Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A counterfeit spark plug came in to the office today. Looked pretty good at first glance. Only some really small details gave it away. Well, that and throwing it in the xray machine, but who's got one of those at home?

Be careful out there. Buy from reputable sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

spog posted:

I would like to know more about this.

slidebite posted:

Counterfeit bearings are swiftly becoming a huge thing. It's usually from Asia and it's always some P.O.S. impersonating a top-tier product like SKF/Schaeffler. The best of them are becoming drat hard to spot. Not as much of an issue in North America (unless you buy poo poo on ebay or something) but a huge issue in Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa.

e: And enforcement isn't exactly going well

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp that rules out Amazon, thanks to their "oh same SKU from multiple resellers? no prob, let's just mix all of them!".

I need to do plugs again sometime this year... I think the owner's manual suggests every 80k? I'm sitting around 70k on these, which are the AC Delco model # that supersedes the original plug part number.

Not much to say. Customer bought a double precious metal spark plug from Amazon, which had some pretty terrible reviews, which is unusual. Objectively speaking, NGK and Denso make the best plugs and even Bosch is pretty alright. There shouldn't be a lot to complain about from a consumer's point of view.

Anyway, sent it to us and with the naked eye, I could spot a couple things that looked weird - bad ground electrode weld, bad center electrode weld, the crimp looked off, the insulator marking was weird, lot number didn't match the production location on the box (or what would make sense for us logistically), the other markings on the metal shell was weird, insulator shape was slightly wrong, maybe some other problems here and there. But none of those things was obviously wrong. Well, and internal resistance was out of spec low, but there are also low and high resistance spark plugs.

Under the microscope, it looked much more like the center and ground electrodes weren't actually precious metal.

In the x-ray machine, it was missing internal components that our plugs have and the terminal shape didn't match ours (inside the insulator) so it was much more obviously fake based on that.

Because we're a large manufacturer, we run into counterfeits not uncommonly so we have a rep at Amazon who will help us take care of this stuff. Our Aftermarket VP gave them a call and I assume took care of that particular storefront, but there's bound to be others out there.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

totalnewbie, you're probably the one to ask about this. Do 4 wire (assuming narrowband, as the emissions sticker states O2 instead of A/F, but it's a 4 wire) O2 sensors eventually wear out, or do they just quit working, or does the ECU just compensate over time? My mileage is still decent, oil consumption is basically nil (I'm pretty sure most of the 1.5 quarts I lose between 8-9k oil changes is from the valve cover gasket), but I'm coming up on 170k on the original sensors.

4 wires could mean wide-range if it's Denso. They make a thimble-type 1-cell wide-range sensor, but it's not as good as the 2-cell planar-type wide-range sensors NTK and Bosch makes. NTK and Bosch don't make 1-cell wide-range sensors. Modern switching sensors for cars will always have 4 wires - 2 for heater, 2 for element. The emissions requirements are way too strict these days to really go with anything less.

Anyway, to answer your question in a word: no. There ARE aging effects in the sensor, but they will stabilize after X miles. The ECU doesn't compensate for sensor aging, but it will set a P-code if sensor performance is not as expected, whether it's due to exhaust leak, open/short, or poisoning (lead or silicone are two common sources). OEMs all test with aged sensors to make sure emissions are still within spec.

If your sensor isn't setting a code, there's no need to replace it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 9, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

spog posted:

Are you able to share pictures of it? I am curious to see what a fake looks like.

Also, what was 'wrong' with it? i.e.if you stuck it in your engine, what would the issues be?

It looks just like a normal spark plug. They are very good fakes, these days.

Some of the reviews apparently said they were breaking insulators on installation but I imagine that the primary failure mode (other than mechanical breakage) would be puncture of the insulator leading to misfires.

Maaaaaybe PI due to poor thermal conductivity but mm, I doubt it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Amazon is still famous for mixing anything with the same SKU, no matter who sells it (because nobody would ever produce a counterfeit product and slap the same barcode on it :rolleyes:). They've gotten better about it, but it's still a frequent occurrence with them, despite claims to the contrary.

