Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shaving? I bought a $30 trimmer 3 years ago, and maintain a manly beard :riker:

(Actually, I do maintain the edges with a Merkur HD with Personna blades, a Vulfix brush, and Proraso soap and aftershave. Good stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I own a condo. I'm perfectly happy with it.

(I'm also on the board, which is run very competently)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275/text

"H.R.1275 - World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017" :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Passed my ITIL course with 34/40 points :toot:

Hopefully my job interview this Monday will go equally well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BAND BEFORE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPV9NNvtL20

:awesome:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm seeing it next Friday, and I can't wait!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

bmi charts are garbage.

I'm 178cm (5'10") and 95kg (209lbs). My BMI is 30, which the WHO classifies as "obese".

gently caress that poo poo, I ain't obese. I'm overweight, but sure as hell not obese. My plan is to lose ~10kg or so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

Considering most advancements in CPU technology over the past five or so years has been in doing the same level of work with less power this really isn't surprising. My home system is based on an unlocked Zosma core Phenom II (six core die binned and sold as a four core processor, with the two disabled cores switched back on in BIOS) OC'd (stable) to 4 GHz. Combined with a Radeon 7970 it's still capable of running recent titles on high settings with acceptable framerates.

I'll admit it's a power hog compared with more recent hardware but it gets the job done and I don't have an extra $500 to blow on a new system board, processor and RAM at the moment.

I'm currently looking at replacing my Chromebook with a refurbed Thinkpad T420(:420:). It's a 5 year old model, but it's got an i5, 4GB RAM, 14" 1600x900 and an SSD, and the refurb place guarantees at least 75% battery life left (of the original 6-8 hours, which is pretty good).

It'll run everything I can think of just fine, short of 3D games, but I don't care as long as I can watch 1080p Youtube videos, listen to music on Spotify and shitpost on the forums. It's the last model with a proper non-chiclet Thinkpad keyboard.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 21, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alarbus posted:

My Dad has a T420 and I have a T520 we bought with his discount before he retired. He finally let me install an SSD in his, and it made a huge difference in usability. I have 16gb of ram and he has 8, so in some cases mine is a smidge faster. I'd budget upping the ram in the one you're looking at, but since it already has an SSD you're saving there. Mine is still going great, and much better than the crappy HP thing work gave me.

I will note that if you like the original, rough trackpoint caps, those are getting harder to find.

The one I'm looking at has 1x4GB, and I'll probably add another 4GB module to that. Going to the full 16GB with 2x8GB would be rather expensive in comparison, and probably not worth it.

I don't mind the newer dimpled trackpoint caps, but to be honest I actually prefer the touchpad :ssh:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

x220 + SSD + IPS screen is still the best loving laptop I've ever used.

Those are getting really hard to find, unfortunately :(

The refurb places I'm looking at only has them in 'C' condition, which is the lowest and has "scratches, signs of use and possibly missing plastic. 10% battery capacity guaranteed". I'm not really interested in someone's busted-rear end road warrior laptop.

And I'm over the whole subnotebook thing, a ~14" screen is the sweet spot for me, ideally 1080p.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 21, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the spyder posted:

Send me a PM, I have a T420 with SSD/8GB that I was just about to list in SA mart.

There's the minor issue of the Atlantic Ocean being in the way ;)

But I appreciate the offer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

x220 + SSD + IPS screen

Well, an X220 with the IPS screen just popped up at a reasonable price. It's got a 320GB spinny-disk drive and 4GB RAM, and I don't know about the battery life*. But it's an X220 with dual-band wifi, Bluetooth and 3G WWAN :q:

I'll use it for a while, and probably upgrade it to 8GB RAM and an SSD at some point.

* It's got the 6-cell battery. Unless it's in good condition, I'll just buy a 9-cell for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

use the mini PCIe slot for an mSATA SSD :getin:

Is it able to boot from mSATA?

Because I could just ditch the SATA drive completely, for the speed increase and minor power savings of mSATA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, r/thinkpad says yes too.

I'll probably go for that, then.

