Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fridge corn posted:

im not a steak snob and i don't mind sauce on a steak

If you go to a place that considers themselves high brow, your steak comes with sauce and they call it Jus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I agree that I can cook a steak as good as any steakhouse BUT

I have a couple restaurants that occasionally get cuts that I just don't have easy access to. I had a huge aged bone-in cowboy cut ribeye a couple months ago that was amazing. Rare, of course.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

nm posted:

My local butcher does the meat for most of the better resturants in town and does thier own dry ageing.
You all just need a higher class of butcher I guess.

The periods of time I haven't lived here have been quite painful due to not having that. Even more than beef, pork really depends on sourcing. Commercial pork is absolute poo poo with no marbling at all. A good "heritage" pig just produces a much better chop.

If you butcher doesn't buy halves of cows and break them down, you need to find a real butcher.

Prime rib is a good thing to go to a resturant for because how many times a year can you justify making that at home?
We just added Kunekune pigs to our operation with two sows, one of which is bred. They say farrow to fork is seven months...how does AI feel about pasture raised pork bacon?

Look at that beauty

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

gently caress you doing in chesterfield¿

I'm drunk in Camden

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well hell you're right up the road. What time does dirt start flying tomorrow and where can I go if I'm welcome?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FatCow posted:

What horrible turn did your life take that you ended up in Camden without going to CMP?

Ha, a free meal. There was a new 'modern Mexican and tequila lounge' we've been meaning to try. The food was good (honestly it was exactly like a regular Mexican restaurant, but expensive), the drinks were better. However my old rear end ought not drink something called 'the kiss of death'. I definitely ought not drink two of them.

I have been to CMP a few times. A buddy of mine used to race a mustang in NASA camaro-mustang-challenge, and I got to do some ride along laps.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Buy land.

Currently trying to buy another vehicle and the seller is glacial in his communication. It is driving me insane.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How to cut down an overgrown Bradford pear, which is also hanging over the pasture fence, in 7 easy steps:

Drink coffee.

Cut down the easy limbs.

Put them in the burn pile. Repeat.

Now the fun part. Tie a rope from the offending limb, to your pull vehicle. Recommend a bowline knot or similar. Apply enough tension to relieve the limb pressure, careful not too much.

Cut the lower side of the limb, now relieved of compression force, about 3/4 through. Watch for cracks forming, Bradford Pear is very brittle.

Pull with your vehicle, careful not to overstress the rope. If done right, it will break and fall just as it gets over center.

Repeat as necessary. Rake up, you're done.

Now call someone with a backhoe. I loving love my little tractor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

the spyder posted:

Who wants to convince me buying a rental property is a bad idea and instead, I should buy 10 acres in the middle of BFE.

I vote for BFE. Just do your research and try to keep your property taxes down. Also make sure you know if there is any continuing land management you'll have to keep up with, or else you're just paying taxes on extra land that's only a headache.

We bought 9 acres 3 years ago and it has been a massive undertaking. I'm proud of what we've built, but sometimes also miss my former small house on 1 acre (that could/would be paid off by now).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So today we took the kids to a matinee showing of the Lego Batman movie, and it was my 3yo's first theatre experience. Movie was pretty good, not as good as The Lego Movie but worth a rental at least if you have kids.

Got me thinking, what was everybody's first movie you remember seeing in a movie theatre (or drive in)?

Mine:
The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1989 US release)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm going to have pineapple on a pizza today. Because it's loving awesome

Same. Within the hour, probably.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I have no basis for an opinion on the first two, but for the third, I'd always choose the "real" 4x4 of the Trooper over the pseudo-SUV CRV.

No argument that the trooper is a much cooler ride...but the CRV is the better commuter vehicle. Far more reliable and better fuel mileage.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Yes.

On a pizza? NO.

If you want a Honda commuter, buy a Civic or Accord.

If you want an SUV, buy a real one.

Ok but the crv was one of the options presented, and commuter vehicle was the use we were given.

Not sure why you're knocking the CRV in any case, it's an economical hatchback.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

I know.

They're poo poo too.

Good good.

Let the hate flow through you

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

LS400 is a beast. Find one. Do it. The only thing to watch for is timing belt. It's not hard, but it takes some concentration. Easy 1 day job, though.

(also, the starter, but that's more of a fear factor than an actually common repair)

The starter isn't even that bad, and in my experience gave plenty of advance warning so I had a rebuilt Denso on hand before it failed.

The intake isn't hard to pull, easier than a SBC.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

scrubs season six posted:

Is there an AI thread that is effectively "generic truck" or "generic 4x4" talk"?

There's an offroading/4x4 thread, but I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for.

