Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FatCow posted:

What horrible turn did your life take that you ended up in Camden without going to CMP?

Ha, a free meal. There was a new 'modern Mexican and tequila lounge' we've been meaning to try. The food was good (honestly it was exactly like a regular Mexican restaurant, but expensive), the drinks were better. However my old rear end ought not drink something called 'the kiss of death'. I definitely ought not drink two of them.

I have been to CMP a few times. A buddy of mine used to race a mustang in NASA camaro-mustang-challenge, and I got to do some ride along laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

That's the hell of it - I don't know what I did, or to whom. Or, more accurately, which I did or they thought I did.
My users generally like me, so I'm betting it's another IT sperg.

Sounds so much like amazon. They let go of us at the drop of a hat, tell you the dates that the "infractions" occurred, and if you wish to appeal, you have to give reasons for why those infractions occurred. Also, it's all done from overseas via email. The people who actually terminate you are the warehouse managers, but they won't ever tell you they're terminate you (they'll sure as gently caress threaten it multiple times a day though), and they can't reinstate anyone.

There's been a lot of people terminated even if they weren't working that day. And if you do get axed, they won't tell you anything except "customer reported not receiving a package, what do you have to say for yourself" when you may have delivered 100 packages that day, and won't tell you even what city it happened in. Just the date, if you're lucky. Or sometimes "a customer reported you were rude during the week of <x>, you are now terminated. If you wish to appeal, please explain why you were rude to this specific customer, but we refuse to tell you what day this happened on".

Lately they've taken to terminating people because their cars aren't big enough to fit routes that wouldn't fit in a full size cargo van. For the division I work for, all they require is an enclosed vehicle with 4 wheels. For logistics, they want a "mid size 4 door sedan or larger", but give a Honda Civic as an example. My car isn't a sedan, but it does have 4 doors, and it's bigger than some Civics they never said what year Civic, it's definitely larger than an EK. I gave up arguing and just pile poo poo up to the ceiling, and make drat sure I take pictures of my lack of rearward and side vision. I've been talking to their internal HR about the dispatchers in my warehouse, and they're... very unhappy (and even getting ahold of them took over a week of fighting with our India-based "driver support" who kept sending form letters that had nothing to do with what I was trying to convey.. it took an email to Bezos to get HR to contact me).

It's a goddamned shitshow, and it's so loving tempting to just add "Please do the needful" to the end of every email interaction I have with driver support now. Instead I add "Please escalate this to a human that's authorized to do more than reply with a generic form letter" (which still gets a generic form letter most of the time; usually I don't get a reply, only once have I received a followup). Dealing with them as a customer is just as bad these days (same people handle email and chat customer service).

The warehouse managers are now threatening to terminate people if they take too long delivering a route, during rush hour. Doesn't matter if everything is delivered on time, if you're 1 minute late getting back to the warehouse for your next route, you get a guy in your face screaming at you and bumping up against your chest trying to provoke a physical response. They have signs all over the place stating "AUDIO AND VIDEO RECORDING IN PROGRESS", which seems like 2 party consent for me to keep my phone in my shirt pocket recording everything with them (1 party consent state, but still) (none of their cameras cover the driver waiting area). They also threaten to fire you if you don't run the entire way to your car. None of this poo poo is even in our contracts.

The main manager guilty of this turns purple when you refuse to back up (when he's chest to chest with you) and just speak calmly like a rational adult. When I get really pissed, I get a very low volume monotone voice and hold my hands behind my back, even though at that point the veins are about to pop out of my face.

e: they treat W2 employees similarly.

I think my blood pressure just skyrocketed 50 points just typing this.

Liquid Communism posted:

Ban and a 30 day. Nothing wrong with that.

Don't they have the ability to do a 999 or 9999 day? :allears:

KozmoNaut posted:

Shaving? I bought a $30 trimmer 3 years ago, and maintain a manly beard :riker:

I have this guy (which, holy poo poo, I've now owned 4 years... I didn't think it'd been that long). If I let it go too long, then I'll have to knock it back a bit with actual hair clippers first, but I generally run that over my face without a guard, and crank the guard up as high as it goes for my little chin goatee thing. I do'nt exactly have to look professional at work, so long as I don't look homeless.

If I have to interview for something, or go to a wedding, or a funeral, etc, then I'll actually shave. But I might shave for real a few times a year.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 4, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If I have to interview for something, or go to a wedding, or a funeral, etc, then I'll actually shave. But I might shave for real a few times a year.

