Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Mine said similar.
I have to have my girlfriend order red meat if we're sharing, otherwise I'd have nothing besides blue-rare steaks on fancier date nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, unless you own something in London, San Francisco, or some other ridiculous market, your property will generally not make you much money over time. Especially if you take inflation into account, most home owners technically lose money over the course of their lives, but the trade used to be worth it for the freedom and stability of owning your own property.

Now? I'm not sure that most properties are worth owning in general, unless you know for certain that you will live there for decades. But I'm unmarried and childless, so I'm not nearly as focused on the idea of stability as most prospective home owners would be

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Houses are good if you know for a fact that you will be somewhere for a decade or more, but I'm not sure that most people can say that these days. Chicago's losing people at an alarming rate, so I won't even bother looking here long term. The jobs are kind of here for now, but I wouldn't bet on it staying that way

The only draw of this city is great food, great beer, and great hospitals. Pretty much everything else is kinda lovely at best

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Any reason people are leaving so quickly? Gang violence?

We have a poo poo school system that can't stay funded for an entire school year, mediocre public transport when it's working, bad highways, no parking, and infamous corruption. Mix that with our relatively high taxes, it forces anyone with the means to leave out of the city itself. Hell, even I'm on the western border of the city, because even moving the ~1 mile east into the city would make our home too expensive to realistically live in, and it would be a much worse neighborhood with bars on every window and door

Gang violence is gang violence, but crime is pretty bad in general. The murders make the news, but there are so many robberies

E: I remembered that Chicago has some of the highest taxes in the nation, but nothing ever gets funded

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 6, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Locator posted:

It's Congress. I don't think they can help it anymore.

I have to admit though, the title is pretty hilarious. I guess it's true if you are the CEO of Anthem or something.

Hey, how many other healthcare plan bills do you think are getting sent through congress in 2017? This might be the greatest of the year by virtue of being the only one

E: also, literally every time this stuff comes up, I just want to take the paste eaters who draft these, and explain how insurance works and what elasticity of demand means. Because seriously, they don't know how insurance works, this will only make it MORE expensive

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 8, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just smash those idiots with a cricket bat until they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, Universal Healthcare isnt communist but an actual thing a proper First World country does?

I'll be the first to say that I'm a pinko-commie LIE-beral human being who wants socialized medicine, utilities, education, etc., but when I have to explain macroeconomics 101 to people who can't get enough Adam Smith in their lives...

redgubbinz posted:

My favorite was Chaffetz telling the country to choose between healthcare and a shiny new phone. In a sane country, that would net a politician a (metaphorical) guillotine, but I wonder how much healthcare $800 would buy you? Do they show you a picture of an ambulance and give you a tylenol?

$800 won't cover both the Tylenol and the photograph. You need Generic acetaminophen and a Xerox of a picture of an ambulance

Seriously, you'll get the generic at $20 a pill, or that's what my old hospital charged for 325mg tablets, $25 for 500mg. God knows what something actually expensive would cost...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

funny Star Wars parody posted:

A goon in yospos who works for an insurance company said that the day after trump got elected the CEO sent a company wide email saying how excited they are for the incoming changes

And then we get to "how insurance works"
It's basically just very wide pyramid scheme, you need more healthy people paying than sick people taking, otherwise it's too expensive to cover the sick people who take. Plus, the added members gives the insurance company more bargaining power against drug companies and hospital systems

1500quidporsche posted:

Working for a health insurance company but being a foreigner most the changes being proposed are bad for health insurance companies. Obamacare was a golden goose for the insurance companies.

This.
With the proposed changes, it looks like they just want sick people to have insurance, but to still have the protections of the ACA. That means that insurance companies can't drop the people who would cost too much money to keep healthy, can't turn away sick people, and the healthy people don't have to pay into insurance companies if they don't want to. And if they get sick, they can't be denied coverage and get a discounted rate for joining. Insurance companies are gonna get rammed like their customers used to when there was lifetime limits and diseases that would make you uninsurable

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Pineapple pizza is a little sweet for me, but I don't get the fuss over it. I'll eat it, but it's not what I'd order

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CharlesM posted:

They're just a Civic with a worse safety rating.

