Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Siochain posted:

.45-70 is used a lot (well, a lot for what the round is) in bear hunting - its got incredible stopping power. Bigger than most people shoot, but not unheard of. I love lever-action .45-70's, and that's on my wishlist (for when other expenses aren't expensing anymore).
.458 Lott would be great for Grizzly's though :P Moose actually take a fairly decent round, as upwards of 1000 lbs of swamp-donkey can take a gently caress of a beating and still not go down.

My favvy gun is my old swiss K31 that shoots 7.5x55 swiss. Great gun, accurate as hell. The .45 ACP is a fun pistol, but I love my little GSG .22 1911 for fun and cheap plinking.

Plus I've got a shotgun somewhere.

And some more .22's.

Guns rock.

My first deer kill was with a .45-70 lever gun two years ago. It was fun, and the leverevolution ammo was light enough to not destroy the meat.

A+ would hunt with again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tell us about your shave kit slidebite. I recently took SSSwitch into Kent of Inglewood's when I needed to get some things, and, I'm paraphrasing here, he said "it's nice to see there are people in this world as weird about shaving as I am about god awful Japanese econoboxes".

Also I hope you are healing, late night bleeding is never fun to wake up to.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is an unfair reduction. For awhile I talked to the lady at the counter about her Z31 300ZX.

That's true, and she was very nice and helpful.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

Also I'd advise people to not do what I did and buy a two year supply of dodgy Korean razors because they're cheap.

But you have a beard.

...oh

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

You'll be first on the list SSS.

It's nothing special. My main kit is a Jaeger safety razor and a Tweezerman badger brush and whatever I have for lather soap. I think I'm using Wilkinson Sword Walmart-special stuff right now but I actually think that's part of the problem with nicks. I'm open to recommendations.

Not going to lie though, I have a costco bag of of Gillette good news twin pivoting razors and some edge shaving gel that I go to if I just want a quick shave.

I've also been told I'm weird that I shave in the shower, but drat, shaving in a super hot shower is just so much nicer than standing over a sink.

I'm a big fan of D.R. Harris' "Windsor" flavoured soap and aftershave. The Arlington is nice too, milder scent.

My grandmother gave me her father's razor a few years ago, I had used almost exclusively electric up until that point in my life. It was great to learn on, but I could never quite get it as sharp as I wanted, turns out it has an ever so slight bend in the blade, so it's just an heirloom now. This new one has been amazing so far. Sorry great grandpa :smith:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah if I were to heat it I could probably fix it, or totally re grind it.

But it's a 'silver steel' blade made in Sheffield. I'm not sure exactly when, but the box has a "by appointment to the king" mark on it so it's at minimum 70 years old, and given that my grandma is 85, I would guess it's closer to the century+ mark.

And doing either of those things would ruin the nice etched label on the blade surface.

I mean it's not like it's unusable, I used it for years and did OK, but it's nice to have a blade I can keep properly sharp.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

scuz posted:

Did a welding class on Saturday, never welded nothin' before and I only managed to stick the TIG tungsten to the welding table twice! :buddy:

Good job man, that's the best way to learn how to regrind your electrodes :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

poo poo man if you beat someone with a tennis racket that would hurt like crazy.

Especially if they're not suspecting it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

the spyder posted:

I can't even. The contractor we hired to audit our power distribution in the DC mislabeled the circuits. My tech just took half my storage offline...

:psyduck:

That'll be a fun mess to sort out / sue the gently caress out of them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's a shame, I kind of like some of the stuff velocity does.

Sure, there's a lot of worthless GUYS WE GOTTA GET THIS BUILD DONE BEFORE THE BIG AUCTION, THRASH THRASH THRASH reality TV horseshit. But there's usually at least one or two shows worth watching every day.

• Locked thread