Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Thanks. Yeah not worried too much about him, I would be kinda shocked if they started busting people with medical conditions. It's the recreational users that need to worry more I would think.

Dude, it's all about easy targets. Same reason ICE are going after the undocumented guys working kitchens and the like instead of the criminals, because they show up to a place at a regular interval and are thus easy to find.

Not gonna tell you not to smoke, but like NM says, federal felonies are tough raps to beat, and the DEA can bootfuck you over your home grow op at will then seize everything you own and auction it to fund their next hit, legal as can be.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I straight up don't even know what the gently caress ranch is. I mean I've heard of it obviously but I've no idea what it's made of or similar to.

*edit: wait is that what 'Cool' Doritos are?

Sour cream, buttermilk, dill, garlic, onion, parsley, mustard, chives, and black pepper.

It's basically vaguely herbal white goo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alton Brown introduced me to throwing a steak onto clean hardwood charcoal coals directly. My God, if you like a seared but still rare steak it is great.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Coarse salt, cracked pepper, and let it rest once you pull it off. If you cut into it right away all the juices will run out, so give it a couple minutes on a plate under some foil to re-absorb them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Buying white meat chicken is such a waste, though. It's got approximately no flavor, and dries out if you look at it wrong.

Bonless thighs forever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

You'll be first on the list SSS.

It's nothing special. My main kit is a Jaeger safety razor and a Tweezerman badger brush and whatever I have for lather soap. I think I'm using Wilkinson Sword Walmart-special stuff right now but I actually think that's part of the problem with nicks. I'm open to recommendations.

Not going to lie though, I have a costco bag of of Gillette good news twin pivoting razors and some edge shaving gel that I go to if I just want a quick shave.

I've also been told I'm weird that I shave in the shower, but drat, shaving in a super hot shower is just so much nicer than standing over a sink.

Get yourself a styptic pencil. It'll shut those nicks up right away.

Seminal Flu posted:

Yep to both of these. My wife and I had some stupid-thick Strip steaks last weekend. Once you get seasoning and cooking down, there is no benefit to a steak house. You can absolutely hit peak steak in your own house.

drat. I want more steak now.

I like steak frites and neither have a deep fryer in my apartment, nor want to keep one stocked with peanut oil so I can make fries every couple weeks. That's about the sum total of why I go out for steaks sometimes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 3, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

And PCOS Bill only now has his first ban? Surprising.

Ban and a 30 day. Nothing wrong with that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

With a 15 year mortgage and the hoa fee I'll be paying $550 per month heat included. I might be able to find a studio apartment for that much, but not a 2 bedroom like this is.

I will definitely own it, it isn't leased or rented.

You are talking about moving into an apartment building you will own part of, but not have control over the building maintenance.

Think about that. You have no control over your neighbors not lighting the whole building on fire. Or the roof falling off and needing to be replaced because the condo board cheaped the gently caress out ten years ago when it was reshingled.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still is in my opinion. As long as you approach your house not as an asset but as it truly is, the benefits of ownership are very much there. Kinda wish they didn't cost a gazillion bucks like they do in Sydney, this place is hosed if you want to buy. Or more precisely, have fun paying 750,000 for a shoebox if you don't want to live 70km out from the CBD.

Yeah, I'd disagree. Property is cheap out here in the flyovers, but I am holding off on buying because the last decade has taught me that there is no such thing as job security anymore. I can bail on a rental and be out an extra month's rent if I have to move to chase work availability. Not so much if I have to try and sell a house in a town that's just had a economic downturn.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I live in a city surrounded by rednecks and I have never heard that.

CT I dunno if you're joking but there is a town called Hicksville like 40 minutes from me.

You're not far enough west. I believe it's a Minnesota/Iowa/Missouri/Nebraska phrase.

angryrobots posted:

So today we took the kids to a matinee showing of the Lego Batman movie, and it was my 3yo's first theatre experience. Movie was pretty good, not as good as The Lego Movie but worth a rental at least if you have kids.

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

Mine:
The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1989 US release)

All Dogs Go to Heaven, also 1989.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

keykey posted:

This, because of the warranty factor, is why I use O'Reilly/Auto Zone.

Same. It's a couple bucks more, but if the part's poo poo, I can go commiserate with the counter guy/girl while they pull a new one from stock and send a nastygram to their supply chain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

My old rear end truck has been smacked in to 5 times since i got it. once it gained a fresh dent. the other 4? piles of plastic from some other car left at the scene. *shrug*. Don't buy nice cars and live here... lol @ housing costs too. its insane.

I always figured that if I got stuck out there I'd go back to driving the rustiest XJ Cherokee imaginable just so people could hit it and watch me laugh at them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There was a mini KKK meet here in town this morning. Only one guy in the robes and hoods but I hear there were about 25 people all told. So some students went and set up shop across the street to protest their hate.

Guess which group got busted up by the police with multiple arrests?

GUESS.

Seroiusly, man, it's Thursday. Pack your poo poo, turn in the keys on Friday, and get the gently caress out of that town.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

scuz posted:

I'll tell you right now that Minnesota is a midwest bastion of sensibility and reason and is usually hiring.

Iowa's fine as well. Still GOPland, but people aren't huge assholes about it and the cities reliably go blue. The pay's probably better up by the twin cities, though. Go west, young man!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

Iowa legislature just went full Republican and are trying to enact awful poo poo all over the place. Twin cities.

They do that every few years. Nothing much comes of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Same paint problem I have, only worse. And you got the 17" wheels! I like those better.
I imagine you know this, but any rear seat from CV, Grand Marquis, and even Town car will fit. Mine has a Grand Marquis rear seat and carpet (over the original rubber mat.) Still using the cop buckets. There's a WalMart minivan console that fits perfectly between the seats, BTW.

edit: go post in the Panther thread. One of us!