For a while we had a "tell me about buying a truck" thread that was turned into the de facto general truck chat, but eventually it fell into archives. I think a general trucks and towing/trailering thread would be active here.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fridge corn posted:

man loads of posts itt, i was expecting a meltdown but... 😔

Yeah apparently a lot of posters itt have serious issues

...with a roomy and efficient transportation appliance, because it was offered with a mostly useless AWD system. You could however get the previous gen CR-V (that mgs is looking at) with a manual. I woulda thought that would earn it a pass, but oh well.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Humanity is made up almost entirely of stupid assholes, there's no use trying to figure out whooo jack booted whooom.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Got involved in a discussion on my wife's FB about truck and trailer GVWR and when you need a CDL and zomg I want that hour of my life back.

Short answer: ask a transport officer *in your state*. Be very careful about anything that crosses state lines.

Long answer: look at the tag on the door of your pulling vehicle. If the GVWR is 26k or less you should be ok.

Look at the mfg plate on your trailer. If 10k or less you're good. If over 10k, it depends on how your state interprets and enforces the federal motor carrier rules, and whether or not you are engaged in business.

Some people claim that their state adds the individual mfg gross weight ratings of the truck and trailer, and if that is over 26k you need a CDL. I say that's retarded because if you actually did that, the truck could be grossly overloaded. In the example that was given, a 1 ton Ford truck had a GVWR of 14k, and they had a horse trailer with a GVWR of 12.2k. If you actually loaded the 6k curb weighed truck down with 8k of gravel rock let's say, then tried to hook up a trailer that weighed 12k, you would be wayyyy over the mfg GCWR of 19.5k.

I demonstrated that their vehicle with trailer fully loaded would have an actual estimated weight of about 15k. In SC, you need weighted tags on the truck, but so long as you're not using this vehicle to engage in business, you're ok with a regular license.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Your friend was right, if the GVWR of the truck and trailer combined is over 26,000lbs, you need a CDL, provided the weight rating of the trailer is over 10,000lbs. It doesn't actually have to weigh 26,000lbs. That's federal motor carrier law.

Edit: http://www.hotshotcarrier.com/CDL_License.php

This is why I appended my statement with *in SC*. The transport police were burning people up for this, as it falls marginally within federal rules for requiring CDL, and/or DOT numbers if operating a business.

Our governor put a stop to it. In SC, transport police will only stop and cite if the tow vehicle has a GVWR over 26k (or they see something very unsafe). The only reason I know this, is because we had a presentation from DOT on Wednesday, and he told us about it. He said they were really hitting the lawn care guys, who are also actually doing business and thus fall under federal motor carrier just with a trailer rated over 10k, but now they let them be.

What's really ridiculous about this scenario is that it potentially encourages using a lower rated tow vehicle or trailer...but for what reason? Why not use a trailer that's rated well above what you're loading on it? Meanwhile in most states you can buy an RV that weighs 40k with air brakes, and need no CDL or inspection or anything.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Keep in mind federal law supersedes state. If your governor directs them not to enforce it that's great. Just don't leave SC. Horse people with duallies and goosenecks generally like to travel and need to be aware of this.
Yeah this was almost exactly what I told them. Her husband has a CDL class A, I suggested he take the rig by a weigh station and verify with the DOT cops that she'd be ok in-state. (I have a class A as well, which is how I got roped into this conversation)

We do have CDL class F which is for non-commercial combination over 26k. I wonder though, if she attempts to get her CDL-F in their rig, if the examiner will require current FMC inspection stickers on the truck and trailer, and trailer tags (SC currently doesn't require plates or paying property tax on non-commercial trailers, so most people don't run plates)? Can of worms there.

Also since the class F is only for non commercial, if she hauled out of state to a show that had the potential to win prize money... If caught she's illegal, cause prize money = commercial. The whole thing is just silly to me. She could hook the trailer to my old dually with a GVWR of 11.4k and be totally legal anywhere. New F350...illegal because of a baloney mfg rating.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Leave it on daylight savings time. :colbert:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fridge corn posted:

It's the quickest way to get out of indiana

drat

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For the last few years, I've turbotaxed it and broken even with the feds, gotten a bit back from state. I've been fine with this, but this year I went to an accountant on a recommendation aaaand JFC I feel like I'm going to jail with this yuuuge refund.

....dropping off our last 3 years returns to get looked at tomorrow. :stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Overheard conversation between two little old ladies in the booth next to me, taking about their health issues -

"Oh I was run over a forklift and drug..." :stonk:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

"Try searching" = we are a closed group and do not wish to increase membership.

Especially if they don't have a sticky or FAQ. Anyhow despite owning a couple different cars with an enthusiast following, I never was inclined to join any specific car forum.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

scrubs season six posted:

Now, I Am Not A Lawyer, but my guess is that there's zero chance of him ever really getting in trouble since it wasn't him doing this of his own accord, it was a tax preparer doing it for him. He might have to pay back the many thousands of dollars of taxes he probably skated on, but he's not going to go to white collar resort prison, let alone pound me in the rear end prison, because he didn't intend to defraud the government, he just did what his accountant told him to do (accountant should be in prison).

Nah, you're liable for your own return. I think they can penalize preparers separately, but as far as the irs is concerned, you are responsible.

