Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
For those that are late;

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how awesome Rhyno's hot sause is, where it's finally getting cooler than the asscrack of Satan in the Australia and warmer than Elsa's lady parts in Europe, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max fan fiction and shipping Furiosa and one of the Wives, LITERALLY A FISH occasionally slam truth bombs while CAT INTERCEPTOR infects our minds and sends us all to the cycle asylum - leading an army of AI cyclists to slaughter hipsters on fixies, WE DONT TALK ABOUT GUNS, cry over the Trumpocopypse, wonder how the gently caress *insert idiot here* hasnt been reprogrammed with a baseball bat, we post cat pics, whatever! Just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people. Except apparently when [list of topics you already know to avoid] comes up. anyway.

The above is a view of the USA, 2018 as President Trump surveys all he rules

..... Annnnd I cant be bothered with more for now, my sinuses are running like a tap. Have at the chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

I think five guys makes a better burger, but habit will put avocado on it, so I'm torn.

AVOCADO?????

EWWWWWWWW

Honestly, gently caress this current BS about avocado on everything. The sandwich bar near me puts it on everything, sushi is infested with it, bloody pizzas have it now. NO. gently caress aavocado

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Either australia has labeled something else avocado or ya'll are broken.

Avocados are broken. loving gross snot.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair, Haas avocados are the only good ones, and I doubt they get them in Aus.

Florida avocados are bland nothingness in comparison.

Unfortuantly Australia has a big Avocado farming industry. Any variety you want, we have them. They should plow the whole loving lot of it back into the soil and grow something worthwhile. Like spiders.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

How long have they been growing them? Avocado trees don't bear good fruit for years (all those stringy disgusing avocados).

Good avocados are like the best thing ever.

For years, it's not a new industry.

The only good avocado is the one nowhere near my plate. Or in the bin

quote:

Burgers yes

Anyone puts that poo poo near my burger gets cut.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

An avocado should be creamy, not mushy.

An Avocado should be throw out

Oddly I had a cat that was addicted to avocado. Bugger would bin raid and open cupboards / fridges to get at one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

202 broken people.

202 people who are right in thinking avocado tastes like rear end you mean.

BraveUlysses posted:

there's probably more otakukin on there internet

What in the Lord's name is that?

Wait, I dont think I want to know. Not googling

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This is because roast dinners are bland as hell

We can argue about pineapple on a pizza. We can argue about how poo poo avocado is. But you do NOT diss roast dinners mate - Roast dinners are loving awesome and that's the bottom line... even lovely roast dinners are full of flavour and goodness!

Roast lamb and veggies is basic as gently caress but it's drat good poo poo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Quit enjoying something the way you like it because it's not the way i like it :argh:

Be gone, beef snobs, BE GONE!

I NEED THIS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Goes great with a little bit of ketchup.

No thanks, I'll have as is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

You bring the whisky. Cask Strength or gtfo.

Sure. When you want me to come up?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

If you're not taking bites straight out of the cow, you ain't poo poo.

Done that. Just make sure the cow is well sedated or dead first, they kinda kick hard. Oh and they are actually pretty disgusting animals in the flesh, they really dont taste good if you get a mouthful of skin and you are very likely to eat some pretty nasty bacteria

scrubs season six posted:

It's a good reason to never go to a mediocre (or even good) steakhouse but I think there's still a point to going to real top end steakhouses. Namely ultra high quality meat that isn't easily located, plus the stuff they serve besides the steak.

This is quite true. A top line steak will be taken from premium herds and and aged quite differently. Usually there is a bidding war over a quality carcass by butchers - the best meat come out of hook and hoof competitions, where the aim is to produce the best steer living and the best carcass dead. Those hunks of beef go for some serious dollar per kg, anything from 10 to 100 times the usual lean price, mostly because the producers can then demand top dollar and get access to the best customers. A normal consumer wont get their hands close to any of that, the best you can do is get them via a premium butcher who usually also supplies a top end restaurant. Maybe. But you then wont get access to the aging process.

oh and I would point out that how an animal is bled out has a direct effect on the end quality of the meat. Believe it or not, proper Kosher / Halal slaughtering gives you the best quality meat (proper as in done bloody fast with as little stress to the animal as possible, bleeding out with a rapid loss of awareness). Knida ick so the captive bolt process is the best we have otherwise. Bleeding out leads to less death hormones degrading meat taste.

So you can make a drat fine steak at home, you might not be able to access the absolute best meat however that a real top end steakhouse can get.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HAHAHA WTF our mod cat jailed himself? Didnt know you could do that

Cage posted:

And PCOS Bill only now has his first ban? Surprising.

Good loving riddance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: TOP DOG NOMINATIONS ARE OVER. TIME TO VOTE! CLICK ME! :siren:

Voted for a Good Boy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cage posted:

I think I posted in the first thread about 5 years ago when I got my job and thought I could afford a house. They put me in my place pretty quick.

I will give it another read though now that I've lowered my expectations a bit. Thanks!

