Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cremo cream is pretty good. I like the original scent, but their menthol is pretty good too.

Double edged safety razor and Feather blades. Twist to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hang a mirror in the shower. Even at -7.00D I can still see enough to get coverage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo, digg.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cherry MX greens are a good click too

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also he spent $775 at the Apple store last year.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a budget of 2 grand, looking for a commuter car in Phoenix. Have a few options so far:

90-94 LS400s
2006+ crown Vics
2000ish CRV's or Isuzu Troopers

All are around 1800-2200. I'm going to look at a 2008 147k mile Crown Vic tomorrow for around 2k. Anything else I should look out for, model or gotcha wise?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a budget of 2 grand, looking for a commuter car in Phoenix. Have a few options so far:

90-94 LS400s
2006+ crown Vics
2000ish CRV's or Isuzu Troopers

All are around 1800-2200. I'm going to look at a 2008 147k mile Crown Vic tomorrow for around 2k. Anything else I should look out for, model or gotcha wise?

E:also looking at a 93 LS400 160k miles to.orrow for $1300. Low price because no AC.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's why I was thinking the CR-V. Plus, I already know how to do valves and the timing belt (and I have the special tool) because the woman in that relationship I just ended had a 97 CR-V that I did all the maintenance on. So it's familiar, has plenty enough space for car seats and junk, and is fairly fuel efficient for what it is.

This is just for my new 30 mile commute. The bus was okay for 15 miles, but I'm feeling exhausted in rush hour traffic with it twice a day for double the distance.

I've now got a $2000 93 LS400, everything works showing scheduled for tomorrow, the $1300 AC is broken scheduled, and a 2008 Crown Vic scheduled. All for tomorrow morning.

Im leaning towards a CR-V, but sub-$2000 pickings are slim.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Really torn between the 2008 crown Vic and either of the Lexuses. Should start a poll

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Turns out the crown Vic has a tow rating? Probably swinging me right there. Sorry my plea for suggestions caused trouble. That said, I see no issue at all with the CR-V. Except I can't find one in my price range (that anybody will respond to :argh:)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Picked one. No rear seat, gotta fix that. And it stumbles with the AC and headlights on. But the price was right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you implying I've ever driven above it with my current commuter? :v:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 9, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I'll look at the tire size tonight. Tread is at 50%, so new.tores are in the cards soon.

Also, no spare. But.i did get what looks like a weapon rack in the trunk? And they pulled the fire suppression system, but left the button. The dashboard has a fire suppression light that comes on under heavy braking, too.

Ordered new fuel filter and plugs, just in case they're the stumbling at idle problem. No IACV on this car, it's throttle by wire and a digital throttle plate.

No stumble in park, just stopped in Drive with the AC on.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That loving sucks about the garage. I'd feel violated, and that's a difficult thing to get over.

This weekend I'll have more updates on the Crown Vic. I ordered coils and plugs, and I'll attack the throttle body and MAF as well, to see if it calms down. I'm literally not used to the power. Going from the bus to the Ford...jeeze. Big change.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes, it does tow nicely

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735359&pagenumber=27#lastpost

https://stupidbus.wordpress.com

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 12, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
M4/3 or bust.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The Samba is a good resource, but they are super elitist. Be careful. Most questions will be answered with "use the search bar", which is bullshit and doesn't foster an active community.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also that too. Deleted my entire thread, even.

Use TheSamba as a search repository and not much more.

I got chided because I figured out that the 2"x2" air conditioning sealing foam could be cut in half lengthwise and used as a better-than-stock engine seal. The difference is an engine seal is $50, but the AC foam was $4 for 2.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And they'll privately email you asking if you'd rather sell your bus to one of them to restore "properly," because they think you're "ruining" it as-is.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Depends. What kind of household do you keep? What's the hierarchy?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are a million old ambulances with the 7.3 powerstroke for less than 4 grand. Most reasonable departments retire them before 400k, too.

Strip the literal ton of interior, and you've got a mighty tow vehicle and mobile shop.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I spent a hojillion dollars on a new car, I'd want to keep it nice, too :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I worked until 1AM, evaluated a BLS skills class from 0700-1245, and now am on shift from 1300-0100.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I live by Banner Estrella, but come out of Mesa. So I slept in the bus from 0100-0630 at the Mesa station.

E: oh, I see. Yeah, got a place now. With a dogboot and 2 car garage, too :v:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or long-click the image, open image in new tab, copy URL.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

In this respect, I'm kind of glad for the defective Ford white on my P71, where there are patches of paint just *missing*.

Okay I thought I was crazy for this on mine but now that I know it's standard I'll live with it.

Huge swaths just gone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

That's that specific bulb, in that specific housing. 99% of the LED bulbs you buy are cheap sweatshop-designed garbage from ebay, and are not those. That video doesn't prove anything, except that ETCG chose well, because he usually (but not always) knows what he's doing.

Which ones did you get?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Look forward to good data.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Trust me, if there was a good H4 or equivalent LED replacement for less than $100/bulb, I'd be on it like a monkey on a cupcake. I'm the bigclivedotcom of AI. I've spent (as in, money) my entire late childhood and young adult life on LED bulbs and drivers (stock, chinesium, and custom). I long for LED supremacy. Every single gift to my father was an LED flashlight, from before the days that even eBay sold them. I was making driver circuits from before my neice existed. From before Alibaba/AliExpress were even things.