That being said, my return is a little more complicated and I probably should have been going to a professional already. She asked a lot of questions and I think did some figuring with depreciation on our rental property which was purchased pre-recession. If I'm guessing, it's probably a mix of that, and some fudging, hopefully with some knowledge of what may trigger an audit.

And if I get audited, ho loving well I'll play dumb and write them a check. It wasn't that yuuge of a return, probably closer to average for families that itemize, but I'm not used to getting anything. Anyhow, the irs is understaffed and audits are wayyy down over the last 5 or 6 years. It's their fault for making such an obtuse tax code full of loopholes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Speaking as a person known to assemble cylinder heads on the kitchen table (when I was single), I still would never bring a used car battery in the house.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

that ad is suspect. 97s usually go for a fair bit of coin as they're the last year of the obs. Same with the 94s being the last of the IDIs.
that *should* be a 15 grand truck. or at least, here.

Agreed. That ad screams scammer, but you could try it anyway. They are getting smarter, using numbers with a local area code.

Worth a mention, you don't *have* to go diesel, depending on your use. For the occasional, not long distance towing that I do, I found a clean 3500 8.1/allison for $8500. Even at 9mpg, the price difference to get the same truck with a duramax would buy years and years of fuel for me. Same with the LS 6.0 in the 2500HD, also a good motor with obvious aftermarket support.

But the 7.3 powerstroke fords are coming down in price finally. I've seen a couple nice ones around 10k.

Edit: Just posted

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry about the car everdave.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife sent me this picture, of her washing the truck with our little one right after we got it. It also had a fresh pretty decent paint job. A week later I noticed both rear dually fenders were covered in light scratches. Pretty sure it was the same thing that happened to yours. My wife didn't like it any better than yours when I pointed out out, and I wasn't mean about it either.

The culprit

Then a few months later, my wife backed the truck into my tractor loader bucket, in her words "I knew it was there but I couldn't see it so I thought it was good". Nice long scrape, forwards and back on the fiberglass fender. At least it won't rust I guess.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

not sure how to embed in posting from phone
From the url you posted, click the image itself, then when it reloads click on the share button at the bottom and you can grab the direct link.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I finally decided to clean the cargo bed on our utility cart, of all the crap that collected on it during our last fencing project. Got unloaded and...why is it still leaning heavily to one side?

Ducked my head under the back and, yeah I don't think the leaf spring should be higher in the middle than the ends. ...Ten minutes and $140 later, heavy duty springs, extended u bolts, and bushings/hardware is on the way from Amazon.

So that's fun, I need more unplanned projects. Probably going to look at this F450 sometime this weekend. Crew cab fully loaded Lariat, which is pretty weird for a 450. 7.3 powerstroke of course.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finished the newest project Binky, and like every previous episode, wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong in my life

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

clam ache posted:

I'm in Louisville till Tuesday. Celebrating my aniversary with my wife. Anyone have any good recommendations? Just did the Louisville slugger tour. Was awesome due to an amazing tour guide. Also this city feels tiny compared to Chicago but still a bigish city.

The Village Idiot had a pork belly something or other, with goose fat fries, that was the most memorable thing from our trip I think (went to Rolex 3 day event at keeneland with the wife).

The Lexington Diner had chicken and waffles that my wife says was amazing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

From what I've seen my co-workers do with a clutch (that makes my eye twitch), I think self taught with some reading up on how it operates, could only be better.

"That's really bad for the clutch" I say, as friction disc particles drift lazily as smoke into the cabin

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I guess jeep allow the lamp to be disabled, because you may run aftermarket wheels without sensors? So maybe it's ok if fully disclosed?

NitroSpazzz posted:

As someone who recently started shopping big trucks...that's a drat nice truck

Looked at it yesterday. Probably a good deal for someone at $13.5k, but the interior was pretty shot and the AC was inop (seller claimed was working on phone, and said they would have it fixed). Shame about interior, was originally a pretty nice almost saddle leather like in the king ranch trucks.

Really a lot of that would probably clean up, my biggest concern is that a farm owned it and regular maintenance is just a big question mark.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

O really? Kawasaki on what?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My youngest puked herself on the way home.

Let me tell you how much I love having to unbuckle a car seat with everything covered in milk and chicken vomit..

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

That first part is just Corporateamerica.txt
Penny pinching is everywhere you look, and it's always in the most asinine ways.
Our new hires take two years to hit what I started out at 11 years ago.

Of course, 3 out of the 4 last hirees turned down the job offer. Nobody is gonna work in SC summer heat for minimum wage, especially when they're already working for $10+ somewhere else. Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The first renters in my wife's old house, subletted the place without telling us, trashed the place, and left four full truck and trailer loads of poo poo I had to haul off. We won a judgement for over $4k, but in SC it's nearly impossible to collect a private party debt.

I've signed them on to 2 collection agencies in the past couple years, and just checked tax records and they no longer have any vehicles registered in the local counties so it may be time to sign them up again. Maybe they moved to a state where I can garnish wages. gently caress them, I hope I drive them into divorce. :)

• Locked thread