Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Marvember Chat Thread: Leaping Over The End of Febtober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Not strictly related, but one of my weird "things" is not having gravy with a roast dinner. I like the combination of different flavours and textures, and never understand why people want to mask that with sticking gravy over the whole affair.

Gravy goes on the potatoes. The only things beef needs are salt and pepper.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The Locator posted:

Sometimes the gravy is good enough that everything else on the plate just becomes a gravy delivery system. :v:

That's stew, and absolutely okay. I love stew, my recipe is basically "throw beef and veg in slow cooker, drown it in beer, wait 12 hours" anything goes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today at work I found out my job security p. much hinges upon a good person with heart problems not returning to work. :v:

The bosses have finally admitted the writing is on the wall and offered my entire shift a voluntary buyout because they have to eliminate 52 jobs (13 out of 77 on each shift) in my already poor as gently caress and brokeass city.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You know it is bad when your boss' boss' boss is the one doing the talking, and he talks about future downsizing as if it is going to happen. We've already started getting rid of some of the bindery equipment and are potentially phasing out more.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

lovely man. What kind of work are you looking for? Move up north and there's some decent job opportunities still. Lumber mills, mines, etc. Good pay, to.

Material handling preferably, I drive a forklift.

By moving North do you mean I should be looking for jobs in Sudbury or North Bay? Or are we talking like, Northern Ontario kind of North and I should be looking more towards Thunder Bay?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Take glasses off to shower. Can't see poo poo.

As do I.

I shave in the shower, usually with my eyes closed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

Sudbury/North Bay/Timmins/Kirkland Lake/Matheson, etc. If you speak any French, hit up the Val D'or/Rouyn Noranda areas. Lots of mining and forestry, and its picking up a bit, so if you got experience you might do alright. Most jobs are $25 or more an hour.
Lots of the side-companies are hiring to (ie suppliers, contractors, etc.) Definitely worth looking into.

Je ne parles pas ding dong. I can sorta read it though. Unfortunately the experience is what hits me.

I can flip quarters onto the forks, but I have under one licensed year on a lift truck. I drive it for 6-8 hours a shift though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Versa threw a CEL about an hour ago, will have to pull the code in the morning.

And the little plastic cover for the exterior door lock on the driver's side door latch popped off when I shut the door. Little plastic tabs broke off inside the door and goddamnit...

Didn't I just buy this thing 3 weeks ago?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Also, if you think it gets better when you fully own the house.

It doesn't.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So you're building a mcmansion in a neighbourhood of unoriginality?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
HOAs are why humanity needs to be exterminated.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Over the course of 30 years you could easily spend 30% of a house's value on maintaining it and upgrades.

E: Example: My foundation is stone, and over 100 years old. At some point in time the entire exterior face of the foundation will need to be dug out and repointed, and waterproofed. We're talking up to $50k of work on a house I spent $185k on. I would never get that money back out of this house.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 5, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't remember what came out in 1991 or what my mom had recorded on VHS off the air by then, anything pre 1993 is kinda fuzzy for me.

But I did see Jurassic Park at a drive-in, might have been the last time I saw a movie at a drive-in too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

New keyboard day!

Code Keyboard. Cherry MX clears. I'm tired just from typing this sentence.

Tired? Son you need to convert to the truth and the light that is the buckling spring. Might I suggest:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f77-model-f-keyboard/

Some crazy person ordered a new production run of Model Fs and I am desperately trying to figure out how I can mismanage my finances so I can get one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wrar posted:

Oh hell no. My wife is loud enough on a set of MX Blues.

I have a CM QFR with all greens in it, still too soft. Right now I'm typing on a Model M born in May of 1986.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's awesome.

I'm That Guy at work who bangs away on a Model M for eight hours a day. A few of the key caps are getting smooth but the mechanism is as tight (and loud) as ever. :kheldragar:

You can get new dyesub pbt caps from Unicomp to replace the worn ones.

I too banged away at over 90wpm in cubeville on the only model m in town. You could hear my typing over just about everything in the office and I steadfastly refused to switch to something else.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You want a truly loud typing experience? I used to have an Olivetti Linea 98, now that was loud.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

What's so great about those?

As compared to a Model M?

Slightly softer keys.
True NKRO vs 3KRO for a Unicomp M or 2KRO for an original IBM.
Does not need to be bolt-modded for keyswitch disassembly. All you need is a screwdriver and pliers.
Metal case.
Reconfigurable.
Mature modding base beyond what can be done with a M.
E: Arguably longer lifetime switches because the M does use a membrane as opposed to the capacitive switches in the F.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

bruh... the Cherry MX clears are like 150% the force required to actuate a Model M switch. They actuate at 65cn and bottom out at 100.
I love the clears though. They're perfect for office use because they are so quiet. There's a little bit of a ringing after the switch returns, but I'm not sure if there's a way to dampen that or not. Either way it's nowhere near as loud as some MX blues.

Actuation force is 68cn the whole way down.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Nobody's linked deskauthority yet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What about alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce?