I'll only have a proper shave when my daughter says she won't kiss me because I'm prickly like a hedgehog but not as cute:3:

And weddings etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I'm was onboarding with yet another delivery service. May as well keep a few in my pocket, right?

So they sent me the contract and asked that I "sign and return immediately". So I read it....

I have to pay for my own background check. Oh... kay. I've had to do that a couple of times with these companies, not a fan, but whatever, one of them panned out decently. I even had a staffing company try to make me pay for my own drug test once though, NOPE.
I have to submit to a drug test, and it can only be done at a facility of their choosing, AND I have to pay for it. :2bong:
Their car requirements are "model year 2000 or newer, with at least 4 seats, and working air conditioning". I'm good on that front, my car left the factory with a total of 4 seats (this would be parcel delivery anyway though, and my passenger seat is currently out of the car because of the loving dispatchers at Amazon).
Under that, "vehicle must have and maintain under 100,000 miles for the duration of our relationship". Wait, what? I have a friend with a 2009 with over 315k. My 2006 has almost 170k. Good loving luck there.
"This contract is valid for one week of our relationship" - there are no provisions for extension. Hahahhaha no.
"<company> does not provide any form of insurance, including liability or contents, including for client contents" AHAHAHAHA gently caress NO I'VE NEVER SEEN A DELIVERY COMPANY NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST INSURANCE ON WHAT I'M TRANSPORTING NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
"Drivers must drive vehicles with no visible damage of any kind, interior or exterior" hahahahahhaaha oh god I drive a GM, any GM more than a couple of years old is shedding paint, and my carpet on the drivers side has holes worn from there my heels rest (while on the gas and while my left foot is looking for something to do)
"Drivers must submit current interior and exterior photos of their vehicles". Exterior photos I get. Interior? If I was expected to pick up people, I would expect that. But for packages? Who the gently caress cares what the inside of the car looks like so long as there's no roaches running around?
"Drivers must wear all black" wow that sounds like a uniform to me, which is a bit against the whole "independent contractor" bit. I can understand "dress professionally", but "dress in all black" is blurring the whole employee vs contractor bit.
"If items are damaged in transit, contractor must repay the cost of the item via payroll deduction, cash, or PayPal" wait paypal or cash wtf
Also they apparently only pay via paypal

The coupe de grace? Binding arbitration that you cannot opt out of.

I needed a good laugh.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 4, 2017

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I had my bumper cover resprayed and the color is very slightly off if you look close and I am sad. :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I'm was onboarding with yet another delivery service. May as well keep a few in my pocket, right?

So they sent me the contract and asked that I "sign and return immediately". So I read it....

I have to pay for my own background check. Oh... kay. I've had to do that a couple of times with these companies, not a fan, but whatever, one of them panned out decently. I even had a staffing company try to make me pay for my own drug test once though, NOPE.
I have to submit to a drug test, and it can only be done at a facility of their choosing, AND I have to pay for it. :2bong:
Their car requirements are "model year 2000 or newer, with at least 4 seats, and working air conditioning". I'm good on that front, my car left the factory with a total of 4 seats (this would be parcel delivery anyway though, and my passenger seat is currently out of the car because of the loving dispatchers at Amazon).
Under that, "vehicle must have and maintain under 100,000 miles for the duration of our relationship". Wait, what? I have a friend with a 2009 with over 315k. My 2006 has almost 170k. Good loving luck there.
"This contract is valid for one week of our relationship" - there are no provisions for extension. Hahahhaha no.
"<company> does not provide any form of insurance, including liability or contents, including for client contents" AHAHAHAHA gently caress NO I'VE NEVER SEEN A DELIVERY COMPANY NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST INSURANCE ON WHAT I'M TRANSPORTING NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
"Drivers must drive vehicles with no visible damage of any kind, interior or exterior" hahahahahhaaha oh god I drive a GM, any GM more than a couple of years old is shedding paint, and my carpet on the drivers side has holes worn from there my heels rest (while on the gas and while my left foot is looking for something to do)
"Drivers must submit current interior and exterior photos of their vehicles". Exterior photos I get. Interior? If I was expected to pick up people, I would expect that. But for packages? Who the gently caress cares what the inside of the car looks like so long as there's no roaches running around?
"Drivers must wear all black" wow that sounds like a uniform to me, which is a bit against the whole "independent contractor" bit. I can understand "dress professionally", but "dress in all black" is blurring the whole employee vs contractor bit.
"If items are damaged in transit, contractor must repay the cost of the item via payroll deduction, cash, or PayPal" wait paypal or cash wtf

I needed a good laugh.