And use the empty HDD slot for "stuff" :ssh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, the X220 I got has bright spots on its LCD, which is really sucky, as I was so glad I had found one with the fancy-pants IPS display. I'm so tempted to just send it back and find some other laptop.

I know it's a second-hand machine, but it's just so loving annoying to look at :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

My current work beater laptop has bright spots on the screen from where the lid has been crushed into the keyboard. I find that quite annoying and I don't even use it very much (I use an external monitor as the main screen whenever I make it to a desk)

Either return yours for a full refund or check out how much a replacement screen is for it and negotiate a discount

From looking at the laptop, it has definitely had some pressure applied to it for long periods of time, there are wear marks on the palm rest and in other places.

Buying a replacement screens for the X220 is a risky proposition, you can pretty much only get them from random Chinese resellers, and they don't give a poo poo, every panel is "A+ quality", according to them. Even panels with pixel faults and bright spots. So I would likely just end up with something even worse.

I'm gonna return it for a refund, and look for something else.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

rip. sorry bud :(

At least there's a 14-day unconditional right to return any online purchases.

I'm going to go with a T420 (1600x900 and hopefully dual-band wifi) from a different website.

At least Thinkpads are hilariously easy to upgrade if I end up with one of the lovely 2.4GHz-only wifi cards.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Don't some of them have a whitelist for WiFi cards? My old x61s had that.

Yeah, they do. But the appropriate cards are :10bux: on Ebay. And you can get a modified BIOS, which removes the whitelist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You Am I posted:

Hot Rod Garage is doing a similar thing with an old F-100 and a Crown Victoria

I just watched the second episode of that swap, with the finished car/truck (cruck? tar?) in it, and it's totally awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After I sent back the Thinkpad X220 with the broken screen (such a goddamn shame), I ordered a slightly less expensive T420 from a different site. It just arrived today, and it's pretty good.

Sure, there is a tiny bit of wear and tear, I had to shim the keyboard to keep it from flexing (known issue for pre-chiclet Thinkpad keyboards) and the hinge is only like 95% tight (after 5-6 years of use, mind). But it cost less than a decent Chromebook, it still does a solid 5+ hours on the battery and it runs Linux Mint flawlessly.

I'm probably never going to buy a new laptop ever again, unless I win the lottery or something.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have my SSD sticker in the same spot :3:

I don't actually have an SSD, though :ssh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was going to bitch about being in a minor fender-bender, in the parking lot at work this morning, and that my car needs a new rear bumper again, and that it's my third incident within three years, so my rates are going to go up.

Then I read your post, rdb. I've got absolutely nothing legitimate to bitch over, all of my problems are incredibly minor. My condolences, man.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress insurance companies.

"You were backing up, so you get 100% blame. Doesn't matter that you literally had no chance of seeing the other car, doesn't matter that she was going too fast for her sight lines, nothing else matters. You were backing up = you get the blame."

Bloodsucking fuckers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just washed my car for the first time in months and discovered Fiat thoughtfully constructed a convenient pocket above the front chassis member to collect dirt and gravel for later use. There was literally about a pound of crap on either side like they wanted it to rust. Wankers. During this the hose connectors burst off about a dozen times and I find the hose itself is leaking from a million places.

Then I tried to clean the block paving which was now black. I think I'll give in and buy a cheap karscher and a new hose tomorrow. :homebrew:

I'm seriously considering selling my car, because it costs $800/year in emissions tax and $1,250/year for insurance, plus 10L/100km is no fun when gas is 11DKK/litre ($6/gallon). With 20,000km/year, that's ~$2,850/year in gas alone. Of course the comfort and torque is nice, but it certainly does come at a cost.

I was considering getting a Panda again, but your post is sort of putting me off that idea. I noticed that mine would pick up a little bit of road dirt in front of the rear wheels, but I didn't know about the front chassis member thing.

Currently, I'm thinking about a Peugeot 206 SW with the 1.4 (or 1.6, I guess).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

keykey posted:

What kind of fuckery is this?!?

The penalty for 8.9L/100km rated fuel mileage.

• Locked thread