Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hello thread!
Two things:
Guns are cool, especially good ones.
Avacodos are good, but not on everything. A good fresh guacamole on something in a tortilla is pdg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shaved before I went to bed last night (I am an evening shower/shaver guy) and cut myself a little on my chin. Put some pressure on it, band-aid, done. Went to bed.

Woke up this AM, chin felt a little damp so I went oh gently caress... off to the bathroom looked in the mirror, blood smeared all over my face. Turned on the bedroom lights and took a look at the pillowcases and sheets and it looks like the loving Nicole Simpson crime scene in bed. Luckily the latex pillow I use had an additional case on it or else the pillow would have been hosed.

Sheets are now soaking in the washer with a healthy dose of oxy-clean.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 2, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You'll be first on the list SSS.

It's nothing special. My main kit is a Jaeger safety razor and a Tweezerman badger brush and whatever I have for lather soap. I think I'm using Wilkinson Sword Walmart-special stuff right now but I actually think that's part of the problem with nicks. I'm open to recommendations.

Not going to lie though, I have a costco bag of of Gillette good news twin pivoting razors and some edge shaving gel that I go to if I just want a quick shave.

I've also been told I'm weird that I shave in the shower, but drat, shaving in a super hot shower is just so much nicer than standing over a sink.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think my blades are Derbys. They're OK but nothing great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Liquid Communism posted:

Get yourself a styptic pencil. It'll shut those nicks up right away.
Oh drat man, yes. I need to get one of those. A nick usually doesn't turn into a murder scene for me but that's a good idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So I'm was onboarding with yet another delivery service. May as well keep a few in my pocket, right?

So they sent me the contract and asked that I "sign and return immediately". So I read it....

I have to pay for my own background check. Oh... kay. I've had to do that a couple of times with these companies, not a fan, but whatever, one of them panned out decently. I even had a staffing company try to make me pay for my own drug test once though, NOPE.
I have to submit to a drug test, and it can only be done at a facility of their choosing, AND I have to pay for it. :2bong:
Their car requirements are "model year 2000 or newer, with at least 4 seats, and working air conditioning". I'm good on that front, my car left the factory with a total of 4 seats (this would be parcel delivery anyway though, and my passenger seat is currently out of the car because of the loving dispatchers at Amazon).
Under that, "vehicle must have and maintain under 100,000 miles for the duration of our relationship". Wait, what? I have a friend with a 2009 with over 315k. My 2006 has almost 170k. Good loving luck there.
"This contract is valid for one week of our relationship" - there are no provisions for extension. Hahahhaha no.
"<company> does not provide any form of insurance, including liability or contents, including for client contents" AHAHAHAHA gently caress NO I'VE NEVER SEEN A DELIVERY COMPANY NOT PROVIDE AT LEAST INSURANCE ON WHAT I'M TRANSPORTING NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
"Drivers must drive vehicles with no visible damage of any kind, interior or exterior" hahahahahhaaha oh god I drive a GM, any GM more than a couple of years old is shedding paint, and my carpet on the drivers side has holes worn from there my heels rest (while on the gas and while my left foot is looking for something to do)
"Drivers must submit current interior and exterior photos of their vehicles". Exterior photos I get. Interior? If I was expected to pick up people, I would expect that. But for packages? Who the gently caress cares what the inside of the car looks like so long as there's no roaches running around?
"Drivers must wear all black" wow that sounds like a uniform to me, which is a bit against the whole "independent contractor" bit. I can understand "dress professionally", but "dress in all black" is blurring the whole employee vs contractor bit.
"If items are damaged in transit, contractor must repay the cost of the item via payroll deduction, cash, or PayPal" wait paypal or cash wtf
Also they apparently only pay via paypal

The coupe de grace? Binding arbitration that you cannot opt out of.

I needed a good laugh.

haha holy poo poo. gently caress that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know it's been happening since, like, forever, but I'm getting annoyed with companies lowering the weight/volume of product more and more while keeping prices the same and making no note on the package for the consumer to notice.

Latest catch: Pringles. Historically 160 gram can, now 148 grams. 10% less so physically it looks almost the same (You'd need them side by side to notice) but same selling price. I understand costs go up, but you can bet they'd change the label and mention it on a package if they go the other way like :siren: "EXTRA VALUE 10% MORE!!! SAME LOW PRICE!!!" :siren: but silent going the other way.

Also, before anyone shits on them, pringles are awesome and I'll cut anyone who says otherwise.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a very, very vague memory of a drive in of "Who's Killing the Great Chefs of Europe" as a very, very young lad and I am pretty sure I fell asleep in it. I also vaguely remember the Gaiety Theater in Grande Prairie to watch The Empire Strikes back definitely remember Gremlins with my aunts.

