Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
yo I heard there was pizza in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Re: Man chat

Harris Teeter near me sells dry aged beef. I can buy an entire loving rack if I want but it'll cost me a whole paycheck.
I haven't had a grill in a while (townhouse lyfe) and my smoker has been at by buddy's place in DC so proper coal-cookin' is out. However, I've got a bunch of big-fuckoff cast iron pans that work well.
Preheat the oven to 500°F with the cast iron inside. Turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Slap my seasoned meat right on the skillet that is so well season that it sweats bacon fat.

I've got a grill pan that I used a couple times but honestly it's kind of a pain in the dick, mostly because it's not well seasoned.

As far as shaving, I'm a safety razor, with feather blades, and bay-rum kind of guy. If I could find a good sandalwood shaving cream I'd stick with that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cage posted:

I'm not buying a house.

I might be. I spent 8 loving hours in this one new development picking out a lot, model, basic structural add-ons and if we can afford it.

Wish me luck goons!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

So you're building a mcmansion in a neighbourhood of unoriginality?

nah, it's a reasonable sized house, no weird architecture, no wasted space.
The kitchen is loving enormous, but there's literally no other space to entertain guests. Which is fine because I live in a townhouse now and I'm used to it.
I just was planning on buying a new house in like 3 years, not RIGHT THIS loving MINUTE.
It's all good though. I hate sharing walls with people and not being able to wrench on cars or motorcycles.

I had to pay a dealership to clear the windshield wiper sprayer pump because it was loving snowing, 30mph winds, and I wasn't up to getting fined by the HOA for working on my truck in a parking spot.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

HOAs are why humanity needs to be exterminated.

Tell me about it. I can't get out of this loving place fast enough.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
New keyboard day!

Code Keyboard. Cherry MX clears. I'm tired just from typing this sentence.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

bruh... the Cherry MX clears are like 150% the force required to actuate a Model M switch. They actuate at 65cn and bottom out at 100.
I love the clears though. They're perfect for office use because they are so quiet. There's a little bit of a ringing after the switch returns, but I'm not sure if there's a way to dampen that or not. Either way it's nowhere near as loud as some MX blues.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Nobody's linked deskauthority yet.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Clear
Tactile force 65 cN
Actuation force 55 cN
Peak force ca. 95 cN

MK claims 55g actuation / 95g peak
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=594

mariooncrack posted:

Keyboard chat:

I got a new keyboard the other day. Don't have a picture off hand but here's the link:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/30851?mode=guest_open

It's really weird since I'm used to tactile switches and this is linear. Actuation can be changed with a keyboard shortcut too.

Jesus, Hall effect? I'll bet that was expensive. Those are usually reserved for industrial terminal applications.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mariooncrack posted:

Keyboard chat:

I got a new keyboard the other day. Don't have a picture off hand but here's the link:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/30851?mode=guest_open

It's really weird since I'm used to tactile switches and this is linear. Actuation can be changed with a keyboard shortcut too.

Ruh-Roh...

http://imgur.com/a/g2eC3

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Waking up in two hours to put 15 pounds of pork shoulder on the smoker :whatup:

might as well toss some sausages on there while you're at it.

or a brisket.

or two...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

angryrobots posted:

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

I actually got my wife's family's tax guy to do our taxes for free. I had already done our taxes and he said if he can't beat my number then he won't charge me.

angryrobots posted:

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

I've got a bunch of headlight bulbs lying around from previous vehicles (I always replaced them in pairs) and I'm thinking about making some desk lamps after I move into my new house.
Anyone got a hook on cheap connectors? I'd prefer not to use individual blade connectors or drive to a junkyard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's largely true, but there's something about actually working with film and learning what the terminology really means outside of an Adobe menu that is incredibly useful, satisfying, and can help with more intuitively navigating Photoshop/Lightroom.

*realizes his Photo 101 B&W class was over 10 years ago*

Nevermind, I'm now grandpa talking about how he made and used a REAL dodge/burn tool :smith:

Don't get me started on saving that yellow cellophane gift wrap from Easter baskets to make contrast filters.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Powershift posted:

Maybe you looked black.