Stalin couldn't have come up with that. A million Stalins in a million years with a million typewriters.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

rear end posted:

I had my bumper cover resprayed and the color is very slightly off if you look close and I am sad. :(

So what you're saying is it looks like rear end

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'm having a rotten goddamned day so I cooked MEAT

sear it hotter next time. less gray more brown.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Goober Peas posted:

So what you're saying is it looks like rear end

Yes. I also had the shop install a used bumper cover, because I'm not spending $500 on a new bumper cover, and the gap between the hood and the bumper is uneven.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How different is it? Paint on bumpers is almost always a little off, even from the factory.

A lot of paint places now show people the difference before they paint, so they can see that it was like that originally, it's not an error on the painter's part when re-done.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

rear end posted:

Yes. I also had the shop install a used bumper cover, because I'm not spending $500 on a new bumper cover, and the gap between the hood and the bumper is uneven.

it sucks that your paint is not right, that is something that would bother me too. Is the bumper fit something you can fix youself? I gather with some adjustment/shimming you can fix minor issues on most cars. However if you've paid them to get it right or if it's an insurance job you should complain

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

How different is it? Paint on bumpers is almost always a little off, even from the factory.

A lot of paint places now show people the difference before they paint, so they can see that it was like that originally, it's not an error on the painter's part when re-done.

slothrop posted:

it sucks that your paint is not right, that is something that would bother me too. Is the bumper fit something you can fix youself? I gather with some adjustment/shimming you can fix minor issues on most cars. However if you've paid them to get it right or if it's an insurance job you should complain

I posted about it in the stupid questions thread since I just realized that it's really irritating me and hey maybe there's something I can do about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I needed a good laugh.

haha holy poo poo. gently caress that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I needed a good laugh.

I wanna know who. I'm guessing that uber delivery service?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

rear end posted:

What color was the used cover? I've had issues where a shop did not bother priming (or sanding, just scotchbrite) the used bumper and the paint was slightly off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I wanna know who. I'm guessing that uber delivery service?

I'd bet on it. Apparently they depend on dumb and/or illiterate people if that's the case, it's amazing they haven't gone out of business yet.

Someone I know drives for uber and got a brand new Camry through them, I have no idea what kind of ridiculous poo poo she had to sign, but I imagine her and her firstborn are owned now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just went to a condo open house. Nothing fancy, just a small little place close to home. Nothing seemed bad about it, and the price is certainly right. It would cost less to buy it than rent similar apartments in the area. Now I have to see if banks will give me money. :ohdear:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

the spyder posted:

What color was the used cover? I've had issues where a shop did not bother priming (or sanding, just scotchbrite) the used bumper and the paint was slightly off.

No clue. But they did prime and sand the cover, I've seen them do it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

Just went to a condo open house. Nothing fancy, just a small little place close to home. Nothing seemed bad about it, and the price is certainly right. It would cost less to buy it than rent similar apartments in the area. Now I have to see if banks will give me money. :ohdear:

Condos are bad, just keep paying rent.

You have all the financial exposure from the facilities and none of the benefits of owning a house.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I live at home. Why would I want to pay more money for X years and then at the end of that have nothing to show for it? Buying a condo is cheaper and if I ever want to leave I can sell it.

You're literally the only person I've heard say renting is better than owning.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I get it if you feel like rent is throwing your money away but don't kid yourself owning property is always more expensive than renting.

You can't 'always sell it' unless you own it outright. You can't sell it as easily as you can break a lease. You have to share communal property costs that aren't covered by insurance.

Condos are the worst option for ownership. IDK where you live but they can also be really, comically expensive for what amounts to an apartment.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

I get it if you feel like rent is throwing your money away but don't kid yourself owning property is always more expensive than renting.
With a 15 year mortgage and the hoa fee I'll be paying $550 per month heat included. I might be able to find a studio apartment for that much, but not a 2 bedroom like this is.