Next you'll tell me that a Pilot is just an Accord with a worse Safety rating...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh, I already completely melted down this season, but with a little prodding I could probably manage a second, less damaging meltdown :sludgepal:

I haven't slept in 3 days and this afternoon I got back from my psych appointment where I got told, "Your depression is looking less unipolar than it used to, let's put you on a second mood stabilizer and see how that goes. And if that doesn't work out for you, we can increase the dosage, or we can try some stronger stuff like clozapine or lithium."
To which I heard, "I'm going out of my way to avoid telling you that you're bipolar until you've actually slept and aren't presenting symptoms of hypomania. Let's be explicitly clear here, you are bipolar. Try to blow off some steam today, you're really excitable."
Talking to me different just because I'm a foot taller and 40 years younger than him, and in a building with no security personnel while in an erratic mental state... The nerve of some people

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Turns out the crown Vic has a tow rating? Probably swinging me right there. Sorry my plea for suggestions caused trouble. That said, I see no issue at all with the CR-V. Except I can't find one in my price range (that anybody will respond to :argh:)

Their gross capacity rating is poo poo, so renting trailers is harder, according to my friend with a P71
She also says to make sure that it's wheels aren't late model cop wheels, because they're a bitch to find cheap tires for. Other than gas mileage, she LOVES that barge

E: I need a !Looks alike <-> Sounds alike! sticker in my brain. I always mix up Klonopin(clonazepam) with clonidine and clozapine

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 9, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I can only thank the Maker, and His marked whiskeys, that I have never encountered an anchovy pizza in my life

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've already had a bar of xanax and a bottle of Guinness Milk Stout, but who knows if that will work or not. Half a bar and a Sierra Nevada Black IPA didn't get it done last night, so I'm not expecting to fall asleep before 8am, but I'm half-assedly trying to sleep

I'm just hoping that I actually have Cyclothymia, which is a much faster cycling, but not nearly as intense form of Bipolar Disorder (II). It's sometimes harder to manage due to the speed and frequency of the mood fluctuations. However, it's also not nearly as scary to laypeople, so people don't treat me as if I'll become violent out of nowhere. I'm a pacifist who even dislikes most angry yelling, I'm not going to start swinging at people...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dagen H posted:

Can you explain the difference between open-carry and "brandishing"?

Holding the gun?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What history? The overwhelming number of anti-Trump protests have been peaceful - and the idiots doing the violence are a very small handful of professional idiots who are only there to start poo poo. And you do know that if said idiots aren't there, it's usually the police who start poo poo in the first place?

You also don't here about peaceful protests because the media aint interested in thousands of peaceful marchers. But they are sure as gently caress interested in a handful of fuckwits.

Fuckwits that I add ARE often paid to start poo poo to make peaceful protestors look bad. Sometimes paid and co-ordinated by the police.

I think that you're just listening to the LAME-stream media. Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson tell it how it really is

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I like guns and target shooting, but I don't like owning guns and won't even go varmint hunting

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Some yards have an entry fee and for more common parts, there should be a posted list of prices, but it is basically just show up with tools* and take what you're able. Pay at the door and be on your way

*no power tools, besides maybe an impact gun

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Um, the "cop" wheels are the same as the civvie wheels, as far as I know. Just no full wheel covers. They do com in 16" and 17", but I believe a 2008 will have the 17"
That said, I didn't try to get tires for my 16" steelies, and it had larger-than-stock tires on it already. I put 18x8 Mustang wheels on mine, and a tire calculated to be within 2% of stock, because calibrated speedo.

She said it had 235/55R17's, which sound really thinskinny to me, but I'm too lazy to actually check. She talked to a taxi company that was phasing out their old Vics, looking for a cheap tire/wheel to replace her old one, but they only had 16" wheels. It's apparently cops and whatever "heavy duty" means in this context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor#Second_generation posted:

Also introduced in 2006, for P70/P72 Commercial Heavy Duty models and P71 Police Interceptor models is a 17" steel wheel, replacing the previous 16" wheels, plus new flat gray wheel covers rather than chromed wheel covers as in previous years.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 10, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Jesus, welding PPE is expensive.
A 5.5"x4.25" piece of auto-darkening glass to slot into my current helmet is more expensive than a new helmet with auto-darkening glass already in it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ahhhh, Xanax is friendly as long as you don't mix it with alcohol. Booze+Benzo=:tootzzz:/:nono:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What kind of balls do you have to have to slip your your number on an 8% tip?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So glad I can't take Xanax anymore because of my job. Even though it really works for my panic attacks, I did abuse it otherwise. I mixed that and booze a few too many times and did some stupid rear end poo poo.

