Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So last week I had a neighbor directly behind my townhouse move in, and my cable went out at the exact same time. First problem I've had of any kind in literally 10 years. So I called it in, sure enough - my cable has been installed and working for so long that there was no current label on the wire, just a really old one that fell down in the dirt. So the installer assumed it was unused, cut it and installed my neighbor's cable where mine was. So my tech installed a splitter and got me back up and running.

Just looked at my bill, and they're trying to charge me $70 for the service call. In what universe does that make any sense of any kind? Now I realize why everyone else complains about them, I've been so lucky till now. All I've had is fast internet speeds and continuous uptime for a decade.

Oh well, I'm laughing more than complaining, I'm sure they'll erase it off my bill. But just the fact that I have to call in to argue about it at all is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I went through wikipedia entries of movies released in the 70's, and I'd probably guess that my first movie was Return of the Pink Panther in 1976. I remember Inspector Cluseau having random fights with his sidekick, Kato, but otherwise all I know is I saw it.

But the next movie on the list that I remember seeing is Star Wars. I'm probably the youngest age that can remember seeing it first run in the theater, I was 6. I saw it at least 3 times, it was pretty special. The sand people terrified me and when Obi Wan cut the arm off the wolfman in the cantina I almost threw up.

Was pretty lucky to be 7-12 years old in the golden age of Spielberg and Lucas.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Man, sometimes product research really gets me down. I hate buying something when I assume it can do what I think it can, only to find out later that it can't. I just bought a home theater receiver with multiple inputs and one HDMI output, only to learn that it doesn't convert analog video to digital. This is the first time I've bought a receiver in 22 years but still, how much research should someone have to do? I spent a considerable amount of time settling on the unit I did. On the other hand, I really didn't want to spend more than what I did, so I'm out of luck anyway. I've learned that receivers that can A to D are much more expensive.

But I was looking for that really convenient aspect of using the TV as a monitor and the receiver as the only source switcher. I only have one video game that I seldom play so it's really not that big of a deal to switch the TV input IF I decide I want to, but still. And I've seen that they do sell little converter boxes, which would be fine, but how much do I want to spend just to save me literally one second's worth of button pushing, to do an activity that is nothing but button pushing?

Sigh. I guess the Stones were right. I can't get no satisfaction. Not on a budget anyway.

NoWake posted:

This is really giving me the impetus to pick up and move South.

That strikes me as a weird thing to say, unless you really like the humidity and southern culture. Literally everywhere else has curvy roads too. Street view this poo poo that is only 5 minutes from my house: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.498...12!8i6656?hl=en

On the other hand, don't move to Denver. Feels like half the loving plates I see on the highway are from out of state now, from assholes flooding the area from whatever shithole they used to live in, because "they heard Denver was awesome". I mean, I'm a transplant too, but I moved here 18 years ago when house prices were low and you couldn't even buy booze on Sunday.

Man, this guy seems so chill that I want to donate to him just because.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

everdave posted:

My wife decided for the first time in 8 years of being married to hand wash a car. The brand new Prius. With my 2 year old. With dishwashing liquid. With the abrasive dish washing sponges. And just let the 2 year old have free reign in the gravel driveway dropping and picking up the sponge (thus acquiring tiny rocks stuck to it).

I now have literally hundreds of through the paint scratches on our brand loving new car. FML. Oh and I am the rear end in a top hat for getting mad about it.

That is one of my worst nightmares and you are 100% not alone right now. First thing I taught my daughter when washing a car was try to never drop the sponge, and if you do, give it to me to clean the rocks out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cage posted:

Plus now you don't have to worry about people dinging your door in the parking lot.

Plenty more stuff of yours will get ruined and lose value, learn to chill out.

Jesus christ let the man vent. I'm sure he's not going to divorce his wife and shake the baby to death, he just needs to work it out with people who get it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

angryrobots posted:

My youngest puked herself on the way home.

Let me tell you how much I love having to unbuckle a car seat with everything covered in milk and chicken vomit..

Been there bro. My girl was a puker. Rarely got a runny nose, or sore throat, she'd just be like "dad I don't feel so good*BLEAARF*"

The worst was when she puked on a plane. As we were taxiing to take off. Then again 20 minutes later. Then 2 more times when I tried to get her to drink some water. Yes, I was that parent with that kid. Stunk up the whole section of the plane. Made a 2-1/2 hour flight feel like ten.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

gently caress off, home owners association; I'll wash my car if I drat well want to.

I said this myself this week. Normally I don't rock the boat but I needed the car clean and because it's a salvage title car I can't register/drive it for a few weeks.

I used so little water that it didn't even run downhill to my neighbors' places, it just trickled a bit and then stopped. They made the rule during a drought and found that it saved a few bucks on the community bill from idiots who let the hose run while they scrub so they left it in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

At least in America, talking about finances is rather taboo, but most people aren't nearly as financially stable as they seem

It's more like learning about finances in America is taboo. I've met so many people who don't have any idea how money really works, and are just sitting on the edge of disaster at all times. Back in 08 when the economy crashed, so many people I know emptied their 401k accounts while I tried to talk them out of it.

And I'm not even that great myself, I come from bad money habit stock and it's been hell to outgrow it, even at 45 years old I'm still a work in process.

My dad, god bless him, spends every dime he has as soon as he gets it, and taught me to do the same. He always justifies it by calling it an investment but it often just doesn't work out and he loses money in the long run. Things like flipping cars. If he can say he technically didn't lose money then he calls it a win, and often juggles the numbers to convince himself he broke even.

What's sad is that he's already burned through about 70% of the cash he got for his building when he retired and sold it. In just over one year. He has about 9 cars sitting around his house, and spent a bunch remodeling his basement to turn it into a rental property. I really hope he can get the rent he thinks he can because otherwise he won't be able to even pay his bills.

And instead of paying down debt this month, I bought a home theater and a car for my daughter. NO RAGRETS.

• Locked thread