My cars, and motorcycles, are so old that converting the headlamp to LED would double the generator output availability. It's been a dream of mine.

If you see a standard 7inch housing on eBay, "halo" ring or not, I've tried it. If you've seen an LED H4 (or equivalent) bulb, direct or sub-reflector, I've most likely tried it. I have my own standard of testing bulb pattern, at 10 feet and at 200 feet (work facility), that I compare with.

In the "post your first Amazon purchase" thread, I saw that I'd bought $16,000 wortg of stuff from Amazon since 2005. I bet I've spent nearly that much on LED poo poo from eBay and Alibaba alone in the same timeframe.

LED is life
LED is love

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found a switch in my new-to-me 08 p71 by the OBD port that disables the entire dashboard, warning lights, chimes, and brake lights. Also, no TPMS light or OBD codes at all :smug:

I also found fired .40 S&W and .556 cases all over the car :stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

There's also a plug or setting to disable the dome light. You can also switch the trunk button from ignition or constant power. Both connectors are there behind the panel. And the rear power windows can be disabled by unplugging the connector in the B-pillar. Look online - there's a Ford Police Vehicles supplement to the owner's manual, and the wiring diagrams have P71-specific pages for all the extra power and signal wiring in the car. My fav is the 30-amp 12V feed in the trunk. Made wiring my amp easy. There's a ground feed straight back to the battery ground, too.
I found the supplement, but must have glossed over the trunk button wiring. This is amazing and a godsend. I was hating having to put the key in to pop the trunk.

While cleaning I also found the tremco box and fixed that up. Keeps you from moving it out of park unless you hit a secret blood pressure cuff-like button under the left floor panel. I think it's an okay anti-theft feature.

I also discovered the passenger-airbag disable box under the passenger kick panel, complete with key.

Unfortunately they just cut out all of the emergency gear with a rusty knife and pulled all the fuses for that. Did discover I can put my meter in one of the cut off wires and pop a test fuse in the slots until that wire gets 12V, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, it's the 650. I have a 970 (next step up) and it struggles a bit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been struggling with my weight my entire life. I'm 260 and 5;10. I was 240lbs in the 6th grade. I was over 300 before I left my ex for the first time. I got down to 190 to join the Army, but that included a no-poo poo 17lb weight loss the night before spending the entire day in a sauna, a hot tub, and taking laxatives. My piss had viscosity then.

I was 274lbs right before this breakup, though, so I'm feeling better. 15 lbs in just over a month.

In lighter news, my patches came in, but I couldn't find my sewing kit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow, driving to Four Corners from Phoenix sucks. That sucked. EVERYTHING CLOSES AT 2100

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got hired on as a trainer at work. I still have my 4x12 field EMT job, at $11.17/hr. But the trainers work at $25/hr, a few days a week when we have new hires. I think I can double dip and work from 0800-1245 on training days, and then work my 1300-0100 shift.

It's not full time, but that's a ton of money for me at $25/hr, and would be on top. Two hours pays for my health insurance :kimchi:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:grovertoot:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Add rolling coal to that and I'll second the motion for execution. Though you'll have to change it to .40 S&W if you want cops to be able to do it. Only sheriffs carry .45 :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Off-topic, gently caress ceiling fans. I mean, ceiling fans, once installed, are awesome. But gently caress installing, repairing, or wiring ceiling fans.

Hunter Fans! Why do you put the motor capacitors in the failure-prone remote receiver unit?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. This Hunter is from 2001, and all of the motor capacitors are in the Remote Control Receiver Unit. So, since the remote unit has gone bad (and Hunter doesn't even make any replacements, either receiver or remote, for this model anymore), the entire fan is SOL. Instead of two wires going to the fan motor, there are five. A pink, red, brown, grey, and yellow one.

After spending an afternoon with it, it turns out that they are the individual motor coils, along with the starting capacitor. And Hunter runs their fans in a H=1+2+3, M=1+2, L=1" fashion. So, literally no aftermarket radio unit will work with it, as they generally have to input wires (neutral/live), and two output wires (lights on/off, fan motor on/off, but voltage-controlled). There are four capacitors along with a MOSFET and associated circuitry in the remote control unit, and it switches between each circuit for different speeds. It also controlled reversing with the unit, which means that EVERYTHING is/was integrated into a sort of black-box of electrical fuckery that nobody makes replacements for anymore.

I kinda made the universal aftermarket unit work, by wiring it to two motor windings, and then shunting the third winding through to a capacitor to the switched hot. So the fan starts and runs (without the capacitor it just buzzes and gets hot, of course), but only in what I would describe as a "medium-low" setting. Good enough for the spare bedroom, but still garbage.

I switched my bedroom's fan with the living room's fan (the living room had this bullshit remote control thingamajig) so the LR would have a functional three-speed fan, controlled with pull-cords, and put my hacked-to-gently caress fan in my bedroom, which is essentially the spare bedroom now. Enough to move air around, and silently.

Unfortunately, the hook that hangs the entire carousel on it after you remove the shroud's screws snapped in half when I was out of the room. I came down from the ladder to take a piss and heard a massive CRASH, and went back into the room to discover that two of the fan blades broke on their way down. I currently have them glued up and clamped between blocks of wood, in a vain hope that they come out at least somewhat balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or I just could not buy an HOA house

• Locked thread