Yeah... I mix more often than I should, but I'm usually pretty responsible about my drug use

Except I'm starting to get low blood pressure when I drink now. I apparently passed out almost immediately after standing up last weekend while drinking at a friend's place. I just woke up on the floor, completely lucid, except I didn't know I had stood up from the couch or that I had fallen

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh poo poo, I knew OIF guys were shy about their service, but I didn't even know that my boss was a Marine until I started drinking with his brother in law. My boss was on the ground in some of the worst of Fallujah and I never heard him mention the military at all, despite me working there for the better part of a year

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Beginner stuff isn't too expensive, and a beginner only needs 3 cheap lenses for their camera and they'll be able to shoot basically anything
#1 is the ~20-55mm variable that usually comes with the camera body
#2 is a ~45mm fixed lens, usually called a prime or portrait
#3 is a ~70-300mm telephoto
Most of the really good looking pictures come from understanding how to properly expose a photograph, understanding composition, and a little bit of post processing. Other than lenses, a reversal adaptor for the basic variable lense (to make it into a macro lense) is fun to play with, and if she's like me and her hands aren't steady at all, a good tripod and a remote shutter button are really nice things to have.

My girlfriend also loved her Rebel, but now that she's had the camera for a couple years, she's looking for something closer to the 7D. The Rebel's automanual stuff frustrated me from the get-go, so if it's not just a fleeting interest, I'd second totalnewbie and avoid the Rebel and just skip up to a Canon x0D if Canon's the brand she's looking for

totalnewbie posted:

I'd get a used pro-sumer DSLR and not the Rebel. 40D, 50D, etc. Point is to have better access to manual controls. Just IMO but I think the Rebel series and those types of cameras fall into kind of an uncanny valley where it's automated enough where it's awkward to adjust manually but still manual enough where it's not as convenient as just a point-and-click.

Either get a point-and-click (or a mirrorless) and focus on composition - because it's the photographer that makes the photos - or get a DSLR that is full-featured.

E:

ilkhan posted:

I've got an 80D, but aside from being able to swap lenses and zoom my phone's camera puts out better pictures. :wtf:

What are your settings?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 13, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I have a kit lens from another body, but haven't touched it more than a couple of times (come to think of it, I haven't seen it since I moved). For #2, the 50mm 1.8 is probably the most popular option for Canon and Nikon. It's sharp as hell, fast, and cheap. I personally prefer the 35mm 1.8 I have now, more because I don't have to step back as far. It's about as sharp as the 50mm I had before, and a 35mm AF-S was cheaper [locally, on Craigslist] than a 50mm AF-S when I switched to my D5100 (which lacks the autofocus motor.. AF-S puts a motor in the lens - I used a 50mm AF when I used my D70S).

I never got around to getting a telephoto.

My own opinion is a prime lens forces you to put a bit more thought into composing your image. Granted, with the 20+ megapixel cameras out there now, you can always just crop if you wind up too far back, but you still have to position yourself to frame the shot, instead of just zooming in or out. They also tend to be very sharp, and relatively cheap.

Oh, telephotos are probably on the line between need/want for a lot of consumers, but if you're really into photography, a telephoto lens should be one of the first couple lenses you purchase. Shorter telephotos are great for letting your camera take pictures that you feel like it should be able to, while still being useful for things roughly 5 feet away. You're drat right on the prime lens though, the stuff taken with the 50mm f/1.8 lens I got for her a while ago are generally the best looking pictures that either of us have taken

She uses the camera to supplement her income and keep her editing skills sharp, I just like to take pictures

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Should have bought the 6D if you want wide angles :v:

That's one big thing to consider when buying a camera: a crop sensor will give you a good (1.6x for Canon) bang-for-your-buck value on telephoto lenses but a full-frame will give you better picture quality and better wider shots. They're also more expensive but them's the breaks. I think 6D is the cheapest full-frame.