There's a reason they're called "one-timers"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
In my experience, Toyota uses really thin paint to begin with, except for some of their crazy white pearlescent whatever special $$$$ colors.

Sorry about your Prius everdave.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm currently looking at replacing my Chromebook with a refurbed Thinkpad T420(:420:). It's a 5 year old model, but it's got an i5, 4GB RAM and an SSD, and the refurb place guarantees at least 75% battery life left (of the original 6-8 hours, which is pretty good).

It'll run everything I can think of just fine, short of 3D games, but I don't care as long as I can watch 1080p Youtube videos, listen to music on Spotify and shitpost on the forums. It's the last model with a proper non-chiclet Thinkpad keyboard.

:hfive: keyboard bro.
The old Thinkpad keyboards are loving proper.

x220 + SSD + IPS screen is still the best loving laptop I've ever used.
I bought 2 of them for $100 each with 8gb ram, Windows 7 COA stickers, but no HDD. One had the TN panel the other had an IPS screen and fingerprint reader. The IPS screen is gloriously beautiful and stupidly bright. No webcams, because :tinfoil:
A couple of Samsung Evo drives later I'm all set. They play really well with windows 10 and I've literally never had an issue with either of them, except the bluetooth chip on one is really old and doesn't play nice with some things (just disconnect and reconnect usually fixes it)

You should loving do it.
If for no other reason than to have an excuse to rock the best travel mouse: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2TN1S68188

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Back to weight chat, in September of 2016 I was about 265lbs, probably closer to 270lbs. I don't have a bathroom scale but the one I use for weighing bales at work says I now weigh 212lbs fully clothed (resolution of 2lbs and probably +/-8lbs accuracy). I'm 6'3" and am actually starting to get worried because under 200lbs is not really healthy for me. When I was down to 185lbs about five years ago I could see my ribs and shoulder blades. My eating habits have not really changed, I easily consume 3000+ calories a day (sometimes in just one sitting like a true goon) mostly in carbs.

The only real change has been a promotion at work but I'll eat throughout the shift and my new job is probably about as physical as my old one though now I work full time instead of part time.

Also, now all of my clothes are too big and half my shirts look like tents my pants are so folded in they chafe really bad and it is really frustrating because I don't want to have to rebuy literally my entire closet and dresser.

Same. I was 6'0, 150-155lbs from about age 18-27. I would eat absolutely anything and everything. Any pizza is a 'personal pizza' if you just believe in yourself.
Now I'm 31 and I have to buy pants every year because I'm getting too fat.

Oh well. I have a half decent paying job now and a wife and no free time and I just bought a house so life is basically over anyway. Might as well continue to burn the candle at both ends and continue to eat whatever the gently caress I want.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geoj posted:

I can't fathom drinking a sizeable percentage of your calories. I did low carb back in the early 2000s - I've always been a bit overweight but it was really bad between 2005-2008 - and dropped most sugary drinks then. I'll still have a bottle of cane sugar sweetened pop maybe once every other month when the mood strikes, but otherwise I haven't looked back.

There's still days where beer/liquor is my only source of caloric intake.
This is probably a good portion of my problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slothrop posted:

Fortunately for me, these days are becoming fewer and further between. It's amazing how much cutting down on booze has made a difference. I'm 33 on Monday and I honestly think I'm at my healthiest since I was 19. Certainly the smallest my gut has been.

I still probably drink far too much, but hey, I work in the industry. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure being an alcoholic is a pre-requisite for working in IT.

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, an X220 with the IPS screen just popped up at a reasonable price. It's got a 320GB spinny-disk drive and 4GB RAM, and I don't know about the battery life*. But it's an X220 with dual-band wifi, Bluetooth and 3G WWAN :q:

I'll use it for a while, and probably upgrade it to 8GB RAM and an SSD at some point.

* It's got the 6-cell battery. Unless it's in good condition, I'll just buy a 9-cell for it.

This is a good and just decision. I still like using my 6 cell and carry a backup 6 cell because the 9cell really fucks up the form factor and you get marginally better battery life.
as for the WWAN card. I bought mine for that reason, but now I just USB tether for 4g and use the mini PCIe slot for an mSATA SSD :getin:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

park it on your front lawn like a true car hoarder

I just bought a house and the HOA won't let me do this even if I had a yard big enough to do so.