I rented Event Horizon with my now wife when we were dating and Sam Neal hosed her up when he had no eyes. To this day she remembers it and it kind of warped her.

e: Sam Neal loving her up when we were dating not sexual in any way

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 7, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KakerMix posted:

Lexus sc300 lower control arms + ball joints are $$$$ as hell, goddamn. There are no aftermarket ones either, but you can use supra ones which are about a third of the price for some reason. Supposedly it messes with the ride a little bit.
Let me introduce you to the world of Porsche, were most things are still available but you just have to mortgage your house or sell your child into prostitution to buy parts.

Possibly both.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jammyozzy posted:

I have put on 4kg (8.8 lbs in fuckhat units) in 2 months in America.

Just went to City BBQ and put on a bit more. Currently assessing the feasibility of building my own smoker at home. This country has issues but you do some stuff right.
That's my problem too. :(

My wife on the otherhand won the genetic lottery. Whenever we go somewhere on holidays and eat like crazy people, she never gains weight. Hell, we went on a 2 week cruise and ate our loving faces off daily, and she lost weight.

totalnewbie posted:

A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Be careful out there. Buy from reputable sources.
Counterfeit bearings are swiftly becoming a huge thing. It's usually from Asia and it's always some P.O.S. impersonating a top-tier product like SKF/Schaeffler. The best of them are becoming drat hard to spot. Not as much of an issue in North America (unless you buy poo poo on ebay or something) but a huge issue in Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa.

e: And enforcement isn't exactly going well

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 8, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nodoze posted:

Back End is good, PM sent

Saving this for the future

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Took the day off today to work around the house in prep for listing it for sale. Got to bed around midnight last night, woke up at 10:15 this am. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept over 10 god drat hours.

Feels good. :)

nm posted:

This gets you in trouble in the us.
Acquaintance of mine got sick and tired of his car getting broken into every few nights so he stayed up one friday night and caught the local crackhead in the act. Immediately called the cops and then he saw him move on to his wife's car a couple minutes later. Said gently caress it, grabbed a croquet mallet and laid into him. Cops came about 10 minutes later, saw the mallet and said it would make everyone's life easier if he just moved it so he wouldn't have to include it in the report.

I am all for cops using their own judgement depending on the circumstances.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Matt Criibabi posted:

Heya AI goons,

I just bought a car a couple weeks ago that is probably going to take over my life and I just wanted to check in with you guys.

She's this lovely lady right here and she's a magical creature:

(1974 Super Beetle. Indeterminate mileage. Runs like a loving champ.)

I posted about her on The Samba, which is a site I didn't even know existed until recently. So my question to AI is, do we trust these guys? I don't necessarily want to have more than one forum in my life, but I didn't see any sort of classic VW thread here... maybe the general VW/porche thread is adequate? I don't know why I trust goons more than other strangers on the internet... it's probably Stockholm syndrome. I just want to do right by her, ya know?
To this day, I've always wanted a nice beetle :3:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The Samba is a good resource, but they are super elitist. Be careful. Most questions will be answered with "use the search bar", which is bullshit and doesn't foster an active community.
I loving hate that. Add to the fact that most forums have absolutely terrible search abilities which make it almost impossible for average people to use. Heaven help you if you need to search for a term that is only 3 letters long. Rennlist is kind of like that too but there only seems to be a few of the regular users that are super elitist and "contribute" by replying "TRY A SEARCH :rolleyes:" and the rest are actually very helpful.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went for a walk with the wife this evening and ran into the local grocery store on the way back. Noticed they had Hawaiian pineapples for $4, and the last time I had one was in September when we were in Hawaii so we picked one up. God drat, it was just as good as I remembered it and even though I wasn't hungry ate drat near half of it.

Hawaiian pineapples really do taste better than the Central American ones we typically get here, and I'm not sure why.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Voted for Rascal because AI, but not going to lie, that blind one tugs at my softie heart.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's still days where beer/liquor is my only source of caloric intake.
This is probably a good portion of my problem.

I think I posted this before, but I quit alcohol for 1 month and I dropped darn near 20lbs and my blood pressure went down something like 15 points. Just from the booze, nothing else. No change in diet, no extra exercise, nothing. Still snacked on poo poo food periodically and still ate fast food a few times a month.

Mostly drink highballs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone recommend a Vegas area resort off the strip but with an awesome pool/lounging area and great food? Prefer something more adult oriented instead of family friendly. Anyone go to Redrock before?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

totalnewbie posted:

Of all the things to impulse buy, a house is really not one of them.
This. Take your time and do not get house buying fever. Look at several and take your time before you plunge. If you are not familiar with homes, pay for a GOOD home inspection and make your offer conditional to it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Siochain posted:

Only until the Bell buyout of MTS goes through fully, then you're into get-hosed-like-the-rest-of-Canada territory :(
Yep as landline and TV business keeps sliding they will do everything they can to prop up profits elsewhere like cell and internet any way they can.

I'm moving to a new build next month and while my internet service is fibre right to the home which is great, I am handcuffed to Telus for the foreseeable future because the CRTC hasn't opened that up to the 3rd party providers yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Selling our house and finally all staged and ready for professional photography tomorrow.

Actually living in a what amounts to a show home loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus dude I am so sorry.

• Locked thread