The other big consideration is whether the camera will be used for photos or videos. I got a 6D primarily because I'm not interested in doing video. If I had wanted to do video, I would have gotten a 7D without question. The disparity in capability between the two is huge.

Woah, thanks for the heads up. My girlfriend was eying the 7D because it had a high shutter rate and she wanted to shoot more sports events, but if it's not a full frame like the 6D is, that'll be a lot of money down the drain

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No it's not, the 7D is exactly what you want for sports - the crop factor makes it much better to get "closer" and of course it's a faster camera with a brilliant autofocus system especially for sports. And the 7D's picture quality is riiiiight up there.

A lot of pros stopped carrying 1D's and switched to the 7D for sporting events, that is how good the 7D is - you are looking at what is a genuine pro level camera priced at a keen amateur's price. Zoom with your feet and the crop factor isnt a problem.

The only real issue I've had is of course it's low light performance isnt as good as a full frame. But sports? Oh Lord yes you want a 7D

Thanks for saving me from looking like a dumbass by recommending a worse camera, especially now that she's looking in the $1000-$2000 range. She wanted to shoot baseball and softball events, and to get higher quality images than her T3i was letting her get. She'd talked for a while about a full frame like the 6D, but when she had changed her mind to the 7D, I assumed that it would've still been full frame because the 1D, 5D, and 6D were

Jesus, camera poo poo is complicated, and I thought I had an ok grip on it...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

This feels like something that would've happened in Office Space, is there any chance to burn things? Milton was the hero of that story, right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Soil they're grown in, probably; that volcanic, minerally goodness lets more of the flavor compounds form. You're making me want pineapple, but I could really go for some guava right now

Man, why do I always want sweets lately, am I pregnant??? :gay:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

meltie posted:

Make the noise!

Project BINKY Ep. 15 is out for Patron scum :)

Man... I hate getting paid in cash when everything I want to buy is online.

I complained to Amazon after 3 consecutive "guaranteed next day deliveries" were delivered a day late by their weird delivery companies. I get it, I packed FedEx trucks for a while, it sucks to actually distribute packages and delays happen, but instead of notifying me of the change in status, my packages were always marked as "delivery by 9pm" and I couldn't get answers about where my stuff actually was. Now stuff is showing up at noon on the guaranteed day instead of 7pm the day after the guaranteed day, it's pretty great

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, but you're living in Detroit...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I got stuck "closing" the bar tonight, but a local pub crawl stole all of our regulars and I got to leave 4 hours early. My girlfriend and almost all of my friends are in boystown dancing, and the rest of my friends are working still.

The first St. Paddy's I've ever got out of work early enough to enjoy and I have no one other than 2 dogs to celebrate with. Here's to cheap Irish whiskeys and earning half as much as I was supposed to

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I learned to drive stick by buying a manual too, having to learn to do it properly is the best way to learn. Just learn to love the dead pedal, and your clutch will love you
Technically, I learned when my brother drove the car 3 miles from my house, parked in a parking lot in an industrial area, and then told me to drive us home. Don't be too self-conscious about messing up traffic when you kill the car, a cop pulled me over on the way home, but after telling him that I was learning, he just laughed and told me to be easier on the clutch

I wasn't actually confident driving stick until maybe the 3rd or 4th time I drove it, and happened to have stopped on the line at a busy stoplight on a hill. I killed it 5 times as the cars behind me constantly honked and crept up, but I got the car through the intersection by the end of the light cycle... The only good thing about Illinois is that it's almost entirely flat, so I got some experience before I had to learn how to really drive on hills

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I didn't know that fake dogs were options to be voted on, I feel like it's kinda cheating because I couldn't not vote for Dog with Mailman Shoes. I love that dog and his weird Silent Hill brother

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Currently 6'2"/6'3" 190lbs. I'm starting to put on weight again, but when I was really into fitness, I was 160lbs and still had an uncomfortable amount of fat on my butt and thighs

I've only hit "fat" once after high school, when I was 220lbs and broke a belt buckle, but my current work belt is telling me that I'm on the way back that direction now

E: I say while eating 2 peanut butter and nutella sandwiches and drinking white wine from the bottle at 1am

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Any Chicago locals know about Southside Hacker Space?I remember them coming up in the chat thread a while ago, and some actual metalworking tools and actual experience wouldn't be unwelcome

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow, are you using marijuana at all for it? I can't imagine needing surgery for this poo poo. I'm not giving up tho that's for sure.