Always remeber that in accounting terms, houses are NEVER an asset. They are always a liability. Once you actually work out the true cost of home ownership, you'll see the truth of that very rapidly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Car wiring is the worst thing to deal with. Especially butchered wiring by a previous owner

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

How does that work? surely the paid-off proportion of your house should count as an asset? While it doesn't bring in money it saves me paying rent and you have to live somewhere or in something?

Saving money by not being rent isn't booked as an asset. Your primary residence is a liability which would be far more apparent if we were not in a period where housing is appreciating in price irrationally - Sydney is a great example of how irrational that appreciation has been.

Why? Because your home ALWAYS costs you. Taxes. Repairs and maintenace. Your time in mowing the lawns (opportunity cost). In accounting terms it is sitting there costing you money every day. Much like your car isnt an asset either, it's a liability. If you sell it and realise a profit after taxes and all your other costs that you sank into the house over the years, that doesnt make it an asset either... the money you bank due to the sale is the asset, NOT the house.

This only applies to your primary residence. If you have an investment home, different accounting rules apply to work out if it actually is an asset or a liability. This was one of the real headscratchers when I was studying Finance and Accounting when the lecturer asked us "So... who thinks houses are asset or liability?" and then proceeds to school those who said asset exactly why they aint.

IF you own your home outright, then you have a liability with the potential to be turned into a cash asset.... depending on how much you spent to get to that position in the first place. I guess if you inherited a home you win the lottery on that one. For those that finance a house.... yeah you probably wont see a cent back in reality. For an example, the home I sold 10 years ago had a 102,000 dollar appreciation. Once however I worked out how much in interest, repairs and maintenace, land taxes etc I had paid in those three years, you know how much I made?

2400 bucks. And that is simply down to the irrational Sydney market. If the price had followed rational appreciation, I'd have taken a bath.

Your primary residence is not an asset. Dont confuse potential value with where a house goes in T-Accounting.

I might also point out that cars are also generally not assets either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

but the trade used to be worth it for the freedom and stability of owning your own property.

Still is in my opinion. As long as you approach your house not as an asset but as it truly is, the benefits of ownership are very much there. Kinda wish they didn't cost a gazillion bucks like they do in Sydney, this place is hosed if you want to buy. Or more precisely, have fun paying 750,000 for a shoebox if you don't want to live 70km out from the CBD.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

ITT:
"You shouldn't treat [things] as an asset as they can potentially cost you a hell of a more money than you've invested, and you probably can't sell them if things go south"

*Gets married and has kids*

ITT : The person correctly pointing out homes are not an asset is neither married nor has kids

No one is saying don't buy. What IS being said is approach housing with the correct attitude.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

im buying a house that has no garage or even a drive lol

You bought a shoebox in the middle the road in Yorkshire?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) have agreed to purchase Opel/Vauxhall from GM for 2.2billion Euros:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/psa-confirms-eu22bn-deal-buy-opelvauxhall

I guess this screws Holden in Australia, as they are depending on the new Opel Insignia to replace the Aussie built Commodore when production shuts down in October.

PSA also purchased Chrysler's Euro division in the late 70s.

Same article also states that GM and PSA are doing supply agreements for Holden and Buick so not screwed.

Edit : Altho I seriously doubt there's going to even be a Holden beyond the next Commodore anyway

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 7, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Bum gently caress egypt, or "far away"

Never heard it used around here, but I've heard "east bum gently caress"

Usually it's "Bum gently caress Nowhere" here. Or "Bum gently caress Empty"

Rhyno posted:

Bum gently caress egypt?

What?

Think Hicksville but with a lot less people. And one very lonely CSB ready to hammer that rear end in a top hat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I live in a city surrounded by rednecks and I have never heard that.

CT I dunno if you're joking but there is a town called Hicksville like 40 minutes from me.

HAHAH what? There is an actual place called Hicksville and not just shorthand for "One horse town in the middle of nowhere populated by inbreds"?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well. My description of Bum gently caress Nowhere is actually pretty apt then :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

No, I'm a posho southerner. House has room for a drive or maybe even a small garage but the council would need to extend the road a bit first :mrgw:

Disappointed you of all people didnt use the reference

Movies .... the first movie I can definantly remember seeing was in the early 1970's (I want to say 1973?) and being Snow White in one of it's many re-releases. I think there were earlier movies, that's the one I can swear to as we nearly got locked in the cinema. Stuck in the memory that one :)

The movie I can date precisely was Star Wars.... in it's actual original theatrical cut with the original opening scroll that did not reference an episode number, it was just straight Star Wars. I got to see Star Wars:SE in the same theatre on it's opening night and that stands out as the single best theatre experience. The crowd was amped and seeing Star Wars ont he big screen after soooo many TV and VHS reruns was a straight back to childhood moment. I dont mind saying I teared up with pure joy when the Lucasfilm logo appeared..... drat that was a great night.

quote:

20 years later i still refuse to watch that loving movie.

I refuse to see Event Horizon again because it was so loving awful. My then wife insisted I say to the end.... and was rather apologetic when it finished. I *really* wanted to walk out of that turd

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The first R-Rated I saw was Mad Max. Which really bizarred me out at the time as Mad Max 2 was M rated here (i was just old enough to see it) and Mad Max had no where near the violence or naked boobs. Or rape.

