Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
This morning I woke up at 6 am to drive to Austin from Dallas to interview for a job that would pay more than double what I make now for the same job, except it's for a start up that has less than 60 employees and is growing quickly. I'm still going to school so the fact that they even approached me even though I don't have a degree yet and am qualifying solely based on my work experience is pretty awesome. The company culture is a great fit, they have fantastic benefits, and everyone that works there gets equity.

There are no downsides except Austin traffic but I'd bypass that by living close enough to bike to work, and the small matter of my girlfriend staying in Dallas for a few months if I get the gig. It's not a certain I'll get it but the interviews went extremely well and I'm just giddy at the thought of making $60k-$70k after working retail my whole life making like, 35 tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

slothrop posted:

Avocado is the loving best.

Finally got my washing machine fixed (under warranty, 3 week wait :rolleyes:) only to find the probable cause of the issue is the ridiculous water pressure at this new house. The guy had no problem fixing it all under warranty but then advised me to go get some pressure reducing valves. Two hardware stores and $145 later I can finally wash clothes. I hope.

That's annoying but I'm glad it's fixed. I'd love some better water pressure in our apartment.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Tomarse posted:

I look at it as what I get out of it at the end of 15 years. I could be renting in which case after 15 years I would walk away with nothing, or I can buy and after 15 years I walk away with a house. It may not be the best house and it may be valued at less than it was 15 years ago and need some work - but it is still more than the nothing I would have got via renting.

Don't you usually have to put a down payment on a house to buy a house? $15K, $20k? If you were renting you wouldn't have to pay that money and instead could invest it in some interest bearing account and at the end of 15 years you would have made some money.

Doesn't mean renting is better but it's not cut and dry "if I rent I end up with nothing."

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

angryrobots posted:

So today we took the kids to a matinee showing of the Lego Batman movie, and it was my 3yo's first theatre experience. Movie was pretty good, not as good as The Lego Movie but worth a rental at least if you have kids.

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

Mine:
The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1989 US release)

I remember my step dad taking me to see Starship Troopers at the movies. If not that, then I vividly remember seeing Jumanji because the theater had added animals breaking through the front walls.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I got the job offer from Austin I was looking for but I turned it down because the schedule didn't work for me and my girlfriend and I might move back to Seattle in the fall so I needed flexibility. Oh well, got some good interview experience out of it and it feels good to be wanted.

Good news is I got a promotion at my current job that comes with a hefty raise. Everything's looking up.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I would be pissed but once I got over it it would be so less stressful to not have to worry about dinging my car anymore because it's already hosed up. Still sucks, though. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.

I rode my bike down some stairs for the first time. It was scary and cool and exhilarating.

• Locked thread