Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Finally got my medical records from the VA and have an appointment with a medical marijuana doctor Saturday. So loving excited to possibly get off meds for good, and to be able to use and grow my own weed legally. This could be life changing for me, can't wait to get started and can hardly contain myself!
Be sure you like, I dunno, staple your prescription to your front door and copies of it near/around your home growing situation because our Hairy Tangerine-in-Chief has a big ol' problem with people like you. :bahgawd:

Grats on the whole thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks good, although closest one is 2 hours away in Orlando.

We just got a Culver's recently are they any good?
Culver's is rad as heck, give 'em a shot. Some people aren't fans of burgers which have been pressed (I have an article here for those people) but I absolutely am and very much enjoy a double butterburger.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Alton Brown introduced me to throwing a steak onto clean hardwood charcoal coals directly. My God, if you like a seared but still rare steak it is great.
My boy scout troop did this and called it "tarzan style" steak.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Buying white meat chicken is such a waste, though. It's got approximately no flavor, and dries out if you look at it wrong.

Bonless thighs forever.
This guy gets it.

For the record:

Rare steak, dark meat, blueberry pie :colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lol, he cat-jailed himself.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did a welding class on Saturday, never welded nothin' before and I only managed to stick the TIG tungsten to the welding table twice! :buddy:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dagen H posted:

So you're as good as me after only 1 lesson?
:respek:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Was this the first class? My local community college has a welding class, but they've got a bunch of prerequisite courses for it like Metallurgy 111 and poo poo. I totally get where they're coming from with that and I'm sure there's a ton of awesome info there, but I just want to learn how to weld, you know?
We had a brief classroom session before we got to go hog wild on some scrap steel. It's a community space and this guy is teaching classes on the side to whomever wants to be taught. Tons of sticking poo poo together with magic, electricity, and fun noises!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, that's what I'm looking for! My dad was a welder for years at a power plant so I'm sure he could teach me, but neither one of us has a welder and I've got other poo poo I wanna spend money on.
Next class is April 1st! $125, well worth it, in my opinion. The guy that teaches the class primarily does artwork and whatever but welding's welding and he was a quality instructor.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

There was a mini KKK meet here in town this morning. Only one guy in the robes and hoods but I hear there were about 25 people all told. So some students went and set up shop across the street to protest their hate.

Guess which group got busted up by the police with multiple arrests?

GUESS.
:smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'll tell you right now that Minnesota is a midwest bastion of sensibility and reason and is usually hiring.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

But its cold.
Like Indiana is warm? In the words of a late, great Minneapolis icon: "Cold keeps the bad people out."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
And everyone here will be happy to learn that Minnesota has successfully repealed the law which banned liquor sales on Sunday! Goes into effect July 2nd. We also have many go-kart tracks, diverse car-scene folks, and stupendous cheeseburgers.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Bad time to own a liquor store in Hudson.
Minneapolis is a loving amazing city. Pitty about the weather, but if I lived somewhere with winter, I'd move back there asap.
To be honest, we didn't have much of a winter this year. Barely any snow stuck around for more than a week and it was 60 loving degrees last Wednesday. Compare that to last year where we were the coldest area on the whole planet for 4 straight days and uh yeah we might have a climate change problem :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nothing like a morning call from your credit card company reminding you very politely that you missed a payment due 9 days ago! :smith: The mood is slammed further into the ground when you receive a letter from a credit counselor service that has a line that looks like this:

My finances are not a loving joke, Lutheran Social Services. I mean, kinda, in a way, they are, but it's a very serious joke about a very sad man.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine called them "the feds" until I corrected him so now he calls em "little feds." :shrug:

BraveUlysses posted:

make a new thread in bfc
:smith: fine. Better to be embarrassed/shamed on the internet instead of in debtor's jail.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

if you don't use YNAB for your spending you might try using a spreadsheet for forecasting your income and known expenses (with due dates) so that this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you. i own YNAB and just can't deal with the tedium of tracking where every single penny goes but forecasting has worked well for me.
Budgeting is so loving boring and my ADD is so loving bad that I get distracted the moment I sit down to do anything productive. My plan now is to go through the last three months of bank statements and figure things out. I'll probably do the goddamn spending jar bullshit that a 7th grader would use to budget their allowance/summer job income because I'm so stupid with this poo poo. I'm also pissed that my credit card interest is loving huge and that SoFi rejected me :classiclol:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The derby league is taking a trip to New Orleans later in April and I'm trying to convince the other 3 people with whom I'm travelling that buying a $400 on craigslist to use for 5 days is more funnerer than renting a car but no takers :shrug:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm in the gym that's in my garage lifting things and I can still poo poo post on this glorious forum. I bought a power cage because gently caress going to a gym and waiting for some bellend to finish and never put poo poo back.
This drives me nuts. I had to hunt down the 5lb plates at the gym and they were sitting under a sit-up lookin' thing and I just don't know :rant:

My weightlifting/bodybuilding(lol) has been put on hold because my budget doesn't allow the kind of daily caloric input required for Gettin Stronker. Kinda pissed. Also my gym sucks, I only have time to go at 6:30AM (which means waking up at 5:45AM [which sucks when you usually can't fall asleep until 1AM]), and I'm generally exhausted.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Golf used 4 quarts of full synth oil in 1,037 miles! A new record!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Is it able to boot from mSATA?