Literally rated R due to swearing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Hey, how many other healthcare plan bills do you think are getting sent through congress in 2017? This might be the greatest of the year by virtue of being the only one

E: also, literally every time this stuff comes up, I just want to take the paste eaters who draft these, and explain how insurance works and what elasticity of demand means. Because seriously, they don't know how insurance works, this will only make it MORE expensive

Just smash those idiots with a cricket bat until they get the idea that maybe, just maybe, Universal Healthcare isnt communist but an actual thing a proper First World country does?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Demographics are only moving one way and I wonder what these people are going to do then.
GM talking about wanting the EPA regulations relaxed seems extremely short sighted of them, do they think they are going to be relaxed forever? They are driving themselves right into a neo-malaise era, again. Oh look everything's suddenly changed and we didn't innovate at all oh nooooooooo *declares bankruptcy again*

Let alone not a single country is going to water down their regulations and that thence ends any and all possibilty of export unless GM does an expensive re-engineer. Or sales in California if that state insists on it's own emission / economy compliance.

But then again, GM is well known for being stupid and short sighted.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

non-controversial topic: pinapple pizza is an affront to humanity and is the reason why we are all going to hell

we must pay for our crimes against pizza

I'm going to have pineapple on a pizza today. Because it's loving awesome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

If I don't like a given pizza, that just means I need more bourbon.

Except fish. gently caress having fish on pizza. That is "Jesus Christ, what's wrong with you?" territory.

Whhhhhat? Seafood pizzas are like my crack cocaine. Especially sweet chili ones.

Granted tho, I'm a "If it comes from the sea, I'll eat it" person.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

scrubs season six posted:

We'll get universal healthcare soon enough. Right now the lower middle class and middle class hate the idea because it means lazy poors will get coverage for free/cheaper than them, but as the middle class continues to get destroyed more and more people will move into the poors category and then we'll get universal healthcare and/or full on class war.

It's those very poors who keep voting Republican who are the ones most likely to scream about other poors getting poo poo for free.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like they earned their police attention, then.

They just should have bashed the fash rather than egged them.

And frankly protest permits are simply a way govts try to get around free speech. Legit protests and legit free speech like protesting loving racists cunts absolutly should not require a goddamn permit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

I'm just looking at the recent history of anti-Trump protesters being aggressive and violent and provocative and saying *maybe* its not bad cops.

What history? The overwhelming number of anti-Trump protests have been peaceful - and the idiots doing the violence are a very small handful of professional idiots who are only there to start poo poo. And you do know that if said idiots aren't there, it's usually the police who start poo poo in the first place?

You also don't here about peaceful protests because the media aint interested in thousands of peaceful marchers. But they are sure as gently caress interested in a handful of fuckwits.

Fuckwits that I add ARE often paid to start poo poo to make peaceful protestors look bad. Sometimes paid and co-ordinated by the police.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A cartoonist who specialized in drawing lovely racist or at best race baiting (for the Aust equivalent of the Daily Mail) cartoons died. Yeaaaaaah, I'm not gonna feel sorry for your loss even if you were a friend of his.

.... too far saying a dead racist is the only good racist?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Holy if you have not seen Logan then get the gently caress out of the house and see it NOW

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

An electric fence doesn't kill or actually harm anyone

Ummmm......... yeah I'm not so sure about that, especially the harm bit.

nm posted:

This gets you in trouble in the us.

I beleive that this is in some ways legal in Aust with the proper warnings in place and built to regulations. Electric fences are also legal in a suburban situation as long as they built to local regulations.

As an aside, a good way to make sure a fence isnt live is use a straw of paspalum or whatever other stalk grass you might have and use that to touch the fence first. It'll tickle but a good deal less than the back of the hand method. Which is of course a HELL of a lot better than just grasping a live fence.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

ilkhan posted:

AWD is for rain, not dirt.

Them's fightin words

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hullo Melbourne. I see your traffic sucks as per usual.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To be fair you can learn the basics (and get some fantastic shots) on really cheap equipment. She (like many photographers) may have all the kit but no eye for it... It happens.

This is a really good point. Older cameras are most certainly just as capable of producing great shots. Granted tho, a good lens will allow you to take a shot that a cheaper setup wont allow you to do. Which is why I love the L-Glass I have, it's not that the body cant take the shot, it's more the lens gives you more flexibilty to get a shot that a lesser lens would struggle with. Or they work in a wider enviroment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well.... I'm in a dive of a hotel in Melboure. I'm pretty sure there's a prositute working two doors down

Either that or someone is calling to God really loudly.

Oh wait LOL it's a guy banging his mistress. He's talking loud enough how she sucks cock better than his wife does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

His wife is in the next room, she gets off on being degraded and has a voyeur fetish.

I'm pretty sure this hotel has seen and heard a lot worse.

Not that I care either way, consenting adults can do what they want. Just rather amusing :)

• Locked thread