Spoilers for medical whoopsies
I had a friend in sophomore year with UC that was actually misdiagnosed Diverticular Colitis (DC). I can't blame her doctors, since she didn't want to be known as "that girl with UC" and intentionally missed several appointments with specialists and ignored their advice. She eventually needed a colostomy for ~3 years, a partial bowel resection, and so many -scopy procedures I don't even remember. Eventually, they did reverse the colostomy before her family moved to Virginia and she had to be weaned off of half a decade of opiates. Basically, it can necessitate surgery, but only if you aren't actually working with your doctors to get healthier and let your disease progress improperly treated. Or just without actual treatment, just like diabetes or most chronic conditions

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 21, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Even with treatment, the end result is often surgery. Some people are lucky, respond to the most basic drugs like mesalamine and carry on with it for years. I went through everything, asacol, azathioprine, 6mp, simponi, remicade. each time one failed with a week or two in the hospital on IV antibiotics and steroids. people who have had the surgery and have the j-pouch surgery which creates a little mini-colon out of the end of your small intestine often still end up getting pouchitis.

For the first year, i was simply diagnosed as "indeterminate colitis" because how it's diagnosed can affect what treatments and drugs are approved, and what drugs insurance companies will cover, and it's difficult to get them to accept a different diagnosis. I had to be diagnosed as ulcerative colitis to get simponi covered by the government drug program, otherwise it would have been $2,100 every 2 weeks. when that didn't work and i went to remicade which hadn't been approved yet for UC, it was covered through the drug company's "compassionate care" program until it was approved by the government for UC. that would have been around $7000 every 6 weeks.

To say surgery is necessary only if you aren't working with your doctors is not only wrong, it's insulting. Still, surgery at this point with solutions on the horizon seems insane, especially with what's known now about the actual functions of the bowel.

Oh drat, I didn't mean to be condescending. I'm mostly familiar with Crohn's disease and the one friend with DC who who actively avoided treatment, so maybe my view is a little skewed. From what I've learned from listening to doctors, nurses, and a bit of my own research is that most modern treatments for IBS diseases try to avoid creating stomae if at all possible

I suppose that I thought of "ideal treatment plans" instead taking the next step and thinking of real world treatments. I have firsthand knowledge of how insurance will gently caress around on the most basic level of care if they get the chance, so it should've been the first thing I thought of when "modern treatments" was a part of the discussion. And it could just be American insurance issues, but I've found that doctors are often not willing to prescribe newer drugs, except after trying everything else, because they know that they'll have to fight the insurance company every time those prescriptions try to be filled.
Insurance coverage issues can delay the proper treatment until things become much worse. Which in this case is scarring and diverticulitis, which do require surgery

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

Chron's disease is a little different, as it affects the entire GI tract, so even if you remove the bowel, it can start in the small intestine. Diverticulitis can happen to anybody, as you get older, diverticules can form. if something gets lodged in there and infected, it can get inflamed, to the point where it has to be surgically removed.

It's not just the US, government drug programs here in canada are like a stick in the mud with newer drugs, largely because of how combative the drug companies are, it's nearly impossible to get actual information on the drugs, even for the doctors prescribing them. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/drug-safety-health-canada-white-paper-1.4020384

In the US, the drug companies aren't required to publish every study on a a drug, so if they fund trials 10 trials and only 4 are favorable, they only publish those 4. Still, even the best newest drugs like entyvio in cherry picked tests are only around 50% effective, with a placebo being 25% effective. And even then it's almost always temporary, because they're live antibodies which your own body will identify as invasive and form antibodies against. Basically, the drugs that do work often only do so temporarily, most patients are bounced between them, and the most severe ones are thousands of dollars a month. There's a forum called healing well, where if you want to get super depressed, you can go into almost any thread there and read people's signatures detailing the long list of drugs that have failed them, and the long list of drugs they're on that often aren't working. You can see their desperation and panic every time it pops back up to destroy their life.