Yeah, I'm trying to find some buckets locally. Mine was a detective car, and has the split bench with the drivers' side bolster worn to poo poo from getting in and out on short trips.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Fortunately most thieves are dicks.

I came to use my LR hub nut spanner over Christmas and realised that it must have been in my stolen toolbox. 5 years later (though 5 years without doing a hub seal - gently caress yes!). I keep meaning to photograph all my garage poo poo sometime so that if it happens again it will be easier.

Yeah, I have pics and serials where appropriate of all my high value stuff stashed in a cloud storage just in case. Figure it's easy back up in case of theft or fire.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

We just have the local cops, the county cops, and the Highway Patrol here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

if you don't use YNAB for your spending you might try using a spreadsheet for forecasting your income and known expenses (with due dates) so that this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you. i own YNAB and just can't deal with the tedium of tracking where every single penny goes but forecasting has worked well for me.

YNAB went to a subscription service this year. :(

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Even up here in the land of trees, I find a lot of the lumber at lowes and HD isn't particularly good. Generally I order from a lumber chain that charges a flat 20 dollar fee for delivery which is a no brainer compared to renting a truck.

you need better friends

that's YNAB+, i have the old version from steam. isn't that still available?

Nope, removed from the store in January. :smith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Clearly it wasn't that educational, then.

I've only watched the (massively depressing) film rather than reading the book, and I was kind of "meh" on the concept.

Within a short time of [poorly defined apocalypse], people with practical skills will be valuable enough to either be in charge of survivor settlements, or very valuable to them. No-one who posts regularly here needs to be worried.

The book is even more depressing.

The lack of shoes, IIRC, was because everyone has literally been non-stop walking forever because there's no food anywhere so if you stop to scavenge for anything else you're going to starve to death.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

As a 7 year resident of Grand Rapids and Flint, I'm never living in the midwest ever again.

Why do you live where the wind hurts your face?

Because the cost of living is 1/3 that of anywhere nice that isn't some shithole in Texas/Oklahoma.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, Fords white those years was absolute crap. Seems like every white cop car has bits missing. Mines not as bad as yours, but still there. Or not, as the case may be.

Yeah, makes me happy that mine's black with just white doors.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dogge votes delivered.

I think some of the subforums need a new Hayes manual regarding dog identification.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's a political FYAD-lite. Ballot box stuffing is practically mandatory.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah exactly. I was listening to the police scanner when they called in the tags... it's a 2004. That has to be one of maybe a dozen early QR25s still running.

There's a city I drive through quite a bit that has a Ford Escape with the same camera setup, except it's black, with a roof rack, and the wires actually run through grommets in the body instead of through the doors. You don't notice the cameras unless you're right behind it or next to it; they use it mostly to catch expired registrations with street-parked vehicles :rolleyes:

Yeah definitely, if the person avoiding repo hasn't swapped plates. Easy red flag is if someone printed off 7 day temporary tags, you see that on something matching your repo list and you just hop out and check the VIN.

I would think it'd be more useful for a dedicated skip tracer though, instead of one repo outfit - #1, because that's one hell of an expensive setup, and #2, one skip tracer could probably find multiple cars for multiple companies per day (they're usually paid by the car, right? not by the hour?). I would imagine repo is hell in this neighborhood, it's all apartments with a ton of parking. My apartment complex alone is around 850 apartments.

One of the little subsumed suburbs here in town has one single major street that goes through it, and suddenly drops from 40 to 25mph for the 10 block stretch. They got told they couldn't have a speed camera, so they went out and bought the world's cheapest Ford Focus, strapped that camera setup and a speed gun to it, and parked it in the median.

Made ~$30k in a month on speeding tickets alone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Mam I know I'm fat, but apparently "medically normal" weight for someone my 6'5" height is 150 to 200lb? I'm pretty sure I'd look like a stick figure at that weight.

Dude, I hear the same thing from my doc at 6'6" and 375. Lightest I've been since high school was 285, and I was a beast at that weight and actually in shape enough to crank out pull-ups. Trying to get back there, but losing a hundred pounds is slow in your mid 30's.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

angryrobots posted:

The first renters in my wife's old house, subletted the place without telling us, trashed the place, and left four full truck and trailer loads of poo poo I had to haul off. We won a judgement for over $4k, but in SC it's nearly impossible to collect a private party debt.

I've signed them on to 2 collection agencies in the past couple years, and just checked tax records and they no longer have any vehicles registered in the local counties so it may be time to sign them up again. Maybe they moved to a state where I can garnish wages. gently caress them, I hope I drive them into divorce. :)

Reasons why I will never own rental property, Exhibit A.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A 12 hour shift is tough going man, don't know how you do it. Congrats though!

It's not so bad once you get used to having absolutely no life during the work week. I've been doing 4x12's every week for the last three years, and it's a nice change from the 6x7's I was doing for the bakery.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

That's Sprocket and he's a dachshund-chihuahua mix.

Sprocket is a Good Dog, and needs to be informed of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Every paycheck is a struggle and I'm one random $200 bill away from total collapse.

That is why I work a boring stable computer janitor job now. I loved being a baker, would do it until I died, but I now make triple what I did working in front of an oven six days a week, and no longer have to worry about a busted ankle or a busted windshield ending in eviction.

rdb posted:

Thanks, and don't try to imagine it. And don't worry about what to say because there are no words.

Jesus, man. I'm sorry to hear you and your family are going through such a hard time. No words is right.

• Locked thread