I will definitely own it, it isn't leased or rented.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I own a condo. There's positives over apartments but there's also a lot of negatives to consider. Condo boards will do really stupid poo poo to save money and whatever they want done gets prioritized over stuff that actually needs attention. You also tend to get people treating common areas badly because they think they own the place or they're a tenant with a never present owner.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You want to do a lot of investigation into a condo before you buy it. A low fee can either be a sign of a good quality building with good management or a bunch of cheapasses differing maintenance. Nothing like getting a five figure assessment because they haven't touched the pipes ever and now the whole building has rotting from inside.

Old buildings full of old people are the worst for this. Fixed incomes plus not really worrying about 10 years from now isn't good.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Condo ownership can be pretty rad. It can also be a giant pain in the rear end.
  • There's only one person to pay for poo poo, and there's a picture of him above the sink in the bathroom. If the roof blows off, someone sues you and you need X hours of lawyer, city barges in and demands you fix the sewers/establish green energy/do backflips for an hour, there's always only one place the money can come from, and it's the owners.
  • HOA/condo board can be a pain in the rear end. The batshit insane scare away the few good people, and don't even begin to think about how much poo poo hinges on finding competent people to work for free and get poo poo done in time.
  • There's probably property taxes. They're probably only going one way.
  • There's a bunch of stuff you're likely to have to maintain yourself.
  • Your neighbours might be shitheads, or worse, shithead tenants.
  • Selling it again might be hard/expensive/a pain in the rear end.
That being said, you can usually remodel the interior just as you'd like, and if you pay down the mortgage that's money straight towards your net worth. And if real estate is going up, there's some good money to be made.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

With a 15 year mortgage and the hoa fee I'll be paying $550 per month heat included. I might be able to find a studio apartment for that much, but not a 2 bedroom like this is.

I will definitely own it, it isn't leased or rented.

including homeowners insurance? including mortgage insurance (PMI)? Property taxes?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thanks for the concern brave but renting is out of the question.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'd bet on it. Apparently they depend on dumb and/or illiterate people if that's the case, it's amazing they haven't gone out of business yet.

Someone I know drives for uber and got a brand new Camry through them, I have no idea what kind of ridiculous poo poo she had to sign, but I imagine her and her firstborn are owned now.

About what I was thinking. Either they're wondering why they can't hire anyone, or they don't have a surface because no one reads poo poo.
Run away from that "contract". Way too one-sided. Jesus.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Too late for the top dog contest but this little twit is currently trying to make friends with the cats. we've named him tig, 8 wk old shar pei x english staffy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

This poo poo should be required reading:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think I posted in the first thread about 5 years ago when I got my job and thought I could afford a house. They put me in my place pretty quick.

I will give it another read though now that I've lowered my expectations a bit. Thanks!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Versa threw a CEL about an hour ago, will have to pull the code in the morning.

And the little plastic cover for the exterior door lock on the driver's side door latch popped off when I shut the door. Little plastic tabs broke off inside the door and goddamnit...

Didn't I just buy this thing 3 weeks ago?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cage posted:

I think I posted in the first thread about 5 years ago when I got my job and thought I could afford a house. They put me in my place pretty quick.

I will give it another read though now that I've lowered my expectations a bit. Thanks!

Always remeber that in accounting terms, houses are NEVER an asset. They are always a liability. Once you actually work out the true cost of home ownership, you'll see the truth of that very rapidly.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Also, if you think it gets better when you fully own the house.

It doesn't.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm not buying a house.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cage posted:

I'm not buying a house.

I might be. I spent 8 loving hours in this one new development picking out a lot, model, basic structural add-ons and if we can afford it.

Wish me luck goons!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Good luck!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So you're building a mcmansion in a neighbourhood of unoriginality?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

So you're building a mcmansion in a neighbourhood of unoriginality?

nah, it's a reasonable sized house, no weird architecture, no wasted space.
The kitchen is loving enormous, but there's literally no other space to entertain guests. Which is fine because I live in a townhouse now and I'm used to it.
I just was planning on buying a new house in like 3 years, not RIGHT THIS loving MINUTE.
It's all good though. I hate sharing walls with people and not being able to wrench on cars or motorcycles.

I had to pay a dealership to clear the windshield wiper sprayer pump because it was loving snowing, 30mph winds, and I wasn't up to getting fined by the HOA for working on my truck in a parking spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
HOAs are why humanity needs to be exterminated.

• Locked thread