Food does make a huge difference, but every person's biome is unique, to the point where they can identify you by it, so what works for you might not work for anyone else. It can also take days or weeks to produce a positive or negative effect if you see one, so your bad day might be caused by some mustard you ate a few days ago. There's also the issue of the trash being sold as food, there could be 4 different brands of chicken noodle soup on the shelf, one of them will contain polysorbate 80, which has been proven to induce colitis. It turns every grocery store into a minefield. And again, if your issue isn't the cells in your GI tract being exposed to the bacteria triggering an auto-immune response, then that's not the cause of cure for you. The elimination diet which some doctors suggest where you start with the most basic foods and add until something causes trouble is problematic too, because if you're starving and your intestinal wall is exposed, the bacteria can just eat that causing symptoms.

Food correlation studies often come up barely swinging to either side because everybody's biome is so different, what gets you into remission might harm your chances of staying in remission, and some changes take days, some take weeks, some damage done by diet can't be corrected without taking extra steps. Your gut biome can change drastically in an hour, and strains of bacteria lost are permanently lost. In UC, they've identified a lack of specific bacteria that metabolize butyrate and other short-chain fatty acids that support the function of the colon. In order to fully understand which foods help or hinder, they would basically have to map your biome to determine what it can actually metabolize.

this is interesting to skim through in relation to chron's, just looking at the fecal bacteria, they can tell within 90% certainty whether or not you have chron's. http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2017/01/31/gutjnl-2016-313235

So the goal beyond that would be to clear out the GI tract with anti-biotics, and repopulate with a combination of fecal mater from a number of healthy donors so your biome more closely reflects theirs. Even in short trials it's shown to be more effective than all of the biologics . It really does seem to be the light at the end of the tunnel, not only for chron's and colitis, but even poo poo like obesity.

It really is important for everybody to be aware of, colitis is almost becoming an epedemic in young people, and while there's an underlying genetric pre-disposition to it, diet seems to be a trigger. make your kids eat vegetables and fish. never introduce them to mcdonalds.

Yeah, my mother has Crohn's and I am starting to think that I'm not just extremely lactose intolerant, but that I might have some form of IBS myself, thanks to intense cramping that's not always correlated with eating dairy... I've been on nearly a dozen different antibiotics in the past few years (thanks, VRE and MRSA) and I have no idea what my gut flora looks like anymore. Considering that by sheer number of cells, humans are mostly not human, that's not a good thing. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't developed C.Diff yet, but that's neither here nor there.
I cannot wait to see the day when the microbiome is understood well enough to allow for legitimate medical treatments for people, instead of hucksters pedaling probiotics with no guarantee that there's anything even in their product, thanks to unbelievably relaxed laws on supplements

As an aside, I'm well acquainted with ping-ponging between expensive drugs that you need to even function. I've been on every antidepressant on the market except for one SNRI, a couple tricyclics and any MAOI's. And my doctor said that I'm probably better off on no medicine than an MAOI, given ADHD's notorious reputation(s) for drug seeking behaviours making serotonin syndrome(which I've already gotten twice on SSRI's) a lethal inevitability. Just in 3 generic pill prescriptions 150 total pills, my monthly price without insurance would've been $750, instead of $30. Now with a brand name on my plate and a newer generic, it's $1,800 for 150 pills without insurance, and $40 with it. If I lost insurance, I'd lose my ability to work and live, which is a terrifying prospect

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Does SA have anywhere mentally ill people congregate? I'd assume the Crackhead Clubhouse, since drug use and brain problems generally go hand in hand, but I've been there a few times and it's weird... I don't venture out of AI or LP much these days, and I don't really know where to look. Like, I appreciate the chat threads' patience with my own issues, but I don't feel like it's the most appropriate place to vent my often irrational frustrations

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Game designers suddenly remembered that they can use unoptimized CPU code on top of their poo poo GPU code and it's been a shitshow

Wait, isn't setting your poo poo on "ultra-high" or the equivalent thereof, actually easier on your GPU because it's forcing your CPU to work more than medium-leveled settings would? How do so many developers release such poorly optimized pieces of garbage as finished products? It's worth it to spend another 2-3 weeks working on optimization, so that your game is realistically playable. I would've never bought Bloodborne, or its DLC, if they didn't fix the awful, awful load times. Even though Bloodborne is my favorite FromSoft game after Armored Core 1, which will always be the best for obvious reasons.

