing on people with bad credit/bad bank account history (such as Woodforest), and their fees add up in a hurry. I'm with a very well established credit union (CUTX, which Darchangel may have heard of; formerly Dallas Teachers Credit Union, I joined as a student in the 1990s), they generally have fantastic customer/member service, and they have ATMs that accept cash deposits (with instant credit) within a 15 minute drive from home and much of my work area.

LloydDobler posted:

And I'm not even that great myself, I come from bad money habit stock and it's been hell to outgrow it, even at 45 years old I'm still a work in process.

I'm kind of the opposite. Dad is a CPA (well, was... he goes on cruises more than he works now, but he's also 70), and while I've never asked directly if he's prepared for retirement, I do have a good idea of how much he takes home a year... and I know his house is paid for, my stepmom's car is paid for, and while he always has a newish car, it's nothing extravagant for someone who makes what he does. I think right now he's driving a '16 Honda Accord EX-L; probably the most expensive car he's had would be a tossup between his last Acura (whatever the largest model was in 2012 or so?) or the G35 he had when they first came out. Pretty sure his net worth is well into the 7 figures.

Mom used to be pretty good with money, but as she's gotten older, she burns through it as quick as she gets it. But she's also making a whopping :10bux: an hour these days, plus a bit of social security. Stepdad is generally good with money (so long as you keep him away from stocks and day trading), but he and I bring home about the same amount of money a year (gross, anyway... mileage deductions get my taxable income down below the poverty line, and I shudder to think what I spend on gas - I'd guess about $4-6k/year on gas alone). My stepdad has been in my life since I was 5, and tried to teach me to be frugal. But... mom and stepdad both debt free. Mom did the bankruptcy bit when she couldn't work for several years (she could barely walk for a long time, she now has a matching pair of titanium hips), but she was living off of credit cards when she couldn't work, and just transferring the balances back and forth until her minimum payments got to the point where she couldn't make them.

Me? I burn through it, and don't really even know how - the only luxuries I have are reasonably fast internet (100mbit @ $40/month, but that's the base plan for TWC/Charter/Spectrum/whateverthefucktheyarenow in my area), Hulu ($8/month), Amazon Prime ($100/yr), and a fairly large apartment (for a 1 bedroom - but it's run down and not in a great area - rent is reasonable though), but I'm definitely one paycheck away from everything falling apart. Upside is I only have about $2k in credit card debt, and ~$15k in student loan debt (the majority of which is subsidized federal loans), so I'm not in that bad of shape in terms of debt. I'm thinking about trying to put the student loans on a forbearance for a bit so I can catch up on everything else for a few months, especially the maintenance debt on my car. Car finally stomped its feet and bitched at me a bit tonight, the clutch no longer disengages, so I'm off to the junkyard tomorrow to find a pedal (and possibly the pushrod between the pedal and master cylinder).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

We just had a visit from Princess Anne, apparently the itinerary for her visit was locked down months ago. Today security turned up, demanded we open the trays to the photocopiers because of bombs and then kicked up a fuss because we're nothing to do with printing nor do we have keys for the loving paper trays. So she rolled up and was supposed to be doing A at X time, B at another time, C following etc but she didn't do any of it and just wandered around the place ignoring the stupid poo poo set up for her. I kinda like the royal family a little more now. :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

cakesmith handyman posted:

"Consider debt" means finance and credit cards right? Not house? I need to find a new deal on the mortgage but there's only 5k in debt in the rest of the household and I'm hoping to pay that off by Christmas.

Assuming we have nothing major explode, all of our non-mortgage debt should be gone within 16-18 months from now. Credit card has about $1k rolling on it (aka pay it off, then back up to there every month with groceries/gas/etc.). Line of credit has a few thousand on it, but that's from replacing windows in the house, and its getting paid off in the next month or so. I think we have around 6k left on the truck (done in December), and 10k or so on the car (done next July). I also have 12k on my snowmobile (which I've driven more than my truck this winter), but that'll be eaten away quick once the trucks done and the cars done. We doubled the truck payment recently to get it paid off more quickly. Once its done, everything we were paying on it is going to end up going towards the car, so that will have it done within 6 months of the truck. Then I can pump it all into the sled and chew that up within 6-8 months.

Its nice to have a plan.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks all. I really just need time and I try to focus on all the positive memories. Sometimes emotion gets the best of me and I just want the world to stop but it doesn't.

Unfortunately I am not the only one out there that's experienced this and I do have people IRL to talk with. I can't discuss the details beyond what already made it to Facebook. It was pneumococcal meningitis and he was vaccinated.

My advice to those with kids, just give them a hug, spend time with them, and let them know you love them. Realize that they are, in fact, kids and not little adults. Time doesn't go backwards, and we are all mortal.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rdb posted:

Thanks all. I really just need time and I try to focus on all the positive memories. Sometimes emotion gets the best of me and I just want the world to stop but it doesn't.

Unfortunately I am not the only one out there that's experienced this and I do have people IRL to talk with. I can't discuss the details beyond what already made it to Facebook. It was pneumococcal meningitis and he was vaccinated.

My advice to those with kids, just give them a hug, spend time with them, and let them know you love them. Realize that they are, in fact, kids and not little adults. Time doesn't go backwards, and we are all mortal.

If it is any small consolation, you gave him a life full of love for the whole of his time here.

Few of us can experience that over our whole life.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

Thanks all.
Sorry rdb, let me know if you want to eat a chicken wing sometime.

Looking at another house on Saturday. Its cheaper and closer to my parents so I hope it looks as good as the pictures.