Mom's car does use a 4 wire Denso, and the sticker under the hood states it uses an A/F sensor instead of O2 sensor. No idea who the OEM is for mine (GM), but if it helps, NTK 21546 is a direct replacement. I assume NTK or Denso is the OEM.

I do have one sensor giving a code, but the wires going to it were nibbled on by rodents. It's just unplugged for now as it kept popping the emissions fuse (it's the post-cat sensor) until I can afford a new one.

I'm not too familiar with Toyota's strategy, but I think they end up using the 1-cell wide-range both up and downstream.

What year/engine is your car? GM uses NTK, Denso, and Bosch sensors. I'm almost certain they don't use any Conti O2 sensors.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie posted:

It looks just like a normal spark plug. They are very good fakes, these days.

Some of the reviews apparently said they were breaking insulators on installation but I imagine that the primary failure mode (other than mechanical breakage) would be puncture of the insulator leading to misfires.

Maaaaaybe PI due to poor thermal conductivity but mm, I doubt it.

Oh, I forgot, duh... because the precious metal tips are probably not actually precious metal at all, durability will be complete dogshit. Few thousand miles at most, more if your engine is more tolerant to large spark plug gaps.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
GM and other OEMs aren't stupid. They'll take those credits all the way to the bank and keep on developing strategies to reduce emissions for expected future emissions requirements, as well as Euro 7 China 6, etc.

I guess I should say, they're all probably stupid but not THAT stupid that they just stop development work and pretend like loose standards are here to stay. Plus, it's not like they have a choice, unless they want to only sell cars in the US and also not in California, neither of which are feasible.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

2006 model year, June 2005 build date. Ecotec 2.2 (L61), specifically in the Saturn Ion, though I don't think that makes much of a difference - I think all of the L61 engines for that model year were the same except for the version in the HHR (which added flex fuel capability, but AFAIK that's just an ethanol sensor in the tank and a different tune, and probably some fuel system parts to handle the extra corrosiveness of E85).

I'm pretty sure it has NTK or Denso on it. The Boschs I've seen looked a bit different, anyway (seemed like they had a thicker body).. Still runs great at nearly 170k, still gets close to advertised mileage even when driven in anger.

Pretty sure that's Denso upstream and NTK downstream. Both switching sensors, though, definitely.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Darchangel posted:

She seems to like the Rebel and has been focusing (heh) on it.

I'd get a used pro-sumer DSLR and not the Rebel. 40D, 50D, etc. Point is to have better access to manual controls. Just IMO but I think the Rebel series and those types of cameras fall into kind of an uncanny valley where it's automated enough where it's awkward to adjust manually but still manual enough where it's not as convenient as just a point-and-click.

Either get a point-and-click (or a mirrorless) and focus on composition - because it's the photographer that makes the photos - or get a DSLR that is full-featured.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ferremit posted:

On camera chat, I absolutely love my EOS 7D. Its only the Mk1 version, but it still outdoes my abilities as a photographer. I dont have the disposable cash for L series glass so I have to make do with USM lenses but the 10-22 wide angle is a BRILLIANT lens for landscape photography and has an absolutely insane minimum focal length of about 1 foot, so you can really gently caress about with shallow depth of field and close up.

I also use my iphone for 90% of my photos cos its easier to put on facebook :v:

Should have bought the 6D if you want wide angles :v:

That's one big thing to consider when buying a camera: a crop sensor will give you a good (1.6x for Canon) bang-for-your-buck value on telephoto lenses but a full-frame will give you better picture quality and better wider shots. They're also more expensive but them's the breaks. I think 6D is the cheapest full-frame.

The other big consideration is whether the camera will be used for photos or videos. I got a 6D primarily because I'm not interested in doing video. If I had wanted to do video, I would have gotten a 7D without question. The disparity in capability between the two is huge.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Of all the things to impulse buy, a house is really not one of them.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Does anyone have a new Malibu 1.8L hybrid? PM me please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I see you're new to this whole GM thing?

It's much more a Chrysler thing.

Don't get me wrong, it happens at GM just like anywhere else, but engineers do have some say at GM.

• Locked thread