Some place in the States does that, I can't remember where though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Considering all of MGS's accomplishments, not limited to owning multiple ACVWs, and being brave enough to walk away from a toxic relationship. A 1UZ starter should be a walk in the valley for him.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh my god guys.

I just got my new pillow top mattress delivered today and it is sooooo much better than the clapped out garbage I'd been sleeping on.

Only thing about it? It's like 8" taller than the previous mattress and boxspring combo.

How tall is your boxspring? They make thinner ones to go with taller mattresses.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My security system is a woman in her late 80s that lives next door to me and has a composition notebook for each house on the street with drat detailed records of our comings and goings. She's called the cops on theives a couple of times.

She's that neighbour.

E: Once a few months ago she called my boss to relay a message to me about a pile of ice at the end of the driveway and that I shouldn't just take a run at it like I normally do with plowbanks. I then came home to find out she'd spent two hours trying to remove the ice until other neighbours saw her and my entire driveway was shovelled and cleared.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 10, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, North of the border it's a bit different. Some provinces have their own provincial forces, like here in Ontario our "state troopers" are the OPP and we call them OPP. In provinces without their own police force, the "state troopers" are the RCMP and they're well, Mounties.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

No fun nicknames? Also in Provinces with OPP, do you get OPP (yeah you know me) and Mounties?

Well, only Ontario has the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police if it wasn't obvious), not sure what the other provincial forces are called. We do have RCMP, but basically they fill roles like border protection and federal-level policing here. In say, one of the territories, they will fill almost every role from municipal parking enforcment all the way up to fed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

No local dudes? Interesting!

Larger municipalities tend to have their own police too, so some places have local yokels. We have our own municipal force, while the other nearby large towns either rely on OPP or our cops depending on contract.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been using Mint and am finding the support for Canadian stuff to be really lacking.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have four options for lumber, spending an hour at Home Depot, spending 15 minutes at Home Hardware, spending several hours at an Amish sawmill, or driving at least an hour out of the city to the next-nearest lumber yard (Home Hardware).

At HD I can pick the boards and am that guy when it comes to spending an hour ripping through two piles just to get 6 2x8s, indoors.

At HH I can (and try to) pick the boards out of HD-quality piles outside, but the yard crew will run off and gather everything else while I'm after those 2x6s and I'll end up with hockey sticks for all the rest of my lumber, I've literally been handed boards that came in multiple pieces and given poo poo for giving them poo poo about it.

I know of several local Amish sawmills and they'll sell me anything they can get their hands on, including hardwood that would normally be expensive custom-order through a big box, but all dimensional lumber is rough cut which has its own pros and cons, no pressure-treated. They can also do a lot of custom work which is great for matching old trim and flooring.

Everything else is way too long a drive or is ship-in, thusly, I have wasted countless hours of my life at Home Depot.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Duel is great, especially in how it characterizes the truck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Goodbye you rotten piece of trash, I hope you end up cubed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's so happy to be red.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sealed beams for life.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
RIP Chuck Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-YF_dTTZM

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

What's the Bourbon Trail? Sounds like my cup of tea.

Imagine Oregon Trail but with a lot more drinking.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

So basically Deadwood, then?

Fine. Sign me up.

I honestly have no idea and pulled that out of my rear end.

I want to believe that it involves both though.

E: There's a retired cop car in one of the small towns I drive through on my way to my folks' place. White roof, there is no paint in a giant semi-circular spot starting across the entire top of the windshield to about a third of the way back. Every year another inch or two of paint flakes off around the circle so it kinda has this gradient of cancer to surface rust to bare metal thing going on.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 19, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Back to weight chat, in September of 2016 I was about 265lbs, probably closer to 270lbs. I don't have a bathroom scale but the one I use for weighing bales at work says I now weigh 212lbs fully clothed (resolution of 2lbs and probably +/-8lbs accuracy). I'm 6'3" and am actually starting to get worried because under 200lbs is not really healthy for me. When I was down to 185lbs about five years ago I could see my ribs and shoulder blades. My eating habits have not really changed, I easily consume 3000+ calories a day (sometimes in just one sitting like a true goon) mostly in carbs.

The only real change has been a promotion at work but I'll eat throughout the shift and my new job is probably about as physical as my old one though now I work full time instead of part time.

Also, now all of my clothes are too big and half my shirts look like tents my pants are so folded in they chafe really bad and it is really frustrating because I don't want to have to rebuy literally my entire closet and dresser.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On my x230 you have to basically hook up a raspberry pi and dump/mod/reflash the bios with it running and pulled apart using a test clip that barely held onto the bios chip.

It was a huge pain in the rear end just to save $50 over the lenovo-sold variant of the card.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A 12 hour shift is tough going man, don't know how you do it. Congrats though!

Try 12 hour shifts on a continental rotation.

I am not an EMT yet I know their pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When I was house shopping a few years ago I came across this really nice looking place, big lot for the dogs, heated shop, and perfect for my price range.

The upstairs had 6' ceilings. I'm 6'3".

• Locked thread