In case y'all curious about the kind of stuff I'm looking at.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress insurance companies.

"You were backing up, so you get 100% blame. Doesn't matter that you literally had no chance of seeing the other car, doesn't matter that she was going too fast for her sight lines, nothing else matters. You were backing up = you get the blame."

Bloodsucking fuckers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

loving hell, rdb. You're right, there are no words.
And here I was going to bitch about how the last week at a job that you're being forced out of, and forced to train your replacement sucks.

Ferremit posted:

Jesus christ rbd thats rough.

This was work today.

They're Pine cones. They can weigh up to 18kg (40lb) and they grow at the top of a 30-45m tree, and then drop without any warning.

Jesus Christ. Pinecones are like maybe 6-7" when they're huge, here (Texas, where everything is bigger! So much for that...)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

rdb I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that you and your family can find the support you need at this time.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rdb posted:

Every time I think," Welp, that was the worst thing I've ever read on the internet." I read something like this and feel an extra layer of lovely. I too would like to offer my condolences. I've been close to that once with my daughter and being hospitalized because of illness, but she made it. I couldn't even fathom what you're feeling.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

This was work today.

We have a couple of those trees at work, imported to California somewhere along the line. Those cones make a truly impressive thud when they hit ground, which of course causes people to come running underneath the tree to see what happened. I get nervous whenever I see that!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

rdb posted:

My condolences, rdb. Vent if you need to. No one here will blame you.

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress insurance companies.

"You were backing up, so you get 100% blame. Doesn't matter that you literally had no chance of seeing the other car, doesn't matter that she was going too fast for her sight lines, nothing else matters. You were backing up = you get the blame."

Bloodsucking fuckers.
Also applies to turning left out of a parking lot. It sucks.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

I am so sorry for your loss. I hug my son and tell him I love him every day, and I am thankful every day that he is a healthy active little boy. I don't know how much time i have left on this earth to spend with him, so I cherish the time that I do have. My life pretty much revolves around him and I'm just fine with that :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:sympathy: , rdb. n'thing the "vent if you wanna" cuz dumping that stuff here can be very helpful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry man, that's terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
rdb if you need anything just ask, we might all squabble but we're here is you need.

I'm on day 21 of exercising every day and eating healthy and I'm down 7lbs. Making actual progress is very satisfying.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

rdb if you need anything just ask, we might all squabble but we're here is you need.

I'm on day 21 of exercising every day and eating healthy and I'm down 7lbs. Making actual progress is very satisfying.
I had bk and wendys this week. :burger:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just reinstated my gym membership, so maybe paying $50 a month will guilt me back into exercising

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Sorry rdb :smith:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just washed my car for the first time in months and discovered Fiat thoughtfully constructed a convenient pocket above the front chassis member to collect dirt and gravel for later use. There was literally about a pound of crap on either side like they wanted it to rust. Wankers. During this the hose connectors burst off about a dozen times and I find the hose itself is leaking from a million places.

Then I tried to clean the block paving which was now black. I think I'll give in and buy a cheap karscher and a new hose tomorrow. :homebrew:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Well poo poo condolences rdb :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just washed my car for the first time in months and discovered Fiat thoughtfully constructed a convenient pocket above the front chassis member to collect dirt and gravel for later use. There was literally about a pound of crap on either side like they wanted it to rust. Wankers. During this the hose connectors burst off about a dozen times and I find the hose itself is leaking from a million places.

Then I tried to clean the block paving which was now black. I think I'll give in and buy a cheap karscher and a new hose tomorrow. :homebrew:
They just want to keep Tony employed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, 3 manual 05-07 Ions at closest Pick n Pull, but they've been on the yard since January.

I'm gonna gamble and hope the clutch pedal is still there on one of them (and maybe a MAP sensor). And probably swear a whole lot trying to get there and back with a clutch that doesn't want to clutch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 30, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp, 3 manual 05-07 Ions at closest Pick n Pull, but they've been on the yard since January.

I'm gonna gamble and hope the clutch pedal is still there on one of them (and maybe a MAP sensor). And probably swear a whole lot trying to get there and back with a clutch that doesn't want to clutch.

Is there a shadetree mechanic fix, or stop-gap, method to keep you functional until you find the part? What is the actual failure mode of the part?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Right on! I've been working on the same thing recently. The last time I went to the Dr for a checkup, he said that I have high blood pressure and to monitor it. So rather than monitor, I decided to get proactive and try to lose some weight off my fat rear end. I've been working on it for 3 months so far and I started at 240, now I'm down to around 215. I have another appt in the upcoming weeks so I get to see if my efforts pay off. If not, on to drugs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Just took a call from one of my old bosses at the call center that laid me off last month, asking if I could come in to sign a noncompete they "forgot" to have me sign when I first started there in summer of 2015.

He seemed genuinely confused when I said no, and doubly so when I explained that I stand to gain nothing by doing so when he asked why I was being "difficult".

Just tell them they also forgot to sign and send you the $10k check that will allow you to waive your competition intentions at this point in the proceedings and then ask why they're being difficult when they refuse.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I mean, how is "we just laid you off, and now you're unemployed but could you do us a solid and stop in and sign away your ability to seek work using your primary skill set" even a serious request?

This is what happens when you let department managers play HR instead of having a dedicated HR department.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Wow, that is just stupid on so many levels. Depending on if you have any bridges that do or don't need burning there are so many delightful ways that you could respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Geoj posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ.

loving :lol: I'm amazed you could understand what he was saying with satan's entire cock in his mouth.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 30, 2017

• Locked thread