Because I could just ditch the SATA drive completely, for the speed increase and minor power savings of mSATA.
Looks like that's a thing, I think.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc. On Sunday we watched the new(ish) live action Cinderella which was a first for me as my wife did a mommy/daughter date when that one came out. It was really good and I think paid good respect to the original and the story. There was some great back story added that gave greater depth to the step mother (the "villain") as well as making the prince not seem like such a bore but a Cool Guy[upper]TM[/upper]. The actress that played Cinderella really sold the character and you could tell they genuinely were pretty stoked to be playing the part. Helena Bonham Carter was a treasure as well and in the ~5 minutes she was on the screen were laugh out loud hilarious.

Last night we took the kids to the new Beauty and the Beast movie and I was...whelmed. Not overwhelmed, or underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it relied so heavily on CGI? There was a lot about the movie that didn't impress me. As far as Disney princesses go Belle has been the best by far (although Moana is seriously kickass and possibly tied second to Rapunzel). Gaston is one of the best Disney villains of all time and the character just fell flat. There were a couple of shining moments where you were like YES! This is the douche we have grown to hatelove but there was not nearly enough of that. The dubbing for the parts of Emma Watson singing seemed slightly off and it was super distracting. There was a little back story on Beast, Belle's dad Maurice, and some other characters that helped the story a little. I just feel like this wasn't Emma Watson's best performance. Probably the brightest light of the movie was Kevin Kline playing Maurice. As a last note I cannot :lol: enough at people freaking out over LeFou and the "gay moment". The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French and this is the observation of a Mormon dude living in Utah.

I know I am not the only dad in here who has given way more thought on the intricacies of Disney Princess worldbuilding. Am I off base? Is Belle actually not The Best?
Moana kicks so much rear end. If Moana isn't a tearjerker for you on any level you should go to the hospital immediately because your heart has turned to obsidian and you're likely to die at any minute. Girlfriend and I saw it twice in theaters and she just saw Beauty and the Best and thought it was "magical."

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I see nothing wrong with that man's lifestyle choices. :shrug:
I suppose you're just gonna let those mis-matched window frames slide, aren'tcha?

AREN'TCHA?!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fitnesssss: diet is horrible cuz I'm too tired/lazy to feed myself and would rather play video games, no motivation to wake up and go to the gym, not enough protein in the house. It'll get better once I go again but I'm loving tired of zero progress and overthinking/underthinking everything and getting more and more frustrated at my own drat body for being sore/stiff in the joints after only one set of squats.

:buddy:

Oh look, it's nice outside, I can probably start tearing my car apart and fixing the piston rings!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Same boat. No diagnosis/teachers worked with what ever issues I had due to my creativity/smarts. I wired my grade school for Cat 5 @14yrs old. In high school I started to help the former VP who was reassigned to IT. Guy didn't know how IP addressing worked. I would get called out of class on a weekly basis, finally got so bad they assigned me a period just to help him. I was a C+ student, but known by everyone in the school.

I'm actually having the same issue BLK is to some extent. By 11am I'm bored to death even with a list of projects ahead of me. It's not good for me or the business. Thinking it's finally time to see someone about figuring out what's up with me and move on. I don't need this hanging over me and I'm tired of the excuses I keep making.
:smith::hf::smith:

Never had a diagnosis myself because my little brother was severely ADD to the point that he needed to be removed from regular class and put in an alternative learning program where at-risk kids could deal drugs and become successful. 15 years later he's an accomplished chef with a wife and kid and having a great life. I'm full of debt and regret and, much like you, am looking at my enormous to-do list and feeling utterly bored as soon as I sit down. Co-worker pointed out that one of my Windows servers that's running Apache has an expired cert (that I do not care about) and is using insecure SSL/TLS protocols (which I do not care about).

There's a weird feeling that comes over me at those points, and I expect it's the same feeling I would have if I were standing on a cliff with someone trying to push me over: I do not want to do <thing> and nothing in the world is going to make me. It's infuriating. I've had 25 jobs (I'm 32 years old), and I'm just as tired of hopping jobs and explaining to my friends/loves ones why I'm quitting yet another job as I am with my general disposition on the job. Nothing's engaging, I get no sense of relief or accomplishment when something's completed, it just sucks.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every paycheck is a struggle and I'm one random $200 bill away from total collapse.
Same boat, and it sucks cuz I had to take a second job to make ends meet. I went to college so that I could get a job that didn't require me to get a second job. Life! :saddowns:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:sympathy: , rdb. n'thing the "vent if you wanna" cuz dumping that stuff here can be very helpful.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

Not in as many words, but that was th jist of it. I asked him if he'd go along with it if he were in my shoes and his response was "we're not asking you to sign away your ability to find work." Based on that I'm not even sure if he knows what "noncompete" means.

Absolutely no interest in returning to work there either, unless they'd be willing to add a zero to the end of my previous salary.
Well done, sir :golfclap:

Had a similar phone call from a spiteful ex-employer who had insisted I had signed a non-compete after he found out that I got a job at a new tech firm. Told him that no, I didn't, and he just kept getting mad, so I hung up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

I'm bartending a wedding tomorrow night, but I just found out that the bride and groom can't afford to actually pay me. It's worked out that I get to keep all of the leftover booze and any tips I get. I'd like legal tender, but I can always take more alcohol, I guess
Girlfriend and I did this on short-notice for a friend of hers and we had a ball! Same thing, didn't get a paycheck but got to take home two cases of beer and made like a hundred bucks in tips, and the groom's family didn't even drink!

• Locked thread