I sure hope they don't mind sheds instead of back yards otherwise my mom might have to hang onto a dozen bikes for a while longer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure if it's just *spring cleaning* time or what, but I just decided to purge as much as I can (with the little time I have). There no reason we need 5 laptops or 8 sets of suspension for Rx-7. I would rather have the money for my projects and to pay off our CC's.

I can't directly relate recent changes to my slightly more positive attitude or outlook, but between having a newborn and not drinking, I'm feeling much better. Maybe I can get some fun stuff done this year. Like finish my 20b FD.

I purged when I moved in with my wife. It felt really good at first but slowly devolved into resentment after her mom made her pick up an entire bedroom's worth of books/trophies/crap.
I've got an ace up my sleeve though: 12 motorcycles, 2 boats, enough amps and speakers to fill a house and a literal half ton of periodicals. Horticulture, Southern Living, Playboy, Bon Apetit, Virginia, Sport Tuner Magazine, Playstation Magazine, NatGeo, and so on...
Martha Stewart, take me home!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

From looking at the laptop, it has definitely had some pressure applied to it for long periods of time, there are wear marks on the palm rest and in other places.

Buying a replacement screens for the X220 is a risky proposition, you can pretty much only get them from random Chinese resellers, and they don't give a poo poo, every panel is "A+ quality", according to them. Even panels with pixel faults and bright spots. So I would likely just end up with something even worse.

I'm gonna return it for a refund, and look for something else.

rip. sorry bud :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Last time I did auto debit for something, I wound up nearly a grand in the hole between NSF fees and the charge going through something like 15 times.

I gotta agree with you on that one. I will never give anyone permission to auto-debit my ANYTHING after the fiasco I had with Verizon.
Besides, what happens if I die? They'll just keep charging my account until my estate gets settled. gently caress that. I'm dead. I ain't paying you poo poo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I miss the days when Costoco served real Coca~Cola and Hebrew National hotdogs.

http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants/the-150-costco-hot-dog-hebrew-national-outkirkland-brand-in-6612637

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Holy gently caress how have I not posted this earlier!!!

YEAR OF THE HOUSE!
:grovertoot:

BraveUlysses posted:

10% down you're going to be on the hook for LMI for a while. too bad rates have gone up twice in the past 4 months

Not mortgage rates. The FED raised interest rates but mortgages haven't rocketed up yet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
well gently caress me sideways.

I'm not excited about going to closing :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=15265

This thing has got to be batshit nuts.

KozmoNaut posted:

After I sent back the Thinkpad X220 with the broken screen (such a goddamn shame), I ordered a slightly less expensive T420 from a different site. It just arrived today, and it's pretty good.

Sure, there is a tiny bit of wear and tear, I had to shim the keyboard to keep it from flexing (known issue for pre-chiclet Thinkpad keyboards) and the hinge is only like 95% tight (after 5-6 years of use, mind). But it cost less than a decent Chromebook, it still does a solid 5+ hours on the battery and it runs Linux Mint flawlessly.

I'm probably never going to buy a new laptop ever again, unless I win the lottery or something.

I have my SSD sticker in the same spot :3:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Door Frame posted:

I took my girlfriend to a gas station to refill her flat tire and half way through filling she pressed the flashing button that switched on the vacuum and disabled the air compressor

She didn't think that spending another dollar to finish filling it was nearly as funny as I did

mariooncrack posted:

Fitness chat : I'm back down a pants size again.

I ate a salad for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

Photo proof I'm an idiot.

I cannot stop laughing at this.
Sucks you had to learn that the hard way, but thanks for the life lesson.

slidebite posted:

Selling our house and finally all staged and ready for professional photography tomorrow.

Actually living in a what amounts to a show home loving sucks.

Seconded! We just had our house staged on Monday. GLWS goon buddy.
I'm hoping that we can manage to pull off an open house this weekend and get this bitch sold so my wife can stop waffling on whether or not she made the right choice to build a new home.
I still think it's retarded to build a new home when there's so many good (and much cheaper) ones out there. But, whatever... happy wife, happy life right?

• Locked thread