*Cschk* You are... a RAVEN *Cschk*

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Official sadbrains subforum is E/N, or i guess now it's called Much Ado About Nothing.

E: I thought you were being facetious, but I found exactly what I was looking for in their stickied thread, thank you sir

gimpsuitjones posted:

Are all parts stores loving garbage useless or is it just Repco? Literally every part I have bought from them has been incorrect and I've had to take it back and get it elsewhere.

I always tell them exactly what I need and then they ask for the registration number and plug it into their computer and then somehow sell me the wrong thing. In retrospect I should stop buying things from them.

It doesn't help that the only parts stores near me are Repco and BNT and they're both 40+ km drive away

Now I have my Corolla on axle stands in my driveway for the next ?? days until I get the correct size frickin steering rack boot in the mail

It's basically everyone at every store since they get paid like poo poo, on top of having no real training or experience with cars. I went to 5 different parts stores (2 different Autozones, a PepBoys, and an O'Reilly's. A second O'Reilly's finally got me the part an hour and a half after I started looking for a bolt that I knew every place should have had...) before I could find an oxygen sensor bung. No clerk knew what "the M18x1.5 nut that holds an O2 sensor onto the exhaust, you know, the thing that you weld onto the exhaust piping to make sure the lambda sensor reads exhaust gasses" meant

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 22, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Cop Porn Popper posted:

A district manager was having to defend to the regional manager why he authorized a driver to be hired $0.90 above minimum wage. Every raise I've recieved has been a required part of my promotion or had to be submitted and rejected twice for being too high, then broken into 3 parts and submitted piecemeal. The company posted record profits all 4 quarters of 2016. Lol, retail.
That first part is just Corporateamerica.txt
Penny pinching is everywhere you look, and it's always in the most asinine ways. My boss was only allowed to give out a single 3% raise, three 2% raises, and twenty one 1% raises a year in a department of 35 workers, but I only got told "be more careful" when I destroyed almost $40,000 in medical equipment on accident because it was improperly loaded for shipping and I sliced through the seals while removing it from boxes...
Or at my last job when they just sent an email explaining the process of closing, instead of taking the time to train supervisors how to close the bar. Our inventory was permanently hosed and every bartender would be scrutinized for wasting booze. All the while, we'd have cases and cases of liquor that ended up getting literally poured down the drain, but none to make the profitable drinks that we were being instructed to push on customers. They also fired all of the maintenance staff and we were left on one of our biggest weekends without working taps because not paying a guy to fix and maintain the pressurized system that generates your revenue is good business

quote:

Most people I've met are as knowledgable as anyone in AI. Most just don't give a gently caress about what you want or aren't trained in anything more than basic use of the computer catalogs and never trained on the paper catalogs. Half of why my stores retail side is as strong as it is is because I drill the training of every way to find parts into people's heads. And stay on people to use it.

That might be true, I've only actually interacted with a few and the majority of them didn't know anything that the screen doesn't tell them. Of course, they could've also been actively avoiding conversation with customers because they hate being at work, which I can't realistically fault them for

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Why didn't he wear his truck button in the truck, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Than man is just so loving bizarre. Surronds himself with god and the trapping of the ultra rich, he clearly hates the White House and yet when he's on an aircraft carrier or a in a truck he looks like he is a big kid having the time of his life.

Okay I'd become a big kid too but still. I just cant imagine any President just going BRRM BRRRM I DRIVE BIG TRUCK YAY

Ok, ok, I hear you, but I also think that W might have done something similar to